PDA

View Full Version : AI behavior issues

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 06:58
Yeah, that's what the thread says. Played about 40 hours and I hate the AI already, if you won't get good quali time and have to start at lower position it'll behave like some idiot troll from multiplayer game. I have to turn off damage, because it is anoying and after it crashes into me I can't continue the race and have to restart!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awmr4Y8TIQ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioI7IlQ1_sQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80tfbll0BU
After crash I tried to enter the pits, and get fix, but some idiot AI crashed into me and I was DSQ, nice AI. Even NFS 3, which was released in 1997 or 1998 has a better AI than this. BTW the AI cars are not slowed down, when the get off the track, they continue the race as they never lost grip with the track.
Yeah graphics, sounds, physics are awesome, cars to, but that's in every racing game, if I wanted to race alone and just set the good time on track I'd never bought this game, and just playet Assetto Corsa, which has no career mode, pitty I can't ask for refund.
Also AI always has hot tires, when you have cold and have to warm them on flying lap, there are no Marshals, in one race one of 20 cars lost it's rear tire and this tire was on track for a whole race, race was 3 hours long.

CRU5557
30-05-2015, 07:39
In which of those videos AI hits you?

bmanic
30-05-2015, 07:40
Try setting the AI to a higher difficulty? Also, try respecting the AI as they were real players? You were literally driving the AI off the road in that first video. It was YOUR fault.. not the AI's as far as I'm concerned.

2nd video was AI's fault, it just didn't have time to evade your sudden deceleration (due to your evasive maneuver that you yourself caused the situation for).

3rd video you turned into the AI who was sneaking in on your inside by a tiny bit. This too was the AI's fault but it's nothing that couldn't happen in real life (and actually happens a lot in junior classes).

The more I see these "AI sucks!!" videos the more I come to the realization why multiplayer is in such chaos (not just in pCars). A vast majority of people clearly have no idea of what respectful "real life like" competing driving is.. or how to do it. Several of your situations could have easily been avoided if you'd treat the AI as real people and not just bully your way along. So in a way, it's not a "AI fail" example.. it's a "damn, that is some realistic AI right there.. with some faults" example.

wraithsrike
30-05-2015, 07:44
Sorry bud but all driver errors, the AI in this game in my personal opinion are like racing against clean humans.

Watched your video clips and I'd say fault lays with you I know it's not what you want to hear but there goes.

wedge_a
Video 1 you turned in and left him no room.
Video 2 you veered back into his line.
Video 3 is so clearly you're fault I actually laughed. You used the entire width of the track and forced him into the grass. Then to compound it you leave no room for him tom get back on.

I would be willing to bet that if the AI did what you did, i.e. if the roles were reversed, you would be blaming the AI then too.

There's no doubt the AI can do some silly things, but in these cases it seems you are the one who thinks you own the road. Try giving the guys around you some room.

vicdavery
Welcome to the forums. Might be worth reading a bit before slagging stuff off. :) And you'll get much better responses by approaching others in a professional manner, rather than being derogatory.
But the vids:
Video 1: You force the AI off track and clearly will be somewhat out of control so as he rejoins the track you touch. So in my opinion your fault for forcing them off track.
Video 2: Looked a fairly ordinary racing incident, you were off line and trying to keep it together, and the AI got a bit close. 50:50
Video 3: I agree the AI needs to be a bit more cautious with open-wheelers, and I believe that has been acknowledged by the devs. AI at fault.

Generally, treat the AI as though they were humans and you'll have some good races. Even from those videos it's clear to see the AI are racing in a way that is much better than I've seen in any other game/sim.

vicdavery
30-05-2015, 07:47
I'm with bmanic on this.

I think the reason people struggle so much with the AI in this game is the fault of all the other racing games where the AI is so rubbish. People are used to being able to abuse the AI and they will leap out of the way. In PCARS the AI behaves like a human and therefore accidents happen when the player tries to bully them.

So I blame all the other games for being rubbish, not PCARS for being great. :)

CRU5557
30-05-2015, 07:50
I remember one true story about scared girl on highway... she called to police from her car, then everyone on highway going in wrong way...

kaa0s
30-05-2015, 07:51
I'm curious, how would you want the AI to react on situations like these?

As far as I can see the only problem with the AI on your videos is a minor one that has to do with them not slowing down enough while off track, and even on that situation you yourself created it and could have easily avoided.

could_do_better
30-05-2015, 07:52
It's about expectation. People are used to AI tuned to let you win and are therefore not used to having to compete. If you qualify badly in real life then you'll struggle to go from back to front in many classes. There are of course exceptions, much better cars or awesome driver performance but it is not normal, qualify badly and its usually time to look at damage limitation in the race.

CRU5557
30-05-2015, 08:00
Why do you think grass will slowing you down alot... its not true if you going in almost straight line over grass... grass cant stop 1,5tons that moving in high speeds

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 08:01
It was YOUR fault.. not the AI's as far as I'm concerned.
Really? AI was off track and that's his problem, not mine, I was attacking to get the position and didn't hit him, that's the normal racing accident when you chose difficult trajectory for your car. Then he's returning to track and what? He's not watching the cars coming by. Yeah, really my fault, I should've give him place.

it just didn't have time to evade your sudden deceleration
There's a lot of space to maneuver, and AI was just doing his lane, not trying to evade :)

3rd video you turned into the AI who was sneaking in on your inside by a tiny bit.
Yep, 'cause he was OFF THE TRACK!!! I was defending my position, and closed his trajectory, and then he was off the track and hit my rear tire.

The more I see these "AI sucks!!" videos the more I come to the realization why multiplayer is in such chaos (not just in pCars). A vast majority of people clearly have no idea of what respectful "real life like" competing driving is.. or how to do it. Several of your situations could have easily been avoided if you'd treat the AI as real people and not just bully your way along. So in a way, it's not a "AI fail" example.. it's a "damn, that is some realistic AI right there.. with some faults" example.

A vast majority of people clearly have no idea of what respectful "real life like" competing driving is.. or how to do it
Yeah, AI in this game to, never watches in rear view mirrors or never looks at the flags, and never respects physics.

could have easily been avoided if you'd treat the AI as real people and not just bully your way along
Yeah, and Senna could be alive, if he avoided that wall.

The more I see those WMD members or PC cars developers defending this game, the more I know that this game really wasn't what I expected, and there would be no optimization in this "awesome" game.

BTW awesome forum, which is asking to relogin me, SMS and WMD quality xD

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 08:03
People are used to AI tuned to let you win and are therefore not used to having to compete.
I'm used to play with normal people in Gran Turismo, but which are not causing a crash.

Video 1: You force the AI off track and clearly will be somewhat out of control so as he rejoins the track you touch. So in my opinion your fault for forcing them off track.
When he rejoins the track he must give a car, which is on track to pass him! Omg am I talking to Maldonado fans? xD

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 08:05
Why do you think grass will slowing you down alot
Do you know how the slicks are working? Ever tried to compete in Formula Ford or at least in karts? Ever tried to drive on such tires off the track? HELLO! It's not the NFS! Where you can drive off track and like you never lost your grip.

kaa0s
30-05-2015, 08:06
Why do you think grass will slowing you down alot... its not true if you going in almost straight line over grass... grass cant stop 1,5tons that moving in high speeds

This was not a straight line at all, this was on a decently tight corner, you would not be able to get back on track so fast after that. And as you said, grass would not have stopped you from going into a barrier there. On a straight line sure no problem if its for a little while, which is pretty much how it works in the game.

bmanic
30-05-2015, 08:07
The more I see those WMD members or PC cars developers defending this game, the more I know that this game really wasn't what I expected, and there would be no optimization in this "awesome" game.

BTW awesome forum, which is asking to relogin me, SMS and WMD quality xD

Okay, I see. So you are really here because of some anti-SMS / pCars agenda, is that it? You are obviously completely oblivious to your own faults clearly evident in all 3 videos.

Nothing to see here folks. Carry on.

Yet another post wasted where I was seriously trying to help you but you just slag it off as "defending". Thanks. Where do all these people come from?

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 08:09
Okay, I see. So you are really here because of some anti-SMS / pCars agenda. You are obviously completely oblivious to your own faults clearly evident in all 3 videos.
Yeah, for me everything is clear about you to, little fan boy.

And BTW i never said the game is bad, I said the AI is bad, LOL.

kaa0s
30-05-2015, 08:15
Really? AI was off track and that's his problem, not mine, I was attacking to get the position and didn't hit him, that's the normal racing accident when you chose difficult trajectory for your car. Then he's returning to track and what? He's not watching the cars coming by. Yeah, really my fault, I should've give him place.

You were not by his side when the corner started. You went for his line during the corner and forced him off track, you would have been disqualified in a race for doing that. What you should have done on that situation is you should have kept the inner line on the corner, you clearly had enough speed to pass the AI car doing that and none of this would have happened.

wraithsrike
30-05-2015, 08:16
Easy bud, most of the replys above were only guys trying to help you.

MULTIVITZ
30-05-2015, 08:21
I think it's funny.
We have dedicated threads to the Ai, you know, suggetions of how to improve them, reports of bug and bad Ai being naughty. You should read them. I have personally spoke to the programmers, I have, and rest assured its all in hand.
This game is going to be moulded by us, by you if you want? If you think of a suggestion that isn't obvious, do a search to make sure it hasn't been suggested before, then post it on the ultimate suggestion thread after you have read it.
The Ai are funny.imo

Voxen
30-05-2015, 08:24
Yeah, that's what the thread says. Played about 40 hours and I hate the AI already, if you won't get good quali time and have to start at lower position it'll behave like some idiot troll from multiplayer game. I have to turn off damage, because it is anoying and after it crashes into me I can't continue the race and have to restart!
After crash I tried to enter the pits, and get fix, but some idiot AI crashed into me and I was DSQ, nice AI. Even NFS 3, which was released in 1997 or 1998 has a better AI than this. BTW the AI cars are not slowed down, when the get off the track, they continue the race as they never lost grip with the track.
Yeah graphics, sounds, physics are awesome, cars to, but that's in every racing game, if I wanted to race alone and just set the good time on track I'd never bought this game, and just playet Assetto Corsa, which has no career mode, pitty I can't ask for refund.
Also AI always has hot tires, when you have cold and have to warm them on flying lap, there are no Marshals, in one race one of 20 cars lost it's rear tire and this tire was on track for a whole race, race was 3 hours long.

Dude, learn to drive first. I watched your videos and had a great laugh. Racing is not lawn mowing.

Bealdor
30-05-2015, 08:27
Guys, be nice to each other. It's weekend after all. :rolleyes:

wraithsrike
30-05-2015, 08:28
Racing is not lawn mowing that comment cracked me up pmsl.

MULTIVITZ
30-05-2015, 08:32
Okay, I see. So you are really here because of some anti-SMS / pCars agenda, is that it? You are obviously completely oblivious to your own faults clearly evident in all 3 videos.

Nothing to see here folks. Carry on.

Yet another post wasted where I was seriously trying to help you but you just slag it off as "defending". Thanks. Where do all these people come from?

Who ever started this thread, go back to youtube lol
OMG he couldn't be more obvious, different wave length, phycopathic tendances from long term parasite infection from feeding them junk food and prescription drugs lol most people have them, some more than others! But they don't call the kettle black when its obviously poor brinkmanship on your part!

RedDave84
30-05-2015, 08:36
hahahahaha

Kids these days, really no idea how to play with others.

baronesbc
30-05-2015, 08:42

First video, you have made a dirty maneuver by pushing the AI off the track, I'm glad that he has avenged ;)
second video, yes, it shows the biggest problem of this AI, it is too aggressive, they push for spaces where there aren't.
third video, is all your fault, you try to close his space when it is there. are you who go to seek the contact.

for me the AI has "only" two problems, it is too slow, and it is too aggressive. we need a slide to adjust the aggressiveness, because at 100% of difficulty, it transforms the races in descruction derby

David McKenna
30-05-2015, 10:29

The Gran Turismo series has little to no AI ??

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 10:32
You were not by his side when the corner started. You went for his line during the corner and forced him off track, you would have been disqualified in a race for doing that. What you should have done on that situation is you should have kept the inner line on the corner, you clearly had enough speed to pass the AI car doing that and none of this would have happened.

The only adequate reply, others are dirty little trolls who love to cry: OOOH!! U STOOPEED LITTL KEED!!! And can't give an arguments. BTW I'm facing such troubles only in open wheel Formula Rookie in others I'm very comfortable with AI, even when he starts to break very early in corners.

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 10:35
The Gran Turismo series has little to no AI ??
Yeah, but they do not punch you in your back in the start :)

could_do_better
30-05-2015, 10:36
Now we're being constructive, welcome back.... It's well known the open wheel AI are little aggressive. My bet is it's related to the simplified mesh used for path planning and collision detection and the complex shape of an open wheel car.

Andy Apex
30-05-2015, 10:36

To be able to race, your first have to learn how to race. It's not where you finish, it's the fun you have in getting there that truly matters. One day Daniel son you will learn that !

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 10:40
It's well known the open wheel AI are little aggressive
Maybe, but in Hungaroring and Donington everything was alright, I've started 9th in 2nd race and got to 1-st position without collisions in those races, but on Sakitto... it is hell on earth!

CRU5557
30-05-2015, 11:56
Do you know how the slicks are working? Ever tried to compete in Formula Ford or at least in karts? Ever tried to drive on such tires off the track? HELLO! It's not the NFS! Where you can drive off track and like you never lost your grip.

It's not about NFS I don't know what is possible in NFS It's more than 15 years when I played it last time... I'm talking just about physics and grass isn't working as glue (as in forza)... It can't slow you down for 20km/h just when you touch it...

So with specific conditions is possible to hit the grass and return back to the track without losing speed...

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 12:11
This is a game where you have to respect the AI. They will not be bullied lol. You did expose a few issues though.

In video 1, the AI should have slowed down massively when he went in the gravel pit. Also, perhaps the AI should hold his line and let u bump into him rather than running off the track to avoid your (bad) driving. I am glad he wrecked you when he came back on the track though, you deserved it. This is actually very human-like behavior. You ran someone off the road and he came back for revenge.

In video 2, both of you do things wrong. You have to be aware when someone is quickly coming up on you and be less erratic/hold your line better. On the other hand, the AI also needs to be a bit more cautious in that situation. Overall, I say the AI is to blame for this incident since he was coming from behind you, but you are not completely innocent here. It's kind of like a real racing incident you would see between two humans.

In video 3, it's a similar situation where you and the AI both do things wrong. Blocking like that and trying to run people off the road is very dangerous. You are relying on them to move out the way to avoid a crash. However, the AI shouldn't have stuck the nose of his car in that tiny gap. That's not a safe way to pass. Overall, I blame the AI for this accident, but you are at fault too. This type of incident is very common between 2 human drivers.

Can we say the AI is bad based on these videos? I don't think so. You can't treat the AI in this game like Gran Turismo AI. The AI in this game are actually racing you and are not just there for decoration.

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 12:30
You can't treat the AI in this game like Gran Turismo AI.
And again AI in GT, F1, Forza and other racing games never hits you in start if you fail your start and someone behind was good at start.

It's not about NFS I don't know what is possible in NFS It's more than 15 years when I played it last time... I'm talking just about physics and grass isn't working as glue (as in forza)... It can't slow you down for 20km/h just when you touch it...

Yep, it's about grip, when your cars rear left wheel is off track, and the rear right wheel is on the track you can't just accelerate normally, especially in corners, because there are 2 different grip levels, is that okay for you? Or sand, grass, rocks and asphalt has same grip level? I'm not telling you that when you got offtrack your speed is lowering by 20 km/h instantly, no! It's just about accelerating, when the car off track accelerates with the same level as the car which is on track.

mire2
30-05-2015, 12:34
Well, i must say it has nothing to do with respecting them or something like that, because i drive against AI too and i always respect them, always try to be careful and so on, but they always hit me in the back when i drive a straight road, in my options AI are on 60-70 % difficult, but they are absolute stupid and not respect full, so it makes no sense to drive respect full, because the AI dont care about it and crash into you without any reason....

jake_the_dog
30-05-2015, 12:57
Yeah, absolutely forgot, that AI sometime doesn't changing tires, even if conditions have changed.

CRU5557
30-05-2015, 13:00
Yep, it's about grip, when your cars rear left wheel is off track, and the rear right wheel is on the track you can't just accelerate normally, especially in corners, because there are 2 different grip levels, is that okay for you? Or sand, grass, rocks and asphalt has same grip level? I'm not telling you that when you got offtrack your speed is lowering by 20 km/h instantly, no! It's just about accelerating, when the car off track accelerates with the same level as the car which is on track.

Yes this is correct but the level of possible acceleration is changing... in low speeds is absolutely different on these different surfaces, but in high speeds when cars is near to their torque limits is the acceleration differences negligible...

EDIT: of course if surfaces are flat and stiff enough... on sand and rocks this not working but, asphalt, grass, gravel, snow..

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 13:00
Well, i must say it has nothing to do with respecting them or something like that, because i drive against AI too and i always respect them, always try to be careful and so on, but they always hit me in the back when i drive a straight road, in my options AI are on 60-70 % difficult, but they are absolute stupid and not respect full, so it makes no sense to drive respect full, because the AI dont care about it and crash into you without any reason....

I don't think I've ever had an AI hit me in the back when I was on a straight. I don't play on 60-70% difficulty though, so that could be why. When I say you have to "respect" the AI, I mean you need to make sure you are racing cleanly. You can't be driving erratically, doing crazy blocking maneuvers and running AIs off the track like OP was, or you will be involved in a lot of incidents. pCARS AI seems to be programmed to race you hard at all times (which is stupid). Be aware of this and you will be able to avoid a lot of collisions. Never expect the AI to concede a position or to not go for a pass.

PeteUplink
30-05-2015, 13:02
The AI in this game has serious issues, but here's my opinion of your videos based on 30 years of motor sport and racing sim experience:

Video 1: You squeezed the AI off the track and it had nowhere to go.

Video 2: The AI went for a gap. If you'd used your mirrors you might have seen he was there.

Video 3: You made a good move, but you didn't allow for the AI's position (again should have used your mirrors) and closed the door on it.

LADY GEMMA JANE
30-05-2015, 13:03
AI is not perfect, but I have seen worse

mire2
30-05-2015, 13:06
That was i telling. I respect them because i drive clean and safe like a real race driver, but they dont care and hit me in the back or something stupid.....i never try to catch the next place fast, i always be carefull, you know how i mean it, im not stupid, i 4ry aleays to drive clean but the AI hit me from the side or back when i drive into corners and sometimes on straights.....so it is not my problem that they hit me....i tryed it a long time but almost ever they do something like that, it dont matter which difficult the AI got...

mire2
30-05-2015, 13:09
In the 3 videos here in this topic i must agree it is his problem and fault that the AI crash him.....but i got often the same problem in my way of driving

Kepagt
30-05-2015, 13:12
Topic says all! Learn the play!

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 13:15
That was i telling. I respect them because i drive clean and safe like a real race driver, but they dont care and hit me in the back or something stupid.....i never try to catch the next place fast, i always be carefull, you know how i mean it, im not stupid, i 4ry aleays to drive clean but the AI hit me from the side or back when i drive into corners and sometimes on straights.....so it is not my problem that they hit me....i tryed it a long time but almost ever they do something like that, it dont matter which difficult the AI got...

You are right, sometimes the AI does cause crashes. There are definitely some issues with the AI. However, I would say overall the AI is not bad. I think there are games with better AI and there are definitely games with worse AI. I enjoy my races against the AI on 100%. I think the AI in this game is fairly predictable for the most part and I am usually able to race cleanly with them.

Mahjik
30-05-2015, 13:17
jake,

I updated the thread title. This is an open forum and we encourage feedback from all members whether good or bad. However, purchasing the title doesn't give you entitlement to insult or berate members of this forum nor the SMS staff. If you purchase a meal at a restaurant, it's doesn't also give you the ability to curse out the waiters. That will get you promptly escorted out of the restaurant. Similarly, blind insults will get you escorted off this forum.

The use of calling members of this forum "trolls" and other insulting terms which you started with this thread are not the way we conduct conversations here. We want to encourage you to participate in the discussions on this forum (and there are several already about AI behavior), but you are going to have to do so in manner which is acceptable.

baronesbc
30-05-2015, 13:25
I don't think I've ever had an AI hit me in the back when I was on a straight. I don't play on 60-70% difficulty though, so that could be why. When I say you have to "respect" the AI, I mean you need to make sure you are racing cleanly. You can't be driving erratically, doing crazy blocking maneuvers and running AIs off the track like OP was, or you will be involved in a lot of incidents. pCARS AI seems to be programmed to race you hard at all times (which is stupid). Be aware of this and you will be able to avoid a lot of collisions. Never expect the AI to concede a position or to not go for a pass.
Not totally true.. The AI set to 100% has an exaggerated aggressiveness and is undeniable.
When they are behind you, even if they are distant by several meters without any chance to try an overtake, they try anyway at the first coming corner.. and if they for case don't hit you, they end up off track because they haven't any chance to do the corner at that speed ..
The AI sometimes runs as the worst online player, without the slightest respect for the opponent.

Roger Prynne
30-05-2015, 13:38
If you want to see some good AI racing check this out...........

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23553-The-AI-discussion-(all-platforms)&p=944321&viewfull=1#post944321

Neil Bateman
30-05-2015, 13:39
I agree that the AI do have problems here and there, but all of the threads i have read about the AI it gives the impression a lot of people have not experienced just how bad a lot of AI are in other games because the AI in this game for the most part great IMO.

Having said that i am talking from a perspective of racing simulators, not arcade or simcade or whatever you want to refer to them as, i have never owned any GT or Forza games so cant comment on how good or bad they are, i would imagine they are the same as far as they will have good points and bad points.

In my experience most other AI i have raced with are not up to much, they have a racing line they stick to at all times unless they are trying to make a pass, against other AI mostly but never seem to make much of an effort to pass a human quite so well, if you try to pass them even if you clearly have the racing line and have won the corner fair and square they turn into the corner on that racing line i mentioned.

They never really defend their position even coming down a long straight in to a heavy braking corner, you can drive right alongside them and around them at will because they stick to a pre-defined line, but then turn in on you regardless.

In PCars yes there are issues with certain cars and on some tracks, but they do defend there position, they do try to position their car to make it difficult to pass them, and if you are clearly alongside into a corner they dont just ingnore the fact you are there.

They are not perfect for sure but as has been said, if you race them fairly just like you would a real driver online it does make a difference to how they race you, for the most part anyway.

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 13:51
Not totally true.. The AI set to 100% has an exaggerated aggressiveness and is undeniable.
When they are behind you, even if they are distant by several meters without any chance to try an overtake, they try anyway at the first coming corner.. and if they for case don't hit you, they end up off track because they haven't any chance to do the corner at that speed ..
The AI sometimes runs as the worst online player, without the slightest respect for the opponent.

That's true. The AI has a tendency to dive bomb far too aggressively. You can stop this by protecting the inside line though. It's just something you have to get used to doing. Hopefully it gets tweaked. I will say my experience racing against 100% AIs has been about a million times better than online public lobbies.

baronesbc
30-05-2015, 14:13
They are not perfect for sure but as has been said, if you race them fairly just like you would a real driver online it does make a difference to how they race you, for the most part anyway.
in this video i was racing as in an online race, with respect for the opponent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_E5IIAcQ_0

I always run in this way, online or offline is the same.
but look what they do in the last corner of the track (which is the most evident, but in reality it happens at every corner) .. every lap, 2 or 3 AI fly off the track .. trying to overtake the car they have in front, push in corner a crazy speed..

looks at 3:12 min, look in the mirror how the ai is distant from me, despite everything he tries an impossible overtake, hitting me in the middle of the corner.. and in the next corner, he tries the same maneuver. it seems that he wants to kill me lol
The AI generally has a good behavior in pcars, great potential for sure, but it has exaggerated aggressiveness, come on, it is undeniable

You can stop this by protecting the inside line though. It's just something you have to get used to doing.
Yep of course I already do it. even in the video above, I often keep the inside line to prevent these collisions. but this doesn't delete the defect, forcing you to run in an unnaturally way sometimes

JDFSSS
30-05-2015, 14:28
in this video i was racing as in an online race, with respect for the opponent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_E5IIAcQ_0

I always run in this way, online or offline is the same.
but look what they do in the last corner of the track (which is the most evident, but in reality it happens at every corner) .. every lap, 2 or 3 AI fly off the track .. trying to overtake the car they have in front, push in corner a crazy speed..

looks at 3:12 min, look in the mirror how the ai is distant from me, despite everything he tries an impossible overtake, hitting me in the middle of the corner.. and in the next corner, he tries the same maneuver. it seems that he wants to hit me lol
The AI generally has a good behavior in pcars, great potential for sure, but it has exaggerated aggressiveness, come on, it is undeniable

Yep of course I already do it. even in the video above, I often keep the inside line to prevent these collisions. but this doesn't delete the defect, forcing you to run in an unnaturally way sometimes

Regarding the incident at 3:12, the AI didn't really try a crazy overtake (he did have a look up the inside, but didn't go for it). It's like he has way more grip and takes the corner way faster than you and runs you over. Doug has said the AI's speed is being toned down a bit in the wet, so that would probably be enough to stop this particular incident from happening. In the next corner, he gets close but doesn't make contact. There's nothing wrong with that.

baronesbc
30-05-2015, 14:39
Regarding the incident at 3:12, the AI didn't really try a crazy overtake (he did have a look up the inside, but didn't go for it). It's like he has way more grip and takes the corner way faster than you and runs you over. Doug has said the AI's speed is being toned down a bit in the wet, so that would probably be enough to stop this particular incident from happening. In the next corner, he gets close but doesn't make contact. There's nothing wrong with that.
no, it is the attitude that is wrong. He force the braking to try to overtake, finishing consistently in understeer, and many times off the track (if that was their normal trajectory, they didn't end up off the track).
it happens often in the video.
the behavior in the two corners I have mentioned is the same.. in the second, he does not hit me just because it was not close enough. but you can note that it is off trajectory, that makes you realize how he forced the braking. if he was a little more closely, he hit me ..

beyond this, if I have a car more slowly in front of me, until I do not have the certainty of overtaking, I do not overtake. that's what I'm saying, the AI has exaggerated aggressiveness

pioneer1985
30-05-2015, 14:58
just like ben Collins says sometimes that a few crazies are on the the track maybe you keep getting the crazies :) personally I think the AI are pretty good most of the time as others said you need to give them room as you would in real life.

Dresden
30-05-2015, 15:09
The AI is fine in this game, meaning that if I have a one right on my tail and I am going into a corner, I could be in big trouble. And in that sense the AI is simulating human error and feels just right to me. The only complaint one could level is that open wheel cars have a poor collision detection system and the player is overly penalized while the AI driver just continues away at full speed. Open wheel cars are very frightening in all contact situations and both people should end up off the track. Think Senna and Prost.

I am sure that SMS are already looking at making it better.

Ranger099
30-05-2015, 15:15
I was pleasantly surprised by the AI. I have seen a few dangerous moves where they brake a little late behind - but that's probably my fault too for braking too early at times (I'm not a great driver). The OP needs to work on his driving before concluding it's all AI. I noticed the quick wheel adjustments left/right to go straight which makes me wonder if he's using a keyboard or controller instead of a wheel? That would explain some things as well. Overall the AI is REALLY good - second only to GSC. Better than AC was for a long time. Haven't played AC lately to know if it caught up.

badkarma
30-05-2015, 15:42
One of the issues with the AI is that they have perfect braking, they can brake much later (maybe due to the simplified tire model on them), they don't seem to know how to adjust their braking zone if there are other cars in front of them, so they dive bomb.

As of right now, racing the AI is no fun at all. My driving is nowhere near as bad as in the video and I get hit on turn in / out / on the straights. They don't seem to react far enough from other cars.

Here is a short vid of what I'm taking about, some parts the AI does seem to know I'm there, but I have been hit more times than not when along side them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiffaTKH18

baronesbc
30-05-2015, 16:23
One of the issues with the AI is that they have perfect braking, they can brake much later (maybe due to the simplified tire model on them), they don't seem to know how to adjust their braking zone if there are other cars in front of them, so they dive bomb.

I don't know if they have a different physics, but the fact they brake much later, it's the main reason why they are so slow in the lap times.
Indeed entering so fast, forces them to delay the exit of the corners, consequently they lose a lot of time.

However please note that that they end up even off the track in an attempt to take the car in front, this should make you realize that they go beyond their ability in this situation (it's not their normal trajectory), just because they are trying to overtake, even when it is impossible to do so.

The solution is "simple", just insert a slide to adjust the aggressiveness

badkarma
30-05-2015, 16:46
I don't know if they have a different physics, but the fact they brake much later, it's the main reason why they are so slow in the lap times.
Indeed entering so fast, forces them to delay the exit of the corners, consequently they lose a lot of time.

However please note that that they end up even off the track in an attempt to take the car in front, this should make you realize that they go beyond their ability in this situation (it's not their normal trajectory), just because they are trying to overtake, even when it is impossible to do so.

The solution is "simple", just insert a slide to adjust the aggressiveness

Due to processing power, the AI is using a simplified tire model so it doesn't bring your system to a halt and we can have more than 2 cars at a time on track.

It's not the aggressiveness, it's the brains, even with a slider you have to adjust the brains to follow that slider..we already have a AI difficulty slider, why not adjust the "brains" of the AI to respect the other cars position.

I just cranked up a race as spa 85% AI difficulty, was turning in on the first corner after the straight, right side tires on the edge of the inside curb. AI behind me brakes late and smacks my right side, I hit esc, exit and then the X

I could post up hundreds of videos of AI doing stupid stuff, stuff that would get them disqualified or thrown out of most racing orgs.

Revvin
30-05-2015, 17:28
I'm not going to pretend the AI is perfect but in every one of the OP's examples he either caused or significantly contributed to a collision. I find the AI to be just as good, if not better than a lot of PC titles and is far better than anything I've seen on the consoles. The AI in Gran Turismo and Forza should be reclassified as AL - artificial lunatics.

feloney_x
30-05-2015, 19:41
lol i don't know why so many are attacking this poor guy so he dos not drive to perfect but don't act like the AI are not aggressive i have only played a little while and with the AI at 50 60 80 and 90 % they all get a bit aggressive i have had an AI stop in front of me on the line and refuse to move trying to block me i have been rammed off the track not bumped but rammed and hard

now having said that this came as no surprise to me after spending hours upon hours in shift 2 i kinda expected the aggressive AI from this dev team :) but at least in pcars they seem to back off if you take that aggression back on them i have noticed when one starts trying to play the bump and grind game with you slam his but off the track and you will find he tends to back off and give you room in less your in the old ford little bitty car cant remember witch one it is but they tend to flip me they hit so hard over and over i opt out of that match as i don't enjoy that at all

badkarma
30-05-2015, 19:43
Yeah the OP has no cause to complain about the AI until they learn to hold a line. I can't say much to the level of AI compared to other games because I've only done iracing for several years so I have to take peoples word for that.

Most of it is impressive, but if they give the brains a bit more IQ it'd be most impressive.