PDA

View Full Version : tyre/fuel management

Captain Hogseye
30-05-2015, 09:43
*first post*

hey everyone, just a quickie. Is it a design choice to be more realistic that we dont know how long a set of tyres will last or whether they are being managed properly, or am I missing a description somewhere in the menu. Or do you have to work it out yourself when the car slides around etc?

with the fuel does ambient temperature and locale effect fuel consumption? I had a couple of races when i ran out of fuel but started with more than enough.

on the whole great game, pisses all over Forza in my opinion. RACE>WIN>BUY PARTS>REPEAT>YAWN.

nissan4ever
30-05-2015, 10:12
As for tires, depends on the compound. Soft will wear out faster than medium. Hard compound will last longer than medium. It depends on how many laps you doing. Let's say you doing a 10 lap race at any track that has a lap time no higher than say 2:30.***. You should run the softs, they should make it. Same track time but 20 laps, softs will probably start losing grip around lap say lap 14. Probably be kinda slippery by lap 20. You see where I'm going with this?

Fuel varies by car & driving style. You should run at least 5 laps at that track with that car in practice. By lap five your tires will be at race temp & you should be consistent with your lap times by then. When you start lap 6, take note of how much fuel you got. Finish the lap and see how much fuel is left. Some quick subtraction will get you the number per lap, then add .3 or .2 to that number for safe measure. Then multiply by laps. That's how much fuel to bring with a little extra. You shouldn't run out at all. You want to be almost out of gas at the end. Less weight makes you faster & this game takes that into account.

Captain Hogseye
30-05-2015, 12:28
This is all brilliantly technical! I suppose it only really matters if your doing 100% races. I have done about 15 laps in the formula rookies and didn't really notice a difference in handling.

I remember the F1 series told you how many laps were left in the tyres and it sort of held you hand through the sessions. This is the real deal, makes practice sessions completely relevant now. ☺

tux1234
30-05-2015, 12:41
Some cars actually have a page on the Motec/dash which will show last lap fuel usage and average fuel usage

SpeedFreakDTM
30-05-2015, 13:40
Im doing the community challenge at the moment, on Hockenheim, in the Merc 190E DTM.

The only choice of tyre I have, is GR.A Slick or GR.A Rain, or Auto by weather.

So there is no hard/med/soft compound.

The problem is, half way through the 1st lap, I have 2 red tyres on my left side. Are the tyres really only supposed to last a few corners. I have tyre wear turned off, in the main menu, so does that mean I can ignore the tyre temps?

Even with the tyre wear set to off, cold tyres make the car slide (as I expect). So am I correct in assuming that a red/HOT tyre is not performing like a green tyre?

Is anyone else killing their tyres within a few turns on Hockenheim National?

SpeedFreakDTM
30-05-2015, 14:46
My apologies it appears I can alter the compound in the PITS. I shall try a harder compound.

AP200
31-05-2015, 19:19
Im doing the community challenge at the moment, on Hockenheim, in the Merc 190E DTM.

The only choice of tyre I have, is GR.A Slick or GR.A Rain, or Auto by weather.

So there is no hard/med/soft compound.

The problem is, half way through the 1st lap, I have 2 red tyres on my left side. Are the tyres really only supposed to last a few corners. I have tyre wear turned off, in the main menu, so does that mean I can ignore the tyre temps?

Even with the tyre wear set to off, cold tyres make the car slide (as I expect). So am I correct in assuming that a red/HOT tyre is not performing like a green tyre?

Is anyone else killing their tyres within a few turns on Hockenheim National?

Red tires are obviously not in the optimal range so you will slide around on them yes. An over inflated tire results in less surface area there is firmly contacting the road.