PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheels

PHIBALNATION
26-05-2015, 17:27
Not looking to purchase a wheel for $400, was looking at the thrustmaster 458 spider for $90. Anybody have any experience with this wheel?

really
26-05-2015, 17:34
Warning there's no force feedback

Loochst3r
26-05-2015, 17:39
But.... If FFB doesn't matter to you personally, then it's a very good wheel for the price.

It's really just down to if you mind not having FFB.

damanfra
26-05-2015, 17:55
I bought an TM 458 Spider wheel yesterday, and after a few hours struggling to get the best settings, the game is much more fun now.
At first was a little bit strange without any feedback, you can feel the difference if you came from an Xbox One controller like me. But after a few laps you totally get into the game. I really recommend it.

skijumptoes
26-05-2015, 18:18
It's your only option mate, unless you want to spend more $$$ - go with it if you want a wheel - just make sure you have somewhere to put it, i got a wheel stand pro with mine and they are well worth the money!

GRTfast
26-05-2015, 18:50
IMHO it's worth it to put out the extra $$$ for FFB. It makes the immersion so much deeper.

cliffter88
26-05-2015, 19:53
The wheel is great for the money. Although it doesn't have force feedback it does have a bungie system (basicly this replicates ffb) it works very well and gives you a good feel for the track.

Haiden
26-05-2015, 21:36
I bought that one, and then a few weeks later bought a TX. The wheel is decent, but the lack of force feedback, means you get precision steering, but even less feedback than the controller. I liked the wheel, but didn't like driving with no input from the tyres or track. Sound will be your only indicator of impending traction loss.

The Spider does have a bungie system, but that only returns the wheel to center position. It's not the same as FFB, nor an adequate replication of it. If you can afford the TX, get it. Otherwise, the Spider will give you more precision than a controller. I liked it, it just made me want more. :)

HenTheKing
26-05-2015, 23:48
I bought one the other day, super simple to set up and has enabled me to finally be competitive in all aspects of the game. With a controller I was struggling to get round the tracks at all, MP was pointless as everything is a bit faster and time trialling was just a dream!

Honestly, having played with it all week, I would/could never go back to a controller, it's made the game playable for me. However, I can also see how FFB would improve it, braking especially, I often lose control braking hard in a straight line and can't recover because I can't tell what's happening. Overall, it's worth it. TL;DR - buy it.

Rockefelluh
27-05-2015, 00:47
Search pleeassseeeeeeeee. Ahhhhh

INoTroN
27-05-2015, 00:54
I have the 458 spider its an awesome wheel for 90$ its very good
And 400$ for force feedback lol no thx
For 400$ you have a ps4 or an xbox one

turbohondaej1
27-05-2015, 01:56
I have the 458 spider its an awesome wheel for 90$ its very good
And 400$ for force feedback lol no thx
For 400$ you have a ps4 or an xbox one

Imho spend the extra 200 bux and get the tx. Otherwise you might as well play with a controller. Microcenter has them for like 290 shipped but like 5-7 day shipping time frame. If I had bought that other wheel I would seriously have been disappointed and bought the tx later. But if this is a game or generally don't play racing games often enough to justify the tx then don't get it. Ffb wheels are night and day difference until you experience one you have no idea what your missing.

INoTroN
27-05-2015, 02:00
Imho spend the extra 200 bux and get the tx. Otherwise you might as well play with a controller. Microcenter has them for like 290 shipped but like 5-7 day shipping time frame. If I had bought that other wheel I would seriously have been disappointed and bought the tx later. But if this is a game or generally don't play racing games often enough to justify the tx then don't get it. Ffb wheels are night and day difference until you experience one you have no idea what your missing.

Im happy with my 458 spider thx,
With your 200$ more i buy other game not a ffb wheel.

turbohondaej1
27-05-2015, 02:22
Im happy with my 458 spider thx,
With your 200$ more i buy other game not a ffb wheel.

Ya and when I was a kid I was happy with an nes controller to play games with because that was what I had. I'm just saying it's a huge difference between them. If I wasn't into racing games I would never have bought one. It's a product that is only for certain individuals. if you don't primarily play racing games don't get it unless you have the money. Otherwise save your money and get one. For the enjoyment of the ffb wheel for me was way worth the cost. Others will not be in that category.

PHIBALNATION
27-05-2015, 02:34
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still up in the air on which to get. If anyone still has a opinion on one or the other please reply and tell me how you feel about them. Probably make my purchase by this weekend.

INoTroN
27-05-2015, 02:34
Ya and when I was a kid I was happy with an nes controller to play games with because that was what I had. I'm just saying it's a huge difference between them. If I wasn't into racing games I would never have bought one. It's a product that is only for certain individuals. if you don't primarily play racing games don't get it unless you have the money. Otherwise save your money and get one. For the enjoyment of the ffb wheel for me was way worth the cost. Others will not be in that category.

Lol i make what i want i put the 200$ more in my real car than in a toy for playing game dude because the tx at 400$ its a toy too dude
i m happy with my 458 spider i dont need and i dont want a tx

SN1P3R SK33T
27-05-2015, 19:45
If you can afford it, go for the TX, it's 10x the wheel the spider is and has numerous upgrade options. Don't get me wrong, the spider is a great wheel, but the TX is so much more immersive. I have both (well my son has the spider).

Put it this way:

The spider is like an inflatable doll, whereas the TX is more you're classy hooker. They're both fun, but the hookers going to give you a much better time.

(On the same scale, the Hori is a box of tissues and the MadCatz is more your street corner hooker. The Pad is around the dinner date only service)

:p

sublime1996525
27-05-2015, 20:53
If you can afford it, go for the TX, it's 10x the wheel the spider is and has numerous upgrade options. Don't get me wrong, the spider is a great wheel, but the TX is so much more immersive. I have both (well my son has the spider).

Put it this way:

The spider is like an inflatable doll, whereas the TX is more you're classy hooker. They're both fun, but the hookers going to give you a much better time.

(On the same scale, the Hori is a box of tissues and the MadCatz is more your street corner hooker. The Pad is around the dinner date only service)

:p
Very true! At least the hooker doesn't just lay there..

Outlier
27-05-2015, 20:57
funny analogy sn1p3r.

I also say get the TX. I don't have either personally but coming from someone who has used FFB wheels and non FFB wheels, FFB is a major difference.

I understand that the Spider wheel is pretty darn good for non FFB and that it's allowing racers to drive faster than their controller times, but I'm wondering if this will change when this patch hits tonight. Once the controller works as it should, will the non FFB wheel provide the same advantage? Perhaps wait and find out?

Dynomight Motorsports
27-05-2015, 21:52
I bought my TX on Ebay for $205, yeah for real, So I sprung for the 1 yr warranty for just $40 more dollars. It was worth it. I could have moved over the PS4 with my Fanatec CSR, but I liked my friends on Xbox and the Thrustmaster was a very good wheel. Once you go Wheel, you will never go back to Controller. Get the Spider, you will love the precision of the wheel and control. Then when you're ready step up to the TX and you won't be disappointed.

LordDRIFT
27-05-2015, 23:23
The game is ass without FFB - you just wont know it.

INoTroN
28-05-2015, 01:22
The game is ass without FFB - you just wont know it.

Lol the game is good with or without ffb dude

Nickname85
28-05-2015, 16:01
@initron
Dude...you are one a gaming forum and you are saying to people that they shouldnt spend money on a toy, but on a real car? What are u doing here u r way to cool for this.

jonnotheone
28-05-2015, 16:10
I have one with no ffb but I have a rumble chair much better experience as I feel it all under my bum lol...but the 458 spider is good value for money...

Luke Townsend
28-05-2015, 16:28
If you can afford it, go for the TX. Force feedback utterly transforms this game - There's nothing like feeling the car getting loose and correcting it! :)

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 03:20
Lol the game is good with or without ffb dude

Its all relative. But it's better with FFB. That's a fact.

Leroy Funkdafied
29-05-2015, 04:00
I bought the 458 Spider wheel two weeks ago. My first wheel ever. I don't need FFB and for the money it's awesome. I haven't gotten it to work well on Forza 5 yet but on PCars it's amazing.

SPXUMADBROYOLO
29-05-2015, 06:20
Not looking to purchase a wheel for $400, was looking at the thrustmaster 458 spider for $90. Anybody have any experience with this wheel?

Works amazingly just got 4th on the leaderboards on Imola in the dtm Mercedes-Benz coupe.