PDA

View Full Version : monaco/azure tunnel lighting

Rarefaktion
29-05-2015, 12:16
The lighting in the tunnel at monaco is all wrong. Placement is good and it's obvious the ps4 version has reduced light count but the tunnel is lit with orange light and has no dark spot. For some reason the artists have used harsh, white spot lights to light the circuit and it just looks wrong.

lordymatsuo
29-05-2015, 15:41
In general I think lighting has a few issues on a few tracks, lights in grand stands are bright then you get closer (draw distance) the extra shaders/textures are drawn and it looks a bit better.

Also head lights in rear mirror at night, they are too dim, they need to be brighter.

Not noticed the Monaco issue, in the tunnel might go run a race and see how it looks

Jweaver
29-05-2015, 15:43
The lighting in the tunnel at monaco is all wrong. Placement is good and it's obvious the ps4 version has reduced light count but the tunnel is lit with orange light and has no dark spot. For some reason the artists have used harsh, white spot lights to light the circuit and it just looks wrong.

Thats actually a very good point.. When I got PC I went straight to Monaco and was underwhelmed by the tunnel.. I already posted that the audio is wrong with no sign of reverb.. But you are right.. The lighting is wrong too and that doesn't help with the illusion of realism.

Jon

mister dog
29-05-2015, 15:53
Real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITRFS8FCQs

PCARS (skip to 0:38):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZze1Tl1qU

Tunnel should indeed be a bit brighter (white stones), and the orange light after the turn is missing :)

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 16:04
Real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITRFS8FCQs

PCARS (skip to 0:38):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZze1Tl1qU

Tunnel should indeed be a bit brighter (white stones), and the orange light after the turn is missing :)

I agree on the audio guys. We need more reverb there.

But don't confuse a crappy cam resolve with 'how it actually looks'. We've been there, walked it and driven through it about 100 times.

Jweaver
29-05-2015, 16:08

But don't confuse a crappy cam resolve with 'how it actually looks'. We've been there, walked it and driven through it about 100 times.

Problem is, 99.9% of people havn't (including myself) and many never will .. And they want the game to look like how they THINK it looks based on watching 20-30 years of F1 and playing other driving games..

Personally, I much prefer the OTT effect that you get from tunnels in Drive Club, where the exposure changes, which tries to simulate how your eyes would adjust going from sunlight, into semi-darkness. But its only a minor niggle.

At the end of the day, you have dramatic lens flair all throughout the game (which I personally love), so surely the game is hardly accurate to how lighting works in real life?

mister dog
29-05-2015, 16:16
LOUD erection inducing tunnel reverb please :)

Lighting looks very different to me because of the color of the tiles, and you definitely spot the orange lights around the corner whilst it seems absent in the game. Then again i wouldn't have really noticed if it weren't for the OP.

Thanks OP! :grumpy:

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 16:22
LOUD erection inducing tunnel reverb please :)

Lighting looks very different to me because of the color of the tiles, and you definitely spot the orange lights around the corner whilst it seems absent in the game. Then again i wouldn't have really noticed if it weren't for the OP.

Thanks OP! :grumpy:

Ahh, I see, you mean the art. I thought it was all about lighting. We can certainly look at the art yes.

Goresh
29-05-2015, 16:33
"Problem is, 99.9% of people havn't (including myself) and many never will .. And they want the game to look like how they THINK it looks based on watching 20-30 years of F1 and playing other driving games.."

May I suggest you might be wrong on this. IMHO its better to adjust ones perspective based on facts and not preference.

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 16:34
May I suggest you might be wrong on this. IMHO its better to adjust ones perspective based on facts and not preference.

Goresh, use quotes. No one knows who you're talking to.

Goresh
29-05-2015, 16:37
Yes I noticed and was editing when you posted. :)

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 16:47
Yes I noticed and was editing when you posted. :)

Very valid point Goresh.

We have been there, recently. We stayed at the Fairmont, right above the tunnel. We cased the joint for days.

Jweaver
29-05-2015, 17:30

There is no doubt i could be wrong. I am mearly stating my opinion.

My view is that the game should try to emulate the effects of your eyes when going from light to dark and back again.. Looking at a TV screen cant do this, so the transition in/out of the tunnel doesnt seem convincing ( compared to the 100s of other tunnels i have driven through). I find it hard to believe that driving through the Monaco tunnel does not cause a moment of darkness as you enter the tunnel whilst you eyes adjust and then again blindness on the way out as you enter the sunlight again.

Goresh
29-05-2015, 17:57
There is no doubt i could be wrong. I am mearly stating my opinion.

My view is that the game should try to emulate the effects of your eyes when going from light to dark and back again.. Looking at a TV screen cant do this, so the transition in/out of the tunnel doesnt seem convincing ( compared to the 100s of other tunnels i have driven through). I find it hard to believe that driving through the Monaco tunnel does not cause a moment of darkness as you enter the tunnel whilst you eyes adjust and then again blindness on the way out as you enter the sunlight again.

I do agree with that point. And you are right on how the light should be when entering and again exiting the tunnel. I'm going to have to fire up my ps4 and look because I have only did a couple of laps on this circuit. Is this the same on PC and XB too?

Stephen Baysted
30-05-2015, 12:01
We'll be revisiting the amount of reverb to this tunnel imminently.

Rarefaktion
01-06-2015, 18:16
Can we get the orange lights turned on like they are in races please.