PDA

View Full Version : Overtaking online

gbm
26-05-2015, 18:11
Ok so I need some info here. I was just reading up on "overtaking rules" on Wiki and the Formula 1 website in order to better understand the rules behind this.

I feel like I might be victim of some poor online etiquette however. :/

If someone is creeping up behind me, and we are approaching a corner, is it OK to intentionally move over a bit to prevent him from overtaking?

Same with straightaways. Can I intentionally move over a lane in an attempt to block them?

Sorry if I did this to anyone. lol

Srt8 300c
26-05-2015, 18:19
Approaching a bend you can fully defend the racing line(eg defend an overtake) not veer left and right constantly.

R.e the straight,you are not allowed to veer left and right to prevent an overtake. (Eg someone has better exit speed, its polite to allow them to overtake)

I dont think this game awards driver penaltys for holding people up intentionally on the straights.

Mahjik
26-05-2015, 18:21
Same with straightaways. Can I intentionally move over a lane in an attempt to block them?

Most racing organizations allow for one defensive move. i.e. zig zagging is against the rules typically. So if your only move was to turn-in early (and the car was not 50-60% along side), then that is usually a legal defensive move.

OperatorWay
26-05-2015, 21:10
http://www.fia.com/regulations

"2015 F1 Sporting Regulations - Published on 26.02.15...

...20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.

For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

20.6 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity..."

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

"Club Codes & Regulations...

...25.4 Rules for Overtaking

25.4.1 Passing General

The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car's (Car A) front bumper overlaps with the lead car's (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when Car A's rear bumper is ahead of Car B's front bumper...

...25.4.3 Right to the Line

The driver in front has the right to choose any line, as long as they are not considered to be blocking. The driver in front loses the right to choose his or her line when the overtaking driver has their front wheel next to the driver...

25.4.4 Blocking

A driver may choose to protect his or her line so long as it is not considered blocking. Blocking is defined as two (2) consecutive line changes to 'protect his/her line,' and in doing so, impedes the vehicle that is trying to pass with each of the two (2) consecutive movements..."

LordDRIFT
26-05-2015, 21:15
Great topic.

apexatspeed
26-05-2015, 23:28
I am pretty sure most racing leagues allow one move to defend. So if the person is on a straight you can move once to block them. That is why if you watch F1 you will sometimes see drivers in the rear fake the direction then go and pull up the opposite side. Now the key thing is the person has to be completely behind you. I can't pull over to block if he is next to me.

JimStick1
26-05-2015, 23:39
iRacing has a heap of these types of discussions too. As far as I see it, as long as the driver in front doesn't make any blocking moves in reaction to the driver behind, its fine. Basically, the driver in front has to make the first move for it to be counted as a defensive move, otherwise I'd call it as blocking. Secondly, it's the responsibility of the following car to complete the pass without incident. That's not to say the driver being overtaken isn't responsible for holding their line if they are being overtaken, rather that the car overtaking needs to be able to get the car stopped safely without causing harm to the car being overtaken.

Jesse Fahrenkrog
27-05-2015, 01:10
I'd say a lot of it depends on trust too. If it's someone you race with often you may be more likely to block them.(legally of course) Myself personally though, if it's in a public server and they either reeled me in, or have been following me, I'll give up the line. It's often a 1 or 10 position decision. A third scenario involves someone driving "like a dart without feathers," I like to call it. If you know you're going to get divebombed, simply give them the lane and watch them run off course a turn or two later. Just be ready for them to do so and make sure they don't hit you when they immediately pull into the driving line.