PDA

View Full Version : PS4 overheating with Pcars !

Falconeye
25-05-2015, 14:25
Hi,

My PS4 is very hot and making a lot of noise (fan) each time I am playing Pcars. Even when I am in menu and not running, my PS4 seems to have its processor always at 100%

Is processor occpancy optimised on PS4 ? I have some doubts...

Hope this game will not damage my console....

Waiting for a patch that may resolve this issue...

kaerdanne
25-05-2015, 14:31
Check the holes around the ps4, mine were filled with some dust that was easily removed

RedDave84
25-05-2015, 14:32
Mine is the same, the game is just pushing the console. It is the graphics fan thats whizzing its balls off. Make sure there is no dust on your console and raise it up slightly to increase air flow if you can. It needs space at the back as well to vent all that hot air. It can handle it so long as there is good air flow.

FoxMulder
25-05-2015, 14:42
Im not looking forward to summer time with 30C in my room. :grey: rip in pieces PS4

Falconeye
25-05-2015, 14:59
I have no dust arround holes and coparing to other games, my console is making too much noise. Even in menu the PS4 seems to be at 100%, it is not normal.

It on an open TV support made from glass. The glass is very hot when the PS4 is running.

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 15:01
Use a small desk fan maybe?

RedDave84
25-05-2015, 16:13
I have no dust arround holes and coparing to other games, my console is making too much noise. Even in menu the PS4 seems to be at 100%, it is not normal.

It on an open TV support made from glass. The glass is very hot when the PS4 is running.

There isn't enough air flow.

MysterG
25-05-2015, 16:16
To quote the boss

We are pushing every core of the PS4 to 99%+ under heavy load. The GPU is worked to hell and back at above 95% at all times.

DragonSyr
25-05-2015, 16:18
same threat.... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24235-pCARS-overheating-PS4

nhraracer
25-05-2015, 18:03
What do you guys think of this? It's a piggyback intercooler.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J128FO6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Equation
25-05-2015, 18:34
Im not looking forward to summer time with 30C in my room. :grey: rip in pieces PS4

That's why I change better thermal compund and better thermal pads to my PS4.

GitRirish
25-05-2015, 18:36
Hey guys.

Im not one for add on gadgets but in my tv my ps4 got super hot and the fans ran for some time after shutdown to cool her.

I went to bestbuy and bought the vertical stand/intercooler and duel controller charging ports. I noticed a huge difference. And it shuts right down fans and all.

Hope that helps

madmax2069
25-05-2015, 18:48
If your PS4 was really overheating that white light would be a red light and your system would shut down.

The high fan speed is just the cooling system doing its job.

About the only thing to make sure of is to make sure the system is in the open (not in a area that prohibits air flow, and vacuum the vent holes out every once in a while (to limit the dust build up inside of those holes.

Hey guys.

Im not one for add on gadgets but in my tv my ps4 got super hot and the fans ran for some time after shutdown to cool her.

I went to bestbuy and bought the vertical stand/intercooler and duel controller charging ports. I noticed a huge difference. And it shuts right down fans and all.

Hope that helps

When you put the system into rest mode the built in fan always stays active (it slowly ramps down in speed until it hits a very low speed).

Gloomy
25-05-2015, 20:06
My ps4 use to do this with quite a few games when I had it set vertically, gta5, dragon age, far cry4, pretty much every game would do it. It didn't even take long either, even short hour sessions the fans would kick on like a jet engine, I thought it was normal. After placing my ps4 horizontally it rarely kicks the fans on to that extent anymore. I've never heard the fans turn on with project cars yet.

Bounkass
25-05-2015, 20:52
What do you guys think of this? It's a piggyback intercooler.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J128FO6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

No! Things like this only make matters worse. Forcing air in creates friction between the air molecules causing the air to heat up (much like a turbo on a car). Yes, compressing air heates up.

It might not heat up much, but a little can already be too much with games like this.

A small desk fan blowing over the whole PS4 should work well, however. Since it's not forced in.

madmax2069
25-05-2015, 21:00
About the only thing I dont like about the PS4s design is there is no real way to clean the dust out in the system without voiding the warranty

MiZtErNiCe
25-05-2015, 22:48
My X1 runs normal with Project cars knew it would not take long for the console trolling to begin :(

Umer Ahmad
25-05-2015, 23:03
My PC can beat up your consoles, jk.

Yeah guys, keep your units clean, good airflow ALL directions. Use the correct "orientation" so all the vents are open (maybe that means veritacl or horizontL idk). Next step is a laptop cooler with fans or point a small desk at it for extra cooling

Umer Ahmad
25-05-2015, 23:03

Yeah guys, keep your units clean, good airflow ALL directions. Use the correct "orientation" so all the vents are open (maybe that means veritacl or horizontL idk). Next step is a laptop cooler with fans or point a small desk at it for extra cooling

Spiderx
25-05-2015, 23:11
Do not use a fan the probability of you pushing Hot air back in like some stupid guy did ( with is laptop ) eheh is huge .. i actually burned down the laptop playing LFS because of that :P

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 23:15

That made me laugh.... :friendly_wink:

Umer Ahmad
26-05-2015, 00:09
gotta stop moderating on iphone someday

RedDave84
26-05-2015, 07:10
That intercooler would actually be a very good idea. I think I'll get one for fathers day hehe

It doesn't blow air in to the console, it attaches to the rear and helps remove the hot air away from the console, thus easing the job of the PS4 fans and making them more efficient.

lordymatsuo
26-05-2015, 07:28
Hi,

My PS4 is very hot and making a lot of noise (fan) each time I am playing Pcars. Even when I am in menu and not running, my PS4 seems to have its processor always at 100%

Is processor occpancy optimised on PS4 ? I have some doubts...

Hope this game will not damage my console....

Waiting for a patch that may resolve this issue...

Hi, I had this exact same problem, my solution so far has been to make sure there is plenty of room around the playstation, have it lay flat and the biggest thing for me was pulling it away from the wall so hot air can kick out the back more freely. I have my PS4 on my desk and was as close to the wall as the cables would allow, since moving it 6 inches out from the wall I have not had a single crash (fingers crossed) this is my solution for now but hopefully an optimization patch will also follow later on.

Ally_bassman
26-05-2015, 14:15
It's amazing how much dust and crap formed in the cooling vents, so make sure they are clear.

I use a can of compressed air to blow out dust and crap. I blow the gas in the front and have the vacuum cleaner at the other end to suck it all out.

Keep it horizontal and raised on stilts to allow air to flow underneath of the unit - this will help.

BSDShoes
26-05-2015, 14:36
Where is your PS4 located? Mine is standing up in an open area on the TV stand, I also have an Xbox One that's sitting on the bottom middle of the TV stand and it gets hot despite it venting in only one spot (the CPU). If you have it in a tight cabinet with less than 3 inches of space around the console then it's going to get hot.

Slicker_VR
26-05-2015, 15:40
No! Things like this only make matters worse. Forcing air in creates friction between the air molecules causing the air to heat up (much like a turbo on a car). Yes, compressing air heates up.

It might not heat up much, but a little can already be too much with games like this.

A small desk fan blowing over the whole PS4 should work well, however. Since it's not forced in.

i have one like this - it doesn't force air in, it sucks it out the back of the console, in cooperation with the internal fan - and it works,. my ps4 runs a lot cooler and the internal fan very rarely goes into 'turbo' mode

VR-42
26-05-2015, 15:47

I have one of these and it sucks air out. the amount of heat you can feel being sucked out is amazing. best thing I have brought in ages apart from project cars

TheStigsCanadianCousin
26-05-2015, 19:54
Here's why. Project Cars is running the CPU at 99% and GPU at 95%. Do that for too long and it'll definitely cause some overheating.

http://ps4daily.com/2015/05/project-cars-uses-99-of-ps4s-cpu-and-95-of-gpu-power/

trey85
15-07-2015, 21:10
I had the same problem the fan just started making a lot of noise out of know were. simple, open the bottom case you will be able to see the fan clean it , I used earbuds and make sure you clean filters you can just barely see them behind the fan(very important) . finish by blowing off the dirt or use blow dryer.

if you worried about opening your ps4 just look up how to open ps4. its simple just 4 screws done.

madmax2069
15-07-2015, 21:52
Those intercoolers actually restrict airflow more then they help, the fan inside the PS4 can move more air then those 3 fans combined in the intercooler.

I'll never attach one of those things on my system.

I constantly keep my system clean, it doesn't go into turbo mode when playing.