PDA

View Full Version : The 'Reset car' Discussion

Perkele
31-05-2015, 13:43
First to say, I love this game. I'm xbox player and patch 1.3 fixed almost every problem and have had blast with game since 5 minutes ago..

Was playing multiplayer in watkins glen gp, leading race with someone right on my tail for couple of laps. Then he "forgot" to turn in first corner, pushed me out from track and hit 'reset car' he jumped back to track and drove away when I was still trying to get back to track. I have not even mapped that to controller because It's opposite to any kind of simulation what this game is searching for. If you make mistake and go off track or spin whatever then you should take consequences and lose time like in real life.

I'm so pissed off right now for something like that to be possible and hope that command is removed from atleast multiplayer, or someone tell me why this function even is in game..

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 13:45
So true! This option shouldn't even be there in the first place.

JessicaWalter
31-05-2015, 13:45
oh wow. i didn't even know that button functioned in multiplayer. i too don't even have it mapped

Daynja
31-05-2015, 13:49
First to say, I love this game. I'm xbox player and patch 1.3 fixed almost every problem and have had blast with game since 5 minutes ago..

Was playing multiplayer in watkins glen gp, leading race with someone right on my tail for couple of laps. Then he "forgot" to turn in first corner, pushed me out from track and hit 'reset car' he jumped back to track and drove away when I was still trying to get back to track. I have not even mapped that to controller because It's opposite to any kind of simulation what this game is searching for. If you make mistake and go off track or spin whatever then you should take consequences and lose time like in real life.

I'm so pissed off right now for something like that to be possible and hope that command is removed from atleast multiplayer, or someone tell me why this function even is in game..

Partly as some of the player base have come from games where this feature is normal.

I too want it removed. Despite it making the car non contactable so that you dont hit it, its a huge concentration breaker especially on tracks like Mount Panorama, or Monaco(Azure GP).
This I personally believe is on of the biggest contributors to poor driving craftsmanship. By porting you car back on track, all it does is promote utter carelessness because there is little downside to coming off the track.

I personally dont use it, and I never ever will, but I have heard it also fixes or removes the damage just caused by the crash prior to the incident.If true this will further cause poor quality driving, if a player never learns that there are real life consequences for driving badly

Yorkie065
31-05-2015, 13:50
It's there as a fail safe for those times when you truely get stuck off the track and can't get back due to whatever reason. And I mean like, bugged into a barrier and can't move sort of situation. It's just a lot of players who have come from other games that have it, abuse it to get back to track quickly as a 'get out of jail free' card all the time, and not accept punishment of having to drive back and recover onto the track after their incident. It frustrates me too, and I think an option in the lobby settings to allow it or disallow it would be a good idea for those who properly want to simulate racing and it would help alleviate the problem for a number of us without removing it from the game when it is needed in those certain situations. So for those who run with it disallowed and crash and get stuck, you have to deal with it by making it back to the pits, or retire.

wraithsrike
31-05-2015, 13:53
Didn't even know there was one.

Daynja
31-05-2015, 13:54
It's there as a fail safe for those times when you truely get stuck off the track and can't get back due to whatever reason. And I mean like, bugged into a barrier and can't move sort of situation. It's just a lot of players who have come from other games that have it, abuse it to get back to track quickly as a 'get out of jail free' card all the time, and not accept punishment of having to drive back and recover onto the track after their incident. It frustrates me too, and I think an option in the lobby settings to allow it or disallow it would be a good idea for those who properly want to simulate racing would help alleviate the problem for a number of us without removing it from the game when it is needed in certain situations. So for those who run with it disallowed and crash and get stuck, you have to deal with it by making it back to the pits, or retire.

Indeed. I have similar views. I would also like to see punishments for players that ignore the yellow flag(car stopped) warnings because they didnt slow down when a car was blocking the track or there was still a crash slightly off track (the types that cause yelllows & or safety cars). Mount Panorama and Azure GP suffer greatly for speeding when yellow warnings are out and there is a car blocking the track. Trollers can get away with anything too if the car isnt removed after a set time has passed. Players that ignore warning and go full speed under yellow also need to be taught that its just not the done thing.

RetroNooB
31-05-2015, 15:39

I think its a mandatory button bind aswell, shame cos i could use said button for more important feature/s

N0body Of The Goat
31-05-2015, 15:55
Besides allowing instant return to track, rather than a message "resetting to track when safe in 5/4/3/2/1 seconds..." there is another issue.

Resets are currently being implemented in unsafe situations. Someone who has had an off moment should not be allowed to reset, if there is a car that will reach that reset point in less than ~3 seconds. Right now, someone can reset right in front of me, resulting in a collision (and typically damage) or I lose time slowing/swerving around them.

MABlosfeld
31-05-2015, 16:29
I have been following the forum the many tips to solve this or that
some problems are specific to the game
but others are caused by players

There are two types of players:
A) professional players (simulator)
B) casual players (arcade)

PCars is a flexible match for all types of players
you can set it 100% simulator or arcade or something in between
as a type (Simulator) wants to play with rules, serious and professional
the other wants to play without worrying about settings, rules and penalties
In my humble opinion most problems is the possibility
of different types of players (simulator and arcade) can play together

THIS DOES NOT WORK

RetroNooB
31-05-2015, 16:34
Besides allowing instant return to track, rather than a message "resetting to track when safe in 5/4/3/2/1 seconds..." there is another issue.

Resets are currently being implemented in unsafe situations. Someone who has had an off moment should not be allowed to reset, if there is a car that will reach that reset point in less than ~3 seconds. Right now, someone can reset right in front of me, resulting in a collision (and typically damage) or I lose time slowing/swerving around them.

Tbh, and I want to be clear that I am not slagging the game here, but in a real life situation, if a car ends up in the kitty litter that usually results in race over (dnf)
if this were to be implemented as a "pro-sim" lobby setup option, it would kill several birds with 1 stone, i.e. promote better race etiquet, rid the session of trolls/wreckers and add to the realistic emmersion factor

RetroNooB
31-05-2015, 16:50
I have been following the forum the many tips to solve this or that
some problems are specific to the game
but others are caused by players

There are two types of players:
A) professional players (simulator)
B) casual players (arcade)

PCars is a flexible match for all types of players
you can set it 100% simulator or arcade or something in between
as a type (Simulator) wants to play with rules, serious and professional
the other wants to play without worrying about settings, rules and penalties
In my humble opinion most problems is the possibility
of different types of players (simulator and arcade) can play together

THIS DOES NOT WORK

Agreed, I guess something the simulator racers can look forward to abt fm6 is that all the arcade racers will have a different game to moan abt lol

Its kinda like the british mods n rockers thing from the sixties, the two dont mix well at all. :cool:

Haiden
31-05-2015, 17:32
It's there as a fail safe for those times when you truely get stuck off the track and can't get back due to whatever reason. And I mean like, bugged into a barrier and can't move sort of situation. It's just a lot of players who have come from other games that have it, abuse it to get back to track quickly as a 'get out of jail free' card all the time, and not accept punishment of having to drive back and recover onto the track after their incident. It frustrates me too, and I think an option in the lobby settings to allow it or disallow it would be a good idea for those who properly want to simulate racing and it would help alleviate the problem for a number of us without removing it from the game when it is needed in those certain situations. So for those who run with it disallowed and crash and get stuck, you have to deal with it by making it back to the pits, or retire.

No need to remove it. Stuck cars can create problems for other racers. Just make it so that players that use it get a 30 second penalty. That would solve the problem right there. Make the penalty longer than the average time it takes to drive back onto the track, and players will only use it as a last resort.

Machinist90
31-05-2015, 17:35
I need that function,no way I could drive the 24H of lemans without it when there's this pitlane bug,it's a good safetynet and demanding the removal of it is ignorant...if you don't want it...don't use it?

Daynja
31-05-2015, 17:48
I need that function,no way I could drive the 24H of lemans without it when there's this pitlane bug,it's a good safetynet and demanding the removal of it is ignorant...if you don't want it...don't use it?

Thats not good enough. It does more harm than good. Using it as a fail safe because of the pit bug isnt a good reason to keep the reset option. Once pit bugs are fixed (soon apparently) the rest to track option will still cause the same issues as before.

Its no good to others when a car warps back on track in front of them, it will often cause players to lose concentration causing them to crash which is completely unfair to the driver who has been surprised by the magic appearance of a car (the natural reaction is to emergency brake or swerve). It also promotes lazy driving because careless drivers know there is a "get out of jail" free button. This needs to go.

Racers need to learn that there are consequences to driving badly. Too many games over the years are giving casuals free passes to not play the game properly when they race amongst others that do take race games more seriously, and it has had detrimental side effects across race game community's.

EDIT:Perhaps it would be best rather than a removal, that we have the option to disable it when we create our lobbys, so that those that want it can use it and those that dont can remove it.

Machinist90
31-05-2015, 17:59
Thats not good enough. It does more harm than good. Using it as a fail safe because of the pit bug isnt a good reason to keep the reset option. Once pit bugs are fixed (soon apparently) the rest to track option will still cause the same issues as before.

Its no good to others when a car warps back on track in front of them, it will often cause players to lose concentration causing them to crash which is completely unfair to the driver who has been surprised by the magic appearance of a car (the natural reaction is to emergency brake or swerve). It also promotes lazy driving because careless drivers know there is a "get out of jail" free button. This needs to go.

Racers need to learn that there are consequences to driving badly. Too many games over the years are giving casuals free passes to not play the game properly when they race amongst others that do take race games more seriously, and it has had detrimental side effects across race game community's.

EDIT:Perhaps it would be best rather than a removal, that we have the option to disable it when we create our lobbys, so that those that want it can use it and those that dont can remove it.

agreed,for multiplayer there should be a denial of the function rather than removal,I only need it for when the game bugs out in singleplayer

spinkick
31-05-2015, 18:17
You dont have to disable it. Just ghost their car for 30 seconds (freeze them next to the track) then let them pull on.

JDFSSS
31-05-2015, 21:02
having a reset button in a serious racing sim is a joke. i've never got stuck before in this game. is this something that happens often?

it seems to me its in the game purely to cater to arcade/crasher type racers. i had never even heard of a reset button before this game and didn't know it was in the game until reading about it on these forums. it's pretty much game breaking for online in it's current state, along with the many other problems with online.

Machinist90
31-05-2015, 21:06
having a reset button in a serious racing sim is a joke. i've never got stuck before in this game. is this something that happens often?

it seems to me its in the game purely to cater to arcade/crasher type racers. i had never even heard of a reset button before this game and didn't know it was in the game until reading about it on these forums. it's pretty much game breaking for online in it's current state, along with the many other problems with online.

happens often in pitlane of Lemans

wraithsrike
31-05-2015, 21:17
Can not be that they just get reset to the back of the pack?

Perkele
01-06-2015, 09:40
Thank you all for your input on this. There is good opinions of things and I hope that developers take a minute to think about this, assuming this has reached them. My opinion is that this should be removed immediately because it breaks sense of simulation that this game is so hard trying to get. Actually I would be racing online right now but instead I'm here ranting of this stupid thing that killed my joy for online racing.. On other hand this is my opinion and everybody has their own.

But there is good suggestions how to come around this problem. If that command stays in game I'd say there is must be option to turn it off when making lobby. And if you get stuck or something it would be DNF in real life so I would accept it in this kind of "simulation", now there is no need for learning how to drive because errors can be forgotten by simply pressing button. And if it for some reason stays in game, you should be back of the pack like wraithsrike stated before me. If not then you should get same kind of penalty as cutting corner, I'd say at least 10 seconds and that you are ghost so people that can stay on road don't have to ruin their race when car magically appears on road.

Please, please do something for this.

jpmmuc
01-06-2015, 14:05
My opinion is that this should be removed immediately because it breaks sense of simulation that this game is so hard trying to get. Actually I would be racing online right now but instead I'm here ranting of this stupid thing that killed my joy for online racing.. On other hand this is my opinion and everybody has their own.

Interesting that some people want their ideas forced to all others ... as said before nobody is forcing you to use that feature. And if you want to drive only with people which have the same expectation as you you are free to use a server for your own or go racing in a league.

Sometimes I really like this feature especially when somebody has pushed me to gravel.

Platy
01-06-2015, 14:58
Rather than reset to the track, can't it reset them so theyre on their wheels facing the right way where they've pressed the button?

So maybe the middle of thr gravel trap, or near the wall, etc. Might cause less issues than cars suddenly appearing in the middle of the track.

MABlosfeld
01-06-2015, 15:16
Note: the options are default (not customized)
A) TRAINING: reset button on
B) QUALIFICATION: reset button on
C) RACE: reset button off

When using reset the car should be positioned on track
invisible for 5 seconds to not disrupt other players
or go straight to the pits

Haiden
01-06-2015, 15:55
Interesting that some people want their ideas forced to all others ... as said before nobody is forcing you to use that feature. And if you want to drive only with people which have the same expectation as you you are free to use a server for your own or go racing in a league.

Sometimes I really like this feature especially when somebody has pushed me to gravel.

I'd agree with you, if we were only talking single player. But it obviously gives the player using it an unfair advantage in MP. If you go off the track, you should have to take the time to drive back onto it. And if screwed up so bad that you're stuck on a wall, then that's just a DNF. Please explain why you think a player should be given this advantage in a MP race?

RetroNooB
01-06-2015, 16:37
When using reset the car should be positioned on track
invisible for 5 seconds to not disrupt other players
or go straight to the pits

Positioned on track but not on the racing line.

RetroNooB
01-06-2015, 16:46
Please explain why you think a player should be given this advantage in a MP race?

Because they dont know how to use brakes for corners ect lol ;)

MABlosfeld
01-06-2015, 16:57
This game is so flexible that it ends up being unfair
with those who want a clean race

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 17:05
WMD and SMS were in favor of removing the RESET button but as explained above there were legitimate reasons to leave it in the game. Peharps it can be made optionally locked for MP as an admin feature.

Perkele
01-06-2015, 17:26

Interesting that some people don't read what they are quoting. I'm not forcing my idea to anybody, It started with words 'my opinion' and ended with 'this is my opinion and everybody has their own' I just said what I think of that feature and everybody here can say what they think of it.

I'm glad nobody is forcing me to use that feature because I don't want to.

jpmmuc
01-06-2015, 18:23
I'd agree with you, if we were only talking single player. But it obviously gives the player using it an unfair advantage in MP. If you go off the track, you should have to take the time to drive back onto it. And if screwed up so bad that you're stuck on a wall, then that's just a DNF. Please explain why you think a player should be given this advantage in a MP race?

You are right if you want to have a 100% realistic feeling. My personal opinion is that I like more to have more cars on the track to race with, because that is what's bringing me fun. If I'm the fastest or even the slowest and are running complete alone than I could also go for an time triaI instead of an race.
That's makes me playing with others even when they use some assists and that since GP2 ;)
Summed up: Even if somebody uses some help that he/she needs is this not cutting my fun apart from that a fair racing on track is ongoing.

I have more trouble with people side sweeping me from the track -> then I use also the reset to track button ... :p

Interesting that some people don't read what they are quoting. I'm not forcing my idea to anybody, It started with words 'my opinion' and ended with 'this is my opinion and everybody has their own' I just said what I think of that feature and everybody here can say what they think of it.

I'm glad nobody is forcing me to use that feature because I don't want to.

As you can see this is also quoted, but nevertheless you have chosen the words: "should be removed immediately" and that's not very optional.
In this forum are a lot of people of the fraction only all assists off and all other stuff off is the only way to have fun even if in real world a lot of cars are equipped with e.g. ABS.
So I like it very much to have the option, that everybody can play as he/she likes to play and don't want this cut from the game.

mantukas334
01-06-2015, 18:31
i have set it up reset button but it doesnt even work for me

Perkele
01-06-2015, 20:25
Yeah I can see now that there could have been better words for that. I was angry when typed that and this is not my native language so sorry if there is other problems as well. Anyways you got my point.

MABlosfeld
01-06-2015, 20:29
The reset button is enabled in the practice and qualifying
brings the car to the pits
the races the button is off

lordymatsuo
03-06-2015, 14:51
I just did a search for "Reset to track" and to my amazement didn't find any posts with the title so here goes.

We really need an option to turn "Reset to track" off in online mode. We host competitive race tournaments and this feature feels like a cheat lol

If you spin out in a competitive race you should lose all the time it takes to recover and not just hit a magic button to be put back on track.

For now we just tell our members there is nothing we can do other than allow it so if you spin out we suggest you use it as others will be using it also. This is the only way to keep it fair but would be nicer to just turn it off completely in competitive lobbies.

HarryHoodlum
03-06-2015, 14:55
Holy smokes I just assumed that feature DIDNT work online and so I never used it. But that explains the magical car teleport in one of my replay videos.

Seems really obvious to have this off in online mode, doesn't it?

_MB_
03-06-2015, 14:56
Agreed or better still remove it

lordymatsuo
03-06-2015, 14:57
yeah it's really weird, when people use it, they are ghosted but don't flash or have a ghosted symbol on the car so people racing at speed, swerve to avoid them an it can cause even more issues online.

HarryHoodlum
03-06-2015, 15:01
yeah it's really weird, when people use it, they are ghosted but don't flash or have a ghosted symbol on the car so people racing at speed, swerve to avoid them an it can cause even more issues online.

Yup, I had that happen I think too. I swerved out of the way of a randomly "parked" car, slammed into a wall, just to see the guy starting to speed up behind me. At first I assumed it was a troll waiting for someone to crash into, but this makes more sense.

Please shut this off SMS!!!! I suck at this game in comparison to some people but at least I try to keep it real. This is just silly to have in competitive online modes.

KID--A
03-06-2015, 15:28
I love the racing mechanics of this game, and now that I seem to have my wheel problems under control I am having a lot of fun. But man... there are so many little things that pile up and make the experience a bit frustrating. I know they will patch most of this stuff, but I really wish it was more polished from the start.

One thing that is really annoying me lately is the quick reset during online matches. Someone will spin off in turn 1, then quick reset themselves on to the track. There are two problems with this mechanic.

1. They are ghosted, but I can't tell they are ghosted. So I panic and brake and swerve to avoid them when I really could have driven right through them and held my line. This is really annoying. If you are going to ghost cars at any time, you need to make is visually apparent to a remote viewer. (Also, you ghost when you quick reset but not when someone is driving reverse around the track trying to sabotage others? wtf?)

2. For a game that touts realism, why even have a quick reset button? You don't get a quick reset when you spin out for real.

Elmo
03-06-2015, 15:42
Merged with similar thread.

KID--A
03-06-2015, 15:54
Oh hey, there's a thread about this already. Thanks.

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 16:04
And merged again with the thread from yesterday on this topic. See post 29 and earlier.

I think immediately we can/should increase this to 10-15 seconds, 5 is not punitive enough.

Fong74
03-06-2015, 16:10
Why not adding an option to the online lobby system for that?

Default should be "allowed" for the less experienced/willing to fiddle with options type of players. All more sim-focused racers could disable it.

JessicaWalter
03-06-2015, 16:21
lots of merging goin on.

they should merge "reset car" with "retire to pit"

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 16:31
Has anyone yet been in a situation where they had a legitimate use of the reset cat button? Like you were REALLY stuck in some cornsr barrier and couldnt even reverse out of that spot?

Or is it pretty much only an abusive function now?

JDFSSS
03-06-2015, 16:52
Has anyone yet been in a situation where they had a legitimate use of the reset cat button? Like you were REALLY stuck in some cornsr barrier and couldnt even reverse out of that spot?

I've never been stuck like that in this game. Even if I did get stuck in a barrier, I would probably just retire from the race and accept my fate. If a car crashes into a barrier and gets stuck irl, it's going to be the end of the driver's race.

GT_Racing
03-06-2015, 17:34
So I see a lot of discussion going on and I figured i woudl throw in my two cents to see if anyone agrees. While I agree that the host should be able to turn it off; I like it being on. Not for quick restarts, but because of crazy people. I would rather somebody restart onto the track and not be hit by close cars then for somebody to just fly back on to the track with no regards for oncoming traffic. It is very often that I am going by a lapped dude who just spun out only to fling the car back on the track backwards with no thought. If the dude were to just hit the reset button it would be much more clean.

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 17:36
Resetting should also spawn the car off the driving line. Last night I was following a line of cars down a straight very closely. Next thing I know they all went through a ghost car and I slammed into a solid car sitting on the line. There is no way I could have seen the car, and they all went straight through it.

ciderman9000000
03-06-2015, 19:05

In 40hrs of gameplay I've only been stuck once when my Caterham 7 mounted a advertising hoarding at turn three of Oulton Park. TBH I didn't even know the reset button existed and certainly don't have it mapped, I managed to escape in end the after rocking back and forth for a minute or two.

I echo what everyone else here is saying. The reset button is a joke in online situations. If you do get truly stuck though, tough luck, it's a computer game; it very rarely happens so who cares? Rather that than have to race against teleporting opponents.

Martini Da Gasalini
03-06-2015, 19:16
Either have the option off in Online racing OR have the ability to turn the option off completely when creating a lobby, just like the other options to turn on/off O|

This is going to get cheesed by shitty glitchers to bump people off during turns and hit the button to be right back on track, it's an exploit waiting to happen if it's not happening already.

Diablo944
20-06-2015, 03:05
Came across the reset 'cheat' earlier. Got wiped out early on in first lap of a five lap race. I drove myself out of the area where i got nerfed too and rejoined the race, (The player using the reset option is one of the faster players in the group btw). I then Manage to reel him in a fair amount over the rest of the race and saw him spin out up the trackaways, then suddenly as i get near, tada! There he is on the track ready to go. So unlike my incident, knocked off track, hit wall, slap it in reverse, then spin trying to get off grass back to track, i now realise he (and others) are just using the reset option to avoid having to put any effort in. It sucks. Reset, if we are going to have it at all, should be for when you are upside down, or genuinely unable to continue. At the very least it should carry a hefty penalty, thirty seconds minimum comes to mind, and i really do mean minimum. But as it stands, in order to try and stay competitive, i have now started using the same reset rather than 'drive' to get out of trouble. Its yet another nail in the realism aspect. Worse still, pretty much all the group are doing it now as its the only way to stay in with a chance to win ( gentlemens agreements only work when all parties follow the guidelines). Unfortunately, this practice now means that when they go online with strangers, they will likely use the same tactic, then others will see it happening, and before long its a mass of mario kart drivers.
Kill it online, or make it cost anyone who uses it dearly, sufficient to make touching the reset button a matter of absolute last resort.
Much as i knew the button existed, i had never used it in all my time playing it til tonight. I didnt even know where it was on the t300. But I spent the last couple of laps of a race earlier getting used to how it worked, and now, in the current group i am in a regular race session with, it will have to be a regular button of the game. I hate it with a vengeance, but i am damned if i am losing because others are using the reset 'cheat'.
That teleport from off track to back and ready to go though? its a genuine flow breaker. Any immersion in the race disappears and leaves you with the need for speed mentality. For a sim, it suffers badly for that buttons inclusion in online races.

lmp4 24
20-06-2015, 03:28
Tbh, and I want to be clear that I am not slagging the game here, but in a real life situation, if a car ends up in the kitty litter that usually results in race over (dnf)
if this were to be implemented as a "pro-sim" lobby setup option, it would kill several birds with 1 stone, i.e. promote better race etiquet, rid the session of trolls/wreckers and add to the realistic emmersion factor

Separate leaderboard times also would great "pro-sum" and arcade

KK78
20-06-2015, 10:54
It should be a toggled option forthe host to pick but it also should reset the player back where they left the track (off the driving line) or even better simply reset the car at the side of the track.

FoxMulder
20-06-2015, 11:09
Agreed with all of the above, erase that feature completely or let us turn it off for online.

hkraft300
20-06-2015, 11:34
I use the reset button on a big off, but I have the HUD and map up all the time, and watch the map to not reset unless I have a big enough gap to approaching cars as I know I'll get reset on the racing line and don't want others wrecking my car :p

Diablo944
20-06-2015, 12:24
Maybe reset should become recover. Have a cople of marshalls out, then a crane pick our car up and dump it on a trailer, or on the other side of the track fence. Finish the race riding in the back of an ambulance or recover vehicle, then watch everyone else on a little tv in the pits.
Finish off with a message at final score screen saying player widdlywompo did not finish a race properly and used the 'i cant be bothered playing a simulator styled racer, give me a ridge racer style instead' button. strip them of their race position.

Of course, simple option is just kill it in online races or give a huge penalty for use

doneta
20-06-2015, 14:49
I've had resetting cars suddenly appear on my racing line, many times causing me to swerve and lose control. Resetting does not belong in multiplayer. :mad:

LemonVTS
20-06-2015, 21:35
Reset function has no place in a true racing simulator, if you need it then you are probably in a situation where you shouldn't even be continuing the race.
The excuse of getting stuck in barriers or pitstreet isn't even a valid argument since those are bugs which need to be fixed..

nhraracer
20-06-2015, 21:42
Have not used it and never will. I could see if people wanted it in sp mode, but online just seems like a cheat.

Sasquatch
20-06-2015, 21:55
In my honest opinion, the reset back to track is annoying for online racing and shouldn't existence in this game. I understand the failsafe method but it's extremely abused on the consoles. Mostly the "randy-rammers" will plow into you... say into the first mulsanne chicane on LaSarthe. Reset themselves and continue on as normal.

Apoc112
20-06-2015, 21:58
I don't mind that the option exists for certain situations, i guess, but would like to see an option in MP lobbies to disable resets. Would be yet another good filter to let us play with like-minded racers.

Shogun613
20-06-2015, 23:31
The reset function should reset the car back into the pits, or at least have an option to set it that way. I personally don't have "reset car" mapped, but I would use it if I could reset back to the pits when I crash and need repairs, because I hate having to drive a long lap with a screwed suspension or worse.
Resetting to the pits would also definitely cut down on the abuse during the race, big-time.

Angst1974
05-07-2015, 12:35
I just started playing online , and I , too found this rather annoying , make the reset a 30 second penalty if you can't remove it entirely .

Brent G
05-07-2015, 13:25
Bottom line, its a crap idea for a sim.

Willbert07
05-07-2015, 17:24
I'd rather have the reset option, than have to face 6 drivers cutting back across the track because they rammed someone else off and are facing backwards.

Mbondracing
05-07-2015, 17:43

Saw it in the button mapping options. Thought it was a waste of a wheel button and really goes against the realism I want from the game so it remains unmapped permanently. Sad that some people are using it!

Diablo944
05-07-2015, 18:04
Another byproduct of the reset is that it kills any thought of saving a replay where some arcade numty used it. So many replays ruined by the sudden teleportation of a car from off road to track. Reset is like a relic from arcade racers of the past.

TMoney
05-07-2015, 18:07
Very good points.

I think at minimum it should be a server option like driving aids and other things. Or just leave it for single player and remove it entirely online.

lordymatsuo
12-07-2015, 09:09
Online is getting very close to perfect with the recent corner cutting improvements but one feature which still makes competitive online racing unfair is "Reset to Track"

When it comes to competitive racing, if you spin out, you should lose the time it takes to recover and not just be able to reset to track. It also causes more incidents as they are reset back to the racing line and cars approaching at 150+ MPH swerve to avoid the car even though it is ghosted for a few seconds.

I would love an option for the host to disable this in online lobbies or just make it disabled in all online lobbies by default. There should be no need in an online lobby to reset to track, maybe there is a very very small chance your car gets stuck but that is so rare, does reset to track really make sense in online racing.

Liquid7394
12-07-2015, 12:29
An option to disable it would be good. Sometimes this happens though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RDQL3gSKTg

I was stuck like that for the rest of the race because I didn't have reset to track mapped to a button. It would've been nice if the game removed me from the track.

ChrisK
12-07-2015, 13:15
I can't get reset to track to freakin work at all.

tgrey
12-07-2015, 13:30

I can't get it to work either =\

I understand the argument that it's abused, but I also see the reason that it's needed... I think it should be a server option that can be disabled entirely.

But what if resetting didn't put you directly on the track, but instead put you facing forward *just* off of the track, in whatever grass or gravel was near-by... allowing quick pull on when traffic is light. Would that make it a little easier to tolerate?

lordymatsuo
12-07-2015, 14:31
@Liquid7394 Just lol at that video, great example of those rare occasions when it's actually needed. I have over 80 hours racing online and only once have we had a car that managed to flip on it's roof. Plus if the car does flip, it's realism we are after, that car should be returned to pit not reset to track :)

@ChrisK and @tgrey For reset to track to work you have to come to a complete stop, it won't work if you are still moving.

I agree there might be a very rare occasion like less than 1% of the time where it might really be needed but that rare occasion should not be the reason it's left on in all lobbies. I agree also a switch yes/no in lobby settings would be great to solve this.

tgrey
12-07-2015, 14:35
@ChrisK and @tgrey For reset to track to work you have to come to a complete stop, it won't work if you are still moving.

I've only ever tried it at a complete stop ;)

VBR
12-07-2015, 18:43
Reset to track has no place in a sim, in an arcade racer yes, but definitely not a sim. As for cars flipping on their roofs; yellow flag & remove car from race when no one' looking. Or if you fancy doing some seriously hard work SMS; animated marshals & cranes/tow trucks removing the offending vehicle.

:)

ChrisK
12-07-2015, 19:46
I've only ever tried it at a complete stop ;)

Me too.

Redslayer
12-07-2015, 19:59
An option to disable it would be good. Sometimes this happens though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RDQL3gSKTg

I was stuck like that for the rest of the race because I didn't have reset to track mapped to a button. It would've been nice if the game removed me from the track.

lmao.

The crash physics need some serious work in this game. But also lol at that shadow the car puts off :P

Diablo944
12-07-2015, 20:40
Reset shouod carry a huge (and i do mean huge) penalty and should only be applicable if the car is stuck. So maybe timed to only be available after thirty seconds stuck in one spot. Penalty should be a race ender, if you are incapacitated and need to use the reset it should cost, perhaps reset to pit, lose a lap and hold for x amount of time.

Replays are dead the moment someone does a reset, not forgetting the sudden disappearance and reappearance elsewhere in a race aspect that ruins any illusion of racing. Looks truly horrible when you see someone do it in a race.

Then again, if you are on your roof in a race, it should be race over. Its not like rallying where the spectators roll their sleeves up, roll the car upright and it races on.

Reset is crap. Racing line is crap. Otherwise the game is fairly good in general, best next gen racer to my mind, at least on ps4

Redslayer
13-07-2015, 01:25
Also, I wouldn't call online perfect, since the way corner cuts are handled is piss poor. Slow down penalties should have stopped existing in the 90s. And you get them for running wide lol. "OOh you lost a few seconds because you slid wide? Here let us slow you down for 5 seconds and lose you another 15 seconds to the other cars derp!" They are extremely unfair as they are now, and cause more harm than good when racing in close quarters. Usually causing the person behind more loss than the person who "cut" the corner.

AdM1
13-07-2015, 01:57
I always bloody forget it's there anyway and end up bringing myself back to the track.

spidey11
13-07-2015, 03:24

You normally don't need it when ur leading by as much as you do Roozy lol

thegt500
13-07-2015, 07:05
Another reason to disable reset to track online are the 'A hole' torpedoing crew who'll ram you in a corner, run off the track with you, then just reset whilst you struggle out of the gravel.
If your car is stuck, disabled or overturned, it should be either recovered to the pits for repairs, or retired if the damage is too severe. Resetting after ramming is rife online, if it was banned I feel it would help stop this practice.

Bealdor
13-07-2015, 07:12
Threads merged.

lordymatsuo
13-07-2015, 08:18
Is this not just an easy "ON/OFF" option in online lobbies and end of debate?

I'm failing to see why this would take too much time to add in a patch as I can't see it being a huge job, I'm failing to see why it needs to be debated in such detail.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong and this is a big job so it needs discussing before SMS decide to do it or not.

I just don't see it as a complex change to allow an on/off switch so hosts can just decide if they want it on or not.

There will always be people who want it on and others that want it off.

creepyd
13-07-2015, 09:16
Track reset is nice for those quick mad online races that are 3 laps or something.
I'm sure you all know the ones - arcade like races where nobody follows racing rules and stuff and you get whacked off the track lots - that's where you need track reset.
You are actually a ghost when you reset for a couple of seconds.

An option to disable track resets would be perfect rather than flat out disabling it in multiplayer.