PDA

View Full Version : G40 Junior gt5 slick tires?

CPU M Rossi
26-05-2015, 22:32
it calls them GT5 slick tires but the have a tread pattern just like what the game says is the GT5 rain tire.
Also tested both slicks & rain tires at Lemans and the rain tire out performed the slick tire slightly. (in dry conditions)
not to mention the picture of the G40 Junior looks to have racing slicks.
so what is up with the G40 Juniors tires?

Doug914
26-05-2015, 22:51
It has slicks and it has rain tires. The rain tire , if used in the dry, will be a bit faster the first lap, Maybe two. But then should overheat. I've just re-adjusted the G40 to make sure the rain tire will over heat when used in the dry (also done across the board if needed). It was a little to cool in release version. Will be in a future patch.

Thats the physics of it. I don't know about the textures used.

CPU M Rossi
27-05-2015, 01:11
ty for the info Doug914

JDFSSS
27-05-2015, 05:38
It has slicks and it has rain tires. The rain tire , if used in the dry, will be a bit faster the first lap, Maybe two. But then should overheat. I've just re-adjusted the G40 to make sure the rain tire will over heat when used in the dry (also done across the board if needed). It was a little to cool in release version. Will be in a future patch.

Thats the physics of it. I don't know about the textures used.

Should a rain tire ever be quicker than a slick tire in dry conditions though? If it is then it seems like racing teams in real life would use a rain tire to qualify on, but I've never heard of this happening. I thought a rain tire would always be slower in the dry because the grooves in the tire essentially makes the contact patch smaller.

could_do_better
27-05-2015, 06:49
Rain tires are even softer than soft slicks, which is why they overheat so quickly. There are several threads around discussing this quit extensively. Perhaps regulations prohibit qualifying on wets in the dry?

FarChri
27-05-2015, 07:19
I don't know if any real raceseries are ussing qualifiers too at the moment - which were even softer then normal soft tires. But of course, overheating should be the main problem with wets in dry.

JDFSSS
27-05-2015, 07:38
Rain tires are even softer than soft slicks, which is why they overheat so quickly. There are several threads around discussing this quit extensively. Perhaps regulations prohibit qualifying on wets in the dry?

I know they are softer, but I thought they would still be slower over a single lap due to smaller contact patch, overheating and rapid tire wear. Are you aware of any situations in real life where a rain tire was faster in dry conditions than a dry tire?

Doug914
27-05-2015, 16:45
Yes. For one lap. But it's hit or miss in the real world. When i ran SCCA in the 80's some of the competitors would qual on rain tires in the lower classes. I never saw the point or the reason to expend the extra money and usually they were only about the same as a slick for that one lap. I believe it's mostly not allowed now-a-days for saftey reasons of blowing/chunking a tire at speed.