PDA

View Full Version : Gas Question

gbm
25-05-2015, 16:16
Ok, so I'm slowly going to start turning gas usage ON in the next few days, but I have some questions.

- Does the car start off the race with the correct amount of gas already?

Also,

- If I'm selecting my own gas amount, what am I shooting for? Enough for a lap, or enough for an entire race? Isn't the point of pit stops to refuel?

I definitely need some schooling on this. :culpability:

Aldo Zampatti
25-05-2015, 16:30
Ok, so I'm slowly going to start turning gas usage ON in the next few days, but I have some questions.

- Does the car start off the race with the correct amount of gas already?

Also,

- If I'm selecting my own gas amount, what am I shooting for? Enough for a lap, or enough for an entire race? Isn't the point of pit stops to refuel?

I definitely need some schooling on this. :culpability:

It does NOT automatically start with enough fuel. You should do practice runs and estimate your Fuel Per lap usage to "guess" the correct amount for races.
Several Carss in the Motec or whatever display they have, show the LAST LAP fuel consumption and AVG. per lap

gbm
25-05-2015, 16:36
It does NOT automatically start with enough fuel. You should do practice runs and estimate your Fuel Per lap usage to "guess" the correct amount for races.
Several Carss in the Motec or whatever display they have, show the LAST LAP fuel consumption and AVG. per lap

Ok cool.

But what am I shooting for? ...enough for a lap(s), or the entire race? etc?

Siberian Tiger
25-05-2015, 16:41
Depends on what you are trying to do :)

Short Tip:

For Races which are less than 1/2 Hour you are save with the Wear of many Tires.
This means, you probably will go to Fill your Car enough for the whole Race...

For longes Races you have to watch how long youre Tires will hold, and then caculate the Fuel for youre 1 Stint.
Then, add a Pitstrategy on which you can decide to fill up a given amount of Fuel...

gbm
25-05-2015, 16:44
Depends on what you are trying to do :)

Short Tip:

For Races which are less than 1/2 Hour you are save with the Wear of many Tires.
This means, you probably will go to Fill your Car enough for the whole Race...

For longes Races you have to watch how long youre Tires will hold, and then caculate the Fuel for youre 1 Stint.
Then, add a Pitstrategy on which you can decide to fill up a given amount of Fuel...

Oh my, maybe I'm not ready to turn fuel "on" yet. lol

miagi
25-05-2015, 17:08
Always try to avoid pitting. First reason, it costs more time to pit and refuel than to drive with a full tank. Most tires atm have really low wear rates, I could race 5h on Nordschleife with one set of tires on the Z4 GT3, according to wear numbers in the profiler.
Also unfortunately with some bugs (on some tracks) about the pit stop and the current pit stop menu, I'd rather try to avoid pitting anyway.

gbm
25-05-2015, 18:10
Always try to avoid pitting. First reason, it costs more time to pit and refuel than to drive with a full tank. Most tires atm have really low wear rates, I could race 5h on Nordschleife with one set of tires on the Z4 GT3, according to wear numbers in the profiler.
Also unfortunately with some bugs (on some tracks) about the pit stop and the current pit stop menu, I'd rather try to avoid pitting anyway.

Ah interesting, ok thanks for the headsup.

btw, what would I be looking for to assess "wear"?

Rob Prange
25-05-2015, 18:10
Moved to Car Setup Talk forum.

Siberian Tiger
25-05-2015, 18:12

btw, what would I be looking for to assess "wear"?$

You will feel Tire Wear ;) No possibility atm to see a Number...

gbm
25-05-2015, 18:21
$

You will feel Tire Wear ;) No possibility atm to see a Number...

Ah ok. I recall now reading about a missing indicator for that.

Does the tires cooling off also suggest that they are wearing?

Siberian Tiger
25-05-2015, 18:23
Nope... The other Way around ;)

You will have less Rubber on your Tire (Thiner Rubber Layer)

So it will overheat more quickly...

gbm
25-05-2015, 19:45
Nope... The other Way around ;)

You will have less Rubber on your Tire (Thiner Rubber Layer)

So it will overheat more quickly...

aaaaah......
ok thanks.

miagi
26-05-2015, 00:06

btw, what would I be looking for to assess "wear"?

You can record wear percentages in Tome Shanes Profiler while practicing and figure out how long a set of tires will last based on that.

But you can also notice it would driving. You're driving normally, not trying to go slower and the track temps stay stable, but you start losing time like 1-2 seconds and at the same time your tire temps are going down. You know, time to change the rubber or if only few laps left, deal with it ^^

Tires cool down because the isolating rubber layer gets thinner. Also while driving with heated up tires the chemical process in the tire goes on, in the factory it's call vulcanisation and done at specific temperatures. But the same process happens at lower temps, just slower. Driving for an hour with a soft compound at around 100C will make it become a harder compound at the end of the stint. Also a reason why they cool down, in real life as in pCARS.

Pervasive
26-05-2015, 01:01
To the OP-
I just turned the fuel on myself. Racing in career- (GT4) you get two 30 min practice sessions, 2 quali sessions, 2 races (one is a sprint no pits needed and one is longer and has a mandatory pit.

I will start out with a guess. Short tracks are like 1.5 liters per lap and longer tracks like imola are around 3 liters. I put a small amount 20l and run the track getting use to it seeing what I would like to change on the car and notice the fuel consumption so even if you don't use motec display starting with set amount of 20 and then runing laps Notice amount when you cross the line. Round up. And then use it for calculations for race length.

In GT4 refueling isn't allowed in sprint so will go with my average /lap times number of laps + a lap of fuel. For the longer races I usually pit extremely late in the race. So I do the same thing. Give myself enough to finish race. If refueling is allowed it takes less time in pit to receive smaller amount of fuel. The car also weighs less and typically can put in my fastest laps when I'm 10liters versus 60liters.

You do not want to run out of fuel though. If you do have fuel consumption off I would still choose to put less fuel in the car in edit tuning set up. I've noticed the difference. So I assume you'll notice a difference to.

hkraft300
27-05-2015, 10:29
Don't be a girly man

Turn on fuel and tire usage.

burn some virtual hydrocarbons!

TrevorAustin
27-05-2015, 10:47
I've got another more important question, why do Americans call petrol gas, when it's very clearly a liquid? Never understood that.

Tillj
27-05-2015, 12:07
If your interrested I found that GT3 cars seem to use around 4 litres per lap around spa, same goes for the P30 RWD LMP1

oneBIGkicker
27-05-2015, 21:08
I've got another more important question, why do Americans call petrol gas, when it's very clearly a liquid? Never understood that.

Gas - short gasoline
not sure I have ever used petrol in a sentence. Well until now :)

TrevorAustin
27-05-2015, 21:39
Gas - short gasoline
not sure I have ever used petrol in a sentence. Well until now :)

Ah guess that explains it, I've never called petrol gasoline so never made the association.