PDA

View Full Version : Never owned a wheel before

Mario Navarrete
29-05-2015, 20:10
Now that Pcars is out I would like to buy a wheel, problem is im not sure which one to get. budget is not an issue but ideally i would like to keep it under $500.00. I play on PC, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Siempie89
29-05-2015, 20:18
I'm still loving my Logitech G27. If you're planning on building an awesome cockpit it might not be the one for you.

k.merse
29-05-2015, 20:25
Well, you have 3 major choices: Logitech, Thrustmaster or Fanatec
Logitech G27 is a pretty solid wheel and it is very cheap. it comes with everything, three pedals and a shifter. Logitech wheels are solid and reliable, but their force feedback is slightly behind the competition at the moment.
Thrustmaster produces maybe the best wheels when it comes to force feedback. The T500 RS is a massive wheel with excellent pedals, its only issue may be that it's getting old and Thrustmaster has newer wheels on the market. T300 RS is more professional and uses innovative brushless motors, but it comes with slightly worse pedals. The main advantage of Thrustmaster is that it makes modular wheels, which means that you can buy a wheel, then you can buy tons of add-ons to it. Different rims, pedal sets, shifters etc.
Fanatec is an absolutely premium-quality wheel. They work closely together with Porsche so they sell their licensed wheels. Fanatec wheels are very precise and solid, and the pedals are by far the bests on the market. Downside of Fanatec wheels is that there are usually only a few buttons on them (you gonna miss them especially in Formula cars). Fanatec brings modular to a whole new level, as they offer far more add-ons to their wheels than Thrustmaster. But as it is a premium make, a whole set of wheelbase, rim, pedals and shifter of the same quality as a high-end Thrustmaster set costs about twice as much.
So if you really want something awesome and money isn't an issue, go for Fanatec. If you want excellent quality for still a somewhat affordable price, buy a Thrustmaster T300 RS and upgrade your pedal set to a custom one later. If you want a cheaper wheel and plan to upgrade later to a more professional one, buy a Logitech G27 which has the best quality/price ratio at the moment on the market.

Dorny
29-05-2015, 20:30
I would wait till the Logitech G29 is properly announced, there's already been leaked shots of it.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/318504/Report%3A+Logitech's+new+G29+Racing+Wheel+detailed/

The Logitech range of wheels have always been the best wheels for the price range. Obviously Fanatec and thrustmaster have nicer wheels but they come with a much higher price tag.

Baron_Greenback
29-05-2015, 20:31
Happy G27 owner here. I have no plans on upgrading until it dies.

badkarma
29-05-2015, 20:31
Currently I have a Logitech G27 wheel with CSR Inverted Elite pedals from http://www.fanatec.com

To me the pedals are the most important, especially the brake...make sure you get a load cell braking system (measures pressure vs position) I would also look at Fanatec for the wheel.

LordDRIFT
29-05-2015, 20:36
You have the budget and room to breathe for the t300 and upgraded pedals (if you get t300 @ msrp) DoweeeT!! Forget about the golden unicorns.

Mario Navarrete
29-05-2015, 20:39
I would wait till the Logitech G29 is properly announced, there's already been leaked shots of it.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/318504/Report%3A+Logitech's+new+G29+Racing+Wheel+detailed/

The Logitech range of wheels have always been the best wheels for the price range. Obviously Fanatec and thrustmaster have nicer wheels but they come with a much higher price tag.

Sources close to Logitech have offered up some details on the firm's newest racing wheel.

Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC.

Baron_Greenback
29-05-2015, 21:26
Sources close to Logitech have offered up some details on the firm's newest racing wheel.

Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC.

The problem is that it looks like it was made by fisher price.

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 21:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPWsvO1EPA

Dorny
29-05-2015, 21:37

I doubt logitech would make it PS4/PS3 only, all the info we know about it are rumours. I would wait till E3

John Hargreaves
29-05-2015, 21:47
Probably one of the most important things you need is a good solid desk/rig to bolt it to. Things can get pretty lively.

Mario Navarrete
29-05-2015, 21:58
Probably one of the most important things you need is a good solid desk/rig to bolt it to. Things can get pretty lively.

i have a home theatre pc setup with wireless xbox controller for now. i have a solid single shee of glass coffee table that is ...heavy, 1.5 inches thick and solid (that's what she said)

Siempie89
30-05-2015, 15:07
You can also get something like a Wheel Stand Pro if your current table doesn't work for you and you don't want to spend money on a PlaySeat.

Ranger099
30-05-2015, 15:40
I own a G27 (selling it), T500RS (also selling) and Thrustmaster TX. The TX is my favorite with the new leather wheel add-on. It has the smoothest FFB of the 3 with the most detail. The t500RS is a more robust piece of equipment with a much more powerful motor. Most would probably put it ahead of the TX so ymmv.