PDA

View Full Version : Rain effect

ELAhrairah
29-05-2015, 14:30
So I have been comparing the rain effects in race or semi-race sims or just casual race games. The rain effects and wet weather is in my opinion pretty good but I must say compared to the rain effects in the game driveclub still a bit behind.

I am very content with pCars so fan boys hold your boners this isn't ment as criticism but as a simple and honest question.

Dear developers, can we expect rain effects in the future that can measure themselves with the effects in driveclub or is it a pCars 2 thing?

An example of driveclub rain:

http://youtu.be/qRV8hb9EEl8

Smegsterman
29-05-2015, 14:37
From that video as not played driveclub looks like its more 'effect' than interacting with car in way pcars handling changes etc and don't like the smudged screen from 3rd person (but hate 3rd person view anyway needs to die)
Also roads tend to puddle more than racetracks as they have better run off.....picky I know.
Does look good but in terms of preference prefer pcars - my opinion obviously based on that vid :)

ELAhrairah
29-05-2015, 14:38
Did you see the cockpit view?

Umer Ahmad
29-05-2015, 14:47
There is a planned future update for pCARS to bring something like the DriveClub "windscreen rain" effect. Agree, Drive Club did it well.

**NOTICE** @ 0:20 Drive Club has ZERO rain particles (we also call it "spray") from the rear of the cars! Project CARS ALREADY has this "spray" effect. So Drive Club also needs to catch-up to project cars in their rain effect in some areas

Smegsterman
29-05-2015, 14:48
Yes, I like the water swaying across as wiper hits it but visually if your on track in race would you actually notice that? the hit would be large to fps.

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 14:49
We're a multi-platform game running at (mostly) 60FPS. Driveclub is a 1st party PS4 exclusive running at 30 FPS.

Having said that, we are going to try until it kills us to wedge physically based raindrop movements into the consoles and also improve the framerate simultaneously.

ELAhrairah
29-05-2015, 14:51
I would have been happy with pCars 2 but this is even better

TimN
29-05-2015, 14:51
From that video as not played driveclub looks like its more 'effect' than interacting with car in way pcars handling changes etc and don't like the smudged screen from 3rd person (but hate 3rd person view anyway needs to die)
Also roads tend to puddle more than racetracks as they have better run off.....picky I know.
Does look good but in terms of preference prefer pcars - my opinion obviously based on that vid :)

very good point there, just watched the vid and you came back onto the main straight at 150kph. with that much standing water at that speed in real life you would of ended up in the barrier. There's a difference i suppose between effect/looking nice, and being functional/real.

Bealdor
29-05-2015, 14:52
Did you see the cockpit view?

AFAIK there are plans to improve the windscreen rain effects. :)

The Driveclub comparison comes up quite often so I just want to give you some reasons why it is ahead of PCARS in certain graphic areas:

First party developer
Single platform title
30 fps(!)
Only 12 cars on track
Much less sophisticated driving model

Edit: Wow, multi ninja'd...

Sankyo
29-05-2015, 15:04
Having said that, we are going to try until it kills us to wedge physically based raindrop movements into the consoles and also improve the framerate simultaneously.
Windscreen cleaning fluid spray? :onthego:

marcainley
29-05-2015, 15:51
My personal opinion is that the rain looks pretty good, I'm just not keen on how the rain drops are displayed on the camera 'lens'.

They're too clear and pristine, and in my opinion should look similar to how they look in Codemasters' F1 games where they're out of focus.

dustyjo
29-05-2015, 18:54
Windscreen cleaning fluid spray? :onthego:

I can't wait for the Rain-X DLC.

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 19:09
We're a multi-platform game running at (mostly) 60FPS. Driveclub is a 1st party PS4 exclusive running at 30 FPS.

But then the PS4 will explode.

Francorchamps
29-05-2015, 20:15
It took Driveclub a while to get the weather system running. I like the weather effect in Drivecluk but the thunderstorms are a bit over the top. But hey it's Driveclub. It's a very well done arcade racer that looks very stunning for an arcade racer.

wraithsrike
29-05-2015, 20:59
The windshield affects in drive club are second to none there is no denying that, the wash across the screen in heavy rain is amazing.

gp20
29-05-2015, 21:03
**NOTICE** @ 0:20 Drive Club has ZERO rain particles (we also call it "spray") from the rear of the cars! Project CARS ALREADY has this "spray" effect. So Drive Club also needs to catch-up to project cars in their rain effect in some areas
+1
And the way the rain fall is not realistic in cockpit view. PC does it better.

The rain is not bad at all in PC, i just miss the marks on the road.

gp20
29-05-2015, 21:08

Perhaps having 30fps constant was not a bad idea.

Improving the framerate? With the last 1% of CPU? ;)

Mancunain
29-05-2015, 21:08
I can't wait for the Rain-X DLC.

lol, you nailed it :) race drivers prob all use that gear now dont they ?
If anybody ever used it, or similar.. there is no rain on your screen :) it freaked me out tbh.. was driving, tired (young clubbing days !) on motorway in semi-dark.. i had to tell ppl to look.. i could see rain in the headlights, but nothing on window.. was a freaky 30secs or so.. only found out next day about the gear u can wipe on :)

Not turned rain drops on yet on settings, they are off as default.. but racing wise i saw no problem.. i use cockpit or helmet cam so although i hate it when i see the rain, i enjoy turning the wipers on xD
Seems ok, and i dont want the screen blurred where the wipers dont touch.. is hard enough seeing sometimes anyway with roll cages and window columns xD
If you do, you cant go half hearted and just make it blurred, you'd have to make it travel up screen with wind.. effects that would be certainly epic for a minute or 2, but surely hardly be noticed after that and take up too many places in the memory queue and potential to end up spoiling gameplay unless we all have super pc rigs.

Use helmet cam and you wont notice rain on your windows ;)

NemethR
29-05-2015, 23:54

No offense, but why do we PC gamers have to always suffer becuase of the conlose players?!

Don't get me wrong, I seriously do not care if the PS4 can't handle it, my 4 year old PC can!
I repeat: My 4 year old PC performs better, then a brand new PS4.

For those who care: Intel Core i7-870; 16GB RAM, nVidia GF GTX770 OC 2GB - yes that is new, had a GTX480 originally, but unfortunately that died on me.

Kruleworld
30-05-2015, 00:08
Yes, I like the water swaying across as wiper hits it but visually if your on track in race would you actually notice that? the hit would be large to fps.

they've already animated the water on the windshield in pcars, it may be just a matter of changing the way the animation looks. Not that i expect them to bother for such a minor tweak.

TrevorAustin
30-05-2015, 00:09
No offense, but why do we PC gamers have to always suffer becuase of the conlose players?!

Don't get me wrong, I seriously do not care if the PS4 can't handle it, my 4 year old PC can!
I repeat: My 4 year old PC performs better, then a brand new PS4.

For those who care: Intel Core i7-870; 16GB RAM, nVidia GF GTX770 OC 2GB - yes that is new, had a GTX480 originally, but unfortunately that died on me.

Pays the bills and good multi platform is an achievement

Xereau
30-05-2015, 01:24
Imho, I think the droplets in the rain effect on the camera in Drive Club are too small. When watching top gear or a race in the rain on TV, I've always remember the droplets being bigger than that because of the size and angle of the lenses on the cameras. The droplets on the windows though, I totally agree, they need an update.

Does anyone remember Xpand rally? I didn't actually get to play that game much, but I do remember that the water effects on the windshields of the car as were absolutely fantastic, even for a game that's what, 6 or 8 years old now? they even managed to get that "evaporating smear " of the water as the wiper blades made their pass.