PDA

View Full Version : will microsoft put dedicated servers on

titanic tony
26-05-2015, 18:29
if not will sms do it if they can other wise you will never get have a clean room over 8 people { lag free }
this needs to be done before any more content or who will bye it just the people who play single player

Bryer
26-05-2015, 18:37
I think you under estimate the amount of work that has to go into building dedicated server programs. It's not an easy task to do, as far as I'm aware this is more of a P2P bandwidth issue, when the game assigns a host with poor upload to host the race.

I believe that SMS have stated they are working on it with Bandai USA as the majority of issues seem to be from the USA, however they acknowledge it's across all territories.

Outlaw Peet
26-05-2015, 18:56
I think you under estimate the amount of work that has to go into building dedicated server programs. It's not an easy task to do, as far as I'm aware this is more of a P2P bandwidth issue, when the game assigns a host with poor upload to host the race.

I believe that SMS have stated they are working on it with Bandai USA as the majority of issues seem to be from the USA, however they acknowledge it's across all territories.

Maybe you are right. I have a very good connection whenever i host i never experience any issues. Fyi my upload speed is 12 Megabit

Snowowl
26-05-2015, 19:50
Servers are important, however, when you have Internet connections from all over the world it really is a modern miracle we've got such good participation in the first place. Dedicated servers cannot account for each of our individual connections, and the possibility of lag from Point A to Point B.

Even whatever your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has sold you as "speed" is only guaranteed for 80% of what they've quoted - and that is from your own networking hardware (modem, router or gateway device) through your wall connection to their closest Central Office boards.

Beyond that, even the major ISPs cannot predict or guarantee anything because our connections go through DNS servers, transfer among backbone centers, etc. before routing to wherever the game servers exist.

titanic tony
26-05-2015, 19:55
yes but what I mean is someone trying to host 16 players with a 2meg connection

Bryer
26-05-2015, 19:58
Servers are important, however, when you have Internet connections from all over the world it really is a modern miracle we've got such good participation in the first place. Dedicated servers cannot account for each of our individual connections, and the possibility of lag from Point A to Point B.

Even whatever your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has sold you as "speed" is only guaranteed for 80% of what they've quoted - and that is from your own networking hardware (modem, router or gateway device) through your wall connection to their closest Central Office boards.

Beyond that, even the major ISPs cannot predict or guarantee anything because our connections go through DNS servers, transfer among backbone centers, etc. before routing to wherever the game servers exist.

This is something that Xbox Live is supposed to ease with the game finding the best host before starting the game.

yes but what I mean is someone trying to host 16 players with a 2meg connection

Yeah, I think the devs have already stated they need to "clean up" the lobbies and netcode a bit on the Xbox One.

Snowowl
26-05-2015, 20:02
You still are relying on 16 players with likely 16 different Internet Service Providers running different variants of speed and quality of service. It is NOT just the "server" but the methods people use to arrive at the destination. We don't have a direct pipeline for everyone to the meeting place, and never will have unless we're all the in the same room, wired with connections to a single server.

It just isn't going to happen. You're on a PC, I'm on an Xbox One, and architecture is already different. Having 16 people in the same race may be three-quarters running wired to their ISP hardware and the others might be wireless to that connection. Wireless has built-in overhead, and then you get a couple people who are trying to run with a wireless Internet provider (oh, gee, 4G!) or satellite connections where that's all they can obtain, and you've got more lag built in.

Just one person with a high latency or ping rate, or having 18 hops through three different Internet providers (backbones), can through the whole session into chaos with lag.

Rabid Machina
26-05-2015, 20:29
I personally like having some control over a lobby. Matchmaking lobbies like that of FM5 made playing online not very enjoyable, and lag was just as bad there.

titanic tony
26-05-2015, 20:41
im sure they could do something upon trying to join if your connection isn't good enough you cant get in
other games do it

Srt8 300c
26-05-2015, 20:48
Maybe if they implemented 'rent a server'
Similar to BF4 System???
Not sure if people would be willing to pay for such a feature to host. Although if things like connection to a nation eg UK only or US East coast (region based)with sold ping etc were added it might smooth things out a little and let people not to far apart enjoy a better experience and play locally online with randoms......

Tekkart
26-05-2015, 21:52
I noticed that P'cars uses over 800kb upload speed and its full used(can see it in my router) My upload is 825kb(network stats from my X1). Forza5 need only less than 300kb all the time. Maybe its a problem for some gamers with a low bandwidth...

turbohondaej1
26-05-2015, 23:32
I noticed that P'cars uses over 800kb upload speed and its full used(can see it in my router) My upload is 825kb(network stats from my X1). Forza5 need only less than 300kb all the time. Maybe its a problem for some gamers with a low bandwidth...

Are you hosting or just playing that seems like a lot of upload speed?

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 23:47

Pcars uses more bandwidth because it is transmitting more info back and forth (meaning its keeping more things in sync between client and host).

turbohondaej1
27-05-2015, 02:04
Pcars uses more bandwidth because it is transmitting more info back and forth (meaning its keeping more things in sync between client and host).

So your telling me that in two hours I'm uploading close to 6 gigs of data? That seems really high to me there is no way most people in the us have that kinda speed. No wonder I seem to have issues with it. I wonder how much I'm downloading if I'm uploading that much.

CPU M Rossi
27-05-2015, 02:15
So your telling me that in two hours I'm uploading close to 6 gigs of data? That seems really high to me there is no way most people in the us have that kinda speed. No wonder I seem to have issues with it. I wonder how much I'm downloading if I'm uploading that much.
that is more like 720mb

turbohondaej1
27-05-2015, 02:28
that is more like 720mb

800 kilo bytes a second 800 x 60 (seconds in a minute) = 48,000 120 (minutes in 2 hours) = 5,760,000

That is 5.7 gigs almost 6 gigs

CPU M Rossi
27-05-2015, 03:26
800 kilo bytes a second 800 x 60 (seconds in a minute) = 48,000 120 (minutes in 2 hours) = 5,760,000

That is 5.7 gigs almost 6 gigs

I am pretty sure its bits not bytes because if the game was sending out about 3 gigabytes of data an hour most people wouldn't be able to play online with out a lag fest
and i have played this game online mostly fine and there is no way in hell my internet connection would come close to sending out that much data so I stand by the fact i am pretty sure its more like 720mb not almost 6 gigs.

madmax2069
27-05-2015, 03:29
I am pretty sure its bits not bytes because if the game was sending out about 3 gigabytes of data an hour most people wouldn't be able to play online with out a lag fest
and i have played this game online mostly fine and there is no way in hell my internet connection would come close to sending out that much data so I stand by the fact i am pretty sure its more like 720mb not almost 6 gigs.

Indeed, bits not bytes.

Many people confuse bits and bytes. kb = kilobits, KB = kilobytes, Mb = Megabits, MB Megabytes, I can see how it would get confusing.

turbohondaej1
27-05-2015, 04:59
Indeed, bits not bytes.

Many people confuse bits and bytes. kb = kilobits, KB = kilobytes, Mb = Megabits, MB Megabytes, I can see how it would get confusing.

Good that makes more sense then.

Tekkart
27-05-2015, 11:09
Are you hosting or just playing that seems like a lot of upload speed?

Just playing... As i sayed my max upload is 825kb its full used as player and host... With European player no lags, with player from overseas it's sometimes tricky... But still better than f.....forza.. ��