PDA

View Full Version : Would upgrading the ps4 hard drive improve the games performance slightly ?

pioneer1985
29-05-2015, 11:54
I am thinking of upgrading to a faster hard drive and I know the main benefits would be more storage, faster load times but is it possible that It would improve the games performance even by a little bit.

Anyone that has done this it would be nice to hear your experience of upgrading and whether or not its worth it. I am sure I seen a few xbone users posting that they had a smoother experience installing the game to a faster external hard drive so not sure if it's placebo.

danowat
29-05-2015, 12:09
Load times, yes, actually game performance?, doubtful.

Zenzic
29-05-2015, 12:11
I expect install and loading times might benefit slightly. I don't expect to see significant changes in performance while actually gaming, since code would mostly be loaded in ram.

FoxMulder
29-05-2015, 12:22
If money doesn't matter go ahead and buy an SSD. Otherwise keep the standard HDD. It's just not worth it, not even an SSHD.

PetrolAholic
29-05-2015, 12:52
I installed a Samsung 2TB drive, model number M9T I think?? Basically for more storage as I download a lot of games and the 500gb one was getting full. Now I have loads of room (See pic).

After installing I did notice a (small) improvement on some load times but VERY marginal I think. I have no way of measuring.

pioneer1985
29-05-2015, 12:53
If money doesn't matter go ahead and buy an SSD. Otherwise keep the standard HDD. It's just not worth it, not even an SSHD.

I wouldn't be going that mad just a 1 to 2 terabite 7200rpm drive.

Pirategenius
30-05-2015, 13:25
Thought the M9T was incompatible with the PS4.

Or has that been fixed with the last update?

cwinnbari
30-05-2015, 15:50
There have been a bunch of studies about the subject online, usually load times are slightly better on a SSD. The recommendation usually seems to be to get a hybrid. Load times are close to a SSD but with more storage. Its not too drastic but it saves you a couple seconds

PetrolAholic
31-05-2015, 17:04
Yeah my drive is definitely an M9T. Just took it out to check!!

David McKenna
31-05-2015, 17:47
ha ha people will have you believe that a faster HDD will improve the game, some will say the same about expensive HDMI leads, but no, as my good learned friends have pointed out install times may be slightly faster...that is all.

Vic Flange
07-06-2015, 06:21
I too have installed a larger HDD and concur that there is a slight increase in loading speed but no performance difference once a game is loaded (nor should there be).

MONKEY3._.
07-06-2015, 07:58
It would appear that there is a slight game performance improvement, nothing major though. This artical on eurogamer is a pretty good read. I'm soon going to be purchasing the 2tb Seagate one from this article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

SpaceMachine
08-06-2015, 10:43
I wouldn't be going that mad just a 1 to 2 terabite 7200rpm drive.

Stick with 5400rpm, otherwise you'll increase heat levels - not good.

wyldanimal
08-06-2015, 19:31
I am thinking of upgrading to a faster hard drive and I know the main benefits would be more storage, faster load times but is it possible that It would improve the games performance even by a little bit.

Anyone that has done this it would be nice to hear your experience of upgrading and whether or not its worth it. I am sure I seen a few xbone users posting that they had a smoother experience installing the game to a faster external hard drive so not sure if it's placebo.

No, there would be no Game performance due to replacing the Hard Drive.
None, what so Ever..

Load / start up times might improve with an SSD.
I doubt that you will notice any significant time advantage with a new HDD vs the Standard HDD.

J00N10R
08-06-2015, 19:36
Stick with 5400rpm, otherwise you'll increase heat levels - not good.
An SSD would benefit heat levels significantly.