PDA

View Full Version : Pit Box Currently Occupied at Le Mans 24 Hours

OperatorWay
28-05-2015, 19:06
During my single-player Project CARS career (on PC), I received an invitation to race an LMP1 car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Due to unexpected pit behaviors, it took me 4 attempts to even have a shot at finishing anything other than last place.

• On my 1st attempt at the event, when I was running low on fuel, I went in for my first pit stop, refueled, and went on my merry way - no problems. Running low on fuel again later in that same race, I went in for another pit stop, and my car automatically drove itself inside a garage in the paddock & permanently parked... I could no longer drive. I could only sit in the garage & watch other cars drive by as the session timer continue to tick down. I had no damage, and mechanical failures are disabled in my options/settings. There were no announcements from the pit engineer about why I was pulled out of the race. There were no on-screen indicators of any problems or disqualifications. I exited out of the race & restarted.

• On my 2nd attempt at the event, when I was running very low on fuel, I went in for a pit stop only to be denied refueling with an on-screen message saying: "pit box currently occupied." I didn't have enough fuel for another full lap around Le Mans, so not long after being ushered out of pit lane, my empty car slowed to a crawl & I quickly fell far behind to last place with no hope of catching up. I again exited & restarted the race.

• On my 3rd attempt at the event, I mapped a key on my keyboard to the in-game "request pit stop" function so that I could announce my intentions to pit. After declaratively requesting my first pit stop, the game displayed an on-screen confirmation to "pit in," but I was once again denied with a "pit box currently occupied" message after I drove into pit lane. It was essentially like serving a drive-through penalty since I incurred the lost time of driving through pit lane without the benefit of a pit service - which again, dropped me far behind to last place when I ran out of fuel on the following lap.

• On my 4th attempt at the event, I started trying to pit a lap or two before I really needed to pit. Sure enough, on my first entry into the pit, I was denied with the "pit box currently occupied" message. At least this time, I had kept enough fuel in the tank & rubber on the tires to go another lap. I was able to successfully pit on the following lap, but I still lost time to my first unsuccessful slog through pit lane - it was like pitting twice but only having my car serviced once. Eventually, with this "play it safe & try to pit earlier than needed" approach, I was finally able to complete the event without a last-place finish.

Hopefully, this might serve as a warning of preparation to others who might attempt this event. Be prepared for uncertainties in the pit.

I'm open to the idea that maybe there are some things I just don't understand about how pitting is supposed to work in Project CARS. I used this forum's search page, as well as Google, but I didn't see anything that provided me with any insight on this. If I'm doing something wrong, somebody please tell me - preferably nicely. :)

Is there some way to know before attempting to pit whether or not the pit box is currently occupied? Shouldn't an on-screen message or the race engineer confirm (or deny) pit availability, especially when formally requesting a pit stop?

I'm almost tempted to just disable tire wear & fuel usage in the game's options/settings so that I never have a reason to pit.

cerbrus2
29-05-2015, 11:56
Are you using the pit request button, and just drive into pits.

doodleco
29-05-2015, 12:14
Surely at Le Mans in particular (as well as most international circuits) there would be one pit box per car, therefore your box should never be occupied. I guess though that the game has to accommodate other race series which have one box per team set by the regulations so could be difficult to differentiate. Perhaps a thought for the future?

AngelBrow
29-05-2015, 12:31
I got the pit box occupied aswell when i ran the 24h of le mans in GT3 class. I got taken out of the race by a lapping Audi LMP1. So never finished the race.... shame. Why is there only 30-32 cars on le mans when on le mans in solo weekend you can have up to 45. Aprox 45 cars is whats being used in reallife. I ran just a 2 lap race to try it out with 45 cars worked fine.

If you guys rls the real nordschleife 24h track. Make sure there can be 45 cars on track aswell. I did a 1h race on the nordschleife, and 4 cars of 32 had retaired. Can only imagine how few cars would be running after a real 24h.

mcarver2000
29-05-2015, 12:39
This happens all the time. I request a pit stop. The engineer comes on the radio and tells me to "box, box ...", only to get to my box, and find that it is occupied, race ruined. The pit engineer should not be telling the driver to box when the box will not be available.

maTech
11-06-2015, 18:14
Today i had the same problem in le mans. My settings for the race: Quick race and Multiclass with LMP cars. First i drove with 55 opponents. I requested a pit stop and in the box i got the message that the box is occupied but no other car was in. So i tried with just 50 opponents but it was the same problem :(

jsykes
11-06-2015, 18:18
First off, there shouldnt even be an option for the pit box being occupied. Only in F1 does two team cars share a pit box. At Le Mans, every car has its own pit box, so there is no reason for this in the first place.

Hopefully they fix it if they're really trying to be realistic.

Bryer
11-06-2015, 18:19
Sounds like the team are following the rules. You need to request the team at the start of the lap or in the first half of the lap. You request to late they won't be prepared, they also can't stand around in the outland due to regulations in place.

apexatspeed
11-06-2015, 18:21
Sounds like the team are following the rules. You need to request the team at the start of the lap or in the first half of the lap. You request to late they won't be prepared, they also can't stand around in the outland due to regulations in place.

What does anything you said have to do with someone's pit box being occupied?

xautos
11-06-2015, 18:22
During my single-player Project CARS career (on PC), I received an invitation to race an LMP1 car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Due to unexpected pit behaviors, it took me 4 attempts to even have a shot at finishing anything other than last place.

• On my 1st attempt at the event, when I was running low on fuel, I went in for my first pit stop, refueled, and went on my merry way - no problems. Running low on fuel again later in that same race, I went in for another pit stop, and my car automatically drove itself inside a garage in the paddock & permanently parked... I could no longer drive. I could only sit in the garage & watch other cars drive by as the session timer continue to tick down. I had no damage, and mechanical failures are disabled in my options/settings. There were no announcements from the pit engineer about why I was pulled out of the race. There were no on-screen indicators of any problems or disqualifications. I exited out of the race & restarted.

• On my 2nd attempt at the event, when I was running very low on fuel, I went in for a pit stop only to be denied refueling with an on-screen message saying: "pit box currently occupied." I didn't have enough fuel for another full lap around Le Mans, so not long after being ushered out of pit lane, my empty car slowed to a crawl & I quickly fell far behind to last place with no hope of catching up. I again exited & restarted the race.

• On my 3rd attempt at the event, I mapped a key on my keyboard to the in-game "request pit stop" function so that I could announce my intentions to pit. After declaratively requesting my first pit stop, the game displayed an on-screen confirmation to "pit in," but I was once again denied with a "pit box currently occupied" message after I drove into pit lane. It was essentially like serving a drive-through penalty since I incurred the lost time of driving through pit lane without the benefit of a pit service - which again, dropped me far behind to last place when I ran out of fuel on the following lap.

• On my 4th attempt at the event, I started trying to pit a lap or two before I really needed to pit. Sure enough, on my first entry into the pit, I was denied with the "pit box currently occupied" message. At least this time, I had kept enough fuel in the tank & rubber on the tires to go another lap. I was able to successfully pit on the following lap, but I still lost time to my first unsuccessful slog through pit lane - it was like pitting twice but only having my car serviced once. Eventually, with this "play it safe & try to pit earlier than needed" approach, I was finally able to complete the event without a last-place finish.

Hopefully, this might serve as a warning of preparation to others who might attempt this event. Be prepared for uncertainties in the pit.

I'm open to the idea that maybe there are some things I just don't understand about how pitting is supposed to work in Project CARS. I used this forum's search page, as well as Google, but I didn't see anything that provided me with any insight on this. If I'm doing something wrong, somebody please tell me - preferably nicely. :)

Is there some way to know before attempting to pit whether or not the pit box is currently occupied? Shouldn't an on-screen message or the race engineer confirm (or deny) pit availability, especially when formally requesting a pit stop?

I'm almost tempted to just disable tire wear & fuel usage in the game's options/settings so that I never have a reason to pit.

i noticed this alot when i was doing a race for the clio cup on an alt in solo career mode. never had issue about it just yet, but something to wonder about later on though.

Bryer
11-06-2015, 18:26
What does anything you said have to do with someone's pit box being occupied?

The pit box occupied message doesn't mean there is a car in it, it could mean the crew isn't ready to receive your car during a pit stop. The game can only be coded with so many scenarios. Might be worth finding out how much notice the Op was giving when requesting the stop. In 2nd half of the lap or later, would probably be too late to get everything ready.

Bryer
11-06-2015, 18:28
i noticed this alot when i was doing a race for the clio cup on an alt in solo career mode. never had issue about it just yet, but something to wonder about later on though.

I believe the Clio Cup doesn't need / require Pit stops which may explain it.

maTech
11-06-2015, 18:53
I pushed the request pit stop button very early in the lap in le mans just after finishing the last lap so i don't think i requested too late? Another problem (i don't want to start a new thread) my "garage" in the pit lane (driving with 55 opponents) was the guardrail. Driving with 54 opponents (one less) solves the problem and i do have my garage.

xautos
11-06-2015, 18:54
I believe the Clio Cup doesn't need / require Pit stops which may explain it.

second race is mandatory pitstop, first race is full out before moving to the next round where the next 2 races are held.

centenaryman
09-08-2015, 10:32
I had this issue last night during a 3 hr endurance race at Le mans, driving the Audi r18 e-tron Quattro. Leading the race I pit in and yes I got the “Pit Occupied” message and just as others have already said I’m sent through the pit lane and then ran out of fuel, at that point I’d been racing for nearly an hour. My answer initially was to turn off the game and complain on returning I ran it again on a lower number of laps with no stops. It is a testament to the game however that despite issues I always return for more but let’s hope pitstop issues are eventually fixed.