PDA

View Full Version : BOOST a the starting line!?

Bounkass
25-05-2015, 15:41
I noticed we get a BOOST if we push down the throttle at the right time after the light goes green. WHY? Isn't this supposed to be simulator? It's not Need for Speed of Grand Theft Auto! I wish I got a boost in my real car when I press the throttle at the right time after the light turns green...

Sankyo
25-05-2015, 15:45
When reporting something like this, please add a video to show what you're experiencing. I never have experienced any 'boost', only AI who are slow to get off the starting line...

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 15:48
I wish I got a boost in my real car when I press the throttle at the right time
Is your real car a race car though.... ;)

Aldo Zampatti
25-05-2015, 15:54
Yes please, I don't understand what is the behavior you're getting. Actually, this weekend I've made about 200 race starts in different track/cars since I was lame at those and I needed some practice.

Never found anything like you describe (either that or I'm not understanding completely what you're saying) :)

TrevorAustin
25-05-2015, 15:59
Yes please, I don't understand what is the behavior you're getting. Actually, this weekend I've made about 200 race starts in different track/cars since I was lame at those and I needed some practice.

Never found anything like you describe (either that or I'm not understanding completely what you're saying) :)

I've been doimg the same, I'm awful at starts, and like to start at theback. However i try and keep out of the ai in race for the first halflap as i can 90% guarantee being rammed or them launching across chicanes into me:)

Franco Ferrari
25-05-2015, 16:04
I have found... many times actually... that in online races, other players are able to jump start with ease, always leaving me in the dust.
And as you described, it looks like they have a boost or something.

I remember though that if you modulate the clutch pedal at the start (even if auto-clutch is ON), you're able to perform better from a stand still.
Better than the auto-clutch though.

I'll give it a try tonight.

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 16:05
It possible to Start a little earlier without penalty ;)

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 16:07
Further put 1.Gear in and use clutch and Gas ;)

Aldo Zampatti
25-05-2015, 16:20

That is true and was one of my takeaways of the weekend :) You can do a few milliseconds before but it's risky, if you over-trust yourself, you'll end-up with a penalty.

Other thing that worked perfectly to me, It was to release 60% of clutch and keep brakes on hard, once the green light appears, release everything (but throttle, obviously) and modulate the gas input for minimum wheelspin

Bounkass
25-05-2015, 16:24
When reporting something like this, please add a video to show what you're experiencing. I never have experienced any 'boost', only AI who are slow to get off the starting line...

Well, the thing is, I don't know when exactly to press the throttle. I got it by chance in my last race but forgot to save the recording. Hopefully Franco Ferrari can verify.

Is your real car a race car though.... ;)

It is not, however, if it was, it shouldn't have a boost. That would be against the rules cheating.

I have found... many times actually... that in online races, other players are able to jump start with ease, always leaving me in the dust.
And as you described, it looks like they have a boost or something.

I remember though that if you modulate the clutch pedal at the start (even if auto-clutch is ON), you're able to perform better from a stand still.
Better than the auto-clutch though.

I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks.

Further put 1.Gear in and use clutch and Gas ;)

Yes, but that wouldn't be very fair now would it?

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 17:06
Well, the thing is, I don't know when exactly to press the throttle. I got it by chance in my last race but forgot to save the recording. Hopefully Franco Ferrari can verify.

It is not, however, if it was, it shouldn't have a boost. That would be against the rules cheating.

Thanks.

Yes, but that wouldn't be very fair now would it?

Dont know the the exact rules, maybe if you dont cross the withe line at your Start Position it's no penalty, but i m not sure! To use clutch and first Gear is not unfair i think, it's normal!
There are a lot of points that may be unfair, ao at some locations there are penalties, on others not, so people often cut curves or schicanes or use the apron behind the white links with all four tires for better acceleration, even the ki does it!
I m always a fan of fair gentlemen driving

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 17:24
I think its interesting to compare how everyone starts and which starting techniques produce the best starts. I'm not talking about cheating or jump starting I'm talking about fast clean starts. In GT6 I would engage 1st gear put the handbrake on and floor the throttle. When the lights turn green I just released the handbrake and off we go. I understand than some cars in PCARs don't have a handbrake so this technique isn't possible. I've tried using this technique but holding on the footbrake and the car rolls forwards. Any ideas guys?

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 17:34
Use footbrake or / and clutch! I mostly start clean with that! My Problem is, that the Gear Sometimes jump back to N, when i kick the Motor to early, to have the optimal Nm

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 17:37
Use footbrake or / and clutch! I mostly start clean with that! My Problem is, that the Gear Sometimes jump back to N, when i kick the Motor to early, to have the optimal Nm

So you press all three pedals to the floor then release the brake and clutch? What about people with only two pedals?

ScorpionR3D
25-05-2015, 17:47
With a 2 pedalsetup. Press both accelerator and brake. Put in first gear. You see the rpms drop, but after a second orso it will start to rise again. At the right moment release the brakes and you are off with a flying start. Now I'm racing with 3 pedals. I get the same acceleration off the start with using clutch and gas only (i squeeze the brake at the start only when it is up/downhill, to prevent it from roling forward or backwards)

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 17:48
I personaly only use the clutch without footbrake!
But I played with Controller
L1 clutch,
r1handbrake (never use that)
X-button shift up
Square-button shift down

Perhaps put the clutch to a Button on the wheel, but keep driving with autoclutch in the race

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 17:50
And Perhaps it helps to count with the lights a long time, to get a better feeling and timing

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 18:08
And Perhaps it helps to count with the lights a long time, to get a better feeling and timing

Is the timing from the last red light to the green the same or random as in real life. I remember in GT6 if you counted with the lights and carried on counting to 8 and go at that point you would always get a great start.

Bounkass
25-05-2015, 18:19
Is the timing from the last red light to the green the same or random as in real life. I remember in GT6 if you counted with the lights and carried on counting to 8 and go at that point you would always get a great start.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be random. Not in real life either. This would give everybody a fair chance at a good start. Especially when driving the same kind of car.

JayChristmas
25-05-2015, 18:22
I think in the the game it is the same time, but i m not sure for 100%

tmitch45
25-05-2015, 21:03
It should be about the drivers reaction time to the lights turning green in my opinion.

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 21:16
As far as I know it is random but only by a few milliseconds.... but don't quote me on that.

Aldo Zampatti
25-05-2015, 21:46
As far as I know it is random but only by a few milliseconds.... but don't quote me on that.

Haven't measured myself. But with good training is almost the same each time

MiZtErNiCe
25-05-2015, 23:13
i have been concentrating on the formula a cars and love exiting the pitlane doing practice starts just like in real life, done hundreds of them after i remapped the DS4 so R3 is the clutch. push down on R3 build the revs and drop the clutch, each time i changed the amount of throttle application until i had my perfect starts. i was so anal about it i used the telemetry function then recorded the starts and studied what was giving me the best launch lol

dopeyj86
26-05-2015, 07:33
The key is to rev to a good rpm around 6-9 grand on most cars and shift into gear just before the light goes green. I use auto clutch and it works good most of the time. Be careful though because if you shift too early you will get caught and you will receive a drive through penalty which means your race is over because once you serve your penalty when you exit the pits you are slammed with an insanely long "cut the track penalty".

JimbobMarley65
26-05-2015, 11:38
Hi,this is actually my first interaction on the site so please forgive me if I have done something wrong. This boost you mentioned, could it not be just a case of being in the right rev range for a fast start or "hole shot". Think of cars such as the Nissan gtr which has launch control to keep the revs at the optimum range before releasing the brakes. Try holding the revs to around 6000/7000 rpm which should leave a bit of power to put down once the lights go green. This is what I do and rarely get left behind on the grid, or maybe I am just lucky enough to hit the lights right.

dwalldorf
26-05-2015, 11:46
I also use autoclutch (until I finally get myself to purchase T3PA :) ) and put in 1. gear, hold the brake and rev up. As the lights go green, let go of the brake and have a nice flight. I tried to rev up and slam in the first gear at start but the autoclutch is as good as it gets when grandma tries to back out of her parking space at 6000rpm..

Franco Ferrari
26-05-2015, 12:21
once you serve your penalty when you exit the pits you are slammed with an insanely long "cut the track penalty".

Apparently this bug happens only on some tracks AFAIK.
It would be nice if you could post on which track you found it (Spa is one of them).

Goruk
26-05-2015, 13:37
Apparently this bug happens only on some tracks AFAIK.
It would be nice if you could post on which track you found it (Spa is one of them).

Road America also, I believe...

Slicker_VR
26-05-2015, 17:37
I think its interesting to compare how everyone starts and which starting techniques produce the best starts. I'm not talking about cheating or jump starting I'm talking about fast clean starts. In GT6 I would engage 1st gear put the handbrake on and floor the throttle. When the lights turn green I just released the handbrake and off we go. I understand than some cars in PCARs don't have a handbrake so this technique isn't possible. I've tried using this technique but holding on the footbrake and the car rolls forwards. Any ideas guys?

i still use the handbrake method, if a particular car doesn't have a handbrake (like a go-kart for instance) i just hold the footbrake gently until the third red light - the 'handbrake' still operates as a clutch

Bouyo
26-05-2015, 18:11
I have to admit that I gain approx. 3 positions off the lights 90% of the time, and against 100 AI. It's too easy to time the lights and drop the clutch in advance with no penalty. At the moment I'm just setting myself back in the grid to compensate but the first corner is always interesting ...

kaerdanne
26-05-2015, 18:13
Isnt there a tip which says that u need to start withing 0,2 seconds after green or something

dhevans79
27-05-2015, 07:25
Isnt there a tip which says that u need to start withing 0,2 seconds after green or something

I was thinking exactly that. Not sure what it's for though, and I would doubt very much that SMS would include a false boost in the game...

BGB83
27-05-2015, 09:34
Every car has a right rpm to get a great launch. But this doesn't happen in any car so in that respect it's not realistic on Project Cars. I know I've had some modified and very fast motors in the past. Some quicker than what's on this game.

I've tried at different rpm ranges, holding at say 5k, 6k, 4k, then light goes green and it's all the same. A slow start. Even putting it in 1st when using auto at the line doesn't make a difference.

MrStef85
27-05-2015, 10:05

Yes i noticed this also.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 10:17
I can ruin the grid if I get the timing right. Its a matter of weight transfer, car setup, skill, and timing. Having your front rebound set just right helps and of course the drive wheel camber. There's no boost, just that feeling you're going backwards! imo

Franco Ferrari
27-05-2015, 10:47
I've noticed that merely choosing soft slicks tires (weather and car permitting) will give you a nice chance of boosting at the start.
...Unless all the others have soft slicks too.

Bouyo
27-05-2015, 12:47
I can ruin the grid if I get the timing right. Its a matter of weight transfer, car setup, skill, and timing. Having your front rebound set just right helps and of course the drive wheel camber. There's no boost, just that feeling you're going backwards! imo

It's more a matter of just starting BEFORE you see the green light. You just count mentally based on previous lights, then trust in the fact that as you dump the clutch the intertia in the system will take a split second to transfer engine power into forward movement. Then you'll be MOVING exactly when the light goes green, even a little before, despite the fact that you're telling the car to move before you see the green.

When you get good at that then the only issue is weaving around other cars if you're not on pole!

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 14:21
This aint Mario kart

Marcd23
27-05-2015, 15:50
There is a note at the bottom of the loading screen that says "try pressing the accelerator 0.2 seconds before the green" or something like that. So there must be some form of boost.

Umer Ahmad
27-05-2015, 16:02
There is no "magic boost" in the game.

Probably what that message is trying to do is get you to spool up the turbos or get into the proper RPM "power band" so when you drop the clutch you get optimal grip for the launch.

I think modern "launch control" systems like in Ferraris and Porsche do the same thing but just by pressing a button.

Roger Prynne
27-05-2015, 16:14
Also if racing against the AI then it's the AI that is a few milliseconds slower I think, plus the fact if you start at the back of the grid then you are behind the slowest cars.

Ofuscor
27-05-2015, 16:57
There is a note at the bottom of the loading screen that says "try pressing the accelerator 0.2 seconds before the green" or something like that. So there must be some form of boost.

Its for a PSN thropie /xbox achievement, not a boost.

Is there any problem maybe with the sync of the lights on multiplayer? Maybe the light go green for the host a bit earlier? Im not good at the starts but I noticed incredible differences not just with me but with the rest of the players.

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 17:12

Um..that's so you can get the reaction time achievement. I got it. Ready to pounce I think.

dwalldorf
27-05-2015, 18:12

I think this will rather be a trophy or just the perfect timing for the start. This is a sim and I hardly doubt it will give you some kind of boost that wouldn't be there in reality.

Edit: I see I'm not the first one to reply..