PDA

View Full Version : clutch difficulties

Manmadesmiith
25-05-2015, 20:07
Hi all, I am using manual gears with clutch. But I am finding it difficult to master it as such. My lap times are a lot slower as well than without clutch. I think it I has something to do with when I change gear I am straight on the gas and revs go sky high, but I am not to sure. I am used to playing Forza with clutch and was wondering if there is away around getting faster or getting used to it it. Thanks.

P.s I am using a controller.

Ixoye56
25-05-2015, 20:29
You have nothing to gain from using the clutch in this game with controller.

Manmadesmiith
25-05-2015, 20:32
So, using manual clutch is pointless?

s1yfa
26-05-2015, 00:38
Pretty much. Its not like Forza where you mash both buttons. Pcars simulates the clutch realistically in that you need to disengage, shift then engage.

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 00:55
There is plenty to be gained using full manual clutch on a game pad. Only if you map it to an analog input though. I have the clutch mapped to down on the right analog stick. This gives me full modulation over the clutch rather than it being a preset engagement time when its mapped to a digital button.

Using the clutch this way I can dip the clutch in certain situations, shift gears much quicker(non-sequential box), get better stars off the line ect.
it took a little getting used to having the clutch on the right analog stick, though after just a few days its second nature. I recommend trying the clutch on an analog input(sticks or triggers) and going out on a track and just play with the clutch. Don't try and go setting hot laps, just drive as if you were on the street in your own car, and feel difference in the extra control you can get by using the clutch like this.

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 01:09
There is plenty to be gained using full manual clutch on a game pad. Only if you map it to an analog input though. I have the clutch mapped to down on the right analog stick. This gives me full modulation over the clutch rather than it being a preset engagement time when its mapped to a digital button.

Using the clutch this way I can dip the clutch in certain situations, shift gears much quicker(non-sequential box), get better stars off the line ect.
it took a little getting used to having the clutch on the right analog stick, though after just a few days its second nature. I recommend trying the clutch on an analog input(sticks or triggers) and going out on a track and just play with the clutch. Don't try and go setting hot laps, just drive as if you were on the street in your own car, and feel difference in the extra control you can get by using the clutch like this.
And riding the clutch is the single worst habit to pick up in any vehicle, from a caterham to 65 ton lorry. If it works for you that's fine, but heel and toe is a far better way to go.

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 01:23
what do you mean by riding the clutch, I'm just using it like you would IRL. I have the clutch set like this so I can heel toe with a game pad.

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 01:42
what do you mean by riding the clutch, I'm just using it like you would IRL. I have the clutch set like this so I can heel toe with a game pad.
Define heel an toe.

turbohondaej1
26-05-2015, 01:50
And riding the clutch is the single worst habit to pick up in any vehicle, from a caterham to 65 ton lorry. If it works for you that's fine, but heel and toe is a far better way to go.

Depends on a magnitude of things heel toe is not the only way to drive and also puts abuse on your clutch so either way you will be replacing your clutch before a normal person. Some people will use half of there foot some people use different brake pedal setups others even have stuff for hand applications.

turbohondaej1
26-05-2015, 01:54
Also some high performance cars have aftermarket clutches that are almost impossible to not ride it. Other cars take off better slipping the clutch you can't dump every car every shift have you ever drove a loaded down semi I see you wrote about a 65 ton lorry?

JessicaWalter
26-05-2015, 01:55
i love using the clutch. im on ps4 with ds4.

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 01:58
[QUOTE=Sp4mD4gger;943424]Define heel an toe.[/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 02:02
Also some high performance cars have aftermarket clutches that are almost impossible to not ride it. Other cars take off better slipping the clutch you can't dump every car every shift have you ever drove a loaded down semi I see you wrote about a 65 ton lorry? ok, I'll answer you, though I was asking Deadzone, your answer suggests that you are using heel and toe with brake and clutch, wrong, it's brake and accelerator.
Google it.

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 02:28
ok, I'll answer you, though I was asking Deadzone, your answer suggests that you are using heel and toe with brake and clutch, wrong, it's brake and accelerator.
Google it.

I'm not sure what the point your trying to make is, I was just trying to explain how one can set up a game pad to better simulate real clutch performance.

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 02:32
I'm not sure what the point your trying to make is, I was just trying to explain how one can set up a game pad to better simulate real clutch performance.
When in doubt plead ignorance, eh?

Apoc112
26-05-2015, 02:51

You seem to be getting hostile about your own misunderstanding here... you can't properly simulate heel-toe without a clutch. Deadzone's just describing how he's done it with his setup (which sounds crazy complicated btw... kudos for getting used to that)

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 02:59

? .

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 03:16
Here is a screenshot of my controller configuration for those interested in experimenting with the clutch.
I tend to stick to the older cars that don't have Kers or Drs so I don't have them mapped. The main thing to note from this config is the clutch and down shift assignments. All others can be placed wherever is comfortable for you.

The main downside of this configuration is the loss off looking around with the right stick. For me though, having full modulation over the clutch is more important.

P.S. Make sure to turn Automatic Clutch to OFF.

Apoc112
26-05-2015, 03:40
aww man, you're allowed to not have the (literally useless) Handbrake assigned on PS4? We get an error about it being a necessary assignment on X1...

Deadzone
26-05-2015, 03:54
No I just use the mandatory button assignment work around.

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 04:29
aww man, you're allowed to not have the (literally useless) Handbrake assigned on PS4? We get an error about it being a necessary assignment on X1...

All of the road cars have a useable ebrake.

Ixoye56
26-05-2015, 06:46

Don't try to go back with "B", push the menu button go to options&help now you are in the main menu and you're new controller config. is saved. (It's a bug)

Apoc112
26-05-2015, 15:58
Thanks for the tip!

I know some cars have a working handbrake, but it's still useless as a function in a circuit racing game. if there were drift or rally events, i would understand. The fact that it's there doesn't bother me - only that it's mandatory, when there are several other functions I would rather have mapped.

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 22:07
You seem to be getting hostile about your own misunderstanding here... you can't properly simulate heel-toe without a clutch. Deadzone's just describing how he's done it with his setup (which sounds crazy complicated btw... kudos for getting used to that)
Heel and toe does not use the clutch.

Not hostile at all.

Also, see post 12 by yourself.

Heel-and-toe shifting[1] is a driving technique used mostly in performance driving,[2] although some drivers use it on the road in everyday conditions in the interest of effectiveness. It involves operating the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously with the right foot, while facilitating normal activation of the clutch[/U]with the left foot. It is used when braking and downshifting simultaneously (prior to entering a turn), and allows the driver to "blip" the throttle to raise the engine speed and smoothly engage the lower gear.

Absolutely no mention of using the clutch, except with the left foot as per every car in the world.

Deadzone
27-05-2015, 00:14
I think your missing the point Spam, to heel toe correctly requires full use of the clutch. Yes it's called heel and toe because you use one foot to modulate the acc and brake and the other to operate the clutch. I'm not arguing that fact.

But clutch modulation when heel and toeing is just as important. What I was trying to point out was you can have full modulation over the clutch when its assigned to an analog input. When the clutch is assigned to a digital input it just uses a set engagement time, so being able to dictate the the speed and throw of the clutch is essential for the greatest amount of control.