PDA

View Full Version : Your PCARS Review, pro's and cons PLEASE READ OP

mister dog
26-05-2015, 07:58
Project cars has been out for almost 3 weeks now, so we had the chance to form a good opinion about all the pro's and cons already. As such in this thread you can write your own little review. Preferably use the pro and con list like i do, which looks like the final summary when games magazines hand out reviews, so we keep it short, there is no wall of text and it is easy to read for SMS. Also don't forget your final score.
Please keep the debate to a minimum, everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal score.

Pro's:

- Beautiful graphics
- Beautiful day/night transitions and weather diversity
- Excellent physics and tyre model
- Although it is not huge, the car list is great so far.
- Competitive AI who fight for positions
- Addictive career mode structure
- Good engine sounds
- Atmospheric tracks and a great track list.
- Ability to hide the helmet and benefit from look to apex and camera movements.

Cons:

- Bugs need to be ironed out
- Flag system does not work (AI does not respect blue flags, yellow flags missing, would be nice if marshalls would actually wave them instead of talking on the phone :))
- AI has an unfair advantage sometimes
- No friends leaderboard filter
- No save feature for endurance races
- No true multiclass races (restricted)
- Some SFX hiccups (tunnel reverb, wind noise missing on open wheelers).
- Night skies too bright, sun comes up too early during summer.
- No online rating system yet.

Final score: 93%

Lars Rosenquist
27-05-2015, 08:18
Great thread! :) Perhaps worth mentioning to keep the debate to a minimum? Are you going to keep a list of scores with links to individual entries in the first post?

mister dog
27-05-2015, 08:27
Great thread! :) Perhaps worth mentioning to keep the debate to a minimum? Are you going to keep a list of scores with links to individual entries in the first post?
Good idea. I was thinking of maybe keeping track of the average score, but i'm sure some of the 'lunatic fringe' like Ian likes to call them, would pass by and give the game 10% which would screw the average :)
I'll keep a list in the OP then.

ps. WMD members don't be afraid to write one yourselves, i don't think you will be banned from WMD land for not scoring it a 100 haha

Bealdor
27-05-2015, 08:33
Great thread! :) Perhaps worth mentioning to keep the debate to a minimum?...

Agreed. To keep this thread neat and tidy keeping the review/scoring discussion to a minimum would be great. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. :)

Flihp
27-05-2015, 09:15
Pro's:

- Awesome graphics
- good steady fps, smooth
- easy tweakable graphics menu
- Great weather and day/night.
- Some of the best AI i have come across
- fast menu screens and game/ event loading times
-

Cons:

- clunky garage/car/livery menus (Selected/saved livery is not what you get on track sometimes)
- inability to save multiple car setup
- inability to reset car setup without wiping FFB tune
- FFB too many tweakable variables ( spending too much time trying to get this reasonalbe, not enough time racing :( )

Final score: 85%

TrevorAustin
27-05-2015, 09:31
I'm going to wait for 2 patches before doing this. ALL of my cons are things that I hope get fixed/changed.

Lars Rosenquist
27-05-2015, 09:43
You can always do it now and again after each patch?

jim jonez
27-05-2015, 09:56
Big Pro for me
Control menus from wheel on PC(No Keyboard:) )

Fast load times/performance
Online class filters
Lobby system

Cons
Timing info
FFB/Road feeling
Online rating

Temp score 80%

JDFSSS
27-05-2015, 10:03
Pros:

-The game looks great
-Performs well on my hardware
-Physics are good overall
-Good selection of tracks and cars
-The AI will pass you and pressure you
-The immersion is great. Feels like a racing sim.
-Career mode is good overall, though it could be better.
-The weather/changing track conditions are great.
-Get to interact with developers here on the forums

Cons:

-Tire wear doesn't work
-With the automatic tires and the naming discrepancy between the tires available at the setup screen and the tires available when you go into the pits, it creates uncertainty about what tires you are on or what tires you are choosing
-Saved replays don't work
-On replays you can't see basic telemetry (speed/gear/laptime)
-In replays you don't have the ability to switch to other cars
-Can't save multiple setups for one track
-The menus/UI are poorly designed
-The AI doesn't know when it's appropriate to let someone by or concede a position going into a corner
-The AI will dive bomb you and knock you off the road if they are close and you leave a gap on the inside
-Often the AI will squeeze you off the track if you are side by side in a corner
-The AI's simplified physics model doesn't match up with the player's physics model well enough (ai can go too fast through grass/gravel/other low grip surfaces, not affected enough by weather, track conditions, bumps in the road, collisions, etc)
-Can only see online lobbies in your region
-Online is quite bad overall. Many bugs and it needs more structure for public lobbies to be anything but destruction derby.
-Track conditions seem to change too quickly. It seems like when it stops raining a track can go from completely wet to bone dry in 1 lap.
-Penalties are not harsh enough in general

Final score: 75% with potential to go much higher as updates are made

MrStef85
27-05-2015, 10:08
Project cars has been out for almost 3 weeks now, so we had the chance to form a good opinion about all the pro's and cons already. As such in this thread you can write your own little review. Preferably use the pro and con list like i do, which looks like the final summary when games magazines hand out reviews, so we keep it short, there is no wall of text and it is easy to read for SMS. Also don't forget your final score.
Please keep the debate to a minimum, everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal score.

Pro's:

- Beautiful graphics
- Beautiful day/night transitions and weather diversity
- Although it is not huge, the car list is great so far.
- Competitive AI who fight for positions
- Addictive career mode structure
- Good engine sounds
- Atmospheric tracks and a great track list.

Cons:

- Bugs need to be ironed out
- Flag system does not work (AI does not respect blue flags, yellow flags missing, would be nice if marshalls would actually wave them instead of talking on the phone :))
- AI has an unfair advantage sometimes
- No friends leaderboard filter
- No save feature for endurance races
- No true multiclass races (restricted)
- Some SFX hiccups (tunnel reverb, wind noise missing).
- No online rating system yet.

Final score: 93%

Great one! Cheers..

NemethR
27-05-2015, 10:17
The short of it: This is the best racing game / simulation I ever played. Yet it has its flaws, but those can be sorted out.
In my view:

Pros:
* Total immersion - you feel really like sitting in the car, the visuals, the noise, the feel of the FFB is just great.
* Great track and car roster - A lot of tracks to choose from, and a lot of cars too (my favorites are not in the game tough).
* Amazing wether and day/night cycle - Heavy rain with fog in the night with a Formula A car on the Nordschleife with slicks... Can a mazochist ask for more?! :D
* Every car is different - No matter what car I am driving, it feels, drives, and reacts differently to other cars.
* Competitive AI - The way the Ai drives is something really new, its challenging (yet a bit slow), and if you treat them as real drivers, they do a good job in not crashing into you.

Cons:
* Unfinished game: Missing pit crews, rain effect on windscreen, that is unworthy to the game, missing AI tweaks, Tracks can be cut to death, and so on...
* Too complicated setup: Its nice that you can tweak any aspect of your car, but those who are not so much into the setup thing could use a simplified version. (Just add an option to choose simple / advanced.)
* Racing classes underrepresented. Altough GT3 is really nice with a lot of cars, Trans-Am, Gr.5, Gr.A, Historic Touring are missing some variety.
* Sakkito. I just can't and will never understand why that is in the game, all that time that the devs put into it, could have been much better used building another track, and now this mutated, deformed version of Su***a... Its really disapointing. I would be much happier if that would not be in the game at all.

Overall score: 97%

To be honest its 90% at the moment, but I am sure the glitches will be sorted out, and then it will be a solid 97% from me.

FA RACING 01
27-05-2015, 10:40
On XBone with Thrustmaster TX F458 FFB

PRO'S
# Great graphics/physics
# Great car and track list
# Very competitive AI
# Very good event loading times
# Thrustmaster TX wheel working great
# Great immersion
# Very good support and interaction on forums by the developers [adds 10%+ on it's own for me]
# True SIM

CONS
# Super skills of A1 in rain
# Leaderboard filtering lacks - classes / friend times
# No multiple setup saves for car
# Tire wear not real
# Track boundaries too lenient and allows for cutting
# Framerate distortions

Overall temporary score [pre-patch update] : 87%

>>> Remains my best Racing Game ever played.

Yannick Van Broeck
27-05-2015, 11:32
Pro's:

- beautiful graphics
- amazing atmosphere
- AI can be competitive
- car list
- track list

Con's
- user interface
- would've like a Ferrari GT3 :P
- AI cheats (ignores flags, weather, ... )
- the bugs, god, the bugs... (stuck in bumper cam, having to reconnect to be able to get out of the lobby, frequent disconnects, ...)
- missing features to set up proper league racing
- missing sounds

I'm a pc gamer by heart so I can only view it from this perspective: I want to race pCars in a league format so we can set up some sort of endurance competition but in all fairness it's bloody hard. The game has TONS of potential, if they iron out these annoying bugs I can live with a clunky console user interface. My score: 75%

BlueFin175
27-05-2015, 14:24
On the XB1 with a controller
Pro's

- Physics and the tire model are simply second to none
- Audio is great with a few small exceptions
- AI are very 'competitive' .. heh
- Visuals and the Helmet cam with FOV adjustments are wonderful.
- Track and car selection (although BTCC and WTCC missing) is excellent
- Overall immersion is just outstanding

Con's (are mostly small niggles)

- Gearing setups need smaller increment adjustments (really annoying for some reason .. heh)
- Imperial measurement not consistent (ie: BAR tire pressures)
- Access to the Options menu needs to be available from more UI pages (ie: Free Practice garage !)
- HUD adjustments not saving (Ack !)
- Online livery selection needs work
- Track layout stencils PLEASE !!! (Both online and Free practice)
- Online car selection is cumbersome and should be like Free Practice
- Multiplayer Lobby AFK, if you do not ready up, then you should be able to get left behind in the lobby and spectate
- Ability to setup Online Team racing and multiple race series
- Replays need to be saved locally and not to the cloud and limited by 512mb

Overall score, 90% If the niggles get worked out and I was able to play Backwards Idiot in my Own Private Lobby (Just sayin' .. heh) then it would be a slam dunk 100% no questions asked.

Francorchamps
27-05-2015, 14:34
Pro's:

- Excellent graphics
- Lots of tracks
- It has formula 1
- Competitive races

Cons:

- Career mode is kind of boring
- AI cut's at almost every corner
- No friends activity
- Ugly and confusing lay out
- menu navigation is like a mini game at it self. You never know what item will be selected
- The outcome of races is so random that championships are way to easy to win. AI should not all be equal

My score score: 82%