PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie question .....

Angst1974
30-05-2015, 20:55
Totally new to ALL racing games (sans Pole Position on the C64 , and a few that long ago) .

Why are there no catastrophic crashes ?

Just playing in free practice I hit a wall head on at over 100mph in a Ford Focus ... I should be pretty messed up and the car would not be able to move.

Needs airbag deployment :)

Roger Prynne
30-05-2015, 20:57
Have you got damage set to "ON"?

Irishnewblood
30-05-2015, 21:03
You're never gonna get any car smash to absolute bits in a game, well not a real one anyway. Most car company's won't license their cars if they think you're gonna do that to them as they want to put their best foot forward and have the shiny car, beautiful to look at and there seems to be an anxiety that they all have that if your bumper comes off hitting a cone you think that the bumper will fall off easily in real life. Stupid I know but there you go.

Angst1974
30-05-2015, 21:04
Have you got damage set to "ON"?

Absolutely ....

Angst1974
30-05-2015, 21:06
You're never gonna get any car smash to absolute bits in a game, well not a real one anyway. Most car company's won't license their cars if they think you're gonna do that to them as they want to put their best foot forward and have the shiny car, beautiful to look at and there seems to be an anxiety that they all have that if your bumper comes off hitting a cone you think that the bumper will fall off easily in real life. Stupid I know but there you go.

That makes no sense .... in the game I hit a wall at 100mph and drive away ... IRL you hit a wall at 100mph and you are not even going to walk away . Seems to be a silly lawsuit waiting

Bealdor
30-05-2015, 21:07
The mechanical damage sensitivity is a bit on the low side I agree.
As for the visual damage, Irishnewblood is correct about those licensing restrictions.

Irishnewblood
30-05-2015, 21:12
That makes no sense .... in the game I hit a wall at 100mph and drive away ... IRL you hit a wall at 100mph and you are not even going to walk away . Seems to be a silly lawsuit waiting

I'm with you dude, But it is what it is....

E30_Hntsvl
30-05-2015, 21:24
You have to hit wall at 100 mph, get back up to speed and slam into something else, then do it again. Eventually car is screwed.

Try WreckFest for some awesome car crumpling physics. Game is sick.

Bealdor
30-05-2015, 21:28
...Try WreckFest for some awesome car crumpling physics. Game is sick.

And the reason why they can do this is that they're not having licensed cars. ;)

Kitt
30-05-2015, 21:45
Dont try wreckfest,games a rip off an never gets updated...try beamng drive instead

pigsy
31-05-2015, 00:48

An read an interview with the developers of AC on damage and they debunk this theory. They say they had no interference from manufactures about car damage. Only that you couldn't show people getting injured.

Irishnewblood
31-05-2015, 00:53
An read an interview with the developers of AC on damage and they debunk this theory. They say they had no interference from manufactures about car damage. Only that you couldn't show people getting injured.

I'm no expert mate. Could be because AC is a hardcore sim on pc, so they would expect the likes of us to know more about cars as say the average xbox and ps4 user. I'd imagine the casual aspect of ps4 and xbox may come into play as well and the likelihood of more people seeing console games as opposed to pc games. This is all speculation of course because the bottom line is I just don't know 100 percent.

Angst1974
10-06-2015, 01:09
Crashes should look like this :

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/09/gt4-red-bull-ring-crash-video/

Both drivers are ok

jason
10-06-2015, 02:38
Sounds to me like people want the game to punish you when you mess up like in real life , I'm not talking about visual damage ( as much as I do want that ) I'm talking about if a car hits the wall at 100 k that's it it's all over for you.

This is what I want to see in this game , the dumbed down damage is awful. Please give us the option to have it as real as possible PLEASE !!!