PDA

View Full Version : Which Cam do you use

Photonmonkey
29-05-2015, 09:33
Not sure if anyone posted about this but just keen to know what cam people race using. I normally always use in car cam with FOV set to 75. However had a play with the helmet cam, thought it was a bit gimmicky at first but seem to be warming to it, especially with the slight look to the Apex feature. Just wondering what people have found to work for them, most immersive/playable etc including FOV? Cheers

chig88
29-05-2015, 09:44
Helmet cam. Brilliant feature & much more immersive than I thought it would be. I hope the look to apex option becomes a staple of all future racing games.

MJakaHips
29-05-2015, 09:45
I use the hood cam purely because it was the first I used and now it's comfortable. I guess I should try the others!

The Sonic Mole
29-05-2015, 09:54
Cockpit cam for me. It's the view that most makes my monitor feel like it's the windscreen of the car I'm driving.

flymar
29-05-2015, 09:56
Helmet:
FOV - 81,
Helmet shown,
helmet blur Off
SS FOV: 90/110, 60/150 mph
LTA- off
CL,HL: 75
HSS: On
WM: 85

John Hargreaves
29-05-2015, 09:56
I use helmet cam with blur, helmet and dof turned off so I just get the g force and look to apex effects. Love it.

PureMalt77
29-05-2015, 09:57
Depends...
I like cockpit view for closed cars, helmet view for open/formula cars.
I do use hood view when "learning" a new track, for a better view of the corners, breaking points...

mcbrew
29-05-2015, 10:02
I use the hoodcam. Still trying to figure out wich FOV is the best for me though.

danowat
29-05-2015, 10:09
Single seaters, cockpit or helmet cam, Tin tops, hood cam.

Cockpit or helmet cam is too claustrophobic in tin tops, and I am faster from the hood.

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 10:17
All of them, but not the bumper cam unless I'm entertaining!
You got to check the cars attitude extrenally if your game hasn't got telemitry on the external app!! Such a shame we got misled.imo

Mr.Smoke
29-05-2015, 10:28
Roof cam usually. Sometimes i will switch it to in-car cam or dash, but cant quite match my lap times from roof cam.

mister dog
29-05-2015, 10:31
Helmet but without the helmet. I have the ideal cockpit view that way through the look to apex and movement sliders.

siemens123
29-05-2015, 13:15
roof cam with FOV 101 ,so i can see the helmet of drivers on openwheel.

HarryHoodlum
29-05-2015, 13:22
Roof cam/hood cam depending on the car. Ill use the cockpit view if im just messing around.

_MB_
29-05-2015, 13:31
Depends

helmet cam- Love this view but only really use in single player/time trial/tracks i know well
Cockpit cam-I use this sometimes if not using helmet cam in career depending on the car
Roof Cam-Learning tracks and Online for visibility of others(if we had proximity arrows i wouldn't use this view as much)

delta_reg
29-05-2015, 14:42
At first I used cockpit cam exclusively, but lately I've switched more to using the hood cam as it seems I can race more precisely with it.

BSDShoes
29-05-2015, 14:46
Mostly cockpit, but roof on open wheel cars.

gbm
29-05-2015, 15:23
Either:

- cockpit (with FOV 75-80 depending on car, and sensitivity adjusted to pull back slightly at higher speeds)
- helmet (with same settings)

Equation
29-05-2015, 15:39
Helmet cam. Also time trial. I bet that I can do better times with roof or hood cambut still I use helmet cam.

lordymatsuo
29-05-2015, 15:39
Helmet Cam and chase cam depending what mood I'm in.

I love helmet cam for the realistic POV, but I also love chase cam as I like looking at the car :)

muscular
29-05-2015, 15:50
Hood cam is most realistic, taking into consideration the distance between yourself and your television screen, and also a wheel in front of you. Imo cockpit is just fanciful stuff that is probably best to display the game's graphics and efforts rather than sim racing. In cockpit u really cannot clock in good timing due to limit of the road u see, and really I can't see how this is a representation of real life racing when u see so little of the important stuff (road).

Smigro
29-05-2015, 16:00
Hood cam is most realistic, taking into consideration the distance between yourself and your television screen, and also a wheel in front of you. Imo cockpit is just fanciful stuff that is probably best to display the game's graphics and efforts rather than sim racing. In cockpit u really cannot clock in good timing due to limit of the road u see, and really I can't see how this is a representation of real life racing when u see so little of the important stuff (road).

I kind of feel the same way. Starting in FM3 I went to hood view and have not gone back to chase...also not the biggest fan of cockpit view. My biggest reason is that not all cockpits are equal (i.e. some you can see the gauges betters than other, some give you more peripheral view than other and some have working mirrors while others are cropped out) and it does make it tough to gauge your track position at times.

Hood cam all the way for me.

Awong124
29-05-2015, 16:12
Cockpit with wheel and driver turned off. In games where I can't remove the wheel I'll use hood, because I don't like seeing two wheels in front of me. I'd try the helmet cam, but it would be weird because I don't want the wheel displayed, but the TV screen is supposedly my visor... So it would make no sense.

danpinho
29-05-2015, 16:52
Cockpit
FOV: 100%

Goruk
29-05-2015, 17:01
Helmet cam without the helmet and no wheel, and a realistic FOV of 60.
It looks like im in the car with my wheel where it should be.

Proteus Maximus
29-05-2015, 19:27
I use cock-pit view for all racing games. I have tried the helmet-cam for Formula B, which is cool.

mister dog
29-05-2015, 19:32
If you reduce your FOV you can get it to be pretty much like a real driver would see it.

ImStylinOnYaBro
29-05-2015, 19:35
roof cam. i wanted to use helmet, but i can't. i just feel like im sliding all over when the cam looks to apex.

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 19:35
Helmet. Big man ting.

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 19:37

Do some research on FOV calculation. FYI some people have their screen right in front there face.

Praggia
29-05-2015, 19:44
cockpit or helmet cam works best for me
I find I judge my braking zones and turning points a lot more accurately this way
It also feels more immersive and realistic

PureMalt77
29-05-2015, 22:23

Look at some videos on how DTM or NASCAR drivers see the track! I think cockpit view is very realistic. They seat low, and far from windshield.
On F1 (FA) the same, you see so low, that only "half track" is available to you...

IMO, at the end is a matter of taste. Drive with what you like!

JessicaWalter
29-05-2015, 22:25
helmet with helmet, no blur, no hud

PureMalt77
29-05-2015, 22:31
helmet with helmet, no blur, no hud

I kinda like the blur on helmet view, but I miss a setting to adjust how strong the blur is...

Rubrbrnr
29-05-2015, 23:23
Cockpit most of the time, but occasionally I'll switch to helmet or hood, if I can't dial in the cockpit view the way I like it.

Generally I have the driver (arms) and wheel turned off inside the cockpit. Then I have FV set to ~70 with the seat adjusted all the way forward, then I lift and tilt the seat (depends on the car) so that the instruments are just barely visible at the bottom of the screen. I sit about 5' from a 55" screen, and I find this setup gives just about a perfect perspective. Sometimes I wish the seat could be adjusted a bit further forward though..... for more of a 'dash cam' view (McLaren F1, I'm talking to you).

One minor complaint is the (similarly to FFB) the seat settings appear to be specific to each car. So I constantly have to re-map seat adjustment controls to my wheel and tweak those then go and re-assign the buttons back the way they were when I'm done...... for each car..... Between tweaking FFB and viewpoints, I've probably spent less than 50% of my time actually racing, so far..... Hopefully that will change over time (and perhaps with some helpful updates).

apexatspeed
29-05-2015, 23:39
Cockpit view, but I don't lock my lobbies to the interior view. I know some people do though.

Except for the R18 i cop out and use the bumper view. I find it really hard to see anything in that car.

VintageGeo61
30-05-2015, 02:46
Helmet cam zoomed in a bit with the helmet off

madmax2069
30-05-2015, 03:04
Hood cam

awaite85
30-05-2015, 03:19
I was using cockpit, but now i have the T80 and home depot wheel stand. Now it's hood view.

RAVEracer
30-05-2015, 10:04
Helmet cam, currently with helmet on... can't decide if I want it off :D

wicker man
30-05-2015, 10:10
chase cam

Shogun613
30-05-2015, 16:34
Helmet cam with apex look-in, but I switch to the hood view with the closed cockpit prototypes. Its pretty difficult to find the apex in the R18 with any cockpit view.

mantukas334
30-05-2015, 16:43
openwheel tv cockpit, gt's hood

mike12572
30-05-2015, 17:08
Helmet

Pirategenius
30-05-2015, 17:13
Cockpit view for multiplayer. Helmet cam for career with look to corner turned off, as I find it difficult to control the car with the controller with this option turned on.

Frankie_Dibble
31-05-2015, 12:30
I usually use the bonnet view but have switched to helmet cam and find it's so much better :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQrvnfsZS0

Furters
31-05-2015, 13:48
Mostly cockpit, but roof on open wheel cars.

I'm the same. I use cockpit with 100 field of view in closed cars. I'm so used to naturally looking at the apex that if the helmet cam does it too then it puts me off a little. Plus having a wider view lets me see the corners a bit better. I find the cockpit view quite hard in open wheelers as its so low, so I use the one after the cockpit view but before helmet cam as the higher roof cam just seems too high

Pointer7
01-06-2015, 12:59
Hood Cam for me, better view of corner apex's and judging when to dive down the inside for a pass ;)