PDA

View Full Version : Resources For Beginners? [PC / G27]

CyberOcelot
27-05-2015, 18:06
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and Project CARS. Unfortunately, I am one of those that was turned off by the steep learning curve and set the game aside. But, I've overcome my initial frustrations and decided to pick it back up and learn.

My personal conflict here is that I want my racing experience to be as realistic as possible (G27 racing wheel, assists are off, etc...). But I'm also a noob, so I'm constantly wiping out, crashing, and causing unrealistic havoc.

While seemingly less realistic than this title, I previously played Gran Turismo games. I was never any good using racing wheels there, but the License System in those games helped me to learn skills I could apply to the game and see improvement, where as Project CARS seemingly throws you on a track and screams "FIGURE IT OUT!"

Can anyone here please advise on how I can go about learning the skills I need to get the joy of racing out of Project CARS?

Thanks in advance.

Umer Ahmad
27-05-2015, 18:09
Start Here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE)

On the track, go slow, learn the tracks, feel the car. Then slowly add speed. You bought a "simulator" so it may feel little more difficult at first than other driving games. But in the end it will feel natural if you have experience driving in real life.

Also, good racing videos here (https://www.youtube.com/user/SAFEisFAST) for beginners

MarleyMoo
27-05-2015, 18:13
I think assists real is better than assists off because it turns on those assists that exist in the real car. From what I remember about the GT training courses, they are pretty applicable here, too. The good thing about playing sims is that, for the most part, what you learn in one game can be applied to other games.

As to actual driving, I think starting to brake in time makes everything else possible. Figure out the conservative brake zones for each corner first.

Mad Al
27-05-2015, 18:18
Why would you turn off driving aids... if you struggle, use them (go into gameplay and set them to real) and drive some of the cars that are less of a handful initially (GT3 are generally well sorted and come with driving aids in real life). Practice on the time trials as the tracks are fully rubbered in (free practice has a green track, so less grip)
Once you get a handle on those, progress to other series and some of the more difficult cars.

Most importantly, do not try to run before you can walk.. get the hang of one car and use that to explore different tracks and use a track you know well to explore new cars.

And most important of all.. take your time, silly as it sounds, a slow steady approach and build up slowly, will get you further than going balls out from the start...

Andy Rink
27-05-2015, 19:09
My advice, and I kinda suck so you may not wanna take it, is get to know some tracks real well. Donington Park National has been my training track because it has a little of everything but no really tight corners. Learn the track with one car. I happen to like the BMW Z4 GT3, and the formula A. Learn your breaking points. Learn what curbs you can and should use. If you want to get good enough to suck like me you need lots of patience and lots of practice.

I used to fly off the tracks on every corner. Patience and practice. Im not great now, but I'm much better than I was. Best of luck!

CyberOcelot
28-05-2015, 14:14
Thank you for all the great advice guys. It's much appreciated. :)

I should have mentioned that, prior to starting this thread, I did try a slower approach to every race, but found that the AI was perfectly content running me off the road.

Even in the first career karts race (which doesn't lend any practice) I found myself being bumped and crashed into constantly until I was willing to wait for everyone to pass just to get a feel for the kart.

When I was finally able to keep up, I found that, even when tailgating the kart in front of me, I was still being bumped in the rear by the kart behind me.

Is this normal?

Edit: Also, how important is tuning for a race and are there any guides available for learning more about tuning?

Edit 2: I'll start studying your resources over the weekend, and thank you VERY MUCH for the links. :)

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 14:33
Don't run with AI races for a while just practice on your own.

As Mad Al said Time trail is your best bet.

Edroh De Nornal
28-05-2015, 14:40
-I found the karts very hard to handle it. Happily I end Kart1 & Superkarts championship to never come back again
Try formula rookie

-AI seems to be a "little" dumb
-Well yes, is normal to bump and get bumped in karts in real life, I watched on TV many times in every race. (i,m looking som vids for you to show you how common is)
-tuning cars before race is very important because make you feel better with the car and the track. Is like adjusting a boot lace for long walks.

BrandonWright77
28-05-2015, 16:04
This video, while old and full of hilarious hairstyles, is a fantastic resource that explains how to approach performance driving in a very easy to understand way. I watched it several years ago and there are still certain things from it I think back to when I'm sim racing or driving. This isn't an arcade racer, you need to use real-world techniques to do well and this video will help you achieve that. But above all else, it's practice, practice, practice. As suggested above, find a car and track you're comfortable with and just drive the hell out of it until you feel like the car is an extension of your being. Slow in, fast out, and proper braking technique will do you wonders. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

Linus Leader
28-05-2015, 16:30
I highly recommend the Race Control series, it covers lots of different topics.

The "Legacy" videos can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVg8ljq5iun3c4Z1Xy4H0GvJC4g_jNxY5

The series is in the process of being updated with a "Redux" series. New installments will come roughly every two weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVg8ljq5iun1JodIEFKmexVWDPlJxmdve

There is also a local Forum thread for the series, which can be found here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21886-Race-Control-Redux-An-Educational-Webseries-on-Simracing

jsyedidia
28-05-2015, 16:51
I echo the idea of focusing on one track--I recommend Watkins Glen GP. The Radical SR3 is a relatively easy car to drive, and Watkins Glen is a nice track to learn it on. Turn all the assists off except for autoclutch at the beginning; you don't need them. I would recommend starting with Autoclutch and with paddles on the Radical. Then if you want to move up to a car with an H-shifter, the Lotus 78 is a car that used it in real life and is quite easy to drive compared to other cars of its class. I've even been able to turn Auto-clutch off with it and drive with the clutch and H-shifter on my G27, something I'm not able to do successfully in most racing games. I think it's OK to practice with the AI as well, just keep them at 70 or below while you're learning.

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 17:44
If you want to you could just use one AI at a low setting and just follow him around for a while, that way you might get used to the track and racing line, braking points etc.