PDA

View Full Version : Every car feels like a bad Forza tune

Eyerex
26-05-2015, 10:57
I swapped over to the PS4 after owning a Xbox 360 and playing Forza 3 and 4 and spent most of my time in D class in my C1 and Ford Fiesta also running the Ovals and was hoping Project CARS would be up there with Forza but for me the handling on every car feels like a bad Forza tune like a rev banger some people liked to drive where you feel like your driving around on tippy toes

I just don't get any feedback from a pad on what the tyres or car are doing it's a shame as was hoping for great things from Project CARS but i've been left disappointed fingers crossed maybe with a few updates things will get better for us pad drivers but for now my copy is back in it's box on a shelf

Ian Bell
26-05-2015, 10:59
I swapped over to the PS4 after owning a Xbox 360 and playing Forza 3 and 4 and spent most of my time in D class in my C1 and Ford Fiesta also running the Ovals and was hoping Project CARS would be up there with Forza but for me the handling on every car feels like a bad Forza tune like a rev banger some people liked to drive where you feel like your driving around on tippy toes

I just don't get any feedback from a pad on what the tyres or car are doing it's a shame as was hoping for great things from Project CARS but i've been left disappointed fingers crossed maybe with a few updates things will get better for us pad drivers but for now my copy is back in it's box on a shelf

Is this in races or time trial?

pCARS has a very realistic tyre heat simulation. Before they 'get up to green' on the HUD it really is like tippy toes, and it should be. This is mainly with the more racy cars. Street tyres don't suffer as much.

danowat
26-05-2015, 11:04
Also keep an eye on your setups, because any changes you make can sometimes disappear and be replaced by very undrivable settings.

I'm a long time FM player, and for me, the feedback from the tyres in PCars is at least as good, if not better than FM.

What controller settings are you using?

Johnny_Aus
26-05-2015, 11:11
Imo with the right controller settings (look it up), I think SMS have done a marvelous job with the Dual Shock Controller. I was pleasantly surprised. You just need to get the settings right. Changing to Input Mode 2 is like night and day FYI.

It's the wheel Force Feedback that really needs fixing (I know beating the same drum - but there are many of us and I want to be heard because the problems are REAL).

dwalldorf
26-05-2015, 12:01
Make sure you're not only experiencing this with cold tires! In some races you start with racing tires that have about 25C and as long as they are below 40-50 they really feel like driving on ice or as if the suspension is completely broken. Soon after that it get's way better ;)

HarryHoodlum
26-05-2015, 13:50
Agree with the earlier posters. Also make sure if you're having trouble to start with assists on (Gameplay > Allow assists "yes" > ABS "yes" > TC "yes" > Stability "yes"). Even though I moved over to a wheel quite swiftly, I thought the game handled great with a controller and assists on. This game is not very forgiving, so don't expect Forza/GT levels of unrealistic physics, damage modeling or aforementioned break/tire warming. Be patient and try harder.

Only thing this game could have used is a training/testing mode. Maybe something similar to GT's license tests or whatever, where the game tells you what you're doing wrong or you can be told how well you're performing. It's tricky to figure everything out in race scenarios. But again, this game is raw and unforgiving, so maybe learning the hard way is the only way.

danowat
26-05-2015, 13:58
This game is not very forgiving, so don't expect Forza/GT levels of unrealistic physics

Hmmmm.........

KK78
26-05-2015, 14:06
I find Project Cars easier to play than Forza to be honest, most of the time unless it is in road cars which I am finding hard to like in Project Cars.

HarryHoodlum
26-05-2015, 14:14
Hmmmm.........

Is that hmmmm suggesting somehow that wall-riding at 200mph is realistic?

danowat
26-05-2015, 14:24
Is that hmmmm suggesting somehow that wall-riding at 200mph is realistic?

No, some parts of FM aren't realistic I'll grant you, but being derogatory to a game which actually has a pretty advanced and realistic tyre and suspension model isn't great form, considering the limitations of PCars, especially the sense of over bearing longitudinal tyre grip.

rocafella1978
26-05-2015, 14:30
Hmmmm.........

IMO, agree with initial reply of DANOWAT, setups are completely disregarded and disappear, reset to default, i have not been able to replicate some resets but other resets are easy, just go setup your car, practice and qualify, then race, you will see in race nothing like practice nor qualification, and sometimes setups are moved over or however else you want to call it, when you select cars in the main menu, this happens in SOLO and PRACTICE, at least ON MY game/ system!

...also not productive when some people post negative replies or discourage community members./ other players from their postings, sometimes that's the way you find bugs and glitches or other problems.

while at this topic: I have noticed in game/ garage vehicle color is red or black and then leaving pits changes to the livery picked in the menu (happened now 2-3x times at SPA and MONZA) also in the main menu, some GT3 cars, have suddenly PLAIN COLORS (like total red, black, blue or orange, but you can't select them, as soon as you go to livery picking the color is gone...surely not a wanted feature ;) is a bug or problem here too!) unless again, has to do with the fact that I came from another game and used to better menus???????

BSDShoes
26-05-2015, 14:31
Yeah... I said in another post a few weeks ago, if you're coming from Forza you won't like this game- if you're coming from Assetto Corsa, rFactor, iRacing or GTR or such, you'll fit right into this game like a glove.

I love the Forza series, Forza 3 was the best of them all, sadly Forza 4 and 5 were heavily based around DLC's, but Forza isn't a "true" simulator, it's more of a hybrid crossover of simulator and arcade, car handling in Forza is quite different from most simulators I've played over the past couple decades.

danowat
26-05-2015, 14:34
I love the Forza series, Forza 3 was the best of them all, sadly Forza 4 and 5 were heavily based around DLC's, but Forza isn't a "true" simulator, it's more of a hybrid crossover of simulator and arcade, car handling in Forza is quite different from most simulators I've played over the past couple decades.

And yet, with a controller, PCars and Forza feel very similar, go figure.

BSDShoes
26-05-2015, 14:40
And yet, with a controller, PCars and Forza feel very similar, go figure.

I doesn't to me, steering is a bit touchy in Forza (too much steering linear) whereas I have complete control of steering speed in PCARS.

HarryHoodlum
26-05-2015, 15:09
No, some parts of FM aren't realistic I'll grant you, but being derogatory to a game which actually has a pretty advanced and realistic tyre and suspension model isn't great form, considering the limitations of PCars, especially the sense of over bearing longitudinal tyre grip.

Maybe we have different definitions of derogatory? I played GT and FM for years and enjoyed myself. Calling those games "brutal" or "unforgiving" in realism would be a huge overstatement.

BSDShoes
26-05-2015, 19:16
I just did a few hot laps on le Mans with the Audi R18 in both Forza 5 and PCARS, um what a difference in times.

My best time on Forza 5 with no tuning to the car: 3:57
My best time on PCARS with lowered tire pressure (it was from a previous race in light rain/fog weather): 3:52

I know the times aren't the greatest. All assists turned off in both, steering is set to simulated in Forza 5, using a controller for both.

Gonna do more track/car comparisons on both games.

Wheelzr
26-05-2015, 19:33
Played mainly Forza the last 5 years before buying PS4. Until I tuned the controller settings just right, I thought this game was borderline unplayable.

My main beef with this game is lack of driver training. I think the game should flesh out the missing 'Engineer' to help identify why control was lost. Driving the Caterham Super 7 with no assists was torture on me. I had no idea what "lift off oversteer" was, and I had no idea I'd have to feather the gas before/after/during braking. Likewise with some cars I don't know very well (like the Ford MKVI) I seemingly always get to much power on corner exits --so I compensate by slowly easing the gas...and thus get smoked by everyone.

This has sort of turned me into just finding one or two cars I like to run...I'd like to learn/tune more but the lack of information and training in the game seems like a gigantic canyon to cross.

JayChristmas
26-05-2015, 20:20
I dont realy get the point, what is wrong now?
There are a lot of issues and things to do, but i think this game is the future and has a lot of options!
Sometimes things need time to get localized and get fixed! this is a long learning Prozess for years!
I played race driver, gran turismo, nascar the game and some others, and I like the physics of PC! I m not the best too, drive with pad to, but what do i expect, when i dont by a driving chair, wheels and pedals, to see, what the game is able to to and what is not

IrideGravity
26-05-2015, 23:22
No they don't. They just don't. Your crazy or not in tune with the physics engine if you can't tell the difference between the Ariel atom and anything else. There are subtle differences in all the GT3 classes of cars as well. For whatever reason, they are lost on you. Don't know what input device you use. If it's a pad, duh. I'm sorry, but duh. How is a pad going to communicate ffb or anything different? Get a wheel and you will feel the difference.

Using a pad effectively means dialing out all the feels so it can clumsily run over curbs and is less responsive/twitchy at the limit of traction. Wouldn't surprise me if all the cars felt the same once you get a controller config dialed in- or out I should say. ;)

Reread that you are a pad user. Sorry, but I feel like the two hours I played on a pad were tough, but you should definitely see a difference in an atom and a evo still. I could anyway, but I never messed with the settings either.

MiZtErNiCe
26-05-2015, 23:45
everyone is talking about changing the controller settings to make the game playable, i just dont get it, im doing top 10 leaderboard times in TT using the gamepad with standard out the box settings mainly with the formula a cars which are quite hard to drive at first, i change the steering rack speed in the car setup and everything is fine.

JayChristmas
26-05-2015, 23:57
everyone is talking about changing the controller settings to make the game playable, i just dont get it, im doing top 10 leaderboard times in TT using the gamepad with standard out the box settings mainly with the formula a cars which are quite hard to drive at first, i change the steering rack speed in the car setup and everything is fine.

Who ist everyone? It's nice you do that, but is that whatfore all people PlaY? Most People wannA race against others, doesnt matter what is the World rrecord, so chanching the controller settings is helpful with lots of cars close to each others!

awaite85
27-05-2015, 02:01
I thought Project CARS was easy to pick up. The tuning takes a couple days to get down but other than that, I have gotten most of the cars stabilized very well.

Bouyo
27-05-2015, 02:31
Played mainly Forza the last 5 years before buying PS4. Until I tuned the controller settings just right, I thought this game was borderline unplayable.

My main beef with this game is lack of driver training. I think the game should flesh out the missing 'Engineer' to help identify why control was lost. Driving the Caterham Super 7 with no assists was torture on me. I had no idea what "lift off oversteer" was, and I had no idea I'd have to feather the gas before/after/during braking. Likewise with some cars I don't know very well (like the Ford MKVI) I seemingly always get to much power on corner exits --so I compensate by slowly easing the gas...and thus get smoked by everyone.

This has sort of turned me into just finding one or two cars I like to run...I'd like to learn/tune more but the lack of information and training in the game seems like a gigantic canyon to cross.

I totally agree that there should be some sort of training, or tutorials, or a 'race school'. Even Grand Theft Auto has a flippin' driving school!

PureMalt77
27-05-2015, 07:19
Setup your wheel and FFB on the cars as mentioned here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24055-Universal-FFB-Settings-for-PS4-XB1-Spreadsheet

Photonmonkey
27-05-2015, 21:35
I am using a pad and to me all cars feel different and once the controller settings are tweaked they are all perfectly driveable. I am a Forza veteran but got bored with the same tracks same pre-baked time of day etc. don't get me wrong I loved Forza 5 when it came out but got stale pretty quickly. I have to say the physics in PC to me 'feel' more realistic and that is what keeps me just hot lapping on different tracks different cars different day/weather settings just cannot get bored with this game and haven't even really started tuning yet. I know there are numerous bugs but I am sure the majority will get patched.