PDA

View Full Version : Weather and time progression

Zenzic
26-05-2015, 19:37
I've searched google and this forum, but couldn't find any conclusive answers to these questions: what is the unit of the weather progression slider? Do the time and weather progression sliders affect each other in any way?

Say I want to have a 24 hours race. I could set the time progression to x20, which would mean I have to race 72 minutes to have a full day-night cycle. What value would I have to set the weather progression to to cycle through the four weather slots once during those 72 minutes, at a speed of six in-game hours each?

Thank you!

N0body Of The Goat
26-05-2015, 21:42
A standard weather slot is ~60mins, so for a 72min race with 4 slots, you would want x5... I think. ;)

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 21:47
A standard weather slot is ~60mins, so for a 72min race with 4 slots, you would want x5... I think. ;)

Or "Sync to race". ;)

Zenzic
26-05-2015, 21:49
Sync to race is not available in the PS4 version, unfortunately. :)

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 21:53
Sorry, I overread you're on PS4.

Could you do me a favour and go to "Control Center" -> "Edit Profile" and set your platform at the bottom of this page to PS4? Thanks. :)

Zenzic
27-05-2015, 21:18
Update:

I set up a lobby and let it run to see how the weather would progress. Weather seemed to change every half an hour with weather progression set to x2. I then set up another lobby, this time with 90 min practice and only 1 lap for the actual race. During practice the first slot only lasted 10 min and the second slot lasted 50 min.

Since I only did two tests so far I'm not sure whether my first test was just lucky, or whether weather progression during practice is unreliable.

Yorkie065
27-05-2015, 21:25
Update:

I set up a lobby and let it run to see how the weather would progress. Weather seemed to change every half an hour with weather progression set to x2. I then set up another lobby, this time with 90 min practice and only 1 lap for the actual race. During practice the first slot only lasted 10 min and the second slot lasted 50 min.

Since I only did two tests so far I'm not sure whether my first test was just lucky, or whether weather progression during practice is unreliable.

What were the actual weather choices you had set as the speed it appears to transition could be different? For instance going from one extreme to another, say clear to thunderstorm, could appear to transition quicker than something more similar, like clear to medium cloud.

Zenzic
27-05-2015, 21:30
For the first lobby, where I parked the car off the side of the road during a race, I had three slots: heavy fog, clear and light rain. I could see the transitions quite clearly, each time over the course of a few minutes. Weather progression was set to x2. For the second lobby I had selected clear, light rain and clear again. Weather progression was set to x2, so the 50 min of rain during practice was rather unexpected.

You could be right though. It might even be a case of the game purposely varying a little with how long it mixes two slots, just to make weather transitions feel more unique. I'll test some more over the coming days.

Bealdor
27-05-2015, 21:38
The weather system has variations built in the transitions so you don't always have the exact same durations for every weather slot.

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 21:39
i was curious about this the other day but never did any tests.

im looking forward to hearing how it works out.

Zenzic
27-05-2015, 21:39
Variations in the transition times. I can appreciate that! :)

Yorkie065
27-05-2015, 21:44
For the first lobby, where I parked the car off the side of the road during a race, I had three slots: heavy fog, clear and light rain. I could see the transitions quite clearly, each time over the course of a few minutes. Weather progression was set to x2. For the second lobby I had selected clear, light rain and clear again. Weather progression was set to x2, so the 50 min of rain during practice was rather unexpected.

You could be right though. It might even be a case of the game purposely varying a little with how long it mixes two slots, just to make weather transitions feel more unique. I'll test some more over the coming days.

Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying that and I also think you're right in the variation between the transitions of each slot as it takes ~60mins for the transition to happen at 1x speed, but as far as I know there isn't a set time as to how long it stays on that specific weather setting. So if to say you ran the same settings twice (the second lobby you ran minus the clear at the end; so from clear - light rain), it could stay dry for 10mins and then slowly progress into light rain for the first test. Then the second test stay dry for 30mins but have a quicker transition into the light rain. Will be cool to see what you come back with after some tests :D

Edit: Ninja'd

Zenzic
28-05-2015, 21:32
Well, I ran another test tonight, again with 30 min qualifying and 10 laps race. Slots were clear - thunderstorm - clear - thunderstorm, in that order. Weather progression was set to x2, time progression to x20. I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the weather system in the game!

Here's the log of the weather changes. You'll see that each slot took up about half an hour, with transitions nicely bridging the two slots. The duration of transitions does indeed seem variable, which I think adds a great element of unpredictability, even with preset slots.

Qualifying
00:00 to 18:00: clear
18:00 to 30:00: intermediate rain

Race
00:00 to 27:00: heavy rain
27:00 to 30:00: light rain
30:00 to 38:00: very light rain
38:00 to 55:00: clear
55:00 to 63:00: intermediate rain
63:00 to 80:00: heavy rain

Harmoniser
27-07-2015, 12:41
I've asked this on another thread but didn't get a response. But in your tests are you seeing a drying line?

I haven't seen one yet but that might be because the transitions are to fast. The lack of a drying line is a bit worrying as it means the cars have no effect on track. Grand Prix 4 over 14 years ago had this in their wet weather simulation and it was pretty amazing in races. Although GP4 may have fudged it by have the same drying line whatever the cars where actually doing.

Also it would allow more tactics in using the wet line to cool down intermediates or wets, when your're on the tipping of staying out and staying in.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Umer Ahmad
27-07-2015, 13:31
I believe there is a physically modeled dry line but the visual part does not do it justice, something Ian would like to improve.

N0body Of The Goat
27-07-2015, 13:51
I don't know if this still applies, but during development, I could have sworn that the "racing line" section of track dries quicker and so has more grip. But without the aid turned on, it is very difficult to spot visually.

Dutchmountains
27-07-2015, 16:24
I've searched google and this forum, but couldn't find any conclusive answers to these questions: what is the unit of the weather progression slider? Do the time and weather progression sliders affect each other in any way?

Say I want to have a 24 hours race. I could set the time progression to x20, which would mean I have to race 72 minutes to have a full day-night cycle. What value would I have to set the weather progression to to cycle through the four weather slots once during those 72 minutes, at a speed of six in-game hours each?

Thank you!

I did several tests.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35921-Time-scales-weather-slots