PDA

View Full Version : Caterham 7 classic cold tires

Griffinator233
31-05-2015, 08:02
So I'm trying to do road entry UK cup and the Caterham tires never warm up and it just slides the rear end on corners. Anyone else having this issue?

Griffinator233
31-05-2015, 08:20
OK I drove the car as hard as I could and after 4 laps the back tires started to get warm fronts stayed cold. It seemed like the rear end got even more lose after they got warm and when a AI car smashed me mid turn it went up on 2 wheels and again when I slid into some sand.

John Hargreaves
31-05-2015, 08:24
It's not so critical that road tyres don't heat up as much, and those things can be pretty drifty irl, so I'd just enjoy it and get the hang of chucking it around, it's a great little car.

Beagle Five
31-05-2015, 08:33
If you could catch and hold slides in this game this wouldnt be a problem but something fun and positive, just like these cars are in real life.
Thats why I started a thread about it, but naming it "drifting" made everybody missunderstand what I tried to raise.

You should be able to play with the weight of the car and balance it. Only thing close to it is power oversteer, but that is something completely different, and not even that is really as it should be.

How much it is the controller settings not beeing optimized and how much its physics based... I dont know.

Try doing a scandinavian flick and see what happends...

Luke Townsend
31-05-2015, 08:38
I'm in the same event in my career! ;) Yes, road tyres and you did well - I've never even got one tyre to turn green yet lol. Don't think it matters as it has more grip on cold tyres than the other cars have on cold slicks. The Caterham 7 Classic is the only car in the game I've driven in real life and it's pretty close to reality I would say (once the FFB is tweaked up thanks to Jack Spade and BManic's settings). I had to lower front tyre pressure a bit to get more turn in, for my style of driving anyway. It's good fun, and the lift-off oversteer can be handy if it's still not turning enough. :) I do find I have to brake earlier than expected and with less brake pressure than other cars as the wheels want to lock very easily. Again probably because it's road tyres with treads rather than sticky slicks.

Luke Townsend
31-05-2015, 08:41
If you could catch and hold slides in this game this wouldnt be a problem but something fun and positive, just like these cars are in real life.
Thats why I started a thread about it, but naming it "drifting" made everybody missunderstand what I tried to raise.

You should be able to play with the weight of the car and balance it. Only thing close to it is power oversteer, but that is something completely different, and not even that is really as it should be.

How much it is the controller settings not beeing optimized and how much its physics based... I dont know.

Haha, not tried a flick, but I find I'm sliding the rear round half the corners of Oulton Park without even trying! Definitely fun but not the quickest way, so trying to tidy up my cornering skills with this car. :)

Robhd
31-05-2015, 08:50
N

Are you using a wheel? If so try the latest wheel setting advice which is brilliant and transformed th Caterham using my TX.

Beagle Five
31-05-2015, 08:56
N

Are you using a wheel? If so try the latest wheel setting advice which is brilliant and transformed th Caterham using my TX.

No. Pad. And thats part of the problem as xbox one controller is so bad from the start, no resistance what so ever

Nemesis X2
31-05-2015, 09:50
The caterhams do lack grip but that's the fun with them.. Get used to their limits and respect them when driving. Immensely satisfying when it clicks, same as other cars in the game.

Griffinator233
31-05-2015, 16:59
using a controller ATM as it seems everyone is sold out of the TX wheel right now. plus where I live u don't want a package sitting at ur front door when ur not home.

Jeyrod
31-05-2015, 19:00
I HATED this car for the first race or two with them. But I was able to get a second and a first the last two races. Very slippery cars

Griffinator233
31-05-2015, 21:42
ok so i''m getting used to the car but the AI in these races is insane. they smash me all over the track including pushing me sideways down the straights.

TheReaper GT
01-06-2015, 05:38
Try soften the rear suspension a little bit, it worked for me

PeoplesChampion
01-06-2015, 11:04

We should race together sometime.. I can show you things.

Spiny Anteater
01-06-2015, 18:37
To the OP, I noticed the same thing in terms of it not warming the tyres. My solution was to lower the tyre pressures (from memory they're set at something like 1.18bar Front and 1.22 bar Rear). I also ended up making some other changes to tame the handling which helped a lot with the pace (low 1:31 at Donington National, mid 1:16 at Oulton Fosters). From cold, it still takes about 2-3 laps to turn the rears green, and another lap before the fronts start to change, but it does feel as if you have a lot more grip.

...but the AI in these races is insane. they smash me all over the track including pushing me sideways down the straights.

Personally I found the opposite to be true (certainly they are soooooooooooooo much better than Forza's drivatars). For example, yesterday on the last lap at Donington, I was on the outside at Redgate (1st corner) where there was light side-to-side contact, then me and the AI ran side-by-side down through the Craner Curves before I was able to carry enough momentum through the right-hander at the bottom of the hill to keep the place. I've seen professionals make a worse job of that so great work on the AI in my opinion. To make things even better, the same AI driver then tried all sorts of tricks (feints, undercuts) before outbraking himself in the last corner and losing ground. Watching the replay, it was very easy to imagine I was watching a real race - almost certainly the best AI performance I've seen in any game:applause:

TheReaper GT
01-06-2015, 23:38
Watch one TUDOR race and you will think that those AI racers are like little kids trying to push each other. As Spiny Anteater said, great job on the AI behavior.

SchnauzahPowah
01-06-2015, 23:59
Try lowering the default tire pressure by about ten clicks up front and 14 rears. Lower the traction/slip to about 2 or 3, Stiffen the front springs and lower the rear a bit. Depending all upon the track ofcourse lower the fuel to about 5. I've also fiddled with the brake balance so the rear end doesn't swing out, I set it at 52%. To each their own, I'm just wrapping up this season on career - Even at 60% difficulty, its pretty rough.

Griffinator233
02-06-2015, 14:57
Thanks for all the tips. Found a post about the controller setup and that helped alot on it own.

Vitamin R
05-06-2015, 13:23
Honestly, I like how it handles on cold tires more than on scuffs.