PDA

View Full Version : It's real hard to go back to Driveclub...

gbm
26-05-2015, 12:55
Anyone else try playing Driveclub after spending a few weeks with Pcars?

It's real tough. :culpability:

I feel like I'm driving on ice the entire time in Driveclub, no matter what I do.

Shame, because I really liked Driveclub, and it's cars....but I just can't get back into it. Although, I don't miss the AI nonsense in that game either!

KK78
26-05-2015, 13:28
I feared that might happen to me but I went back to it at the weekend and it still feels great, so fast and precise. I'm absolutely delighted that I have 2 awesome racing games on my PS4 which offer very different experiences.

gbm
26-05-2015, 13:41
I feared that might happen to me but I went back to it at the weekend and it still feels great, so fast and precise. I'm absolutely delighted that I have 2 awesome racing games on my PS4 which offer very different experiences.

You don't find the steering and sliding around to be a bummer?

KK78
26-05-2015, 13:51
Not at all, unless I'm in the something like the Venom, Gumpert or Koneiggsegg One: 1 I don't find sliding an issue, Driveclub although a arcade racer relies heavily on the old 'brake, turn in and power through corners' principle. I find as soon as you are sliding you are losing time.

I did expect it hard to get back into but was pleasantly surprised.

gbm
26-05-2015, 13:59
Not at all, unless I'm in the something like the Venom, Gumpert or Koneiggsegg One: 1 I don't find sliding an issue, Driveclub although a arcade racer relies heavily on the old 'brake, turn in and power through corners' principle. I find as soon as you are sliding you are losing time.

I did expect it hard to get back into but was pleasantly surprised.

Great, I'll have to re-visit it then!

gbm
27-05-2015, 23:52
eeeeesh, just played it again, I gotta go by my original statement.....it's HARD to go back to this game after Pcars.

I literally just spent the entire race sliding from side to side like I was in a drift race. I wish Driveclub would get rid of that "on ice" feeling, it's a great game. It's impossible to keep up with the AI without going FULL BLAST, and that full blast results in immediate slip -n- slide.

Anyway...

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 23:56
im still glad i have it, as a lot of my friends cant get into a game like pcars while imbibing...some can but they're natural gamers. driveclub is for my casual friends, lol

jason
28-05-2015, 03:24
I have not had a go of driveclub since I purchased project cars , I really enjoyed driveclub for what it is (great fun arcade racer) ........ Got a heap of World records to boot PSN SUBGTRACER .

Not sure if I want to go back, I now play with around 20 Australians who race cleanly as we possibly can and they are on most nights and we all get along nicely I didn't get a that from driveclub .

Once we have a season up and running I don't think I will ever go back.
I just want to enjoy some realistic racing for a while and see if slightly mad can add all the things that would make this a stellar sim.

muscular
28-05-2015, 05:46
Driveclub may be a tad arcady, but i really liked the graphics and weather effects.

MrStef85
28-05-2015, 08:24
DriveClub sucks...always understeer with that game.

BSDShoes
28-05-2015, 08:27
Yikes, I tried tonight and yep it's like driving on ice, meanwhile went to play iRacing, GTR Evolution, GTR 2, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1, etc. and nope, not driving on ice. lol

gbm
28-05-2015, 12:23
Driveclub may be a tad arcady, but i really liked the graphics and weather effects.

Yeah man, Driveclub kicks A** in the graphics department. It really is on another level......especially with the REPLAYS.

Having said that, it is nearly impossible to take any turns without screeching and sliding out. Shame because I DO like that game, but it's just soooo unrealistic in terms of "driving".

KK78
28-05-2015, 12:38
I have not had a go of driveclub since I purchased project cars , I really enjoyed driveclub for what it is (great fun arcade racer) ........ Got a heap of World records to boot PSN SUBGTRACER .

Not sure if I want to go back, I now play with around 20 Australians who race cleanly as we possibly can and they are on most nights and we all get along nicely I didn't get a that from driveclub .

Once we have a season up and running I don't think I will ever go back.
I just want to enjoy some realistic racing for a while and see if slightly mad can add all the things that would make this a stellar sim.

I'll add you on PSN mate, for both Project Cars and Driveclub if you come back to it.

Not sure what some mean by driving on ice, I don't find it like that at all on Driveclub, sure the fastest cars will slide if you let them.

As for oversteer at every corner? You clearly ain't playing it right

gp20
28-05-2015, 12:53
I think that cars in DC don't use slick tyres.

gbm
28-05-2015, 13:33
Not sure what some mean by driving on ice, I don't find it like that at all on Driveclub, sure the fastest cars will slide if you let them.

As for oversteer at every corner? You clearly ain't playing it right

Come on nowwww.....every single turn you take in this game results in SCCCRREEEECCCHHHH and then the car slides. In fact, the ONLY real way to keep up with any AI racers, (and especially online) is to drift around each and every corner.

There is a major difference in how DC handles turns and how PCars handles turns.

KK78
28-05-2015, 13:48
Come on nowwww.....every single turn you take in this game results in SCCCRREEEECCCHHHH and then the car slides. In fact, the ONLY real way to keep up with any AI racers, (and especially online) is to drift around each and every corner.

There is a major difference in how DC handles turns and how PCars handles turns.

I agree the cars handle very different in both games but 'drifting'?? Drifting loses time, the video below is from the Hotlap league I run and is a top 3 time globally on this Norway track in the Lamborghini Aventador, if you watch the points indicator closely I don't drift once, the tyres screech as they would been road tyres but no drifting mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBqyLu4bPw

gbm
28-05-2015, 14:14
I agree the cars handle very different in both games but 'drifting'?? Drifting loses time, the video below is from the Hotlap league I run and is a top 3 time globally on this Norway track in the Lamborghini Aventador, if you watch the points indicator closely I don't drift once, the tyres screech as they would been road tyres but no drifting mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBqyLu4bPw

Hey, how'd you do that?!?!?

KK78
28-05-2015, 14:54
Driveclub leads you to believe it is an all out arcade racer and that you don't get penalised for driving it like one, you appear to be able to take immense speed into and out of corners. Driveclub is best viewed as an arcade sim in my view. So you can drive it like an arcade racer, so the back end goes out, you drift and slide around corners, you overshoot corners but recover relatively easy and you may hit the odd barrier without too much penalty BUT you will not be remotely fast.

In reality to be fast at DC you will employ many of the same principles you do in Project Cars, you position for the corners, judge the entry, lift off the gas, brake, feed into the corner carrying a sensible amount of speed and judge when to power out of it keeping the car straight. If you carry too much speed, brake too late, hit the gas too soon on the exit or exit at an angle the game will punish you, just not as much as in PCars because Driveclub is far less severe on how a car truly handles under the loads of cornering.

That's probably why I can switch between the 2 easily because I drive them both with the same principles only in PCars I have more far more respect for finer elements such as tyre conditions, race conditions, aerodynamics, age of car, & types, car weights, the set-ups and those much finer points of the second to second movements the cars make.

gp20
28-05-2015, 15:07
I think that cars in DC don't use slick tyres.

This.

novcze
28-05-2015, 17:25
traction is king in Driveclub, don't get confused with arcade label, same principles that makes you fast in simulation games makes you fast in the Driveclub

https://youtu.be/TY0yPqoXUpM

gbm
28-05-2015, 17:41
Driveclub leads you to believe it is an all out arcade racer and that you don't get penalised for driving it like one, you appear to be able to take immense speed into and out of corners. Driveclub is best viewed as an arcade sim in my view. So you can drive it like an arcade racer, so the back end goes out, you drift and slide around corners, you overshoot corners but recover relatively easy and you may hit the odd barrier without too much penalty BUT you will not be remotely fast.

In reality to be fast at DC you will employ many of the same principles you do in Project Cars, you position for the corners, judge the entry, lift off the gas, brake, feed into the corner carrying a sensible amount of speed and judge when to power out of it keeping the car straight. If you carry too much speed, brake too late, hit the gas too soon on the exit or exit at an angle the game will punish you, just not as much as in PCars because Driveclub is far less severe on how a car truly handles under the loads of cornering.

That's probably why I can switch between the 2 easily because I drive them both with the same principles only in PCars I have more far more respect for finer elements such as tyre conditions, race conditions, aerodynamics, age of car, & types, car weights, the set-ups and those much finer points of the second to second movements the cars make.

I appreciate the in detail reply/advice.

I'll go revisit it and report back.

sirsilver1968
28-05-2015, 18:50
I'll be honest since I got p cars I have neglected driveclub, however I know that once driveclub gets private lobbies I'll be on it again as I've had some great online races and I love the tracks and the weathe effects.

KK78
28-05-2015, 19:39
traction is king in Driveclub, don't get confused with arcade label, same principles that makes you fast in simulation games makes you fast in the Driveclub

https://youtu.be/TY0yPqoXUpM

That's a nice lap there, I love that track though usually in the other direction

cloakdeath
28-05-2015, 23:22
The guys at driveclub must be geniuses, for they managed to implement a system into multiplayer where a person who drives full speed into you in a corner gets punished! Who da thunk it.

Outspan33
29-05-2015, 06:28
DriveClub was worth 20 to scratch that racing itch, but it is 100% pants compared to Project Cars and I will never be booting it up again ... ebay here we come