PDA

View Full Version : PS4 lifetime shortened while using Pcars

Falconeye
28-05-2015, 08:24
Hi,

My PS4 is making so much noise and is so hot (nothing around it, placd in an open area) while using PS4 that I am wondering if the PS4 lifetime will not be reduced with this game. Even in menu Pcars seems using 99% of PS4 power.

I read that Pcars CPU and GPU are used at their max level all the time.

Will SMS optimise its code to give some breath to the console while all the power is not needed ?

Hope the console will not dead soon with this game...

MrStef85
28-05-2015, 08:43
You can collect some dust from your airvents.

madmax2069
28-05-2015, 08:50
The game wont kill your console, that is if your vent holes aren't clogged with dust, and even then the PS4s white light will turn red telling you the system is overheating (I do believe it will shut itself off if it continues).

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 09:05
Just have a look at this. Re: tuning grind

dwalldorf
28-05-2015, 09:06
It might wear the fans, cooling plates, etc. a little but I don't think it will significantly shorten the lifetime of the PS4.

Falconeye
28-05-2015, 12:15
I don't have dust on airvevents, I am cleaning them all 2 days.

I didn't know that we have a red light when the console is overheating. I have never had this red light, even with Pcars... Good news :)

IrideGravity
28-05-2015, 13:25
Anytime that fan is audible across the room. It's warm enough to likely be shortening the lifespan. If the fans working hard. So is everything else. Get a small fan to remotely move air around it. And get it up off the ground on some stacked quarters or something. The 1/8 inch of clearance it comes with is not sufficient to breathe underneath.

dvboy
28-05-2015, 17:24
People want games that brings out the potential of the PS4,developers do so then the complaints are that its running the console too hard.:hopelessness:

madmax2069
28-05-2015, 17:29
I don't have dust on airvevents, I am cleaning them all 2 days.

I didn't know that we have a red light when the console is overheating. I have never had this red light, even with Pcars... Good news :)

Its not the dust on the vents you have to worry about, its the dust inside the system that you cant see that you do have to worry about, it gets plastered all over the fan, starts clogging up the veins of the heatsink, restricts air pathways inside the system itself.

Mark Quigley
28-05-2015, 17:36
Time to blast the feker with a leaf blower!

Don't blast the feker with a leaf blower please, use an air duster :D

cudirage13
28-05-2015, 17:53
I really doubt that. The Witcher 3 does the same for my PC in that it uses a lot of CPU and GPU power and it's all fine and good. I did hear SMS might be getting a patch ready for the PS4 version regarding the big toll that the game takes on the cpu of the console.

apexatspeed
28-05-2015, 17:53
People keep telling people it is dust when they have never seen the other person's PS4 or know how old it is.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/incredulous.gif

Mark Quigley
28-05-2015, 18:28
I think what people are saying is it could be dust and don't just look at the external vents, the user with problems with either go "nah, I know it aint that" or "hmm, I'll go check that" he cleans it and he does not get a red light, it's not overheating, it's just getting hot.

I'm just trying to encourage some poor soul to blast their console with a leaf blower and maybe video it as I enjoy mindless destruction :p

apexatspeed
28-05-2015, 18:40
I think what people are saying is it could be dust and don't just look at the external vents, the user with problems with either go "nah, I know it aint that" or "hmm, I'll go check that" he cleans it and he does not get a red light, it's not overheating, it's just getting hot.

I'm just trying to encourage some poor soul to blast their console with a leaf blower and maybe video it as I enjoy mindless destruction :p

This wasn't just directed at you. I see it all over the place. Every time someone mentions their system crashing somebody comes in and says move your PS or clean your PS.

sirsilver1968
28-05-2015, 18:42
As long as the ps4 has decent airflow and ventilation and not enclosed in a cabinet it will be fine :)

Mark Quigley
28-05-2015, 18:46
This wasn't just directed at you. I see it all over the place. Every time someone mentions their system crashing somebody comes in and says move your PS or clean your PS.

Tbh almost every console bar a few I have seen have looked quite abused, slung under a telly and covered in fluff.
I shouldn't stereotype consoles tho :p

IrideGravity
28-05-2015, 21:46
I really doubt that. The Witcher 3 does the same for my PC in that it uses a lot of CPU and GPU power and it's all fine and good. I did hear SMS might be getting a patch ready for the PS4 version regarding the big toll that the game takes on the cpu of the console.

Racing games are in another league. I don't think the witcher ever moves through his environment in excess of 30 miles an hour? If he gets a horse? Way different than 200 mph. I get that his environment might be filled with particle effects etc that tax the system, but nothing works a GPU like speed.

yusupov
28-05-2015, 22:12

you just never know on the internet do you

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 13:17
Wtf?

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 13:19
Think of the marketing though...

pCARS is so taxing it explodes consoles!

NVI0U5
29-05-2015, 13:23
I play xbox but does ps4 have an aftermarket intercooler fan setups for them to run cooler?

SpaceMachine
29-05-2015, 13:23
Think of the marketing though...

pCARS is so taxing it explodes consoles!

Really Ian? Behave yourself.

FoxMulder
29-05-2015, 13:31
You know what else would explode? The workload of SMSs lawyers.

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 13:35

Nah, they give us the power we use it.

Umer Ahmad
29-05-2015, 13:49
hardware manufacturers are responsible for their own "thermal risk" monitoring and management. That's not on the software makers.

mister dog
29-05-2015, 13:54
Darn, it's not even out 2 years and it's already struggling... Time for PS5?

FoxMulder
29-05-2015, 14:01
hardware manufacturers are responsible for their own "thermal risk monitoring" and management. That's not on the software makers.

I'm sure Sony Legal Department would find a way to somehow make SMS responsible. You guys did fully read the Business Agreements, right? :cool:

Sony lawyer on the phone with SMS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnedkVrgFF0)

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 14:02
I'm sure Sony Legal Department would find a way to somehow make SMS responsible. You guys did fully read the Business Agreements, right? :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnedkVrgFF0

Yeah, read all that..... :culpability:

GenBrien
29-05-2015, 14:42
Darn, it's not even out 2 years and it's already struggling... Time for PS5?

the day the PS4 and Xbox1 were announced, their hardware were already lacking compared to modern PCs....

I would say time for PS6 if we want to have something decent...

BSDShoes
29-05-2015, 14:43
I play xbox but does ps4 have an aftermarket intercooler fan setups for them to run cooler?

Yes it sucks air out the back, I should pick up one of those myself even though my PS4 doesn't have heat issues since it's standing up in the open.

Sony lawyer on the phone with SMS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnedkVrgFF0)

jeez that dude had Robin Willams for a dentist, didn't he?

mister dog
29-05-2015, 14:52
the day the PS4 and Xbox1 were announced, their hardware were already lacking compared to modern PCs....

I would say time for PS6 if we want to have something decent...

I see it as a scheme nowadays; make the console cheap to produce and pretty basic for current day standards, hype it up!, sell millions of units with a good profit marge, restrict use of previous peripherals so the punters have to buy it all over again (wheels, pads, the lot), add in features that are basic and free on a PC like youtube and other entertainment services and make the punters pay a monthly fee to be able to use those or play online even. Repeat all of that a couple of years later and make millions again!

Hence why i went PC a couple of months ago.

Tillj
01-06-2015, 09:52
Time to blast the feker with a leaf blower!

Don't blast the feker with a leaf blower please, use an air duster :D

Yeah and don't use a vacuum either.

Slicker_VR
01-06-2015, 10:06
i have one of these - it fits on the back and sucks air out - you also may need a usb hub to power it :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pandaren%C2%AE-Super-Cooler-Cooling-Fan/dp/B00M2YHQSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433153018&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4+fan+cooler

keeps my ps4 cool and spreads the warmth - without it the heat tends to concentrate in one area. hope this helps some of you keep your consoles alive :)

Slicker_VR
01-06-2015, 10:10
I see it as a scheme nowadays; make the console cheap to produce and pretty basic for current day standards, hype it up!, sell millions of units with a good profit marge, restrict use of previous peripherals so the punters have to buy it all over again (wheels, pads, the lot), add in features that are basic and free on a PC like youtube and other entertainment services and make the punters pay a monthly fee to be able to use those or play online even. Repeat all of that a couple of years later and make millions again!

my entire set-up - ps4, t500rs, digital download of pcars, cooling fan and usb hub cost 633. my stepson has just spent 2000 on a pc powerful enough to run pcars - that money is not an option for the majority of console gamers and psplus costs around 32 pounds a year if you shop around - it would take a lot of years before i'm paying anything like that, by which time the pc would need upgrading anyway

lordymatsuo
01-06-2015, 10:44

Corporates and there ambition to make millions :)

Have to agree with this post, consoles when I was a kid we're great as they we're easy to pick up in shops for parents with no techy knowledge needed. Bring that thought process to today's market. Kids play consoles, more and more adults are moving to PC.

The issue with consoles is they always limit the spec solely based on end unit RRP. It's all well and good knowing they could have made the Xbone and PS4 better but then the price tag could have also been double and if the corporates running Sony/Microsoft make that decision they are then competing on price with PC. Price and ease of accessibility are 2 of the main factors that keep consoles going. Change that and they are in new territory.

PC will always be elite, console will always be lacking in the tech race but it will also always be more accessible. Whilst alot of Console/PC flame wars have many valid arguments on both sides of the fence. A lot of people forget millions of consoles are sold to parents who have limited tech knowledge, there kid just want the next thing to play on. I think the steam box is steams effort and combating that but even that isnt straight forward (how many versions is there)

Anyway getting way off topic here, have to agree with the OP's concerns with the overheating issues but hopefully the dev's will optimize further soon

KK78
01-06-2015, 10:47
my entire set-up - ps4, t500rs, digital download of pcars, cooling fan and usb hub cost 633. my stepson has just spent 2000 on a pc powerful enough to run pcars - that money is not an option for the majority of console gamers and psplus costs around 32 pounds a year if you shop around - it would take a lot of years before i'm paying anything like that, by which time the pc would need upgrading anyway

Yep, give me a console any day of the week, I used to PC game but got sick of the constant updating/upgrading, additional costs, glitchy games (let's not pretend it's just consoles that have issues) and poor customer service from Steam and the early access con. Each to their own of course but it's laughable that some PC elitists think they are above all others just because a game may look better or run a bit smoother- which is also not always the case at all. I love my PS4 sure it good make games look a little prettier but 300 for system which will be around 4-6 years is good value imo.

Zohair.bhojani
01-06-2015, 10:54
Anyway to clean the dust inside?

Slicker_VR
01-06-2015, 14:38
Anyway to clean the dust inside?

found this on youtube - haven't tried it myself, but looks relatively straightforward (may void warranty ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdUGnxETQDg

dwalldorf
01-06-2015, 18:01
found this on youtube - haven't tried it myself, but looks relatively straightforward (may void warranty ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdUGnxETQDg

Well... If you don't really know what you're doing or have never heard of electrostatic charging, you're far more likely going to destroy your PS with this, instead of it dying by dust inside. These systems are not made to be opened by endusers. There's a reason why this voids your guarantee. Thin cables and conductors can be damaged just by lifting the wrong component for instance. Instructions such as this video can be helpful and lower this risk of damaging your own PS4. You have to keep in mind though that internal arrangement may vary because they changed minor parts or did minor improvements over time. I don't know if any internal detail has been changed since the release of the PS4 but it might well be.

So in general I would say, if you don't have a problem, let it be. If you have a problem and this might be the solution, give it a try if you feel confident. Be careful and watch out for the details. Don't pull anything off suddenly just because some guy in a video said there's nothing underneath it to be damaged.

LukeC
03-06-2015, 08:58
Hi,

My PS4 is making so much noise and is so hot (nothing around it, placd in an open area) while using PS4 that I am wondering if the PS4 lifetime will not be reduced with this game. Even in menu Pcars seems using 99% of PS4 power.

I read that Pcars CPU and GPU are used at their max level all the time.

Will SMS optimise its code to give some breath to the console while all the power is not needed ?

Hope the console will not dead soon with this game...

For what it's worth I've had the same problem with my PS3 since I got GT6, maybe even earlier. (Bought mine in 2008 and still going strong despite overheating)

Since reading your post early last week I've been keeping an eye on my PS 4 and I don't seem to have any overheating issues; even after three-hour long project cars sessions. Yes it does feel quite warm to the touch, but I don't hear any fans or anything drastic going on. (It's winter here in Australia and quite cold, so maybe that has something to do with it)

Based on my PS3 experiences with overheating issues accompanied by vacuum cleaner-like fan sounds, I can tell you that it is unlikely that your ps4 will blow up. Naturally keep it as cool and as well ventilated as possible, but I wouldn't go nuts with it.

mister dog
03-06-2015, 09:14
For 2000 pounds that PC better make your stepson's toast in the morning! An I5/ GTX960 combo which can play almost all new games on ultra sets you back 700 euros (600 pounds?), all my other hardware is compatible so i don't need to buy wheels or controllers again, online is free, games are cheaper and i have the added advantage i can use my PC for PC/ entertainment stuff too.

McLari
04-06-2015, 18:29
The only thing getting hot here is the misses, complaining she doesn't see me anymore...;)

oscarolim
04-06-2015, 22:33
For 2000 pounds that PC better make your stepson's toast in the morning! An I5/ GTX960 combo which can play almost all new games on ultra sets you back 700 euros (600 pounds?), all my other hardware is compatible so i don't need to buy wheels or controllers again, online is free, games are cheaper and i have the added advantage i can use my PC for PC/ entertainment stuff too.
So all you need is cpu and graphic card? No memories, board, tower, power supply, cables, cooling, monitor, keyboard, mouse, driving wheel?
You say you had compatible ones from a previous machine? We're they free then? Maybe his nephew didn't had parts laying around from a previous machine.