PDA

View Full Version : [OMG] Michigan stroke patient needs assistance

vbowers
29-05-2015, 21:03
Two years ago I suffered a stroke. Before this time, I had enjoyed sprint kart racing and NHRA drag racing, driving in both series. I bowed out because of family and work conflicts, but planned to get back into racing at or near retirement. Well, the stroke has retired me and, unfortunately, the doctors will not allow me to go racing.

I *may* be able to get my racing fix through something like Project CARS. The "gotcha" is that some visual events, like driving at night with large snowflakes coming down at a moderate clip, has caused me to have some problems. Problems that aren't severe, but come on relatively quickly and can last for an hour or more.

I think I would be fine, but my doctors are on the fence about it. Before shelling out for Project CARS and a decent force feedback steering wheel/pedals system (+$200), I would really appreciate the opportunity to visit someone with the simulation and force feedback system, to give it a test drive and see if it will cause me problems or if I will be fine.

I would be happy to travel up to 2 hours one way to give this a try. I live in the Grand Rapids area. If I can provide additional information to help someone be comfortable with inviting me in, please ask and I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for listening!

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 21:06
Unfortunately, I'm more than two hours from Michigan or I would be more than happy to let you try out my rig with pCARS. I hope someone can help. Good luck!

oRuin
29-05-2015, 21:12
Sorry to hear that. Hope you manage to find someone, and hope you get into Pcars!

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 21:13
Two years ago I suffered a stroke. Before this time, I had enjoyed sprint kart racing and NHRA drag racing, driving in both series. I bowed out because of family and work conflicts, but planned to get back into racing at or near retirement. Well, the stroke has retired me and, unfortunately, the doctors will not allow me to go racing.

I *may* be able to get my racing fix through something like Project CARS. The "gotcha" is that some visual events, like driving at night with large snowflakes coming down at a moderate clip, has caused me to have some problems. Problems that aren't severe, but come on relatively quickly and can last for an hour or more.

I think I would be fine, but my doctors are on the fence about it. Before shelling out for Project CARS and a decent force feedback steering wheel/pedals system (+$200), I would really appreciate the opportunity to visit someone with the simulation and force feedback system, to give it a test drive and see if it will cause me problems or if I will be fine.

I would be happy to travel up to 2 hours one way to give this a try. I live in the Grand Rapids area. If I can provide additional information to help someone be comfortable with inviting me in, please ask and I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for listening!

I've passed this to Vit to give you a free Steam code.

Vittorio Rapa
29-05-2015, 21:18
Sent, welcome aboard vbowers.

Mancunain
29-05-2015, 21:21
All the best mate.. out of all the games around, this one should suit your driving style better if you raced in the real world.. im no expert driver, but the game physics are very good imo
the game has many visual settings, im sure u can mess around with some of them to tailor your needs.. and ye, hope to see you on the track bud :)

wraithsrike
29-05-2015, 21:27
Welcome to the forum fella, hang tough mate and I hope you get on well with the game, you really couldn't ask for a better game or team imho.

Mario Navarrete
29-05-2015, 21:29

That is F-ING amazing chewie, you guys rock!!!!

TrevorAustin
29-05-2015, 22:50
That's an awesome idea, I've got a redundant Fanatec GT2 wheel I was going to ebay I can ship to you if somebody else has some pedals?

My Dad recently had a mild stroke and I'd love to help.

CustomInternals
29-05-2015, 23:10
It's great to see the community helping each other out. I would let you try it out but I am almost 5 hours away. Seems like someone in Chicago or Detroit would be your best bet. Either way you already got a free Steam key which is awesome to see! Hopefully you can find a local that has a setup you can try or borrow. The wheel I'm currently using is being borrowed from a friend of mine until mine gets here. Hopefully you can maybe find someone in a similar situation (multiple wheel/pedal setups) local to you. If your capable of playing I would be more than happy to throw some money in a pot if anyone is interested to try to hook you up with a wheel/pedal setup. I hear the best bang for your buck is a G27 and they are decently priced too. Message me if you need anything. It's hard to keep up with every thread but a message I'll be notified of. Good Luck!!!

BDR Daz
29-05-2015, 23:24
Great to see how the community and the Devs can step up to the plate and help a guy out !!

I hope that this is a workable solution for you to get your racing fix ! I had to give up motorsport due to risk of injury (my work dont like it) and I can assure you a good race on this in some good lobbies will give you the fix you need !!

Hope to read this soon with you taking the plunge !!

vbowers
30-05-2015, 20:27
Trevor,
Thank you for your offer, that is really awesome. I don't know this wheel system. Are compatible pedals hard to come by? I certainly can afford to invest some money into this, I just hated the thought of spending US$250 plus, only to find it brings on symptoms and being unable to play. I also know nothing about what would be involved on the shipping side.

FYI, I was IT Director for a large US movie theater chain at the time of my stroke. Isn't it great getting paid to do something you love to do anyway? Hope your Dad is doing well. Everyday things for me are fine, it's just some of these weird things involving harder concentration that flatten me.

vbowers
30-05-2015, 20:42
I am speechless! This is extremely nice of you all. The response from the forum members and the company has been amazing. I am very much looking forward to experiencing the simulation. I am looking forward to recruiting some of my friends to pick up pCars so we can race together.

Again, thank you so much!

TrevorAustin
30-05-2015, 20:56
Trevor,
Thank you for your offer, that is really awesome. I don't know this wheel system. Are compatible pedals hard to come by? I certainly can afford to invest some money into this, I just hated the thought of spending US$250 plus, only to find it brings on symptoms and being unable to play. I also know nothing about what would be involved on the shipping side.

FYI, I was IT Director for a large US movie theater chain at the time of my stroke. Isn't it great getting paid to do something you love to do anyway? Hope your Dad is doing well. Everyday things for me are fine, it's just some of these weird things involving harder concentration that flatten me.

Hey no problem, any usb or fanatec wheels will work. Its a reasonably high end whee l so should be a good experience for you.

My dad has pretty much fully recovered qmand is fine. Just brings it home to you!

If you private message me your address or ask the mods to email it to me I'll get it shipped over:)

Umer Ahmad
30-05-2015, 21:26
there should be a TigerDirect or Best Buy near you. Purchas a wheel there, hang on to the receipt. If you like it, keep it. If not, you got 10 days to bring it back to the store for a full refund.

Hardware purchases are much less risky than software/movies.

E30_Hntsvl
30-05-2015, 21:31
I have medical problems also and get my fix, now with pCars, but always with sims.

I have some Fanatec pedals, and Fanatec shifters, I can toss your way.

TrevorAustin
30-05-2015, 22:32
I have medical problems also and get my fix, now with pCars, but always with sims.

I have some Fanatec pedals, and Fanatec shifters, I can toss your way.

That should be sorted with my wheel. So you're all set.

Irishnewblood
31-05-2015, 00:36

You are an absolute gentleman mate. You and your company have just right this moment smashed every other game company not only game wise but morally too. I can genuinely tell you right now I will support you and every game,dlc and add-on you release along with Pcars2 when it is being developed. To the rest of the community, this has nothing to do with me but I just really wanna say outstanding and bravo, this isn't a life or death situation and to see everyone pull together for the good of an unfortunate racer is incredible. Well done guys.

Xereau
31-05-2015, 03:11
May I suggest watching a PCars Twitch stream for a while to see if anything onscreen causes an issue for you? At the least, it will get you familiarized more with the game before you get yourself all set up. Let me know when you're ready to run, because I'll be online running races in the evenings during the week. I'd be glad to run with you.

Panjandrum
31-05-2015, 04:42
I am in Grand Haven and also suffered a stroke (at age 39, caused by a VAD / whiplash injury. I made an incredibly quick recovery (was skiing again in 3 weeks) and eventually made a 99% recovery, but at the time of the stroke I could not even walk. Regardless, hold out for some hope). I also recently met a man living up the street who has similar story to yours (used to race, etc.) So this seems like a common issue! I think racing simulators (mostly GT4 at the time) were partly responsible for my quick recovery.

I have a T500 racing wheel and nice setup on DLP projector. I run my own little business, so I can arrange my hours somewhat and will be happy to have you over to give this a try sometime next week. I'll send you an Personal Message with more info.

I also do autocross and ice-racing (solo events), enduro kart races, etc., with a well-known west-michigan club (The Furrin group). Because this club is not SCCA you *might* be able to come out and do autocross or other activities with us. You need a valid driver's license, and obviously you need to be safe. It's worth a try. Come to an event and discuss your situation with Curt, our speed coordinator. Virtual racing is fun, but Autocross is a blast...

TrevorAustin
31-05-2015, 11:47
Hi Vance,

Sorted shipping and the wheel should get picked up tomorrow and with you maybe by the weekend.

E30_Hntsvl
31-05-2015, 18:06
I'll box up the CSR pedals and shifters and get them off tomorrow.

Daynja
31-05-2015, 18:32
This thread made me all warm and fuzzy.

Three cheers to Ian & the team for their gift & another three for the guys sending the wheel & pedals!!

And no seeing the word Three does not indicate that Valve are releasing Half life 3. Behave yourself you crazy people :)

Or perhaps Im the nutcase

vbowers
31-05-2015, 20:17
This has been an amazing ride. I came out to this forum hoping that maybe I could find someone who might be willing to let a stranger visit them to try out this game that I'm hoping might help me safely satisfy my itch to race, which I can no longer do in real life. Probably a long shot, but maybe someone out there would help.

What I have found instead is an amazing group of people who are caring, supportive, and generous beyond words. I am visiting a forum member this Friday to try pCars on his setup, along with some other titles, Ian has provided me with a Steam code for the game, and two other incredibly generous forum members are sending me some of their spare equipment for me to race with. My wife has gone from being skeptical to looking forward to me getting involved with this community. Neither of us can believe the wonderful people I have encountered here. I am looking to recruit some of my friends to come over and try the game once I am set up and get them involved as well.

My wife and I want to thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts. I started out on this journey looking to try Project Cars to substitute for the racing I really wanted to do. I now am looking forward to trying Project Cars for itself and getting involved in the community that has grown up around it and meeting some of you online or IRL. This has truly been an awesome experience and I look forward where it will lead.

RetroNooB
31-05-2015, 21:19
Awesome! good luck vbowers hope you get as much enjoyment from Pcars as I do buddy :cool:

And everyone else involved in this story, hats off to you, this has trully restored my faith in human kindness! :cool:

Customer for life right here!

SwaggerJacker
01-06-2015, 01:01
Amazing. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. I'm "Swagg" on Steam. Send an invite!

Swagg

Helmethead1031
01-06-2015, 01:16
Hats off to all of you!! Class act to all involved! I'm speechless at the response this gentleman has received....like so many others have said, my faith in humanity is restored.

Francorchamps
01-06-2015, 03:01
This must be the most awesome thread I ever saw on a forum. vbowers you are going to love this game! Not sure if your wife will still love this community when she notices you will spend so much hours on it ;)

And big cheers for the wookie! Best head of a game studio I ever encountered!

Shepard2603
01-06-2015, 06:43
Pheww, this is giving me chills guys!

To use a common internet slogan: Faith in humanity restored!

This community is awesome!

MULTIVITZ
01-06-2015, 07:09
This game certainly work up a few nerves in me, its endlessly thrilling, spent 100 hours on it and only scratched it's surface. Get well soon mate, my dad had a bad stroke last year cause he never ate a salad in his life! Try taking omega 3, Phosphortidyl, Magnesiun Theoronate, Selenium, Zinc and Molybdenum supplements, at one third dose, as the veg is grow in poor soil!! Hope to see you on the track? Onwards n upwards.

KK78
01-06-2015, 07:18
Huge kudos to all of you, truly heartwarming, hope you love the game Mr Bowers :)

Sascha F.
01-06-2015, 08:17
Well done guys, it's great too see the community is still as helpful as I know it from the past - coming here after a long break from pcars and to read threads like these is truly awesome. :applause:

Dan77 DESTROYER
01-06-2015, 13:32
What an awesome thread amongst what has been a lot of moaning and nitpicking recently on here, sad to read about vbowers situation but how amazing and supportive you guys have been to him is just what I like to see here and it has made me smile today after reading this whole thread.
I am currently going through some very dark times in my life for different reasons to the OP but Pcars is definatly the best medication on the planet and I hope it can work for you as it is for me right now.
Look forward to reading how you get on once all your equipment arrives from these generous chaps.
Hats off to you guys ;)

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 13:38
This is the day I am proud to be a part of this community. Thank you in my name to all devs and people who are so supportive.

You have proven once again that you are worth of our thrust, money and respect!

And wish you best vbowers. If I would be able I would gladly help you. But I am far away...I am from Slovenia.

E30_Hntsvl
01-06-2015, 20:54
The Fanatec CSR Elite pedal set, cables, both the sequential and 5 speed Fanatec shifters and the attachment rods will be there on Saturday. Hope it helps quiet the racing bug, works for me. My last race RL was two months ago. I'm in too bad a shape to continue. Sim on...

Apoc112
01-06-2015, 21:06
Man, as soon as I read Ian's response, I was typing up a reply to offer up my fanatec PTWS + pedals + shifter (can't use them on my xbox one setup), but I was beaten to it by this awesome community... hope you love the game, and best of luck!

Roger Prynne
01-06-2015, 21:08
Have any of you guys ever seen this on any other racing forum... I think not.

We have a great bunch of guys here and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Ryno917
01-06-2015, 21:12
Great show to everyone here. Awesome stuff. :)

For Vbowers - if things popping up on screen are likely to give you issues, you may want to disable the on-screen rain drops. While a cool feature, if some snowflakes can give you issues I think the rain drops on the camera might as well. Just a friendly heads-up there. :)

Good luck, mate. Hope you enjoy the ride!

Freak_Lord
01-06-2015, 21:20
WOW

TrevorAustin
01-06-2015, 21:20
The Fanatec CSR Elite pedal set, cables, both the sequential and 5 speed Fanatec shifters and the attachment rods will be there on Saturday. Hope it helps quiet the racing bug, works for me. My last race RL was two months ago. I'm in too bad a shape to continue. Sim on...

Perfect.

The GT2 wheel, and H shifter and sequential and rods will be there Friday/Saturday too:) You'll be changing gear with two hands, lol.

born2bslow
01-06-2015, 22:23
Faith in humanity restored, I hope Project CARS brings you a lot of pleasure. I had an online Clio Cup race the other night, 3 of us battling for the lead at Brands Indy. I finished second by about 4/10ths with 3rd right on my tail. I was literally shaking from the adrenaline rush, I hope you experience that buzz too, it was a revelation. Great community spirit here, brilliant.

hkraft300
02-06-2015, 00:54
So, Mr. VBowers, what's your verdict on pCars? ;)

wyldanimal
02-06-2015, 04:12
Have any of you guys ever seen this on any other racing forum... I think not.

We have a great bunch of guys here and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I've done a similar thing over on the GT forums.
A member there is Autistic, and had always wanted to try a DFGT wheel.

I had a spare DFGT, and sent it to him.

I also started a Thread Called "Play it Forward"
Many of us have old wheels and pedals that maybe someone not as fortunate could enjoy.
so the thread was a way to connect members.

Those that have, with those that don't have.

I've lost my Brother just this Past Year.
His Legacy lives on in Spirit,
And the "Play it Forward" idea is something that he would have done.

Worth Reading.....
DoNoHarm.us (http://DoNoHarm.us)

http://dudespaper.com/flippin-pennies.html/

lethaLEEkill
02-06-2015, 06:46
wow! what a thread to stumble across! hope you enjoy the game mate! i'm sure you will. great work to all involved! looking forward to spending a lot of time with this game and community!;):yes:

Daveesaunders
02-06-2015, 06:56
This has to be the best thread I've seen on here recently, good luck OP hope your able to get your racing fix.

Mr.Smoke
02-06-2015, 10:17
This thread is full of win!!

Its truly great to see the community rally together & help out to this degree!! Hats off to everyone who reached out to help.

Rather interested to hear the OP's verdict on the game.

UMadBro
02-06-2015, 11:15
I'd recommend trying out other racing games, it's personally up to you but I wouldn't force it. Maybe you could actually play Rayman Legends with your gifted steering wheel.

ELAhrairah
02-06-2015, 11:51
" emotion on" I will never leave pCars, this has touched my soul! " emotion off"

Now back to racing! ;)

TrevorAustin
02-06-2015, 13:06
Hi Vance,

The tracking for the wheel is with Parcelforce worldwide, I've marked it as a compassionate gift at 0.05 value, so hopefully they won't try and charge you customs on it.

The tracking number is EK245654431GB.

Could you please PM me your mobile or house phone number and an email address for the couriers asap as they have asked for it.

Thanks

OrenIshii BE
02-06-2015, 13:29
I'm just speechless, lost for words.....

What you guys did for vbowers is truely amazing. Well done to the chaps giving their equipment, and awesome job to Ian Bell and SMS.

@vbowers,
get well soon, and enjoy the game!

Sankyo
02-06-2015, 13:38
Are we sure that this is a sim racing forum? Shouldn't the discussion soon turn into an "it's arcade" discussion? :confused:

Great thread, hats off to those who stepped up to help a stranger, I'm glad that this forum has risen well above the average internet forum level :)

Patrik Marek
02-06-2015, 18:16
this has made my day! thanks to everyone involved,

it reminds me when we did something similar for a sick boy who loved cars, so the forum community got together and put together decent amount of money that he could use to buy many car models,

it's so great to see when people unite together and help someone out! this to me means so much more then, when you can help concrete person , rather then the usual anonymous donations that end up who knows where

sirsilver1968
02-06-2015, 19:33
Words cannot describe the emotions I got from reading every single post on this thread, kudos to you all, I am new here and I have never experienced kind hearted responses to a thread like this before, I'm speechless.

Andy Rink
02-06-2015, 19:49
Right there with you sirsilver. Love you guys! Group hug!

McLari
02-06-2015, 21:10
Respect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xereau
02-06-2015, 22:50
This has been an amazing ride. I came out to this forum hoping that maybe I could find someone who might be willing to let a stranger visit them to try out this game that I'm hoping might help me safely satisfy my itch to race, which I can no longer do in real life. Probably a long shot, but maybe someone out there would help.

What I have found instead is an amazing group of people who are caring, supportive, and generous beyond words. I am visiting a forum member this Friday to try pCars on his setup, along with some other titles, Ian has provided me with a Steam code for the game, and two other incredibly generous forum members are sending me some of their spare equipment for me to race with. My wife has gone from being skeptical to looking forward to me getting involved with this community. Neither of us can believe the wonderful people I have encountered here. I am looking to recruit some of my friends to come over and try the game once I am set up and get them involved as well.

My wife and I want to thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts. I started out on this journey looking to try Project Cars to substitute for the racing I really wanted to do. I now am looking forward to trying Project Cars for itself and getting involved in the community that has grown up around it and meeting some of you online or IRL. This has truly been an awesome experience and I look forward where it will lead.

Hey man, can't wait to see you on the track soon, and back to 100% even sooner. I wish I could do more but offer moral support, but you're always welcome in any race I have open. I'm "Xereau" on steam if you'd like to add me.

Take care,

TrevorAustin
04-06-2015, 13:18
Hi Vance,

The tracking for the wheel is with Parcelforce worldwide, I've marked it as a compassionate gift at 0.05 value, so hopefully they won't try and charge you customs on it.

The tracking number is EK245654431GB.

Could you please PM me your mobile or house phone number and an email address for the couriers asap as they have asked for it.

Thanks

Hey Vance, could really do with these details asap please?

It's currently at the international hub for transport, so shouldn't be long.

ex_
04-06-2015, 21:13
there should be a TigerDirect or Best Buy near you. Purchas a wheel there, hang on to the receipt. If you like it, keep it. If not, you got 10 days to bring it back to the store for a full refund.

Hardware purchases are much less risky than software/movies.

Clarification: In Michigan you only get three (business) days...

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 21:58
Buy on Friday, return by tuesday. Should be enough time.

POWERSNIPER
05-06-2015, 00:57
I live in GR and have a PS4, 60" TV, t300rs with shifter, wheels stand pro, if u would like to try it out.
Let me know

Add me on PSN - POWERSNIPER

vbowers
06-06-2015, 03:24
An update for everyone. Panjandrum allowed me to test drive Project CARS on his setup today, which I appreciate soooo much. It was awesome!! It turned into 3 hours of racing sim driving and discussions related to racing and sims, with a short detour on movies and IT.

The good news is that it only caused minor symptoms, which I handled well. I think that, as I get more used to it (never drove a sim before today) it will probably be easier and cause less in the way of symptoms. I also got to drive some other games (nice!) and got to see an application he has that can make some non-3D games stereoscopic. He drove in the game he demoed that with and good thing - it quickly amped up my symptoms. No go on that!!

Trying his setup also sold me on having a dedicated racing seat. He did his own, I like what he's done and how he did it. I have another project to tackle!

The pedals and shifters from E30_Hntsvl arrived today in great shape. I am so geeked to try them out! And more thanks to TrevorAustin for being willing to deal with international shipping. Sorry that being thoughtful is causing hassles.

I also want to thank all of you who have posted to this thread, with suggestions or just to comment how wonderful this all is. I agree; the pCARS people (company and customers) are amazing people. I have occasionally struggled with my life change and this has been so amazingly uplifting. I hope I am able to somehow give back appropriately for this some day.

Neil Hopwood
06-06-2015, 03:39
An update for everyone. Panjandrum allowed me to test drive Project CARS on his setup today, which I appreciate soooo much. It was awesome!! It turned into 3 hours of racing sim driving and discussions related to racing and sims, with a short detour on movies and IT.

The good news is that it only caused minor symptoms, which I handled well. I think that, as I get more used to it (never drove a sim before today) it will probably be easier and cause less in the way of symptoms. I also got to drive some other games (nice!) and got to see an application he has that can make some non-3D games stereoscopic. He drove in the game he demoed that with and good thing - it quickly amped up my symptoms. No go on that!!

Trying his setup also sold me on having a dedicated racing seat. He did his own, I like what he's done and how he did it. I have another project to tackle!

The pedals and shifters from E30_Hntsvl arrived today in great shape. I am so geeked to try them out! And more thanks to TrevorAustin for being willing to deal with international shipping. Sorry that being thoughtful is causing hassles.

I also want to thank all of you who have posted to this thread, with suggestions or just to comment how wonderful this all is. I agree; the pCARS people (company and customers) are amazing people. I have occasionally struggled with my life change and this has been so amazingly uplifting. I hope I am able to somehow give back appropriately for this some day.

Glad to hear it's all working out.

Invincible
06-06-2015, 06:35
Welcome abort in Project Cars and in the simracing community! Maybe we'll meet up on track. :D

Really glad to hear that this all will work out for you.

TrevorAustin
08-06-2015, 11:13
Hi Vance,

This is the current status;
6/6/2015 12:10 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA…+Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Addressee to collect from depot

Looks like they carded you? Pain.

ANy problems let me know and I'll see what I can do from my end.

vbowers
09-06-2015, 01:35
Wheel arrived! Did get a laugh when I unboxed it and saw the power plug; didn;t think about the difference between the US and UK power grids. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a converter when I get back into town later this week. Yea!

Roger Prynne
09-06-2015, 11:01
Great news.

TrevorAustin
09-06-2015, 17:16
Wheel arrived! Did get a laugh when I unboxed it and saw the power plug; didn;t think about the difference between the US and UK power grids. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a converter when I get back into town later this week. Yea!

Lol, yes, didn't even think about it:) got loads of converyers here too. Good luck.

UKpitbull
09-06-2015, 18:40
Unity at its greatest!.

E30_Hntsvl
26-06-2015, 19:01
So... update us on what's going on. Get everything to work?

vbowers
28-06-2015, 01:40
Sorry for not posting an update quicker, you guys deserve a better correspondent. :)

I have not been able to put anywhere near as much time into this as I want or it deserves. We've had several significant family health issues pop up that have take much time and energy to deal with (not mine, amazingly enough). That said, I have it up and running!! Love the Fanatec wheel and pedals, tho not without issues. Having some trouble with the external shifters, but think that is more user related than hardware. I am having some issues clamping the wheel down tightly enough. Apparently between my poor driving and subsequent attempts to wrestle the car back into line, I'm applying too much force and have the wheel sliding around. I think that I will need to bite the bullet and do some drilling to secure it well. That means using a table or whatever that "The Boss" (wife, to those who are not married), won't have a coronary over my mucking up. But she has enjoyed listening to (and occasionally watching) me having a lot of fun with it, so I think we'll be able to work that issue out.

I am presently using an ASUS ROG G73JH laptop with 6GB of RAM and 1.6Ghz i7 with an AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 video card. I have this hooked up to a BenQ 1080p projector. After running the game for about an hour, the laptop just dies. My son (like I was, he is in IT) both think that the video card and/or mobo are overheating, leading to a power-off. After trying a number of other fixes, it looks like I am faced with disassembling the laptop. Hopefully it is just somewhat plugged with dustballs or whatever and a very thorough cleaning will alleviate the problem. If not, it may be that the system has simply aged to the point it is needing replacement. I previously negotiated a new computer with the wife for this fall/winter, and a fairly nice one at that, so it may be my birthday present to myself. Hey, I'll be 60 and that deserves some preferential treatment, eh? Who knows, maybe it'll include that sweet new nVidia Ti card. ;) Going to build it with my son, to maximize bang for the buck. All that early IT training I gave him is going to be put to use.

So that is the news to this point. I have "thank you" boxes going to ship on Monday, hope you enjoy them. Mom (89 yo and part of the health drama mentioned earlier) will be in the hospital this week for tests and possible surgery and I will be camped out with her much of the time. Still, if time and intestinal fortitude prevail, I will tackle laptop disassembly and see what's up in there. As the shutdown issue only occurs during pCARS and not other games (although none have visuals like this one), I am fairly sure it is a heat issue. If no big airflow issue, it's just the laptop aging out and it will take replacement of the system to address. I'll just have to race in short stretches.

Oh, I also have been contacted by several people to meet up online for some racing fun. I am presently on a cellular, metered Internet connection. As a result, no online racing economically possible. This fall, provided we haven't sold our house and moved elsewhere (it is up for sale), a local provider is going to be bringing fiber-based Internet to our neighborhood and I am signed up. So, once we get that or move to a new home (which we will require to have existing high speed Internet service in place), I will be excited to get online and get lapped by everyone. I mean go racing with everyone.

It has been an awesome experience talking with the pCARS forum members and staff. So many amazingly nice and caring people. You will never know how much this has meant to me and my wife. She no longer is afraid I'm going to go sneaking off somewhere to race cars IRL. This is going to work for me and will give me many hours of fun. Friends and relatives have already asked to come over once I have things running well so that they can try it out. Several have mentioned that they are interested in seeing what it is like as I got them into my sprint kart back in my racing days and they got a kick out of that. Now this won't be as scary to them but if it is anywhere near as fun, they think they would enjoy getting it for themselves. Fresh pigeons to pluck!!

Thanks again to everyone. You have been great.

TheReaper GT
28-06-2015, 01:49
I'm very happy for your Project Cars adventure man. Give the family a hug from Brazil. I'll pray for your mom, I know how those health things are. IF you need something feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to assist you.

vbowers
28-06-2015, 22:59
Home early from a family gathering, so I screwed up my courage and did the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of the laptop. The good news is that I am writing this on a clean, functioning laptop! Not as good is the fact that it really wasn't very dirty, so the issue is simply that the old girl isn't up to handling Project CARS for any significant period of time. So I will continue to do some short practices, maybe some time trials, but won't be able to do much beyond that because of the overheating shutdown issue until I can replace the system. But with my birthday in September and a green light to build a new box for it, maybe the birthday fairy will generously view the calendar and I'll get the parts ordered in late July/early August. Then by the time everything arrives and we can do the build, it will be September and it will count for the birthday. Oh Birthday Fairy hear my plea! :)

ermo
28-06-2015, 23:22
Home early from a family gathering, so I screwed up my courage and did the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of the laptop. The good news is that I am writing this on a clean, functioning laptop! Not as good is the fact that it really wasn't very dirty, so the issue is simply that the old girl isn't up to handling Project CARS for any significant period of time. So I will continue to do some short practices, maybe some time trials, but won't be able to do much beyond that because of the overheating shutdown issue until I can replace the system. But with my birthday in September and a green light to build a new box for it, maybe the birthday fairy will generously view the calendar and I'll get the parts ordered in late July/early August. Then by the time everything arrives and we can do the build, it will be September and it will count for the birthday. Oh Birthday Fairy hear my plea! :)

Have you considered building a makeshift 'stand'/'frame' for your laptop using whatever 80mm/92mm/120mm/140mm fans you have lying around? Just enough to lift bottom of the latop up from the table such that airflow can be pushed into and sucked out of it? That might help tide you over until you can build a bespoke gaming PC?

yopp90
29-06-2015, 01:22
This is the best thread I've ever read! Period. I wish more people could see this.

vbowers
30-06-2015, 13:51
I have a laptop cooler pad that I do use . It has 2 80mm fans that blow air up into the cooling vents. I find that it helps a little, but not enough when running pCars to add much racing time. Maybe 5 minutes. I also tried setting the laptop on a wide mesh "hammock", but that didn't do much either. I have a few more wrinkles I might try, but I don't think there is much that can add significant run time at this point.

SOCIALDISCO
30-06-2015, 15:44
What if we toss a fiver* each and buy this gentleman a cockpit / seat?
If the reponse is great, maybe even a PS4 may be possible as well and he is set to enjoy pCars and life a little bit better.

I can manage / organize the process or anyone else maybe from USA.

* a fiver can be less or more then a fiver :-)

vbowers
01-07-2015, 03:22
I very much appreciate the thoughtfulness of your offer. At this point I feel that everyone has done more than enough for me and I would ask that you not do a fundraiser. I'm having a good time, even with current limitations, and my better half is so happy with how much I'm enjoying it, as well as the support I've received from all of you, that she already asked me to get a cockpit and start on the new computer. I just am *very* true to my Scottish heritage (cheap, in other words) and feeling constrained by my Social Security Disability income, just didn't feel I should spend that money on "a game".

Being my better half, she beat on me until I admitted that this is the most fun thing I've done since my stroke (our honeymoon last October exempted) and that I'm being unreasonable on the expense, since she had a decent job over and above my disability income. So Sunday night I ordered a cockpit from Main Performance PC (an Ubutto Ozone cockpit). It seemed like a pretty awesome cockpit for the money; really great reviews. The R3volution cockpit was even more amazing, but so was the price. I think I'll be more than happy with the Ozone.

A new PC will also get ordered pretty soon, though not just yet. We are downsizing our house (current one up for sale) and the local housing market is fairly hot. We're doing showings nearly every other day. Once we accept an offer, I'll feel comfortable ordering the parts. Having to take a break hourly for 20-30 minutes is not that big of a hardship right now. The weather is great and I can go do some other things. Come November, different story. I'll be ready to "cave up" and devote hours at a time to racing and gaming. I'll also have a decent Internet connection that will allow me to race online and I'm going to need some practice before I do that anyway.

I do appreciate the moral support I've gotten from the members here. You keep me from overly focusing on some of the challenges going on right now and I hop onto the game for some break time and on here to see what people are up to. Good mental health support, guys and gals! I truly appreciate it!