PDA

View Full Version : How to control oversteer with controler ???

IzNoGood
29-05-2015, 15:04
I detect a slide, lift off the throttle,contersteer trying to settle down a car but the wheels keep spining and spining and spining and that lead into a total spinout ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
:culpability::mad:

kaa0s
29-05-2015, 15:24
Lifting off the throttle is what gets you in trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbg5ZIZgFVs

TimN
29-05-2015, 15:31
i havnt got a racing licence or anything but i know a little bit.

Lifting to far of the throttle can be worst as your cause lift off over steer, which can be very hard to stop. with a controller its gonna be hard, only practice and time will help. You have to think about getting the car around the corner as smooth as possible.

Imagine the weight of the car, when you brake it moves forward. the corner weight moves to lowers under the pressure, which can cause more grip temporarily. but as it continues to build the tyre lets go. the rear of the car is still trying to go around and so a slid starts, you steer into it but it has to be the correct amount or you will steer to far and the rear will start to go the other way. so your natural reaction is to lift of, which only makes the weight transfer worst and before you know it you in a world of pain

The aim of driving fast is no sudden movements with any of the inputs, steering, accelerator, brake. Anything sudden is called shock loading, where you load the tyre up to fast and cause it lose adhesion to the road. Try to be smooth. Start out slow and build the lap time. from each corner remember brake once, turn once, accelerate once.
some on on here rightly said, slow in, fast out is more important. that means slow the car more before the corner and get a good drive out.

IzNoGood
29-05-2015, 21:19
I try everything and every time I go to slide its spining all the time,if the car go to slide the only thing I can do is to put down controler and watch :(

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 21:20
I try everything and every time I go to slide its spining all the time,if the car go to slide the only thing I can do is to put down controler and watch :(

Turn on opposite lock help until you get used to it.

IzNoGood
29-05-2015, 21:20
Its the same ...throttle on or off

IzNoGood
29-05-2015, 21:26
I'm driving without aids,every settings that I apply it's the same....if the car go to slide the tires keep spining all the time with throttile or without,there is no differnce,inpsible to save the car until you completely stop ?????

Elmo
29-05-2015, 21:26
A good car to practice oversteer with is the Mercedes SLS Road Car. It has a long wheel base and fat, grippy rear tires which makes controlling a slide relatively easy.

Go out on a track that features long sweeping corners with plenty of run-off area, like Dubai International and practice, practice, practice :)

IzNoGood
29-05-2015, 21:36
I agree :) practice is mother of driving :) but its inpossible,problem is in spining tires and I can't control that,if I lose rear end its game over !

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 22:36
A poorly setup chassis will hop or push its tyres. Short shift and use the controls gently until you get to adjust the car. I found turning the steering ratio down may help, but can hamper direction changes. Hope that helps.

I have a Formula A training rig on a thread somewhere on here! I will update the tune over time, the changes will help, in time, with improvements and explanations of why they worked.

transfix
30-05-2015, 10:47
Iznogood it is really a fine line between throttle and break to control the over/understeer. Try getting used to feathering the break while still giving a bit of throttle. Like others mentioned lifting of is the worse thing.
Also I know with controllers we tend to move the joystick too much when coming into a corner whereas with a wheel its a much smoother motion.

PropaneCrazy
30-05-2015, 13:13
Have you tried altering the Diff?

IzNoGood
30-05-2015, 15:27
Yea I try diff setings but nothing change...

Mr Akina
30-05-2015, 16:14
I detect a slide, lift off the throttle,contersteer trying to settle down a car but the wheels keep spining and spining and spining and that lead into a total spinout ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm assuming you're on PC as you profile says, but it's the same for me on the Xbone. You need to know why you're losing traction and getting oversteer. Is it a bump? Is it too much power on exit? Is it on the way into the corner?

As mentioned, one problem is that you're lifting off. By lifting off the power, you are shifting the weight towards the front of the car, making the rear 'light' and that won't give you any friction to control it. By feathering the throttle (keeping 20% throttle on) you are keeping the balance of the car more neutral, but crucially, weight over the rear axle.

Regardless, correcting it on the controller is an unnatural process. Your instinct is to flick the stick in the opposite direction, but that will usually result in over-correcting it; then a crash. You're better off feathering the throttle and then move the thumbstick so the wheels go back to neutral (pointing straight forward). If there's power on, a car wants to go straight, so any input from the stick will result in the car being uncontrollable. So rather than moving the stick wildly to correct, just ease it back to the centre.

Remember, slick tyres have way more grip than street tyres in the real world. There is a very fine balance of grip and if you ever see a race car out of shape (not controlled power-oversteer), they rarely recover the spin; the same is true in pCARS. There's probably no magic solution to your problem, so it's a case of practicing.

Try putting the steering sensitivity to 65-70 with the filter at 45 to give you a heavier feeling. Sometimes the steering is too light and it's easy to lose it.

IzNoGood
30-05-2015, 18:31
I'm on Playstation 4 :) thank you...I will try with steering sensitivity setings

TimN
30-05-2015, 21:18
Are you using the automatic gear box?

hkraft300
31-05-2015, 09:19
Turn on opposite lock help until you get used to it.

Don't recommend it! Generally feels too unnatural and, like stability control, will mask the effects of one's poor driving techniques.

I use DS4 controller and catching oversteer on Formula A cars consistently is possible. You won't always catch it, but your chances get better with practice.

With a high enough steering ratio (Alignment settings, mine are ~10-13.5:1 depending on track), steering/throttle/brake sensitivity (not too slow. mine are set ~30 but more may help), the car will react fast enough to your inputs to catch a slide.

the practice teaches you the moment the rears let go, so you react quicker to it. So when the oversteer begins, you have to react fast enough to countersteer and catch/control the slide. If your steering ratio is 20:1 and sensitivity is 5, even if you counter fast at the controller, by the time your input translates to the front wheels in the game, it's too late.

MULTIVITZ
31-05-2015, 09:51
With my Dubia setup on the training Rig, you can 'get the back out' and bring it back now with the correctly set diff. We will be talking about some more reasons why this happens and how its our best friend in some instances, at the next session. You can start it any time, but completing the Super Kart Championship is mandatory. imho controller or wheel.

IzNoGood
31-05-2015, 12:19
Automatic gear box...

hkraft300
31-05-2015, 20:42
With my Dubia setup on the training Rig, you can 'get the back out' and bring it back now with the correctly set diff. We will be talking about some more reasons why this happens and how its our best friend in some instances, at the next session. You can start it any time, but completing the Super Kart Championship is mandatory. imho controller or wheel.

umm.. what?

Just so we're clear, the OP is:

Automatic gear box...

Manual/auto generally not an issue. Although I'd recommend using manual because you have the option to short-shift to avoid the spin in the first place. Also the momentary disruption of torque (including the effect of engine braking) to the wheels, while at the limit of grip during a turn, can also induce oversteer, so manual allows you to avoid unwanted shifts.

MULTIVITZ
01-06-2015, 09:36
Ummm.............

...........no.
His moments are too fast in his cars chassis, you'd need the reactions of a fly to catch his back end.
Soften it up the have the front rebound higher than the rear. Also a weak front ARB can spin ya! Check out my ARB post to understand a little more. Hope this helps. This aint F@#$@!

SpaceMachine
01-06-2015, 09:57
Automatic gear box...

Learn how to drive with manual gears - it will make things so much easier :)

danowat
01-06-2015, 10:05
In my experience with the game, the best way to control oversteer with the controller is not to try, there is some kind of crossover issue that means any countersteering will be too much too soon, and you'll snap back, the sensitivity scale is a bit bonkers when it comes to fast corrections of steering, there should really be less sensitivity or some kind of steering damper.

Best course of action is to just release the throttle and steering, let the car settle and then carry on.

And oversteer correction help actually makes the whole thing worse.

TimN
01-06-2015, 14:04
like hkraft300 said, its worth your time learning to use manual. That will solve the most part of your troubles, because you can short shift. so instead of struggling in to low a gear, and too much power going to the wheels, you can shift up and kill the mountain of power that's trying to escape through the wheels.
sounds counter productive going to a higher gear just as you need the power to leave the corner, but its better to drive out the corner with no wheel spin, than be wheel spinning the whole way round and partly up the road. if you dont spin out that is.

hkraft300
01-06-2015, 17:52
Ummm.............
..........no.
His moments are too fast in his cars chassis, you'd need the reactions of a fly to catch his back end.
Soften it up the have the front rebound higher than the rear. Also a weak front ARB can spin ya! Hope this helps. This aint F@#$@!

So how do you think drifters catch slides in ANY car? Or racers catch and control exit slides in cars setup to NOT drift? Reaction time. Almost of a fly.
Side note: Human eye-to-hand reaction times have been recorded at below 0.2 seconds (average 0.75). Touch reaction times are even faster, it's why you retract your hand so fast when you touch something hot.
Have you not managed to catch a slide ever in your life? how did you manage that if, according to you, it's so impossible?
It's why in my first post, I recommended faster steering ratio and controller sensitivity to decrease the reaction time between his thumb hitting the stick to counter-steer and the front wheels in game going to opposite lock angle - when the slide has ALREADY commenced.

Your post (quoted in this post) is about prevention of the oversteer moment, which I agree with as a preventative.

OP is asking how to control it once its already sliding.

RunsWithScissors
03-06-2015, 11:44
A few things you gotta make sure of

1.) You have the right amount of speed
2.) You slowly let off the gas, and then play with the throttle
3.) When you are slid all the way out as far as the turn will allow; counter steer and gas all the way out until you start to spin, then let go and tap the gas quickly.

http://plays.tv/video/55671a6a933d5b3992

MULTIVITZ
03-06-2015, 12:37
Drifting on slicks? I forgot its tyres are specials sorry. Not the fastest way, especially when the tyres glaze up after a few turns? If you didn't have so much understeer you wouldn't have to be so violent with the steeeing imo. Still it looked good and they should be driven like it. Thanks for sharing. Now go and drive like that on the ring!
I've been doing some testing in the fords and I find a fast steering ratio is needed on all of them! Otherwise the avatar gets limp wristed! Im running 45 as my speed sense setting, how are people enjoying these fine cars??