PDA

View Full Version : [NOT GP2] Formula B car sounds are way off!

AB_Attack
29-05-2015, 12:27
I was EXCITED :D to find GP2 cars (formula B) in this game since I have long missed the looks and sounds of the old F1 cars (2005-2006) and GP2 are much like them and a replacement. They look and sound sweet in the real world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-yh5fkv5os

...so HOW COME IT DOESN'T IN THE GAME???

It kills me I tell ya :(

Siberian Tiger
29-05-2015, 12:31
The Formula B isn't a exact copy of a GP2 Car ;)

It's more a copy off a: Superleague V12 Formula Car.

But in the end it's a fictional Car with many Art Freedom :)

danowat
29-05-2015, 12:33
Fictional cars can't really be "well off" the real world......

AB_Attack
29-05-2015, 12:34
Well... just gimmi those enginesounds then will ya!

Pretty please? :rolleyes:

Sankyo
29-05-2015, 12:36
Well... just gimmi those enginesounds then will ya!

Pretty please? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the audio team would love to put crappy YouTube sound into the game instead of real-life high-quality engine samples :p. Will make the load on the system a lot smaller...

Daynja
29-05-2015, 12:41
I'm sure the audio team would love to put crappy YouTube sound into the game instead of real-life high-quality engine samples :p. Will make the load on the system a lot smaller...

Real life samples? On some cars perhaps but there are quite a few that sound like they are studio made(from scratch) which sound false/weak/tinny. Can you confirm if all the cars are real recordings?

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 12:42
Real life samples? On some cars perhaps but there are quite a few that sound like they are studio made(from scratch) which sound false/weak/tinny. Can you confirm if all the cars are real recordings?

Confirmed yes.

townnet
29-05-2015, 13:26
Confirmed yes.

Then why it sound horrible? Any plan change new sound engine? Fmod is not good enough.

Sankyo
29-05-2015, 13:27
Then why it sound horrible? Any plan change new sound engine? Fmod is not good enough.

Define 'horrible'?

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 13:29

I disagree it's horrible and it's not a GP2 car, it's fictional.

So I can't really answer your question.

danowat
29-05-2015, 13:29
Define 'horrible'?

adjective

causing or likely to cause horror; shocking.
very unpleasant.

townnet
29-05-2015, 13:40

Sorry for my bad english , or should say it sounds weird? I mean (all cars) external sounds in spectator/replay mode, the sound are suddenly cut off when the car out of the camera view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b14YlAaxEMA

RDogg
29-05-2015, 13:58
While I don't mind the sound of the cars themselves, there is a massive bug that causes audio to skip if cars go by you at speed i.e. While in the put lane, and the sound cuts off very suddenly. If I was to put it into text, it would look something like this..

"Vro.. Vroo .. Vroom .. Vr .. Vroo .. Vroo"

(The dots representing were the sound cuts out and becomes inconsistent).

Weird example I know but it's hard to explain.

TL;DR - It doesn't sound very natural. Although it's only noticeable if say your in the pit lane or maybe going slow as your not on a hot lap. Its like trying to talk someone on the phone as they are about to enter the tunnel kinda thing?

Umer Ahmad
29-05-2015, 14:02
yup, audio stutter is known issue.

See known issue lists in my signature.

AB_Attack
29-05-2015, 14:05

You sure misunderstood the whole idea all the way.

Stephen Baysted
29-05-2015, 14:05

Indeed -

@Townnet it's a V12 engine we've recorded for use in this fictional car.

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 14:22
You sure misunderstood the whole idea all the way.

He didn't misunderstand, he was just playing around.

Basically, the engine sounds are recorded from strategic locations on the engine with professional recording equipment to provide the purest engine sound possible with no other noises/distractions. This provides exactly what the "engine" sounds like. However, this can also make the engine sound "digital" or "over-produced" as some people put it since it will not have the distorted/compressed sound people hear on YouTube videos. The goal is to make the sounds like what you would hear if you were sitting in a car, not what you hear from compressed internet audio which was recorded from non-professional recording equipment.

townnet
29-05-2015, 14:23
adjective

causing or likely to cause horror; shocking.
very unpleasant.

Daynja
30-05-2015, 01:08
Even iRacing used this technique, but despite the real audio sources the pitch always sounds wrong and Im not refering to youtube videos. I ised to watch BTCC and MotoGp when I was younger. The sound is amazing.It fills the air. Cracks of fire from exhausts bounce of solid objects. he cars can be heard all over the track, not just 20 meters away then go silent. You can hear all this from a spectator stand and at times (motogp especially the noise is over whelming in a very good way) Some racers use ear plugs as the noise is so savage and raw and due to high decibels they protect their ears.

Im not expecting the vloumes to blow my ear drums but there never is any of the rawness in games. The closes I have heard to raw audio recroding is the Ferrari 458 GT2 in Assetto Corsa, yet that still has been toned down. Watching race cars from the track side is ear orgasmic, it must be audio bliss inside a race car that reverberates all that rawness on solid metal cahssi and bodywork due to all the internal panels being stripped out. Despite the low quality(flatness of a camera recording) youtube videos you see showing real onboards (especially touring and GT) the sound is correct its just the reverberation and clarity is missing. Real sounds going into a basic mono microphone is whats causing it.The sounds dont change its just more lifeless, 2d if you will.

I wont argue that pCars has fake audio.You say you are using real sound, OK I will not doubt SMS, but can you add more reverb & metalic rawness in cockpit? Can you bounce the sound around granstands on replays, can you up the distance that cars exhausts can be heard? Please

Despite it being a youtube video these are what V12 engines sound like to the audience:

https://youtu.be/5SoZiTxdQyw?t=25s

Sound reverb around the track (spine-tingling stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeUqO2hySs

apexatspeed
30-05-2015, 03:02
Confirmed yes.

Including the R18? Because the sounds that car makes when shifting sounds just like the sounds turbo charged cars made in Need for Speed Shift. Seems a little suspicious.

madmax2069
30-05-2015, 03:08
Hey at least the engine sounds in Project cars dont sound like the crap in Gran Turismo, now thats what you call horrible.

Including the R18? Because the sounds that car makes when shifting sounds just like the sounds turbo charged cars made in Need for Speed Shift. Seems a little suspicious.

The R18 is a turbo diesel, it has a unique sound, and I think they pretty much nailed it when running up in the higher revs, the only thing that doesnt sound correct on it is when at idle (it lacks the typical diesel knock when at idle/low RPM).

apexatspeed
30-05-2015, 03:24
Hey at least the engine sounds in Project cars dont sound like the crap in Gran Turismo, now thats what you call horrible.

The R18 is a turbo diesel, it has a unique sound, and I think they pretty much nailed it when running up in the higher revs, the only thing that doesnt sound correct on it is when at idle (it lacks the typical diesel knock when at idle/low RPM).

I know exactly what kind of engine the old R18 had. I am specifically talking about the sound on shifts. Have you played NFS Shift?

Ryzza5
30-05-2015, 08:00
iRacing used this technique

Check the credits - same guy :)

NVI0U5
30-05-2015, 08:33
Well if you could turn my Formula A car into a 26B Rotary that would be great!! I love my rotors and if you can change it so it bounces off the walls and grandstand would be fantastic, the idle I would prefer bridgeport or peripheral port but needs to exactly right on par, cos my super sensitive ears can pickup even on an extend mild port. So um yeah can you do it? It will make the game so much more real for me if you could...