PDA

View Full Version : Question about optimization

Jetman
28-05-2015, 19:12
So I was wondering, exactly how do you optimize a game from 23fps (wii u ) to 30fps without dropping graphical effects n stuff like that. I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to coding, but I just don't see code optimization increasing framerate by almost 30%. Hoping a dev or something would be willing to come in and shed a bit of light on how that's accomplished (b/c unless the code's very ugly burning up tons of clock cycles, how else would you increase framerate besides sacrificing quality).

could_do_better
28-05-2015, 19:14
It frequently has over the course of my 3 year involvement here. There have been some monumental steps forward from time to time. Detail grass went from a fps killer to almost free in the last few weeks before release.

Jetman
28-05-2015, 19:19
It frequently has over the course of my 3 year involvement here. There have been some monumental steps forward from time to time. Detail grass went from a fps killer to almost free in the last few weeks before release.

Very interesting, boy i'd love to see the source (ik i can't but still haha). Do you know what kind of technique's used to handle the grass (shader or something to handle the grass being tossed around like in this pic? https://feb33d8763de0c0f2e0a-dd07187202f57fa404a8f047da2bcff5.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/ZNOPpHHwEowH.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg).