PDA

View Full Version : Controller button layout.

Blind Speed
30-05-2015, 20:45
How do you folks use your controller in terms of how you hold it and what fingers do you use for acceleration/braking and shifting? This may seem like a really inane question, however Im noticing in order to respond fast enough, I need to have my middle fingers on the gas/brake triggers leaving my pointer fingers free to use the shift buttons......this gets kinda tiring (cramps my hand up, tires my hands) and I have fairly large hands even. Does anyone else feel this way and what alternate button layout works best (if any)? I really want a wheel but cant afford it and don't understand why they are so expensive anyway.

Rambo_Commando
31-05-2015, 04:46
I had the same issue. I use a Gran Turismo layout for my DS4. Meaning, I use R3 as throttle/braking. R1 and L1 is for shifting up and down. R2 and L2 is for KERS and DRS.

I find this layout to be comfortable for my hands. Hope this helps.

Freezin
31-05-2015, 05:03
I used to have an Xbox so I played Forza a lot in the past. I used a modified layout in Forza which had throttle/brake as R2/L2 and then Circle/Square as Upshift/downshift with X being your clutch. This way you can almost simultaneously hit clutch and upshift at the same time. Downside is no clutch modulation though. I've been using the same setup in project cars and it's pretty decent, takes a bit of practice getting used to the up and down shifts since you have to hit 2 buttons with one press, if you're using clutch that is. I always use my index fingers for gas and throttle (triggers). Then for Kers I use L1 since you probably won't need to be braking if you want to use Kers :P

neovdr
31-05-2015, 06:13
I used to have an Xbox so I played Forza a lot in the past. I used a modified layout in Forza which had throttle/brake as R2/L2 and then Circle/Square as Upshift/downshift with X being your clutch. This way you can almost simultaneously hit clutch and upshift at the same time. Downside is no clutch modulation though. I've been using the same setup in project cars and it's pretty decent, takes a bit of practice getting used to the up and down shifts since you have to hit 2 buttons with one press, if you're using clutch that is. I always use my index fingers for gas and throttle (triggers). Then for Kers I use L1 since you probably won't need to be braking if you want to use Kers :P

This is the same setup I use! I have DRS mapped to L3(clicking in the left analog) as I didn't have any other option.

Blind Speed
31-05-2015, 06:25
Actually.....I do like that a bit better. Thanks.

BDR Daz
31-05-2015, 06:29
I run on Xbox one,

Triggers are for Accelerate and Brake,
X is downshift,
B is Up shift,
Kers is on Left Bumper (you wont use Kers whilst braking so I use my index finger to control that when not using the brake),

In Forza I used to have the clutch on A so that you can hit both the clutch and gear at the same time but as of yet ive not assigned a button for Clutch

DRS is on Dpad left (same reason as the Kers, I can use my thumb when not steering to activate Kers because you wont be turning whilst activating)