PDA

View Full Version : More HUD elements

DIXON76
25-05-2015, 20:29
Firstly i absolutely love your game but it as a few teething issues.

The one that really bugs me is that you have to go into the talemetry*to check your brake temps.

Would it be possable to have brake symbols put underneath the tire symbols on the speedo ??

Might seem a stupid question but its pretty important for league racing etc, i don't want to be clicking a page to see brake info.

AlexanderHC
25-05-2015, 20:38
Maybe oil/water temp too?

Rabid Machina
25-05-2015, 20:40
EGT's as well.

Reinart86
25-05-2015, 20:43
Why not race with the telemetry always on. :) oh and remember that you can assign a button for switching between the different pages of your cars motec display. If that car has a display that is, most race cars do.

tux1234
25-05-2015, 20:56
Its a good point but i dont think its all that bad the way it is, its not huge effort really.

Disposable_Hero
25-05-2015, 21:08
Do you guys know that brake temperature is also part of the motec dash for those cars that have one (GT3, Prototypes, Formula)? Just use the assigned button for "cycle motec" and leave the rest of the hud as you like. No?

DIXON76
25-05-2015, 22:10
Do you guys know that tire temperature is also part of the motec dash for those cars that have one (GT3, Prototypes, Formula)? Just use the assigned button for "cycle motec" and leave the rest of the hud as you like. No?Well when the tire's are cold there blue and green for when good, red for when there hot, i'm thinking the same should be applied for the brake temps on the hud. The Motec is only any good if you use the incar veiw.

MULTIVITZ
25-05-2015, 22:39
OMG, the developer said all the brakes are up to the job and seldom fade, its tyre heating you want to worry about not brake heating, you feel the brakes get better as they warm. It they get too hot its your fault for not being thorough enough when you shake it down. Anyway why isn't this in the suggestion thread, if you had any sense you'd be thinking about asking for adjustable tyre blankets! Please search before posting. Please excuse my attitude, I'm tune fatigued. :rolleyes:

Mrbrown33
25-05-2015, 22:41
Could we have a cup holder aswell please ��

Birdman
25-05-2015, 22:47
Could we have a beer holder aswell please ��

*fixed

DIXON76
25-05-2015, 23:14
OMG, the developer said all the brakes are up to the job and seldom fade, its tyre heating you want to worry about not brake heating, you feel the brakes get better as they warm. It they get too hot its your fault for not being thorough enough when you shake it down. Anyway why isn't this in the suggestion thread, if you had any sense you'd be thinking about asking for adjustable tyre blankets! Please search before posting. Please excuse my attitude, I'm tune fatigued. :rolleyes:

Multivits are you that guy that claimed to know how to to tune on Forza 4, truth is you was laugthing stock, motorheads pal. Give my head a pace mate with ya "OMG"'s,and i wont excuse the atitude infact i think its freaky. I asked a question and why are you in the xbox thread ?

miagi
25-05-2015, 23:51
Might seem a stupid question but its pretty important for league racing etc, i don't want to be clicking a page to see brake info.
I don't think it's needed for league racing, and we already did a few seasons in the WMD time. All you need is adjust your brake duct in practice, for example using Tom Shanes Profiler. Once the brake duct is adjusted for your driving and braking for that track, you don't to worry about it any more and also don't need to look at the temps.

TenthDan
25-05-2015, 23:57
Dixon and multivitz leave the insults out of the discussion please.

DIXON76
26-05-2015, 00:20
Dixon and multivitz leave the insults out of the discussion please.There's no insults from me just truths mate, this guy does'nt even own a xbox one, nevermind the fact he came out with this statement "if you had any sence you'd be thinking about adjustable tyre blankets"
i mean does his post make any sence what so ever ???

I come to forum to ask a question,thats all.

s1yfa
26-05-2015, 00:32
I'm with Bob on this one. I think if the existing tyre temp indicator was split by a third, to show brake temp that would be useful. It wouldn't take any more screen real estate and would at a glance give an indication of brakes are hot, ok or cold. Not precise but then neither is the tyre indicator but it helps.

I'm also quite interested to know if radiant brake heat affects tyre temps too (obviously on race cars like Formula A, that actually get decent heat in the discs). That could dramatically impact setups on certain tracks that either have a lot of heavy braking, or inversely very little braking.

TenthDan
26-05-2015, 00:47
There's no insults from me just truths mate, this guy does'nt even own a xbox one, nevermind the fact he came out with this statement "if you had any sence you'd be thinking about adjustable tyre blankets"
i mean does his post make any sence what so ever ???

I come to forum to ask a question,thats all.

I understand that, but you also said he was a 'laughing stock' which is only going to create argument. They're the type of comments I'd rather are avoided.

Roger Prynne
26-05-2015, 00:53
I'm also quite interested to know if radiant brake heat affects tyre temps too
Yes it does.

miagi
26-05-2015, 00:53
I'm also quite interested to know if radiant brake heat affects tyre temps too (obviously on race cars like Formula A, that actually get decent heat in the discs). That could dramatically impact setups on certain tracks that either have a lot of heavy braking, or inversely very little braking.

Yes it does. But margins to play are tight. Normally you always try to run the brake temps rather high, because every bit of additional brake duct means drag. If you suffer with slightly too high tire temps, it can be an option to open up the brake duct a bit and get that bit less heat into the tires. Still the brake ducts is there to manage the brake temps and if you open it up too much, brakes will run too cold and lose performance.

Apoc112
26-05-2015, 01:33
personally i would rather hear this from my race engineer or have to go through the motec for it, but i also prefer to race minimal/no HUD from the helmet cam. if it makes sense for others, though, i'm all for making it an option.

Lukeymonster
26-05-2015, 04:12
do you do all different classes or strictly gt cars? Brake temps are on the motec for race cars.

DIXON76
26-05-2015, 07:41
do you do all different classes or strictly gt cars? Brake temps are on the motec for race cars.We run every class mate, also i've been into league racing since forza 2 and can honestly tell you that the percentage of people using cockpit view is extremly low, a lot of people tend to use bonnet cam.

DIXON76
26-05-2015, 07:45
I don't think it's needed for league racing, and we already did a few seasons in the WMD time. All you need is adjust your brake duct in practice, for example using Tom Shanes Profiler. Once the brake duct is adjusted for your driving and braking for that track, you don't to worry about it any more and also don't need to look at the temps.

You could be right, but its nice to see or hear some kind of indication especially if conditions change.

Whats Tom Shanes Profiler ?

Sankyo
26-05-2015, 07:50
Whats Tom Shanes Profiler ?
PC telemetry tool.

Nelly D Racer
26-05-2015, 08:01
Hi Dixon, you do make a valid point, thing is most sim-racers prefer a more minimalist HUD and prefer to have less distracting info on the screen. I suppose maybe a more customisable HUD would've been more helpful.

Machinist90
26-05-2015, 08:13
Why not race with the telemetry always on. :) oh and remember that you can assign a button for switching between the different pages of your cars motec display. If that car has a display that is, most race cars do.

kinda useless to me since I love driving with speed blur on

MysterG
26-05-2015, 08:14
Moved to feature suggestions and title clarified.

s1yfa
26-05-2015, 09:02
Yes it does. But margins to play are tight. Normally you always try to run the brake temps rather high, because every bit of additional brake duct means drag. If you suffer with slightly too high tire temps, it can be an option to open up the brake duct a bit and get that bit less heat into the tires. Still the brake ducts is there to manage the brake temps and if you open it up too much, brakes will run too cold and lose performance.

That is bloody amazing! I think we are only scratching the surface with understanding the level of detail in this game!

Just to comment on one of Dixon's posts, yes, bonnet cam is by far the most used view at least among my group of friends so motec is useless to most of us. (I want to comment on lack of side to side range of view here too, but that is covered in another thread!) Adding some more info to the hud would be very welcome be we do need to be careful to avoid overly cluttering the screen. At the end of the day we are trying to race cars, not BE the pit wall engineer!

SauRoN_ZA
26-05-2015, 09:06
I would personally just love a bigger HUD option on the PS4.

It's pretty damn hard to see those shift lights on some of the cars.

miagi
26-05-2015, 12:20
Oh sorry guys, forgot that you race on console and can't use the profiler, my bad. If you can record a video on xbox or playstation, run 2 laps with the temp HUD on, record it and review the brake temps afterwards, I sometimes do that too on pc. Check the temps right before the important brake zones, esp. Carbon Ceramic brake discs are vulnerable to low temps. With CC-Discs I'd rather hit 1100C than drop below 550C. Steel disc shouldn't run above 700C for too long or too often, they don't have such a problem with low temps though.

There are tracks where you will not be able to achieve a perfect compromises, like Bathurst for example. On one had you don't want to have too much drag there and also drop too low before "The Chase" on the other hand the discs will run very hot, and fade, into the 2nd corner that is also crucial for a quick lap time.

Another story is that front brake duct is always slightly smaller then the rear needs to be, in other words, rear brake discs run colder than front. When the front discs overheat, mostly the rear discs will be at optimum temps, meaning that the brake balance will move quite a lot towards the back, making it oversteer more into a corner. That can be a problem on Bathurst for example, funnily the solution for that is to move the brake balance by setup towards the rear a bit, that stops the front discs from overheating and prevents the brake balance to shift too much because of temps.