PDA

View Full Version : Does Setting Full Damage Promote Clean On-line Racing?

Gpruitt54
28-05-2015, 18:00
I love the look and feel of PC. However, I miss the incentive of iRacing in promoting clean racing. It seems that nearly every public race has at least 20% who think that every race depends on be in front at the first corner of the first lap. So, pile ups are almost assured within the first 10 seconds of the race. When I setup races, I always apply full damage and at least 1 practice session, so racers can get some feel for the track prior to the race session.

What do you guys to promote clean racing (if this is important at all) and at the same time keep the wreckers at bay?
Just wondering.

apexatspeed
28-05-2015, 18:06
I have said this on a different thread, but for me I think it is the opposite. Running full damage gives the troll the satisfaction of ruining your race if they break your wheels or suspension. If I have damage off and I get ran into a barrier or rear ended I can recover and still maybe get some positions back.

These people get off to wheels flying through the air, cracked windshields, and missing body parts. I won't give them the satisfaction.

Gpruitt54
28-05-2015, 18:23
I have said this on a different thread, but for me I think it is the opposite. Running full damage gives the troll the satisfaction of ruining your race if they break your wheels or suspension. If I have damage off and I get ran into a barrier or rear ended I can recover and still maybe get some positions back.

These people get off to wheels flying through the air, cracked windshields, and missing body parts. I won't give them the satisfaction.

Those are excellent points. I'll have to consider this.

3800racingfool
28-05-2015, 18:23

I tend to see the same thing. If you're with a good group and everyone races with the intention of being clean, having full damage on is a boon as it promotes safer driving and less recklessness.

However, on pub servers full damage only serves to frustrate the people who want to race cleanly because some moron is always going to make contact (whether he intended to or not).

badkarma
28-05-2015, 18:46
Iracing was built with clean racing as paramount, that's why you have the safety ratings ( it's easier to lose than gain rating)....and you have to use your real name so if you keep ruining races for everyone, you will get a bad rep. There is little if any downside to wrecking people in CARS

You will never get that with the current CARS multiplayer system unless you join a league or someone builds a system like iracing's to work with CARS. Might be possible with the APIs, I don't know.

cudirage13
28-05-2015, 18:50
When racing online with randoms I would always like damage off. When racing online with clean racers I would like full damage and Mechanical Failures which some still look down upon for some reason?

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 19:01
Lol just have a few races and see lol
Does anyone recon we'll get a Hummer for the next dlc?

No thought not!

k.merse
28-05-2015, 19:05
I don't think it would make online racing any cleaner. At least with damage on those who play wreckathon can knock out only one or two opponents before their car is totaled.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 19:09
I tend to see the same thing. If you're with a good group and everyone races with the intention of being clean, having full damage on is a boon as it promotes safer driving and less recklessness.

However, on pub servers full damage only serves to frustrate the people who want to race cleanly because some moron is always going to make contact (whether he intended to or not).

Theres always some prat who crashes into me early on, I used to have team mates crash into each other in race series because they were racing each other! I like it for short races and should be fun with longer ones in this new game. But I'm a bit of an animal tbh I don't hit overly hard, but I position my car in places you wouldn't expect! Because I can? Did anyone notice the tyre stacks can be driven over??

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 19:20
I find alot of frustration about their car setup makes them try harder, thats when you get trouble. Or the oposite their cars very good and they aren't patient enough. At the end of the day its about car control and track manners. If your nose is ahead of mine you have it, if I know my car can go around that line I'll stay there ready for any change of line from my opponent and yield as necessary. Trouble is people don't like it and start leaning on me, if I go off, I go off. I won't hold a grudge. Let your car do the talking and shut up I say. Works most of the time:rolleyes:

badkarma
28-05-2015, 22:16
There is also the lack of knowledge on proper racing etiquette / rules with online drivers.

1. Most people don't know that dive bombing is frowned upon, probably because the AI do it constantly.
2. Respect of the other driver's track position, also something the AI do not adhere to.
3. It is the responsibility of the car doing the overtaking to make it a clean and safe overtake. oh the AI don't do this either.

There are more but these are what I believe are the most important.

spinkick
28-05-2015, 23:33
There is also the lack of knowledge on proper racing etiquette / rules with online drivers.

1. Most people don't know that dive bombing is frowned upon, probably because the AI do it constantly.
2. Respect of the other driver's track position, also something the AI do not adhere to.
3. It is the responsibility of the car doing the overtaking to make it a clean and safe overtake. oh the AI don't do this either.

There are more but these are what I believe are the most important.

What does dive bombing mean? Coming from the inside straight into the apex while someone is coming from the outside?

badkarma
28-05-2015, 23:45
Dive bombing is when the car in front is about to brake for turn in and the car behind out brakes to the inside.

If the car doing the passing is alongside at least a nose at the middle of the door before the braking zone then the corner is theirs, otherwise it's considered dive bombing. Some people say it should be neck and neck, but a nose at the door is easy enough to see for me and I'll give them the corner.

It is good etiquette to not pull wild maneuvers and always make your intentions obvious to the other drivers so they always know where you are.