PDA

View Full Version : Level Playing Field

SpeedFreakDTM
30-05-2015, 14:34
I do like this game, but one thing about all recent racing games is they lack a level playing field.

I know on Pcars we have the most in-depth tuning we have seen on a console. Thats great. I can customise my setup so that it suits me. The only thing is, im not a race engineer, or a mechanic, neither is my GF, or any of my friends. We are all messing around tuning cars, MORE than we are racing. I know many people love tuning and tweaking their setups, but I spent too many hours doing it on Forza 4. I am just going to have to deal with it if I want to play this game....and I do.

But what I think would be a great addition to this game, and the whole multiplayer experience on the X1 atleast, would be two kind of playlists:

Playlist 1 : with FULL use of tuning and saved setups.

Playlist 2 : All cars are PRE-tuned by SMS, just pick your car and race.

I think option 2 playlist, would allow the people like me who cannot be bothered with tuning and testing, or dont understand what to change to get more enjoyment from the game.
Just because we dont like/understand tuning doesnt mean we want to go and play "NFS who can jump the highest" or "Mario Kart" or "Forza I can drive through a field and then a hedge" lol.

Im just suggesting this, as SMS are hopefully going to improve X1's multiplayer, this would allow us n00bs to compete with each other on a level playing field. Also it could be fun for the PRO's to see whos fastest in a car they cannot alter.

I have a couple of friends who just seem to be struggling more than me, and they are on the verge of simply putting the game down, and they wont play it again.

I think with an PRE-tuned option, SMS can capture and KEEP a wider audience. When I say PRE-tuned, I dont mean stock tuned, I mean drivable, feels good to drive tuning.

Would anyone else like a playlist with no tuning?

jsydave
30-05-2015, 15:22
So something like the cycled production lobbies in Forza? Can't really see the point. I haven't yet played PCars multiplayer but when I do I'll not have a clue how good my opponents are and so I've no idea if they're winning or losing with a great tune or great driving.

Besides there's a few people who have posted tunes so you should be able to find something suitable.

dwaynediblade
30-05-2015, 16:39
I am all for level playing fields but I think that you are overestimating how much a difference a good tune makes...

As one of the top drivers on the game I can tell you with confidence that a tune will make maybe 3-5 tenths of a difference on a 2 minute circuit. This is ignoring gear ratios and downforce which are probably the biggest factors in tuning which are necessary to change on some longer faster circuits.

By nature online racing is very fair, its not like real life where you can pay more money to be faster etc. Everyone in this game has the exact same spec car and a decent tune will extract maybe an extra 1-2% out of the car. The concepts of making a tune do not require you to be a mechanic or race engineer its actually very simple and there are lots of pdfs and videos online that you could read in 15 minutes and be able to make educated changes to your setup.

People often like to blame their tune on their performance when it only covers tenths when they could find multiple seconds by improving their driving.

(I am not shooting down this suggestion but I believe making separate lobbies would divide the players and its hard enough to find a decent lobby as it is!)

Schooner
30-05-2015, 16:42
It's common in other sims, iRacing has some fixed setup series to account for this.
That said setups can be a lot of personal preference in terms of how you prefer a car to feel and handle. One setup wont be ideal for everyone.

PeoplesChampion
30-05-2015, 16:58
I do like this game, but one thing about all recent racing games is they lack a level playing field.

I know on Pcars we have the most in-depth tuning we have seen on a console. Thats great. I can customise my setup so that it suits me. The only thing is, im not a race engineer, or a mechanic, neither is my GF, or any of my friends. We are all messing around tuning cars, MORE than we are racing. I know many people love tuning and tweaking their setups, but I spent too many hours doing it on Forza 4. I am just going to have to deal with it if I want to play this game....and I do.

But what I think would be a great addition to this game, and the whole multiplayer experience on the X1 atleast, would be two kind of playlists:

Playlist 1 : with FULL use of tuning and saved setups.

Playlist 2 : All cars are PRE-tuned by SMS, just pick your car and race.

I think option 2 playlist, would allow the people like me who cannot be bothered with tuning and testing, or dont understand what to change to get more enjoyment from the game.
Just because we dont like/understand tuning doesnt mean we want to go and play "NFS who can jump the highest" or "Mario Kart" or "Forza I can drive through a field and then a hedge" lol.

Im just suggesting this, as SMS are hopefully going to improve X1's multiplayer, this would allow us n00bs to compete with each other on a level playing field. Also it could be fun for the PRO's to see whos fastest in a car they cannot alter.

I have a couple of friends who just seem to be struggling more than me, and they are on the verge of simply putting the game down, and they wont play it again.

I think with an PRE-tuned option, SMS can capture and KEEP a wider audience. When I say PRE-tuned, I dont mean stock tuned, I mean drivable, feels good to drive tuning.

Would anyone else like a playlist with no tuning?

One thing I have noticed with most all of the race cars is that they have a really solid tune from the get-go. I know guys that are sitting in 1st place on the leaderboards with a completely standard tune.

BellCurve
30-05-2015, 17:05
While I don't think a good tune on a car will make a night and day difference, I would really love to see some playlist options in multiplayer. Sometimes it feels like a chore to find a good room.

But when you do...boy oh boy.

SpeedFreakDTM
30-05-2015, 19:18
I just dont want to have to tune them.

I can tune them, just cant be arsed putting the time into the tuning aspect.

My friend was having some serious understeer issues on Hockenheim National, and he got my tune off me, and shaved 2 seconds off his time. So how anyone can say that a tune only makes a few tenths difference is insane.

Turns out his gears were way too long, and he had messed up with the fast n slow rebounds. But he didnt know.

Im sure there are other people other than my friends, who would just like to click race, and not have to worry whether the car is tuned properly.

It was only a suggestion. :cool:

Bealdor
30-05-2015, 19:30
Moved to Feature Suggestions subforum.

Harry Feathers
30-05-2015, 20:44
I would welcome the idea.

Umer Ahmad
30-05-2015, 21:31
There was an idea to "force locked" setups for online racing. It's a little controversial but it may end up in the game later.

jsydave
30-05-2015, 22:09
There was an idea to "force locked" setups for online racing. It's a little controversial but it may end up in the game later.No problem with it as an option but there is still skill in tuning as well. As another optional aspect then fair enough. Still don't see the need but it's just not for me.