PDA

View Full Version : Telemetry varying between "Free Practice" & "Time Trial"?

Ripgroove
26-05-2015, 17:26
So just spent around 2hrs tuning the Formula Rookie at Catalunya National, in Free Practice after between 5 & 10 laps all my tyre temps were hovering around 200F (Inner/Middle/Outter - Front & Rear), so far so good. But when I started a Time Trial at the same track with the same setup after 1 or 2 laps my tyres looked like this:

Front left = 213F
Front right = 217F
Rear left = 203F
Rear right = 205F

I know in Free Practice that whenever you leave the pits your tyres are cold again (which is really annoying) which is why I only check temps after at the very least 5 laps.

So any idea what is going on? Surely 5-10 laps is enough to fully warm the tyres in testing?

Ripgroove
26-05-2015, 17:35
Could it be that I chose a target of 200F when tuning but when starting a TT the tyre warmers have heated the tyres to 210F, and as I start racing what I'm seeing is the temps slowly coming down unevenly? I'm just guessing here so I dunno.

g33k hack3rs
26-05-2015, 20:04
The biggest factor that could influence this is weight. Look at your fuel during free practice. Many cars will by default add 100l of fuel. During time trial the fuel load is automatically set to 5l only. This could significantly influence the weight and therefor influence the tire temps. Other factors include weather conditions. Not sure if it's currently implemented but I think the intent is to have time trial always at 11 am with clear conditions. Make sure your free practice is using similar settings to limit changes due to track temps. Just my thoughts as I'm no expert on all conditions that will factor into tire temps.

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 20:28
So just spent around 2hrs tuning the Formula Rookie at Catalunya National, in Free Practice after between 5 & 10 laps all my tyre temps were hovering around 200F (Inner/Middle/Outter - Front & Rear), so far so good. But when I started a Time Trial at the same track with the same setup after 1 or 2 laps my tyres looked like this:

Front left = 213F
Front right = 217F
Rear left = 203F
Rear right = 205F

I know in Free Practice that whenever you leave the pits your tyres are cold again (which is really annoying) which is why I only check temps after at the very least 5 laps.

So any idea what is going on? Surely 5-10 laps is enough to fully warm the tyres in testing?

Had the same thing with the G4 Aston V8, turned out that as I got used to the track I was pushing harder, and got faster.
Unless your car starts to lose time, don't think it's much to be concerned about, maybe keep an eye on it, just in case.

Ripgroove
26-05-2015, 20:43
I know the track very well and I'm very consistent on it so don't think its that, however I hadn't considered the fuel load! I'll have to start the tuning process in free practice with the same fuel load as you get in the TT (5L I think), thanks for pointing that out.

Siberian Tiger
26-05-2015, 20:45
Also TimeTrial has more Rubber laid on Track allready, in Free Practice you are on a Green Track ;)

Ripgroove
26-05-2015, 21:07
Jeez, how are we supposed to tune these cars with so many variables then, surely we should have tuning access in the pits during Time Trials?

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 21:22
Jeez, how are we supposed to tune these cars with so many variables then, surely we should have tuning access in the pits during Time Trials?
That is a very good point, if the tracks changed and we can't re tune, surely it's to be added to the fix list?

wearymick
26-05-2015, 22:51
Been caught out by this too. Tuning for cold tyres in free practice and then finding the handling transformed with warm tyres in TT. Quite hard to tune that way. Now I tune by dropping in and out of TT mode, adjusting the car to run on the L1-2 optimal tyres. Pretty clumsy, but needs must the way things are atm.

DUST2DEATH
26-05-2015, 23:04
That is a very good point, if the tracks changed and we can't re tune, surely it's to be added to the fix list?

no.

Tune for the track, drive for the conditions.

Worm
26-05-2015, 23:37
If you know it is going to rain or it is going to be cold you would tune for those conditions as that is a drastic change. Real race teams don't tune for a track and just show up telling their driver tough crap, drive around it.

Spirit X
26-05-2015, 23:53
Pointlessly needing to exit tt just to retune and then load it up again is a pita. I think it should definitely be added to the list.

Sp4mD4gger
27-05-2015, 00:51
Fair enough, computer says "no", so we are stuck with it.

Ripgroove
27-05-2015, 06:50
no.

Tune for the track, drive for the conditions.

That's not really the issue, I did "tune for the track", I tuned the car in free practice on a dry track in clear weather always checking tyre temps after at least 5-10 laps after making any adjustments. The conditions I tuned in were the same as what the TT conditions should have been. If what was said above is true though about more/less rubber being on the track then that's impossible to tune for. The one thing I did miss was fuel load I'm hoping that will account for the differences in tyre temps that I was seeing between tuning in free practice and racing in TT.

Bealdor
27-05-2015, 06:56
That's not really the issue, I did "tune for the track", I tuned the car in free practice on a dry track in clear weather always checking tyre temps after at least 5-10 laps after making any adjustments. The conditions I tuned in were the same as what the TT conditions should have been. If what was said above is true though about more/less rubber being on the track then that's impossible to tune for. The one thing I did miss was fuel load I'm hoping that will account for the differences in tyre temps that I was seeing between tuning in free practice and racing in TT.

I think (just like the tiger said) that different track conditions are the reason. More rubber on the track leads to higher corner speeds which increase tire temperatures.

Ripgroove
27-05-2015, 07:02
I think (just like the tiger said) that different track conditions are the reason. More rubber on the track leads to higher corner speeds which increase tire temperatures.

Yes well if that's true then it's impossible to accurately replicate TT conditions in Free Practice, which makes it impossible to tune for with constantly having to quit Free Practice and go in to TT after every adjustment. Access to the tuning menu during TT Pits would be the answer, this would allow us to tune the car at a TT in the correct onditions.

jake92
27-05-2015, 08:04
Time Trial has low fuel load, pre-warmed tyres and a rubbered track.

After 1-3 laps, the tyre temperatures should be down to normal practice temperatures. They start pretty hot. My Ruf GT3 starts at 99 C at the start of time trial, and i normally aim for 85-95 in all other sessions.