PDA

View Full Version : [YES] Was it intentional to keep Free Practice data from being recorded or displayed?

Sleepyharlot
27-05-2015, 16:15
I have been playing sims since GTR2. There have always been people who enjoy these as driving games in the same way that a flight simmer enjoys just flying a plane that they like on a route that they enjoy.

This is the first one that I have played that corrals free practice off in the corner like it does. Times don't display for tracks and cars used in free practice, my most used car is still the focus that I used in my one and only quick race that I tried, once, as opposed to the hours that I have spent in various prototypes, no record of the the style of cars that I like using...

What was the point of that choice? Was it just an oversight? As nice as your game looks on my PS4, I find myself booting up Assetto Corsa more often just because of the data collection and the fact that I am told when I make a new fastest lap and generally still makes me feel like I am playing their game. Multiple laps are displayed on the practice screen and they seem to go out of their way to make driving just as valid as racing.

Project Cars pretty much makes all non-racing irreverent unless you do the time trials against people online. I really hope that this gets changed as the track and car listing is pretty awesome, to me. I tend to be really easy to please when it comes to Sims and Simcades. I have just never before played one that was so focused on competition as opposed to just love for cars.

As it stands, the last Need for Speed keeps better track of things I do outside of their "core gameplay" than Project Cars. I respect if this is a conscious decision but it would suck if it was an oversight.

For the record, I am just fine with achievments being tied to competition. I have never cared about them. If my fastest practice lap would show up on the practice screen, I would not really even care that much about most used car and race style being tracked.

Thanks

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 16:24
i think its so all times are set from common ground and free practice is practice for any racing conditions you want to practice or use to set up a car (like for finding tunings for conditions in career races or driver network races).

Bleis
27-05-2015, 16:38
But there could be, an personaly refence saved... I miss, fighting against my best times in free practice and quick weekend races

JessicaWalter
27-05-2015, 16:41
yeah i wish we had some personal ghosts for non-TT laps, but i understand why we might not have them.

David Semperger
27-05-2015, 18:30
IIRC times are only uploaded from Time Trials, because it provides a fixed set of environmental settings (time of day, year, weather) and a locked fuel setting. In other words, because in Time Trial the difference in lap times only depend on the driver's skill and knowledge of the car, not any random factors.

Free Practice is there so that you can practice in whatever conditions you feel you need to the most. Having trouble in the rain? Hit up a wet track in FP and do 100 laps, without any pressure about your position in a race. You can't deal with the blinding sun in the Le Mans 24h race? Start an FP event and lock the time of day to the evening and practice that way.

Sleepyharlot
27-05-2015, 19:56
Thanks for that reply. That clears things up.

SpeedLimitUnknown
28-05-2015, 08:59
I too love how Assetto Corsa keeps a record of your personal best for EACH car on every individual track. PCars should do this too, simply on the end user side (these times aren't uploaded, they just show with the game menu for each track).

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 09:01
The data is pointless when you can't tune. Re: tuning grind

David Semperger
28-05-2015, 09:21
I too love how Assetto Corsa keeps a record of your personal best for EACH car on every individual track. PCars should do this too, simply on the end user side (these times aren't uploaded, they just show with the game menu for each track).

Why shouldn't the times be uploaded? You can still easily see your personal best with each car on every track on the leaderboards. I actually really dislike AC, because it doesn't have a global online leaderboard. Of course a few racing leagues fired up their own, but that means that the Time Trial community became fragmented, you can't ever be sure that your world record is truly one, because on another, less known leaderboard another guy could have beaten your time and you wouldn't know about it.

The data is pointless when you can't tune. Re: tuning grind

What do you mean by "can't tune" exactly?

SpeedLimitUnknown
28-05-2015, 09:35
It doesn't show your best lap outside of time trial, which is fine for time trial leadboards since it needs to be online and an even playing field. I would like to best times included from practice as well, but wouldn't count towards the Leaderboards. More just for my own information and attempts at beating personal bests.