PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a good budget FFB Wheel for PC

Fallen_Tyrael
31-05-2015, 09:16
Hi all,

I got the awesome gift of Project cars (for the PC) :D However i only have the old xbone 360 wheel and pedals that does work with project cars but is a ballache to set up and the force feedback doesnt work properly (only center spring and rumble do) because microsoft wont support it for the PC despite promising that they would a couple of years ago. Which is a shame because the build quality and FFB are really good (for its price) when its connect to a xbone 360 and playing grid or forza.

So i'm in the market for a new wheel and pedals that has good force feedback and flappy panels for gears however my budget is low (50/$75). I have been looking on ebay and i'm thinking of getting the Logitech Driving Force EX but im not sure as its old and seems that wheel was meant for the ps2 and ps3 and although it apparently works for PC and pCars, im a little worried that id get it and it be a pain to get working or not work at all...

This is where i need suggestions/help from you guys and gals, what do i get?

Lars Rosenquist
31-05-2015, 09:34
With that budget you need to either lower your requirements or go for second hand. Perhaps a used Driving Force Pro is an option? And perhaps it's worth waiting for Logitechs new wheel (e.g. people may dump existing wheels on ebay, etc for you to scoop up?). Maybe a T100 is also within range, but not sure if it's any good.

Roger Prynne
31-05-2015, 09:48
You also need to make sure you get one that has 900 deg as well to make the most of pCARS.

Forcedchaos
31-05-2015, 09:48
With that budget you need to either lower your requirements or go for second hand. Perhaps a used Driving Force Pro is an option? And perhaps it's worth waiting for Logitechs new wheel (e.g. people may dump existing wheels on ebay, etc for you to scoop up?). Maybe a T100 is also within range, but not sure if it's any good.

The T100 is fantastic! I'm using it and I have to turn linkage almost all the way down and have the Force Feedback at only 40% and the damn thing feels like it's going to crack my desk when playing! Don't let the $130 price tag fool you, it's a great Force Feedback wheel.

Forcedchaos
31-05-2015, 09:49
You also need to make sure you get one that has 900 deg as well to make the most of pCARS.

No you don't. All you guys with your $600 wheels, ridiculous. T100 works just fine. And I raced a Mustang GT in real life for 15 years so I know what I'm talking about. Don't be telling people you have to spend that kind of money on a peripheral to enjoy the game, that's simply not true.

Lars Rosenquist
31-05-2015, 10:24
No, it isn't, but the OP is asking specifically for good FFB. The T100 has FFB, but AFAIK it's rubber band + rumble and not real FFB in the sense of other (more expensive) wheels. Might be good enough for the OP or not, but it something that should be noted. He wants the best bang for his buck.

Fallen_Tyrael
31-05-2015, 10:34
Thank you all for your replies keep the suggestions coming :)

The simple fact is that im not a rich person but i do love my racing/flight/space simulators so for example my joystick is a cyborg evo force... when i got one new when it came out it cost 50 and its an awesome budget force feedback stick with a little tweaking/modding and its always been supported in games. Now you can get a 2nd hand one off ebay for 15 so if i ever spill coffee on it and mess up a motor i can easily and cheaply fix it.

This is what im looking for in a wheel and pedal set, something that maybe old and cheap but has good force feedback and is supported by most games and can also take a bit of a thrashing. I mean if this xbone wheel worked like it did on the 360 but on the pc id be chuffed, because it was what i wanted from a wheel. But alas microsoft driver support for it doesnt exist so i cant have the enjoyment out of it i once had :(

John Hargreaves
31-05-2015, 10:43
I've had all sorts of wheels over the last 20 years, with and without ffb, and like anything, you get what you pay for. Having said that, personally I would take any wheel over a gamepad for pCars, even if it was a second hand 10 plastic job. If you're skint, which most of us have been/will be at some point in life, start at the bottom and save up if you get into it.
Many people would think that someone who paid as much for a wheel as they did for the console in the first place was simply insane. But if you ask anyone who has stepped over that line, you won't get too many people moaning.
Once you experience pCars with a wheel you won't want to go back.

NemethR
31-05-2015, 10:47
I now use my 3rd Logitech MOMO Racing wheel.
its not perfect, but uts a very good wheel, and I really grown to love it.

I am not sure if they sell it still, but getting a good one 2nd hand might be a thing worth doing.

Fallen_Tyrael
31-05-2015, 11:09
Ok looking on ebay the T100 looks like it might be a pretty good wheel and maybe what im looking for but that price range would be my absolute top end and it will take a little while to save for.
The Logitech MOMO seems like it might be quite hard for me to get a hold of within budget and in the UK :( and the logitech driving force pro is a about the same price but there seems to be more of them.

Has anyone here used a Logitech Driving Force EX on the PC? seems to be a lot of those and within budget.

Thank you all again for your help and suggestions, I know joysticks but as you can probably tell im a bit novice when it comes to wheels so your suggestions are appreciated :)

EDIT: I maybe able to get a Logitech Driving Force GT at budget, but are they any good? agh the choices lol

Lars Rosenquist
31-05-2015, 12:36
DFGT is a great entry level wheel.

Daynja
31-05-2015, 12:43
Driving Force GT,I use this has 900 degress, decent enough force feedback (enhanced with Jake Spad FFB on this forum) Its cheap to buy online markets like ebay

cerbrus2
31-05-2015, 13:00
DFGT or the MOMO are good wheels to be had for around 50 second hand. Ide go for the DFGT over the Momo, mainly due to all the extra buttons you have to map functions to. Also the DFGT is 900 degree wheel. Where as from what i remember the MOMO is only 180 possibly 240 degrees.

Mr.Smoke
31-05-2015, 13:07
The T100 is fantastic! I'm using it and I have to turn linkage almost all the way down and have the Force Feedback at only 40% and the damn thing feels like it's going to crack my desk when playing! Don't let the $130 price tag fool you, it's a great Force Feedback wheel.

Im also using a T100 & am really enjoying it. I keep settings at the stickied spreadsheet & find it to work just great.

No, it isn't, but the OP is asking specifically for good FFB. The T100 has FFB, but AFAIK it's rubber band + rumble and not real FFB in the sense of other (more expensive) wheels. Might be good enough for the OP or not, but it something that should be noted. He wants the best bang for his buck.

Best bang for your buck in a FFB wheel is a T100 IMHO. It is NOT a rubber band wheel. That is the T80.

Fallen_Tyrael
31-05-2015, 19:01
Ok after reading all of your suggestions and doing a little more research of my own i think i have decided to get the Logitech Driving Force GT, the T100 looks like a good wheel but its double the price of the DFGT. I understand it maybe worth it but i cant stretch that far right now, still... if i dont get on with the DFGT id probably save up then sell it to get the T100.

Thank you to everyone that helped, you're all awesome :)

Roger Prynne
31-05-2015, 19:05
Have fun mate.

k.merse
31-05-2015, 20:00
Thrustmaster T100, or Logitech MOMO Racing would be my choices. I tried the T100 only once, but it was good, and I'm having my MOMO for 10 years now and it still works perfectly.