PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Need for Speed Shift 2

gp20
25-05-2015, 10:41
I bought NFS 2 on PS3 but never played it. I found it not fine with the controller.

Now that i look back, PC looks to me like the Need for Speed Shift 3 on PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAm1YmV-Pw

gp20
25-05-2015, 10:52
Damned it looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKNjFv4DRF0

Sankyo
25-05-2015, 10:59
Now that i look back, PC looks to me like the Need for Speed Shift 3 on PS4.

You mean that graphically they look similar? That's not surprising when the developer is the same, it's their graphics style.

Do you mean that both games have a lot of cars in them and it's about racing? No comment needed then.

Do you mean that pCARS is a sort of successor of Shift 2, an update? That couldn't be further from the truth. Physics engine is improved, new tyre model (most important part of the physis engine), career mode is totally different, and also the approach to supporting it through the game's lifecycle is totally different.

gp20
25-05-2015, 11:03
You mean that graphically they look similar? That's not surprising when the developer is the same, it's their graphics style.
Yes, graphically they look similar if not identical.
The graphic environment seems to be richer on PS3 but of course in 1080p on PS4.

Do you mean that pCARS is a sort of successor of Shift 2, an update?
That's my thoughts when i watch these videos. It looks like they use the same elements (graphics and sounds).

gp20
25-05-2015, 12:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tooel6w4Sb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYTStVLaBs

cluck
25-05-2015, 12:24
Think you might have posted the same video twice there ;).

And as Remco has stated, the basic underlying 'engine' is the same (the Madness Engine) but it has been completely overhauled for Project CARS, not just in the physics side but also with the dynamic lighting and other weather effects. The games are only similar in as much as they involve racing a variety of cars around a variety of tracks but that's where the similarity ends.

As for 'using the same graphics', nope, SMS would be treading on very thin ground if they reused any assets from Shift or Shift 2. Those of us who part-funded the game have seen the cars and tracks develop from VERY basic assets (no more than a simple strip of tarmac floating in space - what became known as 'ribbon in the sky') to the fully-fleshed out tracks you see in the released game.

John Hargreaves
25-05-2015, 12:40
Imagine that the shift games were part of SMS learning their craft before going on to create their true vision.

Its like how Ridley Scott started off doing (excellent) bread commercials in the 70s and cut his teeth in TV before making Alien, and the rest was history. If you trace back the SMS lineage a lot of those guys started out in the modding community and created some notable sims on PC before the shift games, but they weren‘t quite so free to follow their own vision at that time, hence the WMD project and where we are today.

gp20
25-05-2015, 12:46
Lol, sorry guys, i feel that you want to sell me something. Too late, i already bought PC. ;)

Dorny
25-05-2015, 12:50
They use the same madness engine, but Pcars is an extra 4-5 years of extra development on that same engine. And its the same artists and developers so there is going to be a same or similar art style. Overall they look similar but when you start to look at the individual assets and etc they are different. For example car models in Shift 2 are 40-60k polygons in Pcars they are 250k polygons.

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 12:54
God I loved the shift serie to death...maybe not an "ultra realistic sim" but damn those games came the closest to making you feel like you were actually driving a monster at racepace...The sounds..The helmetcam..it was a whole different approach for the NFS series but it was a damn good approach.

Speaking of which are there any helmetcam setup options advised to get the closest to the experience of shift? G-force impact,movement of environment?

Sankyo
25-05-2015, 13:05
God I loved the shift serie to death...maybe not an "ultra realistic sim" but damn those games came the closest to making you feel like you were actually driving a monster at racepace...The sounds..The helmetcam..it was a whole different approach for the NFS series but it was a damn good approach.

Speaking of which are there any helmetcam setup options advised to get the closest to the experience of shift? G-force impact,movement of environment?

Can't remember S2U well enough, but helmet shake and world movement will go a long way (can't tell you what numbers to put it), plus a FOV setting that gives you the right amount of speed sensation (higher FOV = higher speed sensation).

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 13:08
Can't remember S2U well enough, but helmet shake and world movement will go a long way (can't tell you what numbers to put it), plus a FOV setting that gives you the right amount of speed sensation (higher FOV = higher speed sensation).

Bedankt! ;) Will give it some tests,pretty sure if I hit the sweet spot I'm never leaving Pcars again

gp20
25-05-2015, 13:31
They use the same madness engine, but Pcars is an extra 4-5 years of extra development on that same engine. And its the same artists and developers so there is going to be a same or similar art style. Overall they look similar but when you start to look at the individual assets and etc they are different. For example car models in Shift 2 are 40-60k polygons in Pcars they are 250k polygons.
Are you sure? There are squares on cars, you have to look closer of course.

John Hargreaves
25-05-2015, 13:39
Detail on any given model depends on distance from the camera, and I think it‘s only the PC version ultra setting that has so many polygons in the models.
As for wanting to sell you something, it‘s not that exactly, but it‘s a fair observation.All that is just the enthusiasm that WMD members have built up over the last few years as we have seen the magic that SMS have pulled off, so sorry, we do get a little giddy sometimes.

gp20
25-05-2015, 15:25
Detail on any given model depends on distance from the camera, and I think it‘s only the PC version ultra setting that has so many polygons in the models.
Probably, not on PS4.

wraithsrike
25-05-2015, 16:05
Loved Shift one, shift 2 was a massive disappointment for me, the steering lag just killed the game and the developers did nothing to rectify it, that was one of my major concerns about getting PCars as I swore I'd never buy another game by those developer's, but seeing as I didn't know if it was SMS or EA that just shipped it and forgot it I thought I'd give SMS another chance.

I can see and feel touches of the shift series in project car's but mostly only the good bits but the game itself plays out completely different imho.

MysterG
25-05-2015, 16:14
Loved Shift one, shift 2 was a massive disappointment for me, the steering lag just killed the game and the developers did nothing to rectify it, that was one of my major concerns about getting PCars as I swore I'd never buy another game by those developer's, but seeing as I didn't know if it was SMS or EA that just shipped it and forgot it I thought I'd give SMS another chance.

I can see and feel touches of the shift series in project car's but mostly only the good bits but the game itself plays out completely different imho.

Any fixes (or lack of) to S2U were down to the publisher. They are in charge.
Just another reason why dumping a publisher and going it alone is a great choice. Now SMS can make the decisions and choose to support something for more than 5 minutes.

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 16:16

I had the luck there was a strong modding community that fixed that issue on pc on their own although I got used to the handling on the 360 and loved it as well...do miss the blur you got at higher speeds though,don't think Pcars has this or did I look over this setting?

gp20
25-05-2015, 16:21
It has with helmet view.

MysterG
25-05-2015, 16:28
TBH I liked a lot of the effects that the Shift series had, colour draining and blurring on impact etc.. gave you even more incentive not to crash, and relayed some of the disorientation you miss when sat on your couch in socks, rather than in a car that's just hit the Armco at 100mph ....

wraithsrike
25-05-2015, 16:29
Any fixes (or lack of) to S2U were down to the publisher. They are in charge.
Just another reason why dumping a publisher and going it alone is a great choice. Now SMS can make the decisions and choose to support something for more than 5 minutes.

Trouble is most people like myself don't know this, I played shift 1 to death I loved that game, but then years passed before S2 so I moved on tothe Forza series.

When S2 was finally released I was so chuffed that was until I played it, after coming from the Forza franchise I was disappointed with the graphics but mostly the steering the lag was unbelievable, I honestly thought they've got to patch this the internet was alive with complaints but they did nothing.

I looked to see who developed the game and I see SMS and EA and I thought that's it never again will I buy a game from these people and to this day I haven't.

I've only given SMS a chance because Forza just doesn't do it for me anymore, yes I've finished F5 but it might as well of been F3 for all the difference between them, forza is not about motorsport anymore and that was the fix I needed.

I along with my boy got pCars on day one and yes elements of the shift series hit home Inc the naff steering but that said I've not looked back.

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 16:33
TBH I liked a lot of the effects that the Shift series had, colour draining and blurring on impact etc.. gave you even more incentive not to crash, and relayed some of the disorientation you miss when sat on your couch in socks, rather than in a car that's just hit the Armco at 100mph ....

those crashes were scary as hell,just the sound alone,you think they'll ever add that or is that too risky for being accused of stealing gameplay/assets?

wraithsrike
25-05-2015, 16:41
HATED the blurred view always longed for a way to turn it off, and the grip physics were rubbish way to arcade, the physics in PCars for the most part ( colds not included) are brilliant as is the whole game to be honest yes there are bits missing and for me career feels a bit flat, but I see a bright future.

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 16:41
It has with helmet view.

only blurs my dash

blacknred81
25-05-2015, 18:53
Is it me or does everyone seem to forget that Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends also ran on the Madness engine and was released between Shift 2 an Project CARS. As I felt that there were improvements between Shift 2 and TD: FRL

Ian Bell
25-05-2015, 18:53
Is it me or does everyone seem to forget that Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends also ran on the Madness engine and was released between Shift 2 an Project CARS

That one was with Sumo for two years. We took it back at the end to get it working on a tiny budget.

gp20
25-05-2015, 19:52
Not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZT4Ge02-8

madmax2069
25-05-2015, 20:06
If it wasnt for the laggy controls with a controller on shift 2 on PS3 I would have loved it (and no it wasnt due to display lag, as I only had a CRT tv back in the day), but the delayed input (from when you pressed the thumbstick to the time it reacted on the car was quite large) The crossover speed was absurdly slow (when you went from full left thumbstick input to full right thumbstick input) made it almost impossible to counter steer (really noticeable when drifting).

This was my biggest worry about Project Cars, when using a controller it doesnt have the delay that shift 2 had, switching to mode 2 makes the crossover speed so much faster, heck even mode 3 crossover speed was faster then the crossover speed in shift 2. Project cars sort of makes up for this by having more settings to set up how you want your controller to work and respond, the reason why I say sort of makes up for it is due to no way of setting up what the 3 modes set up (should be another advanced mode setting so we can get more controller settings).

If it wasnt for the control issues with a controller I would have love shift 2.

Kingleo
25-05-2015, 20:14
IMO and from what I remember.

as stated before
WMD/Project Cars was born out of frustration in the forums of nogripracing and others after the release of Shift2.
SMS, for all intents and purposes, had their hands tied by EA when it came to continued support for the title. Time and resources were regulated to DLC (legends pack) or nothing at all instead of the fixes the game needed.

Juho Turunen
25-05-2015, 20:17
I loved Shift-series. Don't hate me for saying this...but i liked career mode in Shift-series better than in PC.

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 20:22
I loved Shift-series. Don't hate me for saying this...but i liked career mode in Shift-series better than in PC.

yeah me too but that was more because of the blingbling presentation I think,the progression was nice but I'm forcing myself the progression in Pcars at the moment,I want to have earned driving a formula A car or Endurance so I'm not skipping anything,people who complain there's no progression just lack some discipline...do miss Gittin Jr though haha

Juho Turunen
25-05-2015, 20:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR1Qq28uMx8

This is from Shift 1. With few mods that game was SWEEEET!

Machinist90
25-05-2015, 20:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR1Qq28uMx8

This is from Shift 1. With few mods that game was SWEEEET!

just the sense of speed...ugh,makes me want to dust off the disc again

Juho Turunen
25-05-2015, 20:46
just the sense of speed...ugh,makes me want to dust off the disc again

I really liked the sense of speed too and those replay angles!