PDA

View Full Version : Downforce and drag reduction when following other cars... is this working?

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 14:31
We all know that, when following another car closely, you get a slipstream that benefits you in the straights, and hurts you in the corners. The more downforce and drag a car generates, the more the effect benefits in the straights/punishes in the corners the driver behind.

Now, I have some questions for devs/WMD members that have plenty of experience with the game:

- Does slipstream have dynamic levels that make it stronger the faster cars travel and the closer the guy behind is? Or is it a toggle thing that activates within a certain distance and gives a fixed amount of extra speed?
- Is dirty air effect in the corners even in the game? I havenīt played much with single seaters admitedly, but when I did I didnīt ever feel less grip following a rival closely.
- Do these two effects have variable levels of importance depending on the class used? Ie: very high in Formula A, very low 0 in GT4.
- And a last one: are these effects present in all game modes? I ask because I had a GT3 race where the slipstream didnīt seem to do anything at all, as I can show you with footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByF6gskeB8c

Plenty of examples through the video, but best one is 11:05-11:20. Thereīs also a better shot of the same action at 12:10-12:30. I get a much better slingshot into the back straight, Iīm as close as humanly possible too, at high speed, and the guy starts pulling away all down the straight...

Elmo
31-05-2015, 14:45
- Does slipstream have dynamic levels that make it stronger the faster cars travel and the closer the guy behind is? Or is it a toggle thing that activates within a certain distance and gives a fixed amount of extra speed?

The slip stream is dynamically calculated, so there is no toggle or canned speed gain. It is definitely there,

- Is dirty air effect in the corners even in the game? I havenīt played much with single seaters admitedly, but when I did I didnīt ever feel less grip following a rival closely.

Yes, you should be able to feel it even in GT3 cars. Usually you front washes out at bit and you pick up understeer.

- Do these two effects have variable levels of importance depending on the class used? Ie: very high in Formula A, very low 0 in GT4.

Yes, it depends obviously on how the cars handle their aero. But it is far from zero in a GT4. The actually punch quite a hole into the air.

- And a last one: are these effects present in all game modes? I ask because I had a GT3 race where the slipstream didnīt seem to do anything at all, as I can show you with footage.

Yes, it is always enabled (only exception is following a ghost in TT).

In your example you are in a different car with different power, gearing and aero. So you can't really draw a conclusion from that. If you want to test it, grab a mate and go to Le Mans using the same car and setup.

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 15:23
You might be right on the different aero setup. I was making big gains on Copse and the esses.

Still not pulling alongside with such a perfect draft is iffy! We've seen F1 cars pulling alongside another that is using DRS without him using it... Or a Super Aguri pulling alongside a McLaren in Canada 2007.

TrevorAustin
31-05-2015, 15:37
Yes I'm not convinced of this, going flat out in 5th on the final bends at Le Mans is great, but doing it a couple of meters behind a nother car feels wrong, it seems I should be losing a lot of grip? But I don't. Fun though.

dyr_gl
31-05-2015, 16:49
Not sure how sensitive LMP1 are when cornering in close proximity, but the time I spent with Formula A I didn't seem to lose much grip if any...

spinkick
31-05-2015, 16:51
Your car will even pick up more heat if you draft a lot because of the reduced airflow.

However, is cooling different depending on the car? The radiator is not in the front of all the cars..

N0body Of The Goat
31-05-2015, 16:56
I'm pretty sure there is a "dirty air factor" implemented when trying to follow the car in front in close proximity through a corner, when driving cars with aero wings. You will understeer in a big way, if you try to take the corner at the same competitive speed, compared to when you are driving alone.