PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Lobby List Design - What Do You Think?

Luke Townsend
25-05-2015, 14:50
Something SMS may like to consider (maybe they are already) is adding more information to the online list of lobbies. There are a few posts asking for this, so I've taken what I've read on this forum, plus a couple of my own ideas.

Here is a suggestion for a more informative lobby list:

Extra information available is:

Specific car type, if only one type is allowed
Length of race in laps or time (if/when time-limited races are available) instead of short/long
Restrictions shown by icons: Force Interior view | Force manual gears | Force realistic driving aids
Assists Allowed shown by icons: Allow ABS | Allow stability control
Number of friends in each game shown in brackets after player count
Status shows Lobby/Practice/Qualifying/Warmup/Racing instead of just Lobby/Racing

So not every detail of each race still but hopefully covers the most important things. Some things still missing are time of day, weather, damage level, flags and penalties.

What do you think? Would this allow you to find the online games you want to play more easily? Or over-complicated? For me personally, I would like to find games that are racing certain cars (e.g. Clio Cup, Formula Rookie etc.) If you're a GT3-only player then that might not interest you, but you may like to see what assists are available, and also what games your friends are playing in. Anything to add/remove or change? (Icons are just examples - SMS artists would no doubt do a much better job!)

Be good to know what other players reckon, and SMS too if they find this of interest.

For quick comparison, here's the current lobby list:

hostaman
25-05-2015, 16:50
+10000000000

Although I would go much further, I would basically like to be able to set (and save) a search filter so I only get (public) races with auto, no damage, no forced in car view, 5min qualifying or less only, etc.

The number of games with 15 minutes of Qualifying for a 2 lap race is hysterical!

Luke Townsend
25-05-2015, 18:06
Really glad you like the ideas, hostaman! Having a more powerful search filter as well as you say would definitely help locate the races someone is interested in.

eduardxw
25-05-2015, 21:31
Is it possible to change the number of current online games ?
I have almost everytime, 50
Thanks

321Respawn
26-05-2015, 04:03
All of the above but what about having the option for the host to set up a series of tracks to run concurrently rather than having to choose a new map at the end of the session .
Right now with the way it is we just have the host repeating the same race over and over because they are to lazy to change track .
Much hype and excitement was made about the huge variety of tracks and weather conditions yet none of them are used .
If I as host could set up 5 or more tracks I would be able to set the weather conditions for those tracks before going live and hopefully save it for future use.
This would be far better than logging on to find 20 lobby's all featuring Spa and Donnington park .
And please guys what is the point of 90 minute qualify for 5 lap races ?I don't get it .

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 04:14
I like this ideal.

The only thing its missing is who is host of said lobby.

The way it should read is
lobby name, hosts name (gamertag), track & vehicle, lap/time, restrictions, status (friends), privacy

BioForce
26-05-2015, 04:26
I would split cars and tracks

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 04:32
I would split cars and tracks

Having them combined gives the list more room for other stuff.

Heck the lobby name and host name could do the same thing so it wont eat up more space.

BioForce
26-05-2015, 04:36
So decreasing lettersize would be an option. A split makes it easely sortable :)

eduardxw
26-05-2015, 07:48
Is it possible to change the number of current online games ?
I have almost everytime, 50
Thanks

Any ideas, guys ?
Could i get 70 / 100 / or more current online games ??
Thank you

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 08:00
Yes, fitting in all the information is tricky if much more is added - smaller letter size could make it hard for some users to read depending on their screen setup, so that could be an issue.

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 08:01
Any ideas, guys ?
Could i get 70 / 100 / or more current online games ??
Thank you

I don't know the answer, although I see "50 online games" quite often too, and not seen more than that. Maybe it's a limit in the game at the moment?

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 08:02
I like this ideal.

The only thing its missing is who is host of said lobby.

The way it should read is
lobby name, hosts name (gamertag), track & vehicle, lap/time, restrictions, status (friends), privacy

Good idea! I've seen occassional lobby names that are so long they overlap the next column, so need to keep them reasonable length I guess.

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 08:13
All of the above but what about having the option for the host to set up a series of tracks to run concurrently rather than having to choose a new map at the end of the session .
Right now with the way it is we just have the host repeating the same race over and over because they are to lazy to change track .
Much hype and excitement was made about the huge variety of tracks and weather conditions yet none of them are used .
If I as host could set up 5 or more tracks I would be able to set the weather conditions for those tracks before going live and hopefully save it for future use.
This would be far better than logging on to find 20 lobby's all featuring Spa and Donnington park .
And please guys what is the point of 90 minute qualify for 5 lap races ?I don't get it .

Sounds really excellent! Would really add a lot in the multiplayer experience.

Not as sophisticated, but another idea to combat the same tracks most of the time is something I suggested in another thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21985-Project-Cars-Ultimate-Suggestion-Thread/page25) we have e.g. 4 recommended tracks at the top of the lobby list that change each week - to suggest to hosts what tracks to run, and so people could practice them beforehand and get their braking points right for better racing! iRacing does this in a much more formal way, but here it would only be suggestions to hosts, not forced in any way. So those who like running GT3 at Spa every day will still always be able to get their fix! ;)

Max Kelly
26-05-2015, 08:14
good suggestion

Pink_650S
26-05-2015, 08:41
+ 1 Bajillion!
Very good idea and it still looks very clean, not at all complicated.

What l would also like to see is an option to write a title for your lobby. For example "Mixed Classes" or "GT3 only", so you'll know from the beginning what the lobby is about :)

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 08:47
+ 1 Bajillion!
Very good idea and it still looks very clean, not at all complicated.

What l would also like to see is an option to write a title for your lobby. For example "Mixed Classes" or "GT3 only", so you'll know from the beginning what the lobby is about :)

Thanks very much. Yes - tempting to put every detail in there but still needs to be easy to read and understand.

Regarding classes, at the moment (as far as I know) the choice for online games are limited to a single class or to a single specific car. If/when multi-classes are allowed then maybe that could be shown like I have in the Zolder example below?

Pink_650S
26-05-2015, 09:11
Maybe you could replacee the lobby title with the host? I think the name of the host is not really necessary, is it?

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 09:19
Maybe you could repkace the lobby title with the host? I think the name of the host is not really necessary, is it?

That's a very good point. At the moment a few hosts are using the title to say what type of car (since that isn't shown currently) but that would not be needed if car type is shown. Still, title may be handy for informal club events or other uses. Hoiw about if the host name is shown above the lobby title? - just as the track and class are shown as 2 lines of text in the existing lobby list.

Pink_650S
26-05-2015, 09:33
Yea, but the title should be bigger.
I didnt quite understand your last post, l still think the host name is not really useful :p

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 10:15
I didnt quite understand your last post, l still think the host name is not really useful :p

Sorry! I total misread your post (still early in morning for me lol! :D) So ignore my last post above! In the current lobby list it says "HOST" at the top but actually that column shows the title that the host types in - a bit confusing. At the moment the host name (Steam ID) is never shown. The title is most important I agree with you. If people also want host name (Steam ID) shown then host name could go below the title - smaller text if it helps.

Pink_650S
26-05-2015, 11:32
I would sign that ;)
For the PS4 too, though.

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 12:14
I would sign that ;)
For the PS4 too, though.

Yes! I should have said Steam ID or Gamertag! ;)

DragonSyr
26-05-2015, 12:19
Something SMS may like to consider (maybe they are already) is adding more information to the online list of lobbies. There are a few posts asking for this, so I've taken what I've read on this forum, plus a couple of my own ideas.

Length of race in laps or time (if/when time-limited races are available) instead of short/long
Restrictions shown by icons: Force Interior view | Force manual gears | Force realistic driving aids
Status shows Lobby/Practice/Qualifying/Warmup/Racing instead of just Lobby/Racing

So not every detail of each race still but hopefully covers the most important things. Some things still missing are time of day, weather, damage level, flags and penalties.

What do you think? Would this allow you to find the online games you want to play more easily? Or over-complicated? For me personally, I would like to find games that are racing certain cars (e.g. Clio Cup, Formula Rookie etc.) If you're a GT3-only player then that might not interest you, but you may like to see what assists are available, and also what games your friends are playing in. Anything to add/remove or change? (Icons are just examples - SMS artists would no doubt do a much better job!)

Be good to know what other players reckon, and SMS too if they find this of interest.

+1000000000 for this
you forget to add the pings ..... prefer with numbers % and not bars......

Luke Townsend
26-05-2015, 12:27
+1000000000 for this
you forget to add the pings ..... prefer with numbers % and not bars......

Really glad you like these ideas!

Ping would be useful for many players - It would be the average ping of the players in the lobby, perhaps?

DragonSyr
26-05-2015, 13:10
Really glad you like these ideas!

Ping would be useful for many players - It would be the average ping of the players in the lobby, perhaps?

if you ask me personally, i would like to see before join the pings of the host and then when in the party the average for all players.......

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 00:35
plus also the Hosts name.. a recognized name can sometimes mean slightly better rooms (if that leader has a certain Sgt Major attitude with idiots)

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 00:36
Sorry! I total misread your post (still early in morning for me lol! :D) So ignore my last post above! In the current lobby list it says "HOST" at the top but actually that column shows the title that the host types in - a bit confusing. At the moment the host name (Steam ID) is never shown. The title is most important I agree with you. If people also want host name (Steam ID) shown then host name could go below the title - smaller text if it helps.

i want hosts name, but why steam id? just this games id will be fine

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 00:43

hehe, not right now, but in a few weeks when u recognize names , then u get to know good hosts.. back on gt5, whenever i saw a certain few rooms i'd join them, knowing they had good guys in and the hosts took no nonsense from drivers..
one host always accepted mistakes and apologies, but kicked any attitude and his room was good fun all night 99/100 times :)

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 01:31

Mate, great suggestion that prob most of us have thought about at some point..

Without copying/stealing ideas from other games ;) PCars lobbies can be improved.. but some questions/thoughts/more ideas surrounding your ideas..

Car type - it currently shows what the current race is, which is fine, but some sort of indication if it changes often would be good.. or on the other hand, and prob wiser is a 'Car Change Yes/No' option if its gt3 all day or whatever.. they could do that by an icon maybe too.. a padlock after the track/car type indicating locked or not.. possibly 2 icons :) a track icon with lock, car icon with lock should fit into the bar nicely. you know what i mean ? a small car and track icon each with a padlock next to them at the right end of the description box.. sound good???
Plus the Loc & Car tab could also have a 'Random' or 'Various' option for the lobby table i.d.

Length - ye, defo needs more detail.. as long/short just doesnt cut the mustard :) It should also show No.laps and any Practice/Qualify
I know u listed this in another section, but length is the same.. its what u getting yourself into :) maybe just 2 columns after Length with initials in 'P' & 'Q' and Y or N underneath.. or time i suppose

Restrictions/Assists - no real comment on that as its nothing i look for just yet.. but in gt5 i did stick to assist off rooms normally and it would be good to know before hand, although all that info is on the 1st lobby page as u enter room.. so maybe for the new layout of yours.. just a simple message would be ace, such as 'Restrictions - on/off/some' & 'Assists - on/off/some' and u can find out more in lobby

Friends - ye, would be good.. ive not added anyone yet, but once i start adding good people, then i;d like to see if they are in the lobbies

hosts name - PCars id only, no need for steam id, im here playing this game..dont have many others, im not interested in grouping like that, only for racing here :) if ppl want to be more social they can invite each other to their steam list of buddies..
I prefer to add good people, join some sort of guild and go from there.. i dont want 100's of steam id's that may be diff to the gamers name in this game..

To make room for this, they could remove the 'Private' tab, and just mark that on the left before the room name.. or make private rooms a diff color text removing the need for an additional tab altogether..

So my layout.. excuse the amateurishness :) and dont laugh at the bird !! it was the nearest thing to a track map i could find with the software i had :)

Also, after each race.. i'd love to see Winner / Fastest Lap / Fastest Sectors listed on the load screen or something.. or when u can save replay.. that table only shows the leaderboard & total times.. it should be like the 'Monitor' timings page where you can see total time, fastest lap, fastest sector times.. and ofc the winners should be highlighted for all to see :)
It can give people a good feeling even if they didnt win.. i heard the engineer say i got fastest lap of the race a few times now.. but does that mean my own times or the whole groups? That made me think these details should be listed after an online race. Its recorded anyway for personal times, so why not put it on the leaderboard after each race !

Luke Townsend
01-06-2015, 05:57
Awesome ideas, Mancunain! :) Love them! Good idea to mark private lobbies like that - the current layout takes up much too much space indicating private lobbies. Only thing I would add to your layout would be to show the current state - practice, qualy, racing. To me (maybe others), types of assist are important so that's why in my suggestion I showed them here but all/none/some would be a great start if SMS prefer to do it that way.

(Totally agree about the info after the races - I've seen that raised a few times elsewhere and since it also affects single player racing I didn't mention it here just to keep this thread more focussed, but definitely be terrific to have.)

TBH any more detail SMS can show on the lobby list will be extremely helpful and a great improvement. Thanks again for taking the time to think this through and draw it out. Fingers crossed SMS work on the lobby lists! :)

DragonSyr
01-06-2015, 07:50
also in the lobbie would be good to see the laps to go for race finish like 2/10 (progress of the session)

Luke Townsend
01-06-2015, 08:08
also in the lobbie would be good to see the laps to go for race finish like 2/10 (progress of the session)

That sounds good to me! :)

Pink_650S
01-06-2015, 08:33
hehe, not right now, but in a few weeks when u recognize names , then u get to know good hosts.. back on gt5, whenever i saw a certain few rooms i'd join them, knowing they had good guys in and the hosts took no nonsense from drivers..
one host always accepted mistakes and apologies, but kicked any attitude and his room was good fun all night 99/100 times :)

l know a good solution for this: Add these people :D

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 08:56
Awesome ideas, Mancunain! :) Love them! Good idea to mark private lobbies like that - the current layout takes up much too much space indicating private lobbies. Only thing I would add to your layout would be to show the current state - practice, qualy, racing. To me (maybe others), types of assist are important so that's why in my suggestion I showed them here but all/none/some would be a great start if SMS prefer to do it that way.

(Totally agree about the info after the races - I've seen that raised a few times elsewhere and since it also affects single player racing I didn't mention it here just to keep this thread more focussed, but definitely be terrific to have.)

TBH any more detail SMS can show on the lobby list will be extremely helpful and a great improvement. Thanks again for taking the time to think this through and draw it out. Fingers crossed SMS work on the lobby lists! :)

Yes,very true.. to show the current stage of the room would be good.. maybe highlight the Practice/Qualify or Race box somehow.. either another small icon or a simple change in text color.. OR flashing time in the correct P/Q/R box (a slow fading flash so the whole list is not annoying )

The Assists/restricts can be done with symbols if there is only a handful each.. smaller icons and u can prob fit 6 or 8 icons in a small box in the columns...

And Luke, your OP is very good and descriptive, its exactly the type of page they will be looking at ;)

Luke Townsend
01-06-2015, 09:16
I really like that with highlighting the current stage! Some kind of progress bar maybe made up with different parts (practice, qualy, warmup, race) and a way to show how far the session has reached. Yes absolutely, assists and restricts could use smaller icons to save space. Cheers mate - just felt like drawing an example in case it gave SMS ideas. Yours is equally helpful too! I don't think the information we are asking for would be a huge task for SMS to add, and it would make multiplayer better and less hassle finding a suitable lobby.

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 10:30
I really like that with highlighting the current stage! Some kind of progress bar maybe made up with different parts (practice, qualy, warmup, race) and a way to show how far the session has reached. Yes absolutely, assists and restricts could use smaller icons to save space. Cheers mate - just felt like drawing an example in case it gave SMS ideas. Yours is equally helpful too! I don't think the information we are asking for would be a huge task for SMS to add, and it would make multiplayer better and less hassle finding a suitable lobby.

i might make a better lobby menu at some point, with more detail and not a rush job like mine was before... id had no sleep and it was daylight again o_O i believe i missed out the current occupants/friend column :)
it will also help to keep bumping this thread if i do an up-to-date one with all that we have suggested so far, including the active stage & ping...
ping can take the 'private room' column at the far right, the key symbol can stay under Hosts name.. with the darkened text like i did, its clear to all that those rooms are invite only.. as long as the hosts name remains clear/highlighted, then the guys joining locked rooms should have no issue navigating there.. The host column should also be able to list in order a-z / z-a so its easy to find a host if u know the name.
the highlighting stage could even be as simple as a color line under the time that is currently active.. that way it could be a progress bar too ;) if the progress bars are easy to code in and work correctly that is, as i feel the online servers need as little resource hogs as possible..
is ping really necessary? in fact, 4yrs on a mmo with shocking lag (game itself not my pc :) and never once have i felt the need to ping test anything or anyone. If a room was ever too bad i'd just exit & go elsewhere.
Could also lead to elitism and kicking ppl out of rooms due to numbers.. which may not be accurate in real time anyway.. thats unfair on those ppl, it couldve been just a blip :)

but either way, lobby screen needs a remap :)

We'll gather a few more bits of info and update most of the thread into a single easy to read post :)
Then its all in one spot for the devs to chew on properly ;)

Luke Townsend
01-06-2015, 11:34
All sounds excellent to me! :) If you do get the time to redo the menu with all the things in this thread that would be terrific - a picture is worth 1000 words and gives a more concrete idea to discuss and maybe also for SMS to work from. Progress bar sounds really good - don't think it needs to be high-fidelity in terms of seconds left or whatever so hopefully no big deal resource-wise on the servers. Ping, well I don't have an issue with it either and get what you're saying. For some players though (maybe depending on their location/internet connection) as mentioned earlier in this thread, it can be a main criteria for selecting a race. The ping info is in the lobby page itself already so if it could possibly be summarised without taking much space on the lobby listing page then that could help those people - even a red/yellow/green traffic light could maybe help if that reduces save space (just totally off my head, traffic light may be a rubbish idea! ;)).

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 16:08
Since 1.4, I've just noticed the multiplayer lobby list (on PC) shows a green triangle next to each lobby - guessing that is ping quality? I didn't see this mentioned explicitly in the 1.4 patch notes so it is a very nice surprise and useful enhancement to the lobby list. Thank you SMS! :)

icebear
12-06-2015, 16:17
it would be such an improvment for my online experience !

i pray the god of race to make this possible soon !

FalkeGT
15-06-2015, 14:46
Hey Luke,

great visualisation of your ideas. I'd just like to add attention on this as I want to see this in the game, it's hard to find a race that suits you atm.

cheers falkeGT

Luke Townsend
15-06-2015, 15:20
Many thanks, FalkeGT! :) Definitely hope SMS can allocate resources to the lobby list and make it show more info like we are suggesting in this thread. It would help players looking for races, as you say. SMS added a colour-coded ping indicator to the lobby list in Patch 1.4 - that's great, and hopefully a sign they will do more to it in the coming weeks and months. Just hoping that improving the lobby list is something that SMS head Ian Bell might refer to "low hanging fruit" - i.e. it may not take too effort to do and would give great benefits to players.

nono782
27-07-2015, 18:08
1st I'd like to up this great thread :)

2nd, the main info I want to know before joining is : how long till the race starts ?
A simple countdown would be very useful.

Luke Townsend
27-07-2015, 21:02
1st I'd like to up this great thread :)

2nd, the main info I want to know before joining is : how long till the race starts ?
A simple countdown would be very useful.

Agreed! A countdown would be a great thing to have in the lobby list. Really hoping the lobby list screen gets shown some care and attention.