PDA

View Full Version : How long do you game at a time?

Birdman
28-05-2015, 04:50
Back in my younger days I would game for hours, till my eyes would almost bleed. Fast forward 20+ years and I still love gaming but find that I have to make time to do so. The past couple of years I'm lucky if I actually get a weekend off but I find myself busy with family and just life in general. If I get an hour free during the week I always think to myself, Xbox? I just cant do it, it's hard for me to sit down and play for just an hour. Every once in a while I'll find myself with 4-5 hours or the night without distractions knowing I have the next day off work, then it's game time. You guys and gals know, set up a few beverages, snacks, a *coughpeacepipecough* and or whatever else you need knowing you only have to get up for a bathroom. Then I game until I literally can't focus anymore or get so tired I have to call it quits. I can't count the times I've woken up in my chair or couch with the controller in my hand. I'm still just as addicted to gaming as I was when my dad showed up one day back in 1989 with an Atari and about 80+ games. How hard is it for some of you to make time to game as you get older? Can you just sit down for 30-60 minutes or do you need 2-3 hours at a time?

Pink_650S
28-05-2015, 07:04
It depends really.
If l have a game that seriously hooked me, l can easily put 4 - 5 hours into per day. But that would do it for the day. When l stop playing, l stop for the whole day.
Recently l've been playing 2 - 3 hours a day, but like you mentioned, its becoming less the older you get. Thats true.

Martini Da Gasalini
29-05-2015, 19:22
Back in my younger days I would game for hours, till my eyes would almost bleed. Fast forward 20+ years and I still love gaming but find that I have to make time to do so. The past couple of years I'm lucky if I actually get a weekend off but I find myself busy with family and just life in general. If I get an hour free during the week I always think to myself, Xbox? I just cant do it, it's hard for me to sit down and play for just an hour. Every once in a while I'll find myself with 4-5 hours or the night without distractions knowing I have the next day off work, then it's game time. You guys and gals know, set up a few beverages, snacks, a *coughpeacepipecough* and or whatever else you need knowing you only have to get up for a bathroom. Then I game until I literally can't focus anymore or get so tired I have to call it quits. I can't count the times I've woken up in my chair or couch with the controller in my hand. I'm still just as addicted to gaming as I was when my dad showed up one day back in 1989 with an Atari and about 80+ games. How hard is it for some of you to make time to game as you get older? Can you just sit down for 30-60 minutes or do you need 2-3 hours at a time?

same here man, sucks getting older and having responsibilities, I don't have kids or anything like that, but I am oncall for my job so it sucks when i have to be unglued.

OrenIshii BE
02-06-2015, 12:05
i remember a good few years ago, the start of the Nintendo, then the follow up SNES,
Me and my bother used to get up early in the weekends to game, at 6 am going to the bakery and setting up breakfast for mum and dad when they woke up (so they couldn't complain we were gaming), we played a good 2 hours a day in the weekends then.

When i was a bit older and had a PC of my own, i gamed a lot more, whenever i got time really, going from 5-6 hours during the weekend to a half hour before volleybal practice.

When i moved out on my own, i started playing even more, never watched TV, all my spare time went into gaming. A good 5hours a day, in between i did a few tasks in household.

As i started dating, my game time was cut in half, now i'm living with teh misses and i'm struggling to put some time into games.
And time to game keeps disappearing more quickly, as we now have an adorable little boy (12 weeks old)

I'm 34 now today, and i must admit, still very much addicted to gaming, but indeed, as i'm aging, less time can be spent doing my favorite hobby.
I do mis the old days where i could game an entire day, but i wouldn't trade my current live for all the money in the world.
Love my wife and kid a great deal, they are what makes me ME :p

LADY GEMMA JANE
02-06-2015, 12:11
A few hours a day

TheLethalDose
02-06-2015, 13:15
When I discovered online play with halo 2 = 6+ hours a day easily and 12+ hours some days. I ended up barely going to school and played so much all I would dream about is that I was still playing. Used to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure my xbox wasn't on for real it got to me so much.

Was a pretty unhealthy time in my life, now I game for a much healthier 1-2 hours.

Bealdor
02-06-2015, 13:19
When I discovered online play with halo 2 = 6+ hours a day easily and 12+ hours some days. I ended up barely going to school and played so much all I would dream about is that I was still playing. Used to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure my xbox wasn't on for real it got to me so much.

Was a pretty unhealthy time in my life, now I game for a much healthier 1-2 hours.

Sounds like an explanation why you chose that nickname, LOL. :onthego:

Robbo-92
02-06-2015, 13:22
No where near as much as I used to, works taking over :(

FA RACING 01
02-06-2015, 13:40
Many moons ago could easily do a real time 24H endurance with my then 12 year old son on Gran Turismo4 at Nordscleiffe [to win a F1 I think]. Between work and family game time is now limited to about 8 hours a week and the 24 hour endurances are reduced to 2.4 hours.

Mattias
02-06-2015, 14:35
I usually only have time to play during the evenings, 21:00-22:00 and onwards and trying to end it at 23:00.
Some nights I can go on to 00:00 but that's pushing it, I'm a programmer and being tired at work is no good. :)
So approx. 2-3 hours a day. Just enough for one event (30 min practice, 30 min qual, 15 min warmup, 22 laps or more.)

Doesn't work every night, so I can't do it daily, but I try to plan ahead and enter events/leagues.
Basically playing on a schedule nowadays, not just when I feel like it.

I remember back in the days when I could game a whole day or several days in a row with no problems at all.

Megalomanic87
02-06-2015, 14:51
I've seen myself play games for hours upon hours, it really depends how engrossing it is. For example, i've seen me play GTA5 for about 12 hours straight, only stopping for a quick bite and a toilet break.
Actually played Pcars on Sunday for about 8hrs before realising the time! Oops!

Roger Prynne
02-06-2015, 14:59
I havn't played pCARS for about a week now as I have been playing it for hours and hours for nearly 4 years... so needed a break.
So now I find myself coming onto the forums for hours and hours... but it does give me some entertainment.... :friendly_wink: