PDA

View Full Version : Drops in the side-windows: does it need tuning down?

dyr_gl
30-05-2015, 22:55
I am a cockpit view user, and I love the job you have done with this game: not only you provided a good basic initial baseline that works for every car, you also let in some options to tweak it. I´m SO comfortable with this cam in this game! I feel I can race with no silly proximity arrows or anything, the car mirrors work well, they have range to see divebombs comming (even in console), etc.

But there´s a bit of a problem when things get wet: the drops in the side window. In real life they don´t accumulate that hard, the wind pulls them back and you get "lines", not static drops. In the game they stay there and obscure the whole window, making the mirrors on that side useless and making racing guess work sometimes.

Look at this video to see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLS7918YDo

If you have a car in your peripheral vision zone you still see it, but relying on the mirror reflection is impossible because the window is full of drops that shouldn´t stay there like that.

cerbrus2
30-05-2015, 23:01
I agree with this, there doesn't seem to be any form of physics attached to the rain in order to make them move. At speed the rain drops should be dragging back off of the side windows, and indeed the front too.

I am guessing there is a lot of work to do this, and to be fair to the Dev's they have a lot to sort out before this. but yeah it does need sorting out eventually for realism purposes.

dyr_gl
30-05-2015, 23:05
I can understand this happening in the front one, as drops splat head on. But on the side the effect should be lighter. It doesn´t matter at all, until you realize there´s a mirror there. I´m not complaining for the "prettyness" or whatever, it´s just that it obscures a key part of the car that shouldn´t be obscured.

LordDRIFT
31-05-2015, 01:48
While they shouldn't remain static road spray will always keep the sides somewhat obscured. JS.

Lawndarts
31-05-2015, 02:06
We use rain X on sides or rear or remove the windows preferably (if rules allow) in our race cars but spray still blinds just as bad in the rain. Be thankful PCARS doesn't simulate pits and scratches on the windscreen, you might be surprised how poor the visibility is even in the dry with a well used windscreen :)

Andy Apex
31-05-2015, 02:43
I am a cockpit view user, and I love the job you have done with this game: not only you provided a good basic initial baseline that works for every car, you also let in some options to tweak it. I´m SO comfortable with this cam in this game! I feel I can race with no silly proximity arrows or anything, the car mirrors work well, they have range to see divebombs comming (even in console), etc.

But there´s a bit of a problem when things get wet: the drops in the side window. In real life they don´t accumulate that hard, the wind pulls them back and you get "lines", not static drops. In the game they stay there and obscure the whole window, making the mirrors on that side useless and making racing guess work sometimes.

Look at this video to see what I mean:

Youtube video above

If you have a car in your peripheral vision zone you still see it, but relying on the mirror reflection is impossible because the window is full of drops that shouldn´t stay there like that.

It's those dad-gum sticky windows again > We need virtual bottles of RainX I tell ya ! :-) 205465

Xereau
31-05-2015, 03:03
I agree. Also, when at speed the droplets on the windscreen should be pushed up and to the sides.

Small niggling complaints, really. However, it's my understanding that an update to the droplet effects on glass is in the works, so here's hoping they see this thread and others like it!

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 09:14
Good news if true! I imagine it must be towards the bottom in the to-do list but it needs to be looked at. Even at highway speeds water goes away on the side windows, I'm sure it does even more at racing speeds.

Pr3t3nd3r
31-05-2015, 10:17
I agree. Also, when at speed the droplets on the windscreen should be pushed up and to the sides.

Small niggling complaints, really. However, it's my understanding that an update to the droplet effects on glass is in the works, so here's hoping they see this thread and others like it!

As far as I know they are working on the raindrops to have an effect similar if not the same as in Driveclub. But we have to wait a little bit longer because there are more important things (read bugs) that have to be polished :)

mister dog
31-05-2015, 10:19
If there would be room for implementing this (as PCARS is already using a lot of a PC's/ consoles available power), copying Driveclub's system would be a very good thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViwrRGfuHU

Pr3t3nd3r
31-05-2015, 10:21
If there would be room for implementing this (as PCARS is already using a lot of a PC's/ consoles grunt), copying Driveclub's system would be a very good thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViwrRGfuHU

But bear in mind taht this game is locked to 30 FPS while pCARS is on 60 FPS. SO they need to optimize new effect before implementing it.

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 10:23
WOW, look at that and then compare with the OP footage... No contest!

I would set for something a bit less complex than that, I bet the physics system drains far more resources in PCARS.

mister dog
31-05-2015, 10:26
Yeah that's the benefit of arcade racers, you can use all the resources for eye candy as there is not much else to calculate.

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 10:30
A simple script should do though. Under 60km/h drops are roundy and static. Over 60 km/h drops become lines pulling backwards. That should do it. In the OP footage you see they are the same at slow and fast speed.

Roger Prynne
31-05-2015, 10:35
A simple script should do though. Under 60km/h drops are roundy and static. Over 60 km/h drops become lines pulling backwards. That should do it. In the OP footage you see they are the same at slow and fast speed.
No it's much more complicated than that mate.... but it is in the pipeline to do better rain effects though... also there is so much more going on in pCARS that eats up the resources as a lot of you realize.

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 10:58
Yeah we can imagine, only opening the telemetry HUD mode gives a fairly good idea of how much stuff is running on the background all the time!