PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to get better at racing?

HarryHoodlum
29-05-2015, 16:04
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing all the right things, but seem to wind up in the back of the field more often than not. I suspect that I need to improve my downshifting skills, as when I break late, I tend to downshift from 5/6th to 2/3rd really fast, which causes me to lose control/speed. I don't use a racing line, because then I feel like I'm playing "chase the arrows" vs actually learning the tracks. But I think somehow I still can't figure out the best lines and braking zones.

Any tips are appreciated

Umer Ahmad
29-05-2015, 16:06
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast

Ofuscor
29-05-2015, 18:16
By what you are telling us, I think what is happening is that you are downshifting so fast that you are making the wheels loose traction. Downshifting should be gradual so that you hear the engine rev up after getting down one gear, revs go up again when the engine starts to get calm another gear and so on. If your engine is hitting the rev limiter you are downshifting too fast.

ShiftingLanes
29-05-2015, 18:28
By what you are telling us, I think what is happening is that you are downshifting so fast that you are making the wheels loose traction. Downshifting should be gradual so that you hear the engine rev up after getting down one gear, revs go up again when the engine starts to get calm another gear and so on. If your engine is hitting the rev limiter you are downshifting too fast.

Agree with this. You should be on the brakes well before you start downshifting in every instance.

jsydave
29-05-2015, 18:31
It's counter intuitive but try braking earlier. You'll carry more speed out the corner which is worth more time. (Although a block-pass now and again is entirely necessary!)

PureMalt77
29-05-2015, 20:32
of course, the car makes a big difference. I used to drive F1 games in the past, so you brake late and shift fast... now driving GT, Road and other non-formula cars, as posted by jsydave and ShiftingLanes, you need to review your breaking/shifting pattern.

I just raced Watkin Glen with the Mustang Cobra. The car is damn fast, reaching very high top speeds, but it does not break and take cornes like a formula car! Where you could hit the brake at 100m with FA, here we are talking about 400-300m depending on the tyres...

Martini Da Gasalini
29-05-2015, 22:33
By what you are telling us, I think what is happening is that you are downshifting so fast that you are making the wheels loose traction.

Shiftlock ;)

BDR Daz
29-05-2015, 23:33
It's counter intuitive but try braking earlier. You'll carry more speed out the corner which is worth more time. (Although a block-pass now and again is entirely necessary!)

I agree with this, its also about being as smooth as you can on the triggers both braking and accelerating, try to learn where the optimum braking point is on your trigger (where the wheels are about to lock up) when you have figured that out you will learn to only pull the trigger that far

that along with smooth downshifts will help you out

HarryHoodlum
30-05-2015, 17:38
Cool these are pretty good tips. I'm sort of a noob with racing stuff in real life. My only experience with realistic racing is GT and FM and that's not saying much.

daddyboosive
30-05-2015, 17:59
You just need to be ballsy sometimes instead of just driving to get round the track consistently. I'm a big believer in learning from your mistakes. If you're at the back all the time. Take a positive from that and try and use the space and lack of pressure you have. To see where the limit is. If you go wide etc. You know to break sooner. I often try to use markers like posts or stuff like that. To gauge where to break.

Dreco
30-05-2015, 18:13
This is a great video that gets passed around to pretty much all newbies in iRacing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM