PDA

View Full Version : Drafting query

Ochilbaz
25-05-2015, 19:00
Hello there people. I have a query regarding drafting. I was racing last night with some online friends in a private lobby, the racing was good and close and clean, my query is this......... When my friends were drafting me on a long straight they were managing to shorten the distance between us quite quickly and manage to pull out and pass, but when I was close behind them I couldn't close the gap at all never mind manage to pull out and pass. We were all in identical cars with no tuning done at all. The only difference is I use a thrustmaster tx wheel with auto clutch enabled whereas they both use the controller, we all use manual shifting with no driving aids at all. Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Ochilbaz

GRD 4 3L
25-05-2015, 19:16
From your description alone it sounds as though your online friends are able to exit corners at higher speed. For them, drafting would make the pass even easier. If your exit speed is compromised, drafting would only be marginally effective.

PeoplesChampion
25-05-2015, 23:45
Hello there people. I have a query regarding drafting. I was racing last night with some online friends in a private lobby, the racing was good and close and clean, my query is this......... When my friends were drafting me on a long straight they were managing to shorten the distance between us quite quickly and manage to pull out and pass, but when I was close behind them I couldn't close the gap at all never mind manage to pull out and pass. We were all in identical cars with no tuning done at all. The only difference is I use a thrustmaster tx wheel with auto clutch enabled whereas they both use the controller, we all use manual shifting with no driving aids at all. Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Ochilbaz

There are a few reasons this could happen..

Were you using the proper gear to fully exploit the significant loss of resistance? What are your revs and what gear are you in? ( Could you also tell me the car you were using? )

Your friends could have achieved a higher exit speed upon leaving the corners and this GREATLY effects your speed. Think about it.. If you are exiting the corner at 95mph and you are chasing a car that is exiting the corner at 105, you will have a lot to overcome, even with the benefits of drafting. This is especially true in your situation because you were all using the same car.

I don't know what car you were driving, but if it has a KERS or DRS, is it possible they were using this and you were not?