PDA

View Full Version : Why am I always slower on the straighaways???

cudirage13
26-05-2015, 02:34
Ok this is driving me nuts. No matter if it's on multiplayer or single player I always get caught on the straighaways by the other drivers! Idk why at all and it doesn't matter what car I'm using it always happens. I'll do fine to keep them behind me in turns and chicanes until of course the straight comes and I get beat. Idk if there's a setting I can tweak to help my speed on the straight or not and I'm making sure that I'm not shifting too late or early so it's not that either. Anyone else have this problem?

TenthDan
26-05-2015, 02:42
It may be that you're braking too deep into the corners and so not getting back on the gas early enough. This seems likely if your are keeping ahead easily enough into the corners. Try braking a little earlier so that you are coasting and ready to get on the power earlier in the corner.

"Slow in fast out" as they say.

Also look up some youtube guides for racing, i.e. Jackie Stewart etc.

Dam351
26-05-2015, 06:04
Sounds like you could be giving your rivals the slip. Slipstream works really nicely on this game. Though great advice anyway by the above post. I usually try to make my pace from entry or exiting (as described^) Where the longer straight is, thats usually the favoured line. Sometimes a sacrifice of speed along a short route before a long straight will allow your car to be in a much better position for entry to that straight, and therefore your overall lap should be better compared with if you drove flat out on the short route (before a long straight section)

Other things could be controller/wheel setting. Or maybe you have to much down force on ur car or maybe the car is too low. My friend it could be many different things, I'd calibration of controls if needed, then basic car setup and if you're still slow and certain it isn't your own reaction times try posting a video of whats happening

Prophet216
26-05-2015, 06:39
Good advice, IMO you probably have the driving theory down tho, its most likely the fact you drive with assists that bog your engine when you say go, abs that increase stopping distance making it take longer to get thru and out of the corner and get going again. Just please tell me you don't use automatic ;p

TheLethalDose
26-05-2015, 06:44
You may need to lower your diff accel setting a bit and move the weight bias rearward.

Also, getting on the throttle as early as possible makes a big difference on corners leading to straights. You know you are on the right track when you jump on the gas on corner exit and the car pulls to the outside and the outer wheels just touch the rumble strip or edge of the track.

tmitch45
26-05-2015, 07:13
There are a few things to try which could be causing this but first off have you adjusted any of your car settings? There are a number of things that could be causing your lack of speed. If you have increased the aero for better downforce this will increase drag and therefore decrease your acceleration and top speed. Also gearing, if you have decreased your final drive for improved acceleration this will limit top speed and like wise if you have increased final drive for better top speed you acceleration out of the corner will suffer. In terms of driving technique slip stream is quite effective so you need to break this slip stream as much as possible as weaving around is not good form online in particular. If I'm being chased down by someone as soon as I exit a corner I go far off the racing line (and stay there) so there is a delay in the car behind latching onto my slipstream. I'm sure there are loads of other settings which will have an effect on this but these are the most basic things to look at. Hope tis helps.

Hoopdriver
26-05-2015, 08:36
Use the telemetry screen to check that you are getting 100% throttle opening with the pedal fully depressed. If not you probably need to calibrate your pedals.

gbm
26-05-2015, 12:31
I had this same issue.....I simply adjusted the drag in tuning for a bit more speed, and less cornering, and that helped tremendously. I was using an Audi, so I wasn't so concerned about my cornering.

Ofuscor
26-05-2015, 15:14
It may also be to some advanced technics. For example with the default setting the Pagani Zonda tends to slightly oversteer if you press the brakes lightly while cornering. This helps the car to point the front in the right direction faster allowing you to hit the gas a bit before meaning that you end up exiting the corner faster at a higher speed which translates into higher straight speed.

The same is true on very slow 1st gear corners where if you accelerate just enough to make the tyres slip and slide the back a bit it helps turn the front.

cudirage13
26-05-2015, 17:34
Thank you all for the great advice and I will try all your tips later today. In terms of what car I like to drive online most and the tuning setup I have this:
McLaren 12C GT3

Front Left Tire Pressure: 1.80
Front Right Tire Pressure: 1.80
Rear Left Tire Pressure: 1.80
Rear Right Tire Pressure: 1.80
Brake Pressure: 100%
Brake Balance: 50%
Brake Duct: 50%
Traction Control Slip: 1%
Front Downforce: 0.0
Rear Downforce: 3.0
Longitudinal Weight Bias: 53.3%
Front Left Ride Height: 70mm
Front Right Ride Height: 70mm
Rear Left Ride Height: 66mm
Front Left/Right Springs: 210N/mm
Rear Left/Right Springs: 262N/mm
Front Sway Bar: 70N/mm
Rear Sway Bar: 46N/mm
Limited Slip Acceleration Lock: 50%
Limited Slip Deceleration Lock: 50%
Limited Slip Preload: 100N-mm
Radiator: 100%
Brake Mapping: 4
Restrictor: 34.1mm

All other settings are untouched and default.

Ofuscor
26-05-2015, 18:22
Traction Control Slip: 1%
Radiator: 100%
Restrictor: 34.1mm

I donīt really know about suspension to help you with that but I noticed a few things.

Traction Control works a little counter intuitive in this game. The lower the setting and the less the TC let the wheels spin, in other word it activates more. Maximum acceleration is attained when the wheels rotate roughly 10% faster than the actual speed of the car. With the TC set to low like yours is, it is most likely that it is activating even in straight line acceleration, and not letting it spin enough. Try setting it higher.

The Radiator is used to cool the engine, by default it is set to 50% by setting it to 100% the engine is getting more air, running cooler but it also provides more drag which slows you down on the straights. It does not provide more power having a cooler engine.

I may be wrong here, but isnīt the restrictor used to limit the engine power to make cars even? I donīt remember what is the maximum value for the restrictor but it should be all the way to the right.

I have driven the McLaren 12C GT3 a lot, I love that car! Also on the gear box, try setting the final drive on the gear box one point on to acceleration and making the 6th gear higher(to the right) to see of you get better top speed. Depends on the track.

JayChristmas
26-05-2015, 18:51
This seemes to be a screwed setup for me! Better first run the Standard setup and do this a looooong time! the the Front Splitter is mostly used on 2.0, Sometimes on 1.0, the rear wing is not important like in lmp or formula, it ist more for braking down balance and so on, Perhaps reduce it one ore two clicks And try it!

JayChristmas
26-05-2015, 18:52
When it's 1% Slip control without wings, it's Perhaps all the way controling

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 12:14
Use telemetry to check your power band as well. Some cars start loosing power after they peak and before redline. Check the power band to determine your optimal shift point.

cudirage13
27-05-2015, 15:59
I think I was braking a little too early at the corners which caused the problem. I was being a little TOO cautious on the turns instead of taking them on head on and faster. Thanks all for your advice!

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 17:06
I think I was braking a little too early at the corners which caused the problem. I was being a little TOO cautious on the turns instead of taking them on head on and faster. Thanks all for your advice!

Early braking wont get you beat down the straight late accelerating does. Early braking gets you beat on entry and/or allows late brakers to close the gap. Its all relative though. .

sparkymarky
27-05-2015, 17:14
hey I've had a problem with my t300rs and T3PA pedals recently were the pedals are being pressed in fully but I'm only getting about 75 power so check your pedals calibration if that's what your using. I'll also say the pedal problem is a software issue nothing wrong with my actual pedals.

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 17:50
hey I've had a problem with my t300rs and T3PA pedals recently were the pedals are being pressed in fully but I'm only getting about 75 power so check your pedals calibration if that's what your using. I'll also say the pedal problem is a software issue nothing wrong with my actual pedals.

My pedals didn't work out of the box. I had to open them up and tinker with the switch to get it going. It wasn't software related.

sparkymarky
27-05-2015, 18:55
My pedals didn't work out of the box. I had to open them up and tinker with the switch to get it going. It wasn't software related.

my pedals have been working fine up until recently. the problem actually started with GT6. just out of interest what pedals are you using?

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 19:33
my pedals have been working fine up until recently. the problem actually started with GT6. just out of interest what pedals are you using?

T300 stockers. The internals are a joke. The solder joints are a definite weak link, but if you look at how it operates you will see that slippage over time or vibration from transit will cause the calibration to be be wacked out. The software can compensate but there is a finite window. Once that is passed manual ,calibration will be required. The input is basically a volume knob.

Equation
27-05-2015, 19:50
One reason is maybe that other player have been made custom setups. Some setups made better straight speed.

Gazronicus
14-06-2015, 15:30
Not sure if this is applicable or not. Do you have assists on or not. I had braking assists on and with some cars with high power/ speed the brake assist would slow me down well before the corner.

IrideGravity
14-06-2015, 22:44
"I'll do fine to keep them behind me in turns and chicanes" until of course the straight comes and I get beat. Idk if there's a setting I can tweak to help my speed on the straight or not and I'm making sure that I'm not shifting too late or early so it's not that either. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

Problem is what you are trying to achieve in the corner. You are not losing speed on the straight. Your not carrying any through the corner. If your concentrating on blocking and keeping AI behind you, makes it pretty difficult to concentrate on a fast exit line. The AI that simply carried some speed will gobble you up on the straight. Stop blocking. Start driving.
Think about it. "I'll do fine in corners to keep them behind" says it all.