PDA

View Full Version : Few things

ThePope
29-05-2015, 23:54
Game's been a rollercoaster of enjoyment vs frustration.

Why oh why does the game insist that if 2 cars touch they MUST veer off uncontrollably into a wall/barrier? Similar thing happens if you brush a barrier e.g. Monaco. You'll be completely glued to it. Additionally, god forbid you get 2 wheels on the grass - feels like a magnet is trying to pull you towards the barrier. Are these isssues that have been pointed out or is it just me?

Also, still haven't managed to find the right settings on the ps4 controller. Noticeable lack of feel for how the car is behaving and having to go back n forth between better feel but not enough lock to go round slow corners, or having severe oversteer issues in fast corners where a small input will jerk the car and the back, unsurprisingly, will kick out. Once that happens counter-steering is incredibly difficult as you get a horrid tank slapper. Any advice?

Kruleworld
30-05-2015, 00:03
they MUST veer off uncontrollably into a wall/barrier?
most games i've played do this. i've even complained about Assetto Corsa doing it.

awaite85
30-05-2015, 03:17
Have you ever played a racing game? Most of the stuff you listed just needs practice sounds like to me.

I have noticed 2 cars bumping or rubbing, you pretty much veer off with that car. That's how it works on the real tracks usually too though.

Not all of the cars slide off after 2 tires hit the grass.

Rest of it is just car tuning man.

NVI0U5
30-05-2015, 03:49
In real life if you ride a wall, you must slowly come off the wall, if you jerk the wheel like in the game there is no movement between the front wheels and the wall to move off, so therefore will feel sticky.
Two wheels in the grass has less grip than the wheels on the road, the grass will be cambered to track the car off the road for safety reasons.
I dont play PS I cant help with the controller but have you adjusted the sensitivity for the controller?

thisisbleep
30-05-2015, 04:59
Driving on grass versus the track should be pretty obvious, there is a lot more friction so the wheel(s) will slow down and the car will turn towards it. The bigger the difference between the track and whatever else you are driving on, the faster the car will turn.

k.merse
30-05-2015, 07:02
THe grass is OK for me, but I noticed too that if you touch another car or the wall, you stick to it. And it feels a bit more an issue than in other games I've played with, especially in case of car to car collisions. It's like there wouldn't be a bounce-back effect, or it just doesn't count as much as it should.

ThePope
30-05-2015, 11:12
Have you ever played a racing game? Most of the stuff you listed just needs practice sounds like to me.

I have noticed 2 cars bumping or rubbing, you pretty much veer off with that car. That's how it works on the real tracks usually too though.

Not all of the cars slide off after 2 tires hit the grass.

Rest of it is just car tuning man.

How it works on the real tracks? Have you been racing in Narnia? I understand the physics behind the grass thing but it's far too excessive. It usually depends on the scenario but in "real life" you'd ease off the throttle and steer back onto the track. Other times you can keep your foot planted and do that.
Maybe it's the fact that I don't have a wheel so need someone who has one to clarify

could_do_better
30-05-2015, 11:15
The bottom line is grass is really hard to get right. You'll always have some saying its too slippy or got too much grip. Too much drag or not enough.

What is implemented here is progressive drag, the further off track you go the more drag, to simulate the grass getting longer and to reduce the advantage from track cutting as much as possible.

It's not perfect, probably never will be but may see further tweaks as we progress and the community make observations and suggestions.

ThePope
30-05-2015, 11:18
Also, anyone got anything on the oversteer issue? Before someone says it, no, I don't want to turn on opposite lock help - makes the game less authentic.

I've managed to set top10 laptimes for a few tracks and cars (time trial) so I'm not completely useless.

One good note to point out - Having driven round the nurburgring I can say that you guys have done an amazing job with it.

ThePope
30-05-2015, 11:19
The bottom line is grass is really hard to get right. You'll always have some saying its too slippy or got too much grip. Too much drag or not enough.

What is implemented here is progressive drag, the further off track you go the more drag, to simulate the grass getting longer and to reduce the advantage from track cutting as much as possible.

It's not perfect, probably never will be but may see further tweaks as we progress and the community make observations and suggestions.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks.

ThePope
30-05-2015, 11:23
Interested in having some clean races so if anyone is up for that please add me - ThePope1992

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 11:27
Game's been a rollercoaster of enjoyment vs frustration.

Why oh why does the game insist that if 2 cars touch they MUST veer off uncontrollably into a wall/barrier? Similar thing happens if you brush a barrier e.g. Monaco. You'll be completely glued to it. Additionally, god forbid you get 2 wheels on the grass - feels like a magnet is trying to pull you towards the barrier. Are these isssues that have been pointed out or is it just me?

Also, still haven't managed to find the right settings on the ps4 controller. Noticeable lack of feel for how the car is behaving and having to go back n forth between better feel but not enough lock to go round slow corners, or having severe oversteer issues in fast corners where a small input will jerk the car and the back, unsurprisingly, will kick out. Once that happens counter-steering is incredibly difficult as you get a horrid tank slapper. Any advice?

Ian Bell has said there's a bit too much bumper entanglement simulated in the game and it can cause cars to feel like they are stuck together when they collide. I think they might tweak this. All the other behavior you mentioned is realistic.

I can't help you with the controller problems. I don't know how much control of the car you can realistically expect to have with a controller in a game that accurately simulates the physics of a race car. I recommend getting a wheel if possible if you really want to enjoy the game to its fullest.

Andy Apex
30-05-2015, 11:34
Or if you were Dale Earnhardt you could pass in the grass and just keep on gettin' it ! Dang I miss Dale.
It actually wasn't a pass in the grass.
I was at that race, it was something to see from the top of the media center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtPNfVeMUd4

ThePope
30-05-2015, 11:51
Haha that's class. Vettel at Monza is the most recent I can remember that impressed me.

Going back to realistic behaviour. I can change settings to get a better feel for the car and relatively easily counter-steer my way out of tail-happiness, but then I won't be able to go round slow corners - feels like understeer but definitely isn't. Point is, can't quite find the right balance between being able to go round slow bends and have a good feel for the car at high speed.

Here are my settings:

Steering deadzone: 10
Steering sens: 30
Throttle dead: 10
Throttle sens: 40
Brake dead: 10
Brake sens: 30
Clutch: 12, 45
Speed sens: 70
Filtering: 40
Ffeedback: 100
Input: 2
Advanced off

Kruleworld
01-06-2015, 01:20
Driving on grass versus the track should be pretty obvious, there is a lot more friction so the wheel(s) will slow down and the car will turn towards it. The bigger the difference between the track and whatever else you are driving on, the faster the car will turn.
but shouldn't grass have lower grip? it's easier to do donuts on grass because of the low friction.

cerbrus2
01-06-2015, 01:33
but shouldn't grass have lower grip? it's easier to do donuts on grass because of the low friction.

He means there is more friction on the track than on the grass, so the tires still in contact with track will make the car pivot towards the side with less traction, like a tank turning (kinda)