PDA

View Full Version : Non contact racing, wil it ever be an option?

Diablo944
26-05-2015, 17:17
We set up a small championship between friends this week. Its taken less than a couple or so of races to find that some of our group drive like tw@s. First corner, perfect line, turn in and bang, t boned. Lots of 'there was room, it was your fault you turned into me' and various other excuses. But you check the replay and its a knobhead move plain and simple. I know for a fact that i am better than some of them at getting around the track, but with the barging that some do, they believe themselves better based on their win, despite that win often being at the expense of a leaders game getting ruined by a knobhead ram and overtake in a hairpin. As tye only one driving a manual setup and in car its even more frustrating when you get walled by a need for speed driver who then pisses off up the road chuckling at how good their overtake manoevre was.

Can we have a non contact race option at some point? I know its not in the spirit of simulation, but unfortunately sometimes its just impossible to find who is actually the best driver when there are plato drivers in the mix. Perhaps an option for the host to add a forced ten second penalty for any impact. As it stands its no foul for bad drivers. There are only six of us, so banning anyone is not an option, especially when they see no wrong in their driving.

At the very least, can we have an option in the ghost cars race to filter/find and race our friends ghosts rather than a global list that only provides someone i neither know nor care to race against. In the real world, it is best compared to being like a group of friends trying to beat each others times on a donington track day, but the only times actually shown being somebody that we dont know.

eracerhead
26-05-2015, 17:22
It's amazing isn't it? Like there's no expectation that the driver ahead is going to brake (or at least slow) for the corner, so rear-enders happen way too frequently.

Most people I know of who race well make their passes on corner exit, not in divebombing the apex. Online it's usually the opposite. And when they're taken to task for it, these drivers are always "I'm the best driver here"...

daddyboosive
26-05-2015, 17:38
Come and join matsuoracing.com

Some sort of penalty system for repeat(harsh) contact would be great. But with how buggy this game is anyway. I doubt SMS would be able to implement it properly. If you think about it. It would probably be quite hard to create the right ballance. So both parties come away with the right outcome and justice. I've had great races were there has been rubbing and bumps here and there. It would totally spoil close racing like that. If it couldn't differentiate between that and dirty racing. Giving penalties all the time and spoiling good races etc.

A bit off subject but hot lap penalties for instance. I've not always agreed with them. How can going wide, off track and on the grass/gravel help your time? Then use all of the run off be ok? Fair enough when cutting a corner. But messing up and going wide. Wtf? Lol

TrevorAustin
26-05-2015, 18:05
It's amazing isn't it? Like there's no expectation that the driver ahead is going to brake (or at least slow) for the corner, so rear-enders happen way too frequently.

Most people I know of who race well make their passes on corner exit, not in divebombing the apex. Online it's usually the opposite. And when they're taken to task for it, these drivers are always "I'm the best driver here"...

But my race engineer keeps tellimg me to oytbreak him in the slow corners

Bounkass
26-05-2015, 18:08
But my race engineer keeps tellimg me to oytbreak him in the slow corners

The pit-engineer is on LSD in Project Cars. Don't believe him.

Martini Da Gasalini
26-05-2015, 18:14
The pit-engineer is on LSD in Project Cars. Don't believe him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this one made me cry. :D

Diablo944
26-05-2015, 22:47

Just had it happen again aaaaarrrghhhh! Same player ffs. I was in first, done some racing i was proud of, then from fourth in a ninety degree bend, BLAM! Funny as hell apparently to second and third who saw it happen. Me? fecked off and made a brew.

Championship thoughts went with it. Every race starts with him behind me. Is there a setting somewhere that allows random positioning rather than the same every time? At least if he is in front i can wait for him to crash and get on with the race. Incidentally, in the race after the smash out tonight, i decided not to set off til he passed me. Bad idea, he rammed me then blamed me for that too. Cant win. Literally cant win.

eracerhead
26-05-2015, 23:11
In multiplayer, exit the lobby and re-enter; that should move you down the list. Just watch for any BS up ahead and steer around him. Or just qualify much better than him...!

MiZtErNiCe
26-05-2015, 23:25
as much as i hate to admit it non contact should be an option for public lobbies. as should the option for the host to kick out nuisance players at the click of a button both in lobby and in race. maybe on pc its different but surely SMS know whats going on in public lobbies on consoles.

either that or add dodgems as a class of car :stupid:

apexatspeed
26-05-2015, 23:35
I think there should be an option for non contact racing. If you don't want to use it then just don't join a lobby with it on. I'd probably play in both types of lobbies though depending on my mood.

IrideGravity
26-05-2015, 23:39
Plus one for non contact mode. Can't be hard to implement ghosting. We know it already exists for the AI and in the pits.

Mrbrown33
26-05-2015, 23:46
Me and my mates all race with the racing line on. So the rules we play by is, whos on it, the other has to go round them. Simple 🙈

gotdirt410sprintcar
27-05-2015, 00:01
grimmghost from snail is starting a league go to snail racecar series on gtplanet good clean racing.

Diablo944
27-05-2015, 00:07
Me and my mates all race with the racing line on. So the rules we play by is, whos on it, the other has to go round them. Simple ��

If only it were that simple. Its ironic to me that in games like gta the thought of non contact was never considered, but in something like pcars that gives players a sense of reward in doing well, the desire for a non contact option would improve some gaming environments massively. It would at least prove who really is the best of our group. My friends, or at least a portion of my friends are ruining the online experience, for me at least.

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 00:13
non contact is like simultaneous time trials. i wouldn't care if it was an option but i hope it would be off/full-contact by default. i don't bowl with the bumpers in the gutters

ChrisK
27-05-2015, 00:17
The problem is with the person, not the game. Can you imagine a contactless race ? You may as well just play time trials with a bunch of ghosts. I know it's frustrating but it's just part of the online experience. Even with good racers who all know eachother there is often contact at some point. Again, part of racing.

My question is, do you have full damage and mechanical failures turned on ? This tends to discourage some of that behaviour. If the damage is visual only then people tend to be a lot more ambitious in hos they're racing.

Diablo944
27-05-2015, 00:18
non contact is like simultaneous time trials. i wouldn't care if it was an option but i hope it would be off/full-contact by default. i don't bowl with the bumpers in the gutters

Couldnt agree more. Full contact by default, ghost (simultaneous time trial, nice phrase) as an option for those times we have an untrustworthy driver in our midst.

AntinOz
27-05-2015, 06:09
Whilst I agree with some of the comments here, it seems that the OP just needs to find another group to race with. It appears that five out of six people in this group believe it is acceptable behaviour when racing together.

This behaviour in a RANDOM lobby is different, then it is downright annoying.

Neil Bateman
27-05-2015, 06:31
There is always contact in racing, rubbins racing as they say but what you are talking about is bad idiotic driving, guys who have no respect for others on track and with a win or nothing attitude.

I have had so many good clean very close races with a little contact here and there which is what i would expect.

MiZtErNiCe
27-05-2015, 08:40
why are pc gamers posting in here?

joridiculous
27-05-2015, 10:45
Why not? Its same problem on all platforms :P

Non contact options is a nono. Contact happens in all races. This is a sim, not arcade like Forza, GT, The Crew etc. But what they should have (how ever they can make it happen) is a penalty system for abusive driving. If they can have a "broken" penalty system for out of track (Whyyy, you don't gain anything driving on the grass, gravel) they can have it for needless bumping/pushing/crashing..
Like CrishK says above. Have full damage on. That will encourage people to be more careful. You will still have crashes, touches,c ant be avoided.

KamyKaze1098
27-05-2015, 10:50
Just get better "friends" to play with. You know, the kind of friends who share your vision of how a race should be.

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 10:53
It's standard racing rules and etiquette. tiger woods...or, rory mcelroy pga tour won't let you "improve your lie a little, judge."...

you shouldn't need a special group to not get griefed in a motorsports game. this isn't gta.

Sonny Crockett
27-05-2015, 10:58
If you want a non-contact racegame. Go play GTA or something.

FoxMulder
27-05-2015, 11:06
Always run Full Damage lobbies, that'll will eliminate most of the bumper cars kids and crashers. But you'll still have contacts and occasional push-offs because it's a video game and people take more chances and risks than they would in real life racing when their life depends on their driving style.

_MB_
27-05-2015, 11:36
Good drivers are out there you just need to find them.Most have no spacial awareness,sometimes i feel im looking in my mirrors more than the road ahead however you will find the odd good driver in an evening.Add those guys and in time you should have a decent amount of drivers to create a safe clean private lobby.

Revvin
27-05-2015, 11:51
We set up a small championship between friends this week. Its taken less than a couple or so of races to find that some of our group drive like tw@s. First corner, perfect line, turn in and bang, t boned. Lots of 'there was room, it was your fault you turned into me' and various other excuses. But you check the replay and its a knobhead move plain and simple. I know for a fact that i am better than some of them at getting around the track, but with the barging that some do, they believe themselves better based on their win, despite that win often being at the expense of a leaders game getting ruined by a knobhead ram and overtake in a hairpin. As tye only one driving a manual setup and in car its even more frustrating when you get walled by a need for speed driver who then pisses off up the road chuckling at how good their overtake manoevre was.

Can we have a non contact race option at some point? I know its not in the spirit of simulation, but unfortunately sometimes its just impossible to find who is actually the best driver when there are plato drivers in the mix. Perhaps an option for the host to add a forced ten second penalty for any impact. As it stands its no foul for bad drivers. There are only six of us, so banning anyone is not an option, especially when they see no wrong in their driving.

At the very least, can we have an option in the ghost cars race to filter/find and race our friends ghosts rather than a global list that only provides someone i neither know nor care to race against. In the real world, it is best compared to being like a group of friends trying to beat each others times on a donington track day, but the only times actually shown being somebody that we dont know.

Sounds like you need to find yourself a better group of racers or have a discussion with them about their idea of racing. When I've set up groups in the past its always a good idea to run a few 'friendlies' first to weed out the bad apples before a league series starts.

I have the game on PC, XBOX One and PS4 but you can only choose one format as your main one.

beer_n_frites
27-05-2015, 11:52

I wasn't asked when I signed up, what platform I was on. It defaults to PC.

SketchyRacer
27-05-2015, 14:22
My question is, do you have full damage and mechanical failures turned on ? This tends to discourage some of that behaviour. If the damage is visual only then people tend to be a lot more ambitious in hos they're racing.

this... i've played online in a couple of races where it was just racing... there was a bit of tomfoolery but there always is... i suppose if people are penalized for crashing (on propose) and it affects their affinity or and causing damage to their cars or something then it would discourage them... thinking about it... being able to set a required affinity level to join a session would be good. so for instance in order to race in a particular lobby you have to have 90% affinity and if you purposefully crash in to people you get heavily penalized and lose affinity.... then it would force people to race cleanly to build up their affinity in order to race other like minded people... otherwise they can stick to losing their online affinity and carry on their demolition derby with other people who prefer to do that.

LPlates
27-05-2015, 14:31
I think there is room for some middle ground here. Some of the best races I have had involved a lot of light contact and that shouldn't really be removed.

What we need is the game to differentiate between a light bump/rub and an outright torpedo into the breaking area. GT6 deals with these by ghosting the offending car past a certain threshold of control. That would work here and should be offered as an option to enable, not a mandatory on or off. People like choice :)

HeeseyChelmet
27-05-2015, 16:11

dont race with him

If SMS decide to make a no contact option, It'll never get a look in for me

MiZtErNiCe
27-05-2015, 16:54
dont see why an on/off function for non contact would ruin the game for people. or SMS could just let the host kick out the culprits who go into lobbies just to annoy people.

apexatspeed
27-05-2015, 17:22
Always run Full Damage lobbies, that'll will eliminate most of the bumper cars kids and crashers. But you'll still have contacts and occasional push-offs because it's a video game and people take more chances and risks than they would in real life racing when their life depends on their driving style.

People keep saying this, but I find it to be the exact opposite. I run no damage lobbies so when a troll smashes you off the track into a wall you don't lose a wheel. Every time I do a race with damage there is some asshole in there destroying people. Your race can still be saved if damage is off.

I don't see the problem with an OPTION for non contact racing. If you don't want it you don't have to join or create those lobbies.

FoxMulder
27-05-2015, 17:43
I agree with you mate, the more options the better.

Cuba
27-05-2015, 18:05
There are only six of us, so banning anyone is not an option, especially when they see no wrong in their driving.

Sounds like there should only be 5 in your group

Diablo944
27-05-2015, 19:16
I am not asking to have a forced rule for all gaming enforced on every game owner. Just pointing out that there is a situation out here that would benefit from being able to use a ghost 'option'. As in, when required. The fact that after ten races he is now leading means in his eyes he is the best player. While thanks to my pretty much having given up, i am the worst in our championship (shit though its turned out). So to reiterate, a ghost option would be nice. Nobody else is invited into this private lobby, so those who feel its going to ruin their game are confusing the hell out of me. Its no different than limiting views to interior, or forcing manual gears (i run manual anyway). Similarly, i would love to be able to make a session where nobody had the racing line visible. That way it would limit the line chasing mentality and make them drive by line of sight and learn the tracks. I am far from the worst player in our group. But i am the most disadvantaged being the only interior view, no racing line, manual gearbox player, so every time one of the need for speeders screws up i suffer for it. Getting the car out of the wall and moving again seems to take an age in manual mode, so actually having the option to remove knobhead driving techniques when in a private lobby would create a level playing field that did not gift the knobhead rules drivers a win. I am not saying we would stick with it, but its better than the frustration caused as things are. So the word option, is just that, an option, a nice little tickbox in the setup, traction control on/off, stability control on/off, abs on/off, weather slots set, laps set, simultaneous lap time mode on/off. Basically a way for friends to race without any disadvantage of collision from others. That way i might actually find out if the three hundred quid i spent on the wheel was worth it, rather than having the others in the group take the piss about how shit i am doing with it.