PDA

View Full Version : Do AI slipstream?

Ryzza5
31-05-2015, 00:53
Noticed in a slow car (Formula Rookie) on some long straights (Bathurst) that I could draft the AI and get alongside fairly early, but they in turn didn't seem to really benefit from drafting other AI in front of them...

Have a look at this video and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-4Qa9Lhac&list=PLJO09rIH740pDHZUBTv7WtSWJzAGUvXjA&index=1

[+] Ignore this - noticed AI slipstreaming working correctly with other cars, so must be a FR thing.

IgorTheHunchback
31-05-2015, 01:04
You seam to have the AI ability set to a low percentage which makes it easy for you to drive by the AI (you weren't drafting). However the AI will all be equal amongst themselves to whatever ability percentage you set them at so will have to race each other.

Ryzza5
31-05-2015, 01:33
AI would have been at 80%

Drafting and challenging corners would in fact slow them down compared to following each other. If anyone does have footage to show the AI slipstreaming each other then that would answer the the question. :)

k.merse
31-05-2015, 07:20
After watching a few videos and my previous races it seems that AI doesn't do much slipstreaming. Granted, they stay behind the opponent, but only as long as he stays on the racing line, and even when the following car decides to make the move, it makes usually earlier than a human player would so it doesn't get so much extra boost from the slipstream. A human player usually breaks out form slipstream in the very last second, while the AI (maybe playing safe rather than sorry) starts the overtaking maneuver much sooner.

JDFSSS
31-05-2015, 08:03
I'm fairly sure they don't, based on my experience playing with 100% AI. One thing that is for sure, is the AI makes no effort to slip stream. They just stick to their line like they aren't even aware a car is in front of them. Even when they are lined up perfectly nose-to-tail it seems like I fly right by them when I slipstream them, which leads me to believe the AI is not affected by slip streaming. This could be a pretty big problem for any oval content SMS releases.

loslogo
31-05-2015, 08:08
Yeah well hopefully they aren't releasing any oval content Zzzzz...

JDFSSS
31-05-2015, 08:13
Yeah well hopefully they aren't releasing any oval content Zzzzz...

I think it's pretty much 100% that oval content is coming.

Charles Gillen
31-05-2015, 08:41
While racing the Mercedes EVO earlier tonight at Hokkenhiem, I noticed that during qualifying three cars at the front of the pack were getting better lap times than the rest of the drivers. Seemed to me that they were drafting off one another. They werent as fast during the race either. I could be wrong. I couldnt get anywhere near them as the rest of the pack were busy trying to kill my car. Those guys are just plain ol' rude.

Charles

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 11:41
Im a bit curious about the draft in this game. I have questions...

- Is there "dirty air" effect simulated through corners for open wheel cars? (lost of grip following another car closely through mid-high speed corners)
- Is slipstream proximity and speed dependant as it should? (as in stronger the closer and stronger the higher the speed both cars do)

I also wonder sometimes if its even there in the first place, have a look at 11:00-11:20 in this video. Then to 12:10 to 12:30 which is an onboard replay of the same action... how is it possible that getting a much better exit and being GLUED to his rear that guy is pulling away from me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByF6gskeB8c

mcarver2000
31-05-2015, 14:53
My experience indicates that the AI can not take advantage of slipstreaming from either the human or other AI drivers. I have used their slipstream to blow by them (even against AI that are generally running faster times than I am). I am also pretty certain that the AI are not affected by dirty air in the turns.

bmanic
31-05-2015, 15:06
That's how it seems.. I haven't seen the AI getting any drafting benefits. Then again I haven't driven any formula type cars extensively yet where you'd get the benefit.

KartKingCorre
31-05-2015, 15:58
I'm also pretty sure the AI doesnt get any slipstream. Not from the player, not from other AI.. offline that is.. havent tested it with the AI in an online race.

Ryzza5
14-06-2015, 12:32
I've since noticed that other AI cars do slipstream off each other and off me - on the Nordschliefe back straight, so it must have been a unique Formula Rookie thing.

Also,

The slip streaming effect is there and is more complex than you'd probably think. Beyond the already stated details, we actually take into account the wake of up to three cars in front.

mcarver2000
14-06-2015, 14:05
All I can say is that with the Formula B at tracks like Spa and Monza the AI cars are almost dead in the water when it comes getting any draft affect from either the human driver or from each other. It's almost pathetic to pass 3 cars down the front straight at Monza, leaving them in the dust at the chicane. AI @90%. This needs to be addressed before they release (or should I say 'should they') the Indy package.

I've since noticed that other AI cars do slipstream off each other and off me - on the Nordschliefe back straight, so it must have been a unique Formula Rookie thing.