PDA

View Full Version : Rear view mirror - Shazzam!

daddyboosive
27-05-2015, 07:11
Has anyone noticed that you can't see a cars in your rear view if they're 100m or more behind you? I noticed it last night. I'd look behind me and see someone. Then a few seconds later I'd check the rear view to see where they were and they had disappeared. But they were showing on the track map. This game is mental lol. I use bonet cam so I'm not sure if happens on the other camera views.

Sankyo
27-05-2015, 07:16
That's something to reduce the load on the rendering engine. However, IIRC this mirror rendering distance is something that can be adjusted? Could be mistaken, though.

MysterG
27-05-2015, 07:17
The draw distance in the rear view mirror is lower than the front view for performance reasons.

daddyboosive
27-05-2015, 08:15
Lol a bit poor thar though isn't it. I started to ease off thinking I had a decent gap in front of second. To then release they're fairly close.

Diablo944
27-05-2015, 13:28
The irony in the rear view mirror is almost funny. Its a simulator, except for the mirror which is a game mirror. You cant trust the mirror to show what you need or want it to show so you end up disregarding it, by the time you should have looked in the mirror already the car you are about to get hit by has already arrived :-) having seen games ruined in the past by a lack of mirror implementation, i am at least glad to have some functionality there. Though one particular view (that i dont use) did seem to have a big mirror option that showed the crap draw distance of the mirror way too clearly.

TheLethalDose
27-05-2015, 13:38
I've found it helps with the shoddy rear draw distance if I pretend the cars, trees and the ground disappearing behind me in the mirror is an alien spacecraft trying to incinerate me with its laser cannons as I'm desperately trying to escape its grasp.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 13:43
The mirror is your second screen WTF I noticed it the other day, I thought the car had gone to the side but was right behind when I made a mistake. Come ON developers it don't have to be so accurate but I want to see tiny specs in my mirrors, I don't like to waste my time looking only to find myself crashing into them because they've made good headway and crept up on me!!! They are very very important in Lmp.
Can someone add it to the suggestion thread, its only managing a bunch of pixels you wouldn't have to use polygons at that distance. Using the mirror builds the games excitment and its been crippled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Classic gamer overreaction)

Franco Ferrari
27-05-2015, 13:43
I've found it helps with the shoddy rear draw distance if I pretend the cars, trees and the ground disappearing behind me in the mirror is an alien spacecraft trying to incinerate me with its laser cannons as I'm desperately trying to escape its grasp.

Yeah.... I used to think a lot of things like that when I was a kid. Which means... basically... up to this very moment.

Anyway, I'd pass over the short drawing distance if only.... I COULD SEE the damned headlights in the mirrors during the night! :mad:
Which means that we need the headlight flares to be rendered in the mirrors too.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 13:59
Oh I see, being lazy now. Just some shadow interpretation that is already stored for rendering is all we ask, with a shrunk low res version of the car behind, that carries along with the livery data file. Could add a bit of pre race load time, but at the moment its fairly fast! I dunno, you just can't get the staff lol you know I don't mean it.:)

Diablo944
27-05-2015, 14:14

Its not an alien spacecraft, its the langoliers

MysterG
27-05-2015, 14:29
Its not an alien spacecraft, its the langoliers

Damn you. It's taken years for me to wipe the memory of that film from my mind. Now I've got to start over :(

lordymatsuo
27-05-2015, 15:39
I have seen a few threads like this and the "Shazzam!" title just got me in a fit of laughter.

In all honesty though guys, most of us know it's for performance but when that performance hinders the gameplay surly the line has been crossed. I'd rather have less resolution, less shaders and shadows, less arty farty stuff, just give me a good draw distance front and rear to get rid of this horrible popping of objects in the rear view and the drawing of shadows / details in front of me.

PC players are also reporting this issue, some are saying it's better on ULTRA settings but comon you can't build a game to run on ULTRA on PC and still have issues then expect console to be anywhere near capable of handling it. This is a horrible decision, but I put my faith in the guys behind this great game that optimization is still being worked on. I'm just glad we finally have the game in our hands, the bugs I can live with as long as they are ironed out over the coming weeks and months and not left until Pcars 2.

Spitfire77
27-05-2015, 18:04
I would like to suggest some things for the mirrors - They work OK as is but could be better. Please do not see this as a complaint but just trying to help with a game I really am enjoying.

Allow user to select virtual mirrors or real mirrors - having both on limits the system. This way there can also be side virtual mirrors for people using a low FOV.

Increase the size of the virtual mirror - it is a bit small - also increase its view angle more like a convex mirror if virtual side mirrors will not be added.

To increase draw distance issues with rear view mirrors, lower their resolution (mainly for consoles due to hardware limitation) and remove special effects from them including shadows as stated by lordymatsuo. Mirrors only need to show us that there is a car there, we do not need a detailed render. The headlights should be kept for night obviously but only in a very basic form.

daddyboosive
27-05-2015, 20:11
I have seen a few threads like this and the "Shazzam!" title just got me in a fit of laughter.

Bo Select was class haha