PDA

View Full Version : [PATCH 2.0] need to be able to have multiple input devices connected the same time

madmax2069
28-05-2015, 16:54
Being that this game has many button bindings (more then what the controller has, and sometimes more then a few wheels have), it would be awesome if we could hook up a USB keyboard to assign some buttons to, or a button box to assign buttons to. Also some steering wheels lack the share button, and being able to keep the controller connected to be able to press the share button to save a recording on the fly or to take a screen shot on the fly (cant always save the replay in game), you have to literally disconnect the wheel and reconnect the DS4 controller to be able to use some of the PS4s funtions.

But for some reason in this game you can only have one device connected at a time.

JessicaWalter
28-05-2015, 17:01
id like it if we could use a second device (such as a keyboard, etc) with a controller. i don't 'need' it, and ill still enjoy the game without it, but id like to be able to map some more buttons such as seat adjustments, brake and sway adjustments, etc.

if i want to use them now i have to temporarily switch some buttons, use the adjustment buttons in some practice, and then swap em again and put the buttons i need back in. makes the workflow run like molasses

Max Kelly
28-05-2015, 17:03
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26548-A-proper-open-letter-to-Ian-Bell&p=926897&viewfull=1#post926897

kaa0s
28-05-2015, 17:41
I have a keyboard attached to my ps4 all the time. The first thing I tried was all the buttons on it and found out there is a few keys that work like they work in the pc version already, like backspace for going back in the menus for example. It seems there is a little "leftover" code in play from the pc version. You can also use it to properly name your pit strategies (I find the names will often get messed up if done "normally"). Oh yeah and WASD works for steering too heheh :D So what I'm getting at, it seems there is already these things in the code so it shouldn't be too hard to implement it so you could assign buttons to it, right? (you can actually try to assign them and it will give you a error message, and also when you do this you can't back out with the controller circle button, you have to back out using the keyboard backspace)

Anyhow, I would also love this feature to be added. It would certainly help alot with testing out stuff on the tracks.

PS. after noticing that the keyboard semi-functions I just had to also try a mouse! No luck there, I got excited and was so hoping I could use it to change values on sliders more precisely. Was a wired mouse though, if I'd have a wireless one that the ps4 supports better I'd certainly test it out!

Awong124
28-05-2015, 19:41
It would be nice just to be able to use the controller to navigate the menus while the wheel is connected. There are also a lot of things the game simply doesn't allow you to do with the wheel alone. You can't scroll things that require the right analog stick to scroll, like I can't even see some of the lap times the during practice and qualifying because I can't scroll up and down that list. You also can't take photos because you can't move the camera around without the analog sticks.

DJ_Devious
30-05-2015, 16:31
I have a keyboard attached to my ps4 all the time. The first thing I tried was all the buttons on it and found out there is a few keys that work like they work in the pc version already, like backspace for going back in the menus for example. It seems there is a little "leftover" code in play from the pc version. You can also use it to properly name your pit strategies (I find the names will often get messed up if done "normally"). Oh yeah and WASD works for steering too heheh :D So what I'm getting at, it seems there is already these things in the code so it shouldn't be too hard to implement it so you could assign buttons to it, right? (you can actually try to assign them and it will give you a error message, and also when you do this you can't back out with the controller circle button, you have to back out using the keyboard backspace)

Anyhow, I would also love this feature to be added. It would certainly help alot with testing out stuff on the tracks.

PS. after noticing that the keyboard semi-functions I just had to also try a mouse! No luck there, I got excited and was so hoping I could use it to change values on sliders more precisely. Was a wired mouse though, if I'd have a wireless one that the ps4 supports better I'd certainly test it out!

After a fair bit of experimentation I couldn't get WASD to work for steering on my keyboard (tried all shift+keys, Ctrl+keys and Alt+keys) but I could get the following:

Num Pad Up = move camera up
Num Pad Down = move camera down
Num Pad Left = move camera left
Num Pad Right = move camera right
P = freeze on-screen action - not the same as the Pause button mapping
Esc = Pause to menu and Back whilst in menu
Pause/Break = PS button
Print Screen = Share button

I tried with both my DS4 and T300RS as the controller and didn't get any different results. Really hoping WMD let us map DS4 and/or USB keyboards in future!

Lipti
15-06-2015, 18:42
Any news about this topic? Is this the correct place where the developers look for feature requests? Use of DS4 for menu navigation and T300RS for driving is the only but important thing which is missing for me.

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 15:24
Done !

Check today's patch2.0 NOTES in my signature. And dont forget to say thanks.

Lipti
24-06-2015, 18:41
Thank you very much!!! As soon as the patch goes live, I'm going to spend my time with the game (navigating through the menus and not being able to use all functions [camera movement for example] has been a pain for me).

PureMalt77
25-06-2015, 06:22
Patch notes mention USB keyboards... I wonder if exclusively USB or also Bluetooth will work.
I posted this question twice on the patch notes thread, but it is growing so fast that probably went unnoticed...

Voxen
25-06-2015, 07:18
Patch notes mention USB keyboards... I wonder if exclusively USB or also Bluetooth will work.
I posted this question twice on the patch notes thread, but it is growing so fast that probably went unnoticed...

I created a new topic for this ;)

DJ_Devious
29-06-2015, 19:10
Done !

Check today's patch2.0 NOTES in my signature. And dont forget to say thanks.

Brilliant news! Thank you! :D

Redslayer
30-06-2015, 03:47
Yay keyboard support :D Been wanting it since the first day I looked at all the menu options lol.

Time to build a mount area for my keyboard on my wheel setup.

Rod Trip
02-07-2015, 03:02
So at the end the 2.0 patch will support a keyboard to tune the car, put the seat front, back etc, in game?

Fong74
02-07-2015, 08:15
Exactly, yes.

Umer Ahmad
06-07-2015, 09:43
Bump, patch is AVAILABLE NOW for PS4. Lets see if this works.

danowat
06-07-2015, 09:50
Anyone know if bluetooth keyboards are supported?

Lipti
06-07-2015, 11:52
Anyone know if bluetooth keyboards are supported?

As far as I can tell, only for menu navigation or something like this. I didn't manage to assign a control to the bluetooth keyboard (with one exception: the RETURN/ENTER key).
The DS controller can be used for menu navigation too, that's great. Again, I didn't manage to assign a control (when using the wheel) to the DS controller.

So it's just a comfortable way for menu navigation (using the controller AND the wheel). Maybe it gets enhanced to assign keys to certain controls in further patches?

EDIT: Another situation using a USB keyboard: There, you can assign controls to it!
Conclusion (with patch 2.0) with the wheel being main control device (used for steering):
Other bluetooth devices (DS controller / bluetooth keyboard): menu yes, control assignments no.
USB keyboard: menu yes, control assignments YES.

Fong74
06-07-2015, 12:00
Yes, BT keyboards are supported!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34129-Project-CARS-PS4-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1032819&viewfull=1#post1032819

Lipti
06-07-2015, 12:02
Yes, BT keyboards are supported!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34129-Project-CARS-PS4-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1032819&viewfull=1#post1032819

But not for control assignments yet, see my previous post. I just tested with a bluetooth (no control assignments) and a USB (control assignments working) keyboard.

PureMalt77
06-07-2015, 12:37
But not for control assignments yet, see my previous post. I just tested with a bluetooth (no control assignments) and a USB (control assignments working) keyboard.

Which BT keyboard are u using?
Because as to the post of Fong74, this Logitech BT Keyboard apparently works also in game. I do see they sell it as PS3 compatible, so perhaps there is a catch here in comparison with other KB...

Fong74
06-07-2015, 12:44

By "control" you mean functions like changing seat position or sway bars etc, not the ones that are related to steering the car like brake, throttle, gears etc, right?

As I have the named PS3 BT keyboard I was very happy to read that it works just fine with pCars now. Really looking forward to use that new feature :yes:

Lipti
06-07-2015, 13:10
Which BT keyboard are u using?
Cherry KW6000

Lipti
06-07-2015, 13:12
By "control" you mean functions like changing seat position or sway bars etc, not the ones that are related to steering the car like brake, throttle, gears etc, right?
Exactly. My Cherry KW6000 bluetooth keyboard works for menu navigation but not for assigning in-game-controls. My USB keyboard Logitech K120 works without a problem.

Umer Ahmad
06-07-2015, 13:20
WORKING!

"Great Work ! Can finally map all the buttons to my BT Keyboard and navigate the menus with the pad and race with my t500rs ! "

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34129-Project-CARS-PS4-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&p=1032914&viewfull=1#post1032914

Lipti
10-07-2015, 13:22
I continued testing my findings and got the solution now:

You cannot assign a key to a control (on the settings page, like moving the seat) if you navigate through the settings page with the keyboard itself and press ENTER to get to the popup where you have to press the key you want the control assigned to. If you navigate through the settings page with the DS controller and press X to get to the popup, you are able to assign a key from the keyboard to the control! Same for bluetooth and USB keyboards.

So my conclusion that assigning controls to keys of my bluetooth keyboard does not work was WRONG! It resulted because of the random coincidence that I pressed ENTER on the bluetooth keyboard to get to the popup for assigning the control but pressed X on the DS controller when I tried to assign the control to a key of my USB keyboard.

PureMalt77
10-07-2015, 13:32
I continued testing my findings and got the solution now:

You cannot assign a key to a control (on the settings page, like moving the seat) if you navigate through the settings page with the keyboard itself and press ENTER to get to the popup where you have to press the key you want the control assigned to. If you navigate through the settings page with the DS controller and press X to get to the popup, you are able to assign a key from the keyboard to the control! Same for bluetooth and USB keyboards.

So my conclusion that assigning controls to keys of my bluetooth keyboard does not work was WRONG! It resulted because of the random coincidence that I pressed ENTER on the bluetooth keyboard to get to the popup for assigning the control but pressed X on the DS controller when I tried to assign the control to a key of my USB keyboard.

Thx for sharing dude!
I've created a central thread for people to share their experience here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34275-Keyboard-compatibility-Share-your-experience
By creating it, I've posted the Cherry KB model you mentioned a while ago as "Menu Working". So, should I change that to fully working?

Lipti
10-07-2015, 13:38
Thx for sharing dude!
I've created a central thread for people to share their experience here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34275-Keyboard-compatibility-Share-your-experience
By creating it, I've posted the Cherry KB model you mentioned a while ago as "Menu Working". So, should I change that to fully working?

Yes, it's fully working. I expect that every keyboard, no matter if USB or bluetooth is working. It was just a stupid coincidence when I tested my keyboards. I pressed ENTER to get to the popup with my bluetooth keyboard, because being wireless was so easy to navigate with, whereas I used the DS controller for navigating and pressed X for opening the popup and then went to the wired USB keyboard to press the key to be assigned. The first didn't work and the latter worked because of the reason mentioned before, not because of being USB or bluetooth!

EDIT: Most important, I want to say sorry for causing this confusion!!!