PDA

View Full Version : A little prayer to Ian Bell and his team

Silvano
25-05-2015, 07:50
Hello,

First lemme tell you I love this sim, its the best I ever had and I started with GTR so its a long way. PCars is brilliant really, grafics, physics and sounds.

But...one thing really is irritating me as i feel like being a overprotected baby.

I dont know if I am the only one....why for heaven sake cant we pit manualy? after 10 years of simracing I sure can handle piting in and out, at least better than AI that crashes ( at Spa its obvious ) that being said, if this sim is toward realism, not only the gearing of cars has to be realistic ( as it is ) but also the piting in my opinion.

So my point is, please make the piting assistance as a option.

Thank you

Regards,
Silvano

Nightfall
25-05-2015, 07:54
Counter argument: People will purposely stop and block the pits, just to ruin others game. These people are out there, I assure you. Not to mention some of the pit entrances are quite narrow. What happens when somebody awkwardly crashes and wedges their car in the entrance?

BMASTER
25-05-2015, 07:58
Counter argument: People will purposely stop and block the pits, just to ruin others game. These people are out there, I assure you. Not to mention some of the pit entrances are quite narrow. What happens when somebody awkwardly crashes and wedges their car in the entrance?

Those People are out there, but that doesn't mean, we shouldn't be able to pit manually. After all, pcars is supposed to be a sim.

PTG Claret
25-05-2015, 08:17

They could press the car reset button, and learn to drive the pit line correctly.

As for people blocking the pit lane, I never though of that, and besides ghosting cars in the pit lane, I have no idea how to counter it.

Unless of course, we were given a carmageddon style spring on the front to deal with them pesky buggers.......

Mrbrown33
25-05-2015, 08:22
All valid points, should be a game setting.

dungeonseeker
25-05-2015, 08:24
Cars ghost in the pit lanes anyway, yesterday my race engineer let me go straight in the path on an oncoming racer but I just drove straight through him.

Nightfall
25-05-2015, 08:25
They could press the car reset button

I didn't even think about that, honestly even forgot there was a reset button. No matter how bad of a crash I have I just can't bring myself to magically teleport my car back onto the track. Good point.

ghosting cars in the pit lane

Okay, I rescind my entire counter argument. :o

AshenShugar
25-05-2015, 08:42
They could press the car reset button, and learn to drive the pit line correctly.

As for people blocking the pit lane, I never though of that, and besides ghosting cars in the pit lane, I have no idea how to counter it.

Unless of course, we were given a carmageddon style spring on the front to deal with them pesky buggers.......

This was very common in GTR2 public MP where these lost souls would just sit in front of your garage door, there is simply nothing the player can do to get out of the pit then.
Or these fools would just plain not give a crap and plow into pit lane at full speed. Another good one was those who decided it would be fun to drive around the track in the opposite direction including pitlane. Time penalties are not going to stop these types only kick/ban & thats juist not possible in public.

Another thing to consider there area fair few haters out there, when PCars eventually ends up on sale, this could lead to some very bad public MP.

Silvano
25-05-2015, 08:46
All valid points, should be a game setting.

I see I am not the only one to think of that as a option, lets hope WMD will see this and react.

Forgot to mention I drive offline but I understand your point for onliners, alltough if the server as the option set to pitlane assistance, all these problems in multi would not be.

AB_Attack
25-05-2015, 08:50
I can see both pros and cons but it does add immersion to manual pitstops. In Race 07 you get harshly penalised if you drive too fast in the pitlane and there is a button for controlling pitlane speed like in real life. It should be optional to auto-pitstop or manual pitstop.

Cars ghost in the pit lanes anyway, yesterday my race engineer let me go straight in the path on an oncoming racer but I just drove straight through him.

Same when ai exited the pit and I was passing by on-track. Ghosting.

JDFSSS
25-05-2015, 08:59
This was very common in GTR2 public MP where these lost souls would just sit in front of your garage door, there is simply nothing the player can do to get out of the pit then.
Or these fools would just plain not give a crap and plow into pit lane at full speed. Another good one was those who decided it would be fun to drive around the track in the opposite direction including pitlane. Time penalties are not going to stop these types only kick/ban & thats juist not possible in public.

Another thing to consider there area fair few haters out there, when PCars eventually ends up on sale, this could lead to some very bad public MP.

That's easily solved by simply allowing ghosting in pit lane. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to drive our cars in pit lane.

AshenShugar
25-05-2015, 09:43
Ghosting may appear on initial look as a fix. However what happens when 2 or more ghosting cars hit the track proper at the same time? They suddenly become solid, this could easily be abused by those trolls out there.

The current system has safe release, now with ghosting cars and drivers in full control, even if it isn't trolling who is going to give way to the impending line of doom if cars are merged?

Another issue this would require a pit lane speed limiter this mean you have to have a dedicated button assigned, this is an issue for game pad players. Then you have to have pit lane speeding penalties, you can see the whinge threads coming from that one.

One massive advantage with the current system. You have time to make tweeks to your pitstop. In real racing you just tell your pit what you want, we cannot do this in game so those few seconds you have you have the ability to make those changes.

dustyjo
25-05-2015, 11:14
Ghosting may appear on initial look as a fix. However what happens when 2 or more ghosting cars hit the track proper at the same time? They suddenly become solid, this could easily be abused by those trolls out there.

Most games that use a ghosting system check to make sure two cars aren't intersecting before de-ghosting.

Sankyo
25-05-2015, 11:29
Hello,

First lemme tell you I love this sim, its the best I ever had and I started with GTR so its a long way. PCars is brilliant really, grafics, physics and sounds.

But...one thing really is irritating me as i feel like being a overprotected baby.

I dont know if I am the only one....why for heaven sake cant we pit manualy? after 10 years of simracing I sure can handle piting in and out, at least better than AI that crashes ( at Spa its obvious ) that being said, if this sim is toward realism, not only the gearing of cars has to be realistic ( as it is ) but also the piting in my opinion.

So my point is, please make the piting assistance as a option.

Thank you

Regards,
Silvano

The auto-pit was shipped in the retail version because the manual pit functionality wasn't complete at release time. I'm not into the details but AFAIK manual pitting is still on the list just like the animated pit crew, but it needs more time to be made perfect.

JDFSSS
25-05-2015, 13:13
Another issue this would require a pit lane speed limiter this mean you have to have a dedicated button assigned, this is an issue for game pad players. Then you have to have pit lane speeding penalties, you can see the whinge threads coming from that one.

You don't have to have a button to obey a pit lane limit. It's nice to have one, but not a necessity. If someone complains about getting a speeding penalty, their complaint is not legitimate. It would be their own fault for speeding, not the game's. I don't see the issue here.

One massive advantage with the current system. You have time to make tweeks to your pitstop. In real racing you just tell your pit what you want, we cannot do this in game so those few seconds you have you have the ability to make those changes.

There's no reason the game can't have a menu that you can navigate through to make changes to your pit strategy as you are racing or driving into the pits. Also, the current pit strategy feature in the game needs some work. It doesn't seem to work and gives me pit strategies I set up for other races. Maybe the game should prompt you to set up a pit strategy before every race, if you haven't already.

I don't see any legit reason to not have manual pitting in a racing sim imo. This is not supposed to be an arcade game AFAIK.

DragonSyr
25-05-2015, 13:35
ghosting every car which is stationary more than 5-10 secs , no matter is in pits or in the track..... a very good solution for all those problems

AB_Attack
25-05-2015, 13:42
That is a massive advantage. And I would be happy having only auto-pitstops as long as catch (no wall hitting) and release (spacing, no ghosting) are smooth.

But like Van Dijk writes, manual pitstops will probably show eventually so that's cool. :ghost:

Francorchamps
25-05-2015, 14:49

I even think they should start the automatic pitstop much earlier on some pits. I remember getting stuck in one of my first offline races. :cool: